• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Mewtwo was relatively unpopular during Brawl's development, prompting other characters to be prioritized over him.

Now he's more relevant and popular that ever.
Low priority in Brawl doesn't necessarily mean low priority again.

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
I had a little epiphany today.
I always knew that "slots" were largely irrelevant, but I didn't realize just how irrelevant they were until today.

People are literally using the little boxes on the character select screen as the basis to add characters.
This is visual. When speaking technically, there has ALWAYS been an imbalance in character representation.

So ask yourself this: Is Sakurai going to leave out an important character like Mewtwo just because Pokemon would have more boxes on the CSS than Mario?

Nope.
This is the smartest thing I've seen all day.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
M2Y can be a Boss by those words too.

Ain't it good?

Everyone thinks that they're playing 11-dimensional chess and completely overlooking the very clear insinuation that Snake is gone. Just like people are overanalysing Ridley's shadow. A cake is just a cake.

We'll see who comes down on the right.

Right. Evidence shows Lucas is very likely gone. A 47 character roster reinforces that because there's not enough room for him to return. At least not without someone else losing their slot.

Why would Mewtwo and Roy(two characters they've made before) take longer than a brand new character(Wolf) and two other characters they've made before(Tink + Jiggs)? That makes no sense, unless Mewtwo was just a lower priority(which was my point all along). You don't half-do your big hitters unless you don't consider them big hitters.

Not trivial. Ambiguous, enough so that it can be inferred that Mewtwo is a boss character because his split Mega Evolution along with his Legendary status screams Boss treatment.
Ok, really, how likely is it that Mega Mewtwo Y is a boss? Bosses in Smash are traditionally (and still seem to be) very large enemies that are fairly easy to hit and rack up damage on. Mewtwo, in all forms, is fairly small, relatively the size of a playable character. How would a Mega Mewtwo Y (which is Mewtwo's smallest form) boss work? Not to mention that this supposed boss would have to appear on a Pokemon stage, and no Pokemon stage we've seen suggest or would fit a Mewtwo boss.

Quite frankly, this "Mega Mewtwo Y is a boss" claim of yours doesn't have much logical reasoning behind it.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
You know, the only characters that I believe that I am genuinely against joining the roster are characters with the the name "Dark (Protagonist name)". I dunno why, characters like Dark Samus, Dark Pit, and Shadow Mario just induces feelings in me that keeps me from wanting to see them playable.

Maybe its my desire to see whole franchise representation, and just slapping on an evil title on an existing character would feel particularly lazy.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
You know, the only characters that I believe that I am genuinely against joining the roster are characters with the the name "Dark (Protagonist name)". I dunno why, characters like Dark Samus, Dark Pit, and Shadow Mario just induces feelings in me that keeps me from wanting to see them playable.

Maybe its my desire to see whole franchise representation, and just slapping on an evil title on an existing character would feel particularly lazy.
o mein iz no biggy ah mean u got dem yung frsh based dark fox dark falco dark wolf dark link dark toon link dark pit culur palets in brawl scho dont u worry dood y wood dey thro in dark characterz lik dat idk man

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
o mein iz no biggy ah mean u got dem yung frsh based dark fox dark falco dark wolf dark link dark toon link dark pit culur palets in brawl scho dont u worry dood y wood dey thro in dark characterz lik dat idk man
Those...those are words.

I understood, albeit with difficulty

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
That would also mean Sonic's gone too though, because Sega didn't have any idea about it either, and never said "no comment" But I guess people are overanaylizing it just like Ridley, they're obviously both in. :awesome:
They didn't say they didn't know. They said it would be nice for Sonic to be in Smash. That's nowhere near 'I don't know'.

Eh, I think we're getting more than 47, but too each their own, and by someone else, do you mean Ness? Because I can still see his cut happening.
If Ness is cut, it'll be after Lucas is gone. There's zero reason to keep Lucas when Gematsu itself states that he's likely gone, his 'opponent' is an O12, and Earthbound is a favorite of Sakurai's. Remember that bias?

Probably because they were harder to make, as Toon Link has the same attacks as Link, just a different gravity style, Jiggly is easier to make due to her body shape resembling Kirby's (like in 64), and Wolf had some of the same specials as Fox, which is easier to make than Mewtwo (who has a completely original moveset) and Roy (who I believe would have been more of a semi-clone, like Wolf, but just lower priority than him)
Mewtwo's moveset was already made in Melee, though. They didn't have to come up with anything. The work was already done. Again, if Mewtwo were half as important to Smash as people like to claim, Sakurai would have made time for him somewhere down the line. The signs point instead to Sakurai just deciding Mewtwo wasn't worth it, fan wrath be damned. If Sakurai decided Mewtwo was poison to make playable in Smash, then his comment could easily be read as 'we're considering M2Y as an encounter somewhere in the game' and that encounter would be as a Boss or Boss Hazard.

Mewtwo was relatively unpopular during Brawl's development, prompting other characters to be prioritized over him.

Now he's more relevant and popular that ever.
Low priority in Brawl doesn't necessarily mean low priority again.
He missed his boat. Greninja reps X/Y in the playable department. Lucario proved popular enough to stay in the game. Mewtwo burned out and got cut. If he's lucky, he's a Boss, otherwise he's a non-rep again. I don't see a cut character being re-added, especially if Sakurai had difficulty in making him work the first time.

Ok, really, how likely is it that Mega Mewtwo Y is a boss? Bosses in Smash are traditionally (and still seem to be) very large enemies that are fairly easy to hit and rack up damage on. Mewtwo, in all forms, is fairly small, relatively the size of a playable character. How would a Mega Mewtwo Y (which is Mewtwo's smallest form) boss work? Not to mention that this supposed boss would have to appear on a Pokemon stage, and no Pokemon stage we've seen suggest or would fit a Mewtwo boss.

Quite frankly, this "Mega Mewtwo Y is a boss" claim of yours doesn't have much logical reasoning behind it.
You don't need to be gigantic to be a boss. He could be slow, and thus easy to hit if the players chose to engage him. Boss Hazards aren't supposed to instantly be the focus of the fight, they're supposed to be a perk that shows up.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Developers change their mind all the time. Priorities may shift and other companies may intervene. If this wasn't true, then we wouldn't have gotten Villager and Miis.

Mewtwo may or may not be low priority. We have no idea how Mewtwo will fair this time. However, we do know that he is in a different spotlight -- a spotlight that's gaining more attention compared to his time during Brawl.

Mewtwo does need some tweaks, or even a rework if they'll willing to put in the time and effort.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Not to mention Mewtwo was the first Pokemon shown to have been given a Mega Evolution. Plus you had to go into a specific cave in X & Y in order to face off against and catch him. Plus he was featured in the anime in his Mega Y form and will also appear in the Diancie movie. He's pretty high up there in terms of how much attention he's getting.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
They didn't say they didn't know. They said it would be nice for Sonic to be in Smash. That's nowhere near 'I don't know'.

If Ness is cut, it'll be after Lucas is gone. There's zero reason to keep Lucas when Gematsu itself states that he's likely gone, his 'opponent' is an O12, and Earthbound is a favorite of Sakurai's. Remember that bias?

Mewtwo's moveset was already made in Melee, though. They didn't have to come up with anything. The work was already done. Again, if Mewtwo were half as important to Smash as people like to claim, Sakurai would have made time for him somewhere down the line. The signs point instead to Sakurai just deciding Mewtwo wasn't worth it, fan wrath be damned. If Sakurai decided Mewtwo was poison to make playable in Smash, then his comment could easily be read as 'we're considering M2Y as an encounter somewhere in the game' and that encounter would be as a Boss or Boss Hazard.

He missed his boat. Greninja reps X/Y in the playable department. Lucario proved popular enough to stay in the game. Mewtwo burned out and got cut. If he's lucky, he's a Boss, otherwise he's a non-rep again. I don't see a cut character being re-added, especially if Sakurai had difficulty in making him work the first time.

You don't need to be gigantic to be a boss. He could be slow, and thus easy to hit if the players chose to engage him. Boss Hazards aren't supposed to instantly be the focus of the fight, they're supposed to be a perk that shows up.
Bosses are already slow. Mega Mewtwo Y would just be really annoying to deal with as a boss. And if Yellow Devil is any indication, bosses aren't just some perk that shows up that isn't the focus of the fight. That thing takes up a significant portion of the stage, and by simply moving it damages anyone on the stage. It's actually kind of a nuisance.

Also, you didn't answer the question of where Boss Mewtwo would be. Lumiose Ciry seems out of the question for a number of obvious reasons, and the Pokemon League stage is more suited for one of the Elite Four's Pokemon being a boss rather than a wild Legendary Pokemon. So unless there's another Pokemon stage like Cerulean Cave (which is a very unlikely stage) for Mewtwo to be a boss on, the chances of Mewtwo being a boss are very slim.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
As for Mewtwo being a character, I don't think he'll be coming back, even though he was one of my sub-mains in Melee. The reason why I say this is because as of now, the Pokemon franchise already has Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard and Greninja, which makes them as of now tied with Legend of Zelda as the second largest group of playable characters in the game, only being beat by the Mushroom Kingdom. Though I could be wrong, only time will tell.

However, when the games were first announced, I made a prediction list as of characters I think would make it, (This is no joke):

1. Palutena
2. Pac-Man
3. Spyro
4. Krystal
5. Chrom
6. Dr. Eggman

So far as of today, I got my first two correct so let's see if my other character predictions follow the trend. :shades:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Bosses are already slow. Mega Mewtwo Y would just be really annoying to deal with as a boss. And if Yellow Devil is any indication, bosses aren't just some perk that shows up that isn't the focus of the fight. That thing takes up a significant portion of the stage, and by simply moving it damages anyone on the stage. It's actually kind of a nuisance.

Also, you didn't answer the question of where Boss Mewtwo would be. Lumiose Ciry seems out of the question for a number of obvious reasons, and the Pokemon League stage is more suited for one of the Elite Four's Pokemon being a boss rather than a wild Legendary Pokemon. So unless there's another Pokemon stage like Cerulean Cave (which is a very unlikely stage) for Mewtwo to be a boss on, the chances of Mewtwo being a boss are very slim.
You can ignore the Yellow Devil, he telegraphs all of his attacks rather heavily. Is his eye glowing? Here comes an energy shot. Did he close his eye? He's gonna do the block shift. I imagine other Bosses would do the same(Ridley, K. Rool, Dark Emperor). As far as stages, I could see the spot where you encounter the cover Legendary or Pokemon Forest and Cerulean Cave if they really want to highlight Mewtwo's boss fight(and if we see that stage at all, I'd really start making peace with the idea of Boss Mewtwo).

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
As for Mewtwo being a character, I don't think he'll be coming back, even though he was one of my sub-mains in Melee. The reason why I say this is because as of now, the Pokemon franchise already has Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard and Greninja, which makes them as of now tied with Legend of Zelda as the second largest group of playable characters in the game, only being beat by the Mushroom Kingdom. Though I could be wrong, only time will tell.

Pokemon has a larger fanbase than Zelda does. And more sales. And a crapton more games. Not that this totally determines who gets in or not, but I won't be surprised at all if I do see more Pokemon reps than Zelda reps.

Last edited:

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Pokemon has a larger fanbase than Zelda does. And more sales. And a crapton more games. Not that this totally determines who gets in or not, but it would make me less surprised if I do see more Pokemon reps than Zelda.
We'll just have to see when October comes around. As much as I love Pokemon myself, I just don't think Mewtwo will make it as a playable character, but rather as a Pokemon in a Master Ball, which would be cool.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You can ignore the Yellow Devil, he telegraphs all of his attacks rather heavily. Is his eye glowing? Here comes an energy shot. Did he close his eye? He's gonna do the block shift. I imagine other Bosses would do the same(Ridley, K. Rool, Dark Emperor). As far as stages, I could see the spot where you encounter the cover Legendary or Pokemon Forest and Cerulean Cave if they really want to highlight Mewtwo's boss fight(and if we see that stage at all, I'd really start making peace with the idea of Boss Mewtwo).
Even if Yellow Devil telegraphs its moves, that doesn't mean you can just choose to ignore it. The range of its attacks are quite huge, and even if you can avoid those, you still have opposing players to try and deal with. A lot of players who played on that stage in the demo complained about the Yellow Devil, in fact, saying how it's far too intrusive on fights and ruins the stage. It isn't something you can just ignore, which is what most bosses we've seen so far are like. I don't see why they would make a boss so functionally different from the standard like Mega Mewtwo Y.

And I would say all those stages you suggested are fairly unlikely. Pokemon Village just isn't notable enough of a location to be made into a stage, and Team Flare's base, while a bit more likely, would be more suited for a Xerneas/Yveltal/Mega Gyarados boss. Really, I fail to see how Mega Mewtwo Y being a boss is in anywhere near a likely possibility.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Haha, I feel the same way. Those "dark clone" characters... it's like, if you're gonna make an "dark" version of the protag, why continue this overused trope? Why not come up with a more original clone idea? Although some of them do have their own personality and whatnot, I still feel as though something more original would have been cooler.

They only one I would be okay with is Dark Samus if no Ridley lol NOPE Dark Pit cuz I think he's sexier than regular Pit lol. But even then, because of how Uprising has a lot of representation already (hooray for Sakurai's favoritism! :glare:), I'm going to cringe at a 2nd KI newcomer.

Still, it wouldn't even surprise me if we get Dark Pit or another KI character, ah ha. I personally would like Dark Pit as a updated alt costume for Pit. Different voice, maybe different visual effects for some of Pit's moves, etc., stuff like that.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I can't get behind the idea of them being limited to a 47 plus random character roster just because of the size of the 3ds screen, the roster is made to suit the amount of characters, not the other way around, and honestly it's not like they cannot shrink the boxes or have the screen slide to the sides.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
We'll just have to see when October comes around. As much as I love Pokemon myself, I just don't think Mewtwo will make it as a playable character, but rather as a Pokemon in a Master Ball, which would be cool.

Idk, him as a playable character would be pretty satisfactory for those who actually want to play as him again. I think he's more likely to be playable than him being a Pokeball Pokemon. I'm taking into account Sakurai saying he was "thinking about it" a while back and how they made Greninja's body and hands look like Mewtwo's in the reveal trailer prior to his reveal in the trailer, haha. Those are all pretty blatant teases brah.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Haha, I feel the same way. Those "dark clone" characters... it's like, if you're gonna make an "dark" version of the protag, why continue this overused trope? Why not come up with a more original clone idea? Although some of them do have their own personality and whatnot, I still feel as though something more original would have been cooler.

They only one I would be okay with is Dark Samus if no Ridley lol NOPE Dark Pit cuz I think he's sexier than regular Pit lol. But even then, because of how Uprising has a lot of representation already (hooray for Sakurai's favoritism! :glare:), I'm going to cringe at a 2nd KI newcomer.

Still, it wouldn't even surprise me if we get Dark Pit or another KI character, ah ha.
The only other feasible KI rep in my opinion is Medusa or Hades.

And I admit, I was also against Dark Samus, but at the very least Dark Samus is PHYSICALLY different from Samus. What the hell is Dark Pit going to do for alternate colors?

As for Ridley, I wouldn't worry about him. A good chunk of things seem to point towards him being playable.

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Even if Yellow Devil telegraphs its moves, that doesn't mean you can just choose to ignore it. The range of its attacks are quite huge, and even if you can avoid those, you still have opposing players to try and deal with. A lot of players who played on that stage in the demo complained about the Yellow Devil, in fact, saying how it's far too intrusive on fights and ruins the stage. It isn't something you can just ignore, which is what most bosses we've seen so far are like. I don't see why they would make a boss so functionally different from the standard like Mega Mewtwo Y.
I chose my words poorly. I meant rather that you could mitigate the Yellow Devil's presence reasonably easily, like you could mitigate the lava on prior stages or other hazards. You still need to deal with him, but that doesn't necessarily mean engage him(indeed, some savvy players use him for cover whilst taking a break). I assume Bosses will come in several varieties, not just big hulking thing to punch to death.

And I would say all those stages you suggested are fairly unlikely. Pokemon Village just isn't notable enough of a location to be made into a stage, and Team Flare's base, while a bit more likely, would be more suited for a Xerneas/Yveltal/Mega Gyarados boss. Really, I fail to see how Mega Mewtwo Y being a boss is in anywhere near a likely possibility.
It would allow Mewtwo to be represented without needing to be made playable, which Sakurai seems to think doesn't work well. Xerneas is a Pokeball, so that rules him out. Yveltal's status is unknown, and Mega Gyarados doesn't carry the star power to be a significant boss. Mewtwo's Mega forms would allow people to be wowed without him intruding on the total roster.

Last edited:

Espio264

Smash Ace
Here's a slot theory for you all to knock around:

In Melee, Mario had 5 reps on the selection screen. Zelda and Pokemon had 4 each on the selection screen. Series representation was presented horizontally.

In Brawl, all 3 series had 4 reps on the selection screen, and for the sake of magical symmetry and whatever, it worked out to display the series vertically.

From what they've shown with the demos and at E3, the CSS is going to be with series representation displayed horizontally once again. We know that Mario has 5 characters, and Zelda is going to end up with 5. If Pokemon were to only have one more character, as in just Jiggs, and the magical CSS franchise symmetry was restored, then the layout would be vertical again, RIGHT?

It only makes sense that the amount of reps was not equal among the big 3, and therefore we've reverted back to a horizontal CSS.

If you treat Mewtwo like it's a thing without feelings, it'll burn down your island and laugh in your ashes.

Ivysaur is an acceptable answer as well.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Here's a slot theory for you all to knock around:

In Melee, Mario had 5 reps on the selection screen. Zelda and Pokemon had 4 each on the selection screen. Series representation was presented horizontally.

In Brawl, all 3 series had 4 reps on the selection screen, and for the sake of magical symmetry and whatever, it worked out to display the series vertically.

From what they've shown with the demos and at E3, the CSS is going to be with series representation displayed horizontally once again. We know that Mario has 5 characters, and Zelda is going to end up with 5. If Pokemon were to only have one more character, as in just Jiggs, and the magical CSS franchise symmetry was restored, then the layout would be vertical again, RIGHT?

It only makes sense that the amount of reps was not equal among the big 3, and therefore we've reverted back to a horizontal CSS.

If you treat Mewtwo like it's a thing without feelings, it'll burn down your island and laugh in your ashes.

Ivysaur is an acceptable answer as well.
.. Huh? What's your assertion here, that the layout of the CSS demands that either it be five tall to enforce vertical symmetry or Pokemon has six reps? Why can't it just be five horizontal, with incidentals further to the right(KI, DK, Starfox, etc)? Plus, if we're arguing layouts(OH BOY) then the altered layout of the 3DS versus the Wii U suggests 47 + Random(if the CSS scrolled, why change the layout?), which means there's no room for Mewtwo with Jigglypuff's return.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Mii Fighters and Random can be the same slot.

Customization on, Mii Fighters.
Customization off, Random.

The Treehouse guys said that the Mii Fighters have some sort of special slot, right?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I chose my words poorly. I meant rather that you could mitigate the Yellow Devil's presence reasonably easily, like you could mitigate the lava on prior stages or other hazards. You still need to deal with him, but that doesn't necessarily mean engage him(indeed, some savvy players use him for cover whilst taking a break). I assume Bosses will come in several varieties, not just big hulking thing to punch to death.

It would allow Mewtwo to be represented without needing to be made playable, which Sakurai seems to think doesn't work well. Xerneas is a Pokeball, so that rules him out. Yveltal's status is unknown, and Mega Gyarados doesn't carry the star power to be a significant boss. Mewtwo's Mega forms would allow people to be wowed without him intruding on the total roster.
The fact that Mewtwo was playable at a time and was planned for every game thus far would indicate that Sakurai thinks he works as a playable character. Just because he was cut doesn't mean that Sakurai thinks Mewtwo can't work as a character. That's an assumption on your part, and one that isn't supported well by evidence.

Also, "intruding" on the roster? That's a rather harsh way of putting it. Mewtwo is one of, if not THE most, requested characters for Smash in the world. His presence on the roster would be almost universally welcomed. Also, I can guarantee that people would not be "wowed" by Mewtwo being a boss. They would be livid. Just look at how people reacted to Ridley being a boss in Brawl, and how they reacted to him being hinted at being a boss now. People want those all-stars playable, and nothing less.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Imagine the backlash if Ridley is confirmed to be a boss.

Multiply that by 10.

There you have it, the backlash if Mewtwo is confirmed as a boss.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Oh hey guys, wanna hear some poetry? Or a collection of stupid puns? Ok, here we go!

I wanna jiggle on your puffs.
Wanna mew too?
I'm going to peek at chu.
Luke, are we ole?
I spotted a gray ninja.
The charcoal is ours! (I tried)

The Treehouse guys said that the Mii Fighters have some sort of special slot, right?
Yeah something like that. Maybe it'd be available in the name menu, or when you turn on customizations. I think the latter would make more sense, the question is where it would be placed. I can't see choosing "Mii Fighters" with the marker on the Random slot as anything intuitive. Probably somewhere else on the character portrait that anyone can access?

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
The only other feasible KI rep in my opinion is Medusa or Hades.

And I admit, I was also against Dark Samus, but at the very least Dark Samus is PHYSICALLY different from Samus. What the hell is Dark Pit going to do for alternate colors?

As for Ridley, I wouldn't worry about him. A good chunk of things seem to point towards him being playable.
I'm sure Dark Pit could work if Sakurai's determined about it. I would prefer Medusa, and even Hades before him, however, Sakurai has teased Dark Pit a few times (Figma pic, Dark Pit's theme at April Direct, Palutena's trailer and artwork) which is why I'm keeping my eyes on him. I think Dark Pit being an AT is out (we already have 2 KI ATs), and a Boss would be kinda awkward imo (but it's still possible, stage hazard could work as well). Costume would be the best scenario for me.

D

Deleted member

I'm listening for your counterargument. Protip: fan opinion doesn't matter to Sakurai, so might want to dump the 'but the faaaaanz' plea.
My counterargument?
My counterargument is that you're full of it and making "arguments" that show you're pulling random assumptions out your rectum.

You assume that Mewtwo was near completion and Sakurai axed him just because he didn't like him.
Now, ignoring that this is a completely pathetic argument to begin with, let's address the flaws.
1. Mewtwo was not near completion. If he was, he wouldn't have been scrapped in the first place and this conversation wouldn't be happening.
2. Mewtwo, much like the rest of the scrapped characters in Brawl's data (sans "pra_mai" since there's very little to understand about it) was a case of time constraints.
The talk quickly shifted gears to the game itself, starting off with the selection of the characters. "Smash Bros. is a project blessed with the fact that characters from many games are involved," Sakurai opened. The first interesting tidbit he dropped during his talk was that the final character roster was essentially completed when the design document was finalized on July 7, 2005. That was, the character list was done 2½ years before the game was completed. Sakurai said the reasoning behind this was that he knew making additions later during development would be very difficult.

To prevent this master plan from becoming a problem in the long run, Sakurai's design was constructed with the goal of trying to include as much of it as possible within the allotted time. In that way, late cuts could be made without sacrificing the production schedule. The only exception to this plan was the late addition of Sonic. He was not added into the game until some time last year, though Sakurai didn't elaborate on how they incorporated him into the game relatively quickly.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/15390/sakurai-speaks-on-brawl-character-development

"What happened in the next year and a half was that we distilled the game down, worked out which ideas we had time to include and which we didn't. Sadly, we had to trim out many great concepts just to keep within the time contraints. I had a lot more characters, for example.. but sadly I can't discuss which ones didn't make it."
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/4964/sakurai-cut-characters-from-smash-bros/

Need I go on?

Last edited by a moderator:

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Oh hey guys, wanna hear some poetry? Or a collection of stupid puns? Ok, here we go!

I wanna jiggle on your puffs.
Wanna mew too?
I'm going to peek at chu.
Luke, are we ole?
I spotted a gray ninja.
The charcoal is ours! (I tried)
Completely ONIX-PECTED!!! :facepalm:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings

That seems rather clunky. I believe the spot will be dimmed in modes Mii Fighters are deemed invalid in. Or maybe some workaround will be revealed by Nintendo that'll allow Miis but disallow their customizations, or something else. They are a strange double-standard. In addition, you may still want to do a Random Select even if customizations are enabled, so it makes no sense for the Random button to vanish.

The fact that Mewtwo was playable at a time and was planned for every game thus far would indicate that Sakurai thinks he works as a playable character. Just because he was cut doesn't mean that Sakurai thinks Mewtwo can't work as a character. That's an assumption on your part, and one that isn't supported well by evidence.
I believe Sakurai thought that when he included him in Melee, but in Brawl he just decided it wasn't worth it and focused his efforts elsewhere. It makes sense given the work already complete. Why save a star player for last unless they're not actually a star player?

Also, "intruding" on the roster? That's a rather harsh way of putting it. Mewtwo is one of, if not THE most, requested characters for Smash in the world. His presence on the roster would be almost universally welcomed. Also, I can guarantee that people would not be "wowed" by Mewtwo being a boss. They would be livid. Just look at how people reacted to Ridley being a boss in Brawl, and how they reacted to him being hinted at being a boss now. People want those all-stars playable, and nothing less.
Smashboards is not the general public. Ridley's boss status wasn't gnashed over by most, and while Mewtwo's removal was met with confusion, it was nothing near the overreaction that was the collective board on Jan. 31st, 2008.
Imagine the backlash if Ridley is confirmed to be a boss.

Multiply that by 10.

There you have it, the backlash if Mewtwo is confirmed as a boss.
Still not a terribly large number. Here, yes, but this is an echo chamber. The general public will accept it and move on blissfully. Besides, Sakurai may well believe we got our demand sated with Little Mac, Mega Man, and the triumphant return of the most-requested 3rd party ever, Sonic! Now back to what he likes.

Espio264

Smash Ace
.. Huh? What's your assertion here, that the layout of the CSS demands that either it be five tall to enforce vertical symmetry or Pokemon has six reps? Why can't it just be five horizontal, with incidentals further to the right(KI, DK, Starfox, etc)? Plus, if we're arguing layouts(OH BOY) then the altered layout of the 3DS versus the Wii U suggests 47 + Random(if the CSS scrolled, why change the layout?), which means there's no room for Mewtwo with Jigglypuff's return.
No, we're arguing that no franchise can have more characters than Mario. We're arguing that the roster size is EASILY DIVISIBLE NUMBER X - 1 for the Random button. We're arguing that if all of these golden numbers turn out the way they did in Brawl, why have we gone back to a layout reminiscent of Melee, that wasn't perfect?

We should really be arguing that this is Sakurai, and that if we think our numbers and theories and Sal Romanos mean ****, then we've all been morons from the start.

D

Deleted member

Actually, thinking more about it, the theory about Mii replacing the Random slot makes a ton of sense. That's because you will likely change Miis either with menu that pops up, or by the regular color change option. Either way, if you were to choose random, you have no idea what Mii you would get, and that could result in a completely different moveset every time. The same applies to every character with their custom moves. Normally, picking random would result in getting one character and that's it. But now, with so many more options, I can't really see it happening anymore.

D

Deleted member

Another point to consider:

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1970393/pokemon_in_super_smash_bros_how_theyre_selected.html

Pikachu out prioritized Mewtwo due to being...well....Pikachu.
Pokémon Trainer out prioritized Mewtwo due to Sakurai focusing on the team gimmick he wanted to incorporate (information in regards to PT's addition come from a 2008 Famitsu article).
Lucario out prioritized Mewtwo due to being the "hot" Pokémon (which Mewtwo was not at the time; very little promotion, no recent anime roles, etc.).
Jigglypuff, like Mewtwo, was low priority compared to the other Pokémon for the same above reasons. The difference between Jigglypuff and Mewtwo? Jigglypuff didn't require much work, with essentially a copypasta model (with touch-ups) and copypasta animations (evident with Jigglypuff's Air Dodge animation trying to make a transition to the Helpless animation, which doesn't occur with a Brawl Air Dodge).
Mewtwo merely got the short end of the stick.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm sure Dark Pit could work if Sakurai's determined about it. I would prefer Medusa, and even Hades before him, however, Sakurai has teased Dark Pit a few times (Figma pic, Dark Pit's theme at April Direct, Palutena's trailer and artwork) which is why I'm keeping my eyes on him. I think Dark Pit being an AT is out (we already have 2 KI ATs), and a Boss would be kinda awkward imo (but it's still possible, stage hazard could work as well). Costume would be the best scenario for me.
Yeah, I have no idea what the hell is going on with Dark Pit. Unlike Ridley, Dark Pit HAS been clearly shown a couple of times. So why not just say he's playable if he's playable?

The only thing I can imagine is that Dark Pit is foreshadowing another KI rep. It's a bit of a tossup between Medusa and Hades, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom