• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Oh gosh people look the guy is saying that the Mario THEORY states that so far no franchise has had more SLOTS on the Character Selection Screen (CSS or roster) than Mario (without counting Yoshi, DK or Wario as Mario characters).
I'm not saying i believe it, but it's called a THEORY for a reason, so please don't argue with him about a theory he believes.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Even if the CSS thing worked back then, it wouldn't work anymore, seeing how transformations are now gone...
Right, now each character is truly independent. Which means we've seen all of the Mario characters, Ganondorf remains the only unrevealed Zelda character, and Jigglypuff is the only Pokemon character yet to be revealed. According to the theory, the only way Mewtwo gets in is if Mario gets a character, which is exceedingly unlikely(Rosalina was already out there, and 47 + Random seems to be the roster).

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Oh gosh people look the guy is saying that the Mario THEORY states that so far no franchise has had more SLOTS on the Character Selection Screen (CSS or roster) than Mario (without counting Yoshi, DK or Wario as Mario characters).
I'm not saying i believe it, but it's called a THEORY for a reason, so please don't argue with him about a theory he believes.
Except I am going to argue against it when they use a THEORY as "definitive" proof of Mewtwo not being in the game. Which is stupid anyway.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Except I am going to argue against it when they use a THEORY as "definitive" proof of Mewtwo not being in the game. Which is stupid anyway.
It's a valid tool that hasn't been disproven yet. I see no reason to discard it until something does discredit it. And as per it, Mewtwo is gone.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
But it's just his prediction, nobody is telling you that you have to agree with it, the theory is there and it has valid reasoning, i personally think that it's just a coincidental pattern so far. But my point is that wether you believe it or not is up to everyone so there is no use in trying to convice him otherwise because we don't know if Mewtwo is in the game or not yet, he just chose to believe that it's not, so let him be.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
It's a valid tool that hasn't been disproven yet. I see no reason to discard it until something does discredit it. And as per it, Mewtwo is gone.
It's definitely valid, but nobody can prove wether Mewtwo is in the game or not so let's not jump to conclusions, if you think he is probably not returning that's fine but you can just state he's 100% gone just yet.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
It's definitely valid, but nobody can prove wether Mewtwo is in the game or not so let's not jump to conclusions, if you think he is probably not returning that's fine but you can just state he's 100% gone just yet.
Fair enough, you're welcome to believe what you like. I just think history is repeating itself in regard to the roster size and content(people ignoring what they don't want to hear, claiming a reasonable number of slots is too small due to 'fan favorites' not being able to fit, claiming that certain characters are 'too important to ignore') and am explaining why it makes sense to think the roster is what I think it is.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
He's shown no evidence to that effect Unless Pokemon didn't have more than four reps' worth of worthy characters to put in Brawl(like, y'know, Mewtwo).

Brawl CSS:

Mario Series -

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser

Pokemon -

Pikachu
Lucario
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer

Four to four. Mario Theory is inviolate. I could point out how this theory survives the other two games too, if you like.

Incorrect. They started in the Mario universe, but are now their own franchises(as per Wooly World, DKC Returns, and WarioWare). Unless you think K. Rool is a Mario rep too or Ashley. Even Diddy Kong suffers from that problem, and I'm positive he only came about from DKC, which had nothing to do with Mario.
How many times do i have to tell you guys pokemon trainer is not 1 character and not even the character, its squirtle, ivysaur, charizard as 1 slot.

So

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Lucario
Charizard
Squirtle
Ivysaur

Thats all of the playable pokemon in brawl.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
How many times do i have to tell you guys pokemon trainer is not 1 character and not even the character, its squirtle, ivysaur, charizard as 1 slot.

So

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Lucario
Charizard
Squirtle
Ivysaur

Thats all of the playable pokemon in brawl.
Please read what i wrote and don't start this argument again

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's a pretty bad theory then. The Brawl roster has always been viewed by Sakurai as being 39 characters, and they aren't going to just go "Woops, Pokémon is at the same amount as Mario, too bad for Mewtwo." If they want a character in they're going to include that character, no matter franchises.

It's like the Original 12 deal, finding patterns where they're just coincidental.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
That's a pretty bad theory then. The Brawl roster has always been viewed by Sakurai as being 39 characters, and they aren't going to just go "Woops, Pokémon is at the same amount as Mario, too bad for Mewtwo." If they want a character in they're going to include that character, no matter franchises.

It's like the Original 12 deal, finding patterns where they're just coincidental.
And Sakurai obviously feels zero pressure to cave to fan demand. If the Mario Theory is baseless, then that's even worse, because it would imply Mewtwo is unwanted by Sakurai, and Jigglypuff is going nowhere. Sakurai bias confirmed.

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
3DS Roster.png

Here is my update roster! :drflip:

- 51 Playable characters
- 15 Newcomers
- 3 Cuts (Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle)
- Mewtwo return

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If we're talking about patterns that have yet to be disproven, then I guess Krystal is a lock since every Smash game has introduced a new Star Fox character.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Might I remind everyone that both Dr. Mario and Mewtwo were planned for Brawl. Data suggests Dr. Mario was scrapped due to time constraints BEFORE Mewtwo. If they had enough time to make one more character, Mewtwo would be in. So yeah, slots my ***.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

- 51 Playable characters
- 15 Newcomers
- Mewtwo return
I would be okay with this.

If we're talking about patterns that have yet to be disproven, then I guess Krystal is a lock since every Smash game has introduced a new Star Fox character.
I would be really okay with this.

Ridley + K. Rool + Mewtwo = Instabuy

The only change I would make is adding a Zelda newcomer. In terms of likeliness, I'd cut Lucas to make room.

If we had to change it ever so slightly, I'd fit Snake in. Though I can't say I'd want to cut Lucas.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Lol at this conversation.

I still believe in Mewtwo, he was teased during the Greninja trailer in that they removed the dorsal fin and webbed hands in the tease prior to his reveal.

I believe in Mewtwo. He's a big boi with big tail. And big balls. Shadow balls.

Big boi big balls. Of shadow.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
If we had to change it ever so slightly, I'd fit Snake in. Though I can't say I'd want to cut Lucas.
I don't want Lucas cut either.
But because of the Gematsu leak, it seems that if someone was cut after Snake, it would be Lucas.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
View attachment 17323

- 51 Playable characters
- 15 Newcomers
- Mewtwo return
Needs a new retro character and I think you're set for your prediction roster, but if you're gonna have the Gematsu characters you gotta at least cut one of the Mother characters.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Every Smash game has introduced a new version of Link.

Ravio confirmed

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
So the Gematsu leak is saying it's gonna bring in three more big bois.

Big boi big fanbase (Chrom).

Big boi big sword (Shulk).

And some big bois with big mouths (Chorus Men).

So I guess we could call it the big boi leak!

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I had a little epiphany today.
I always knew that "slots" were largely irrelevant, but I didn't realize just how irrelevant they were until today.

People are literally using the little boxes on the character select screen as the basis to add characters.
This is visual. When speaking technically, there has ALWAYS been an imbalance in character representation.

So ask yourself this: Is Sakurai going to leave out an important character like Mewtwo just because Pokemon would have more boxes on the CSS than Mario?

Nope.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
By the way, was is even the point of making a roster when we already know the roster?
Do we look like we have anything better to do?

If we were all going to do something with our lives, we would be out doing it. Not making imaginary video game crossover rosters on our computers.

How dare you ask such a nonsensical question.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
I had a little epiphany today.
I always knew that "slots" were largely irrelevant, but I didn't realize just how irrelevant they were until today.

People are literally using the little boxes on the character select screen as the basis to add characters.
This is visual. When speaking technically, there has ALWAYS been an imbalance in character representation.

So ask yourself this: Is Sakurai going to leave out an important character like Mewtwo just because Pokemon would have more boxes on the CSS than Mario?

Nope.
He did in Brawl. And even if he didn't, Doc wasn't far behind, so CSS would still be equal.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Ah, quit griping, Sakurai had to replace Toon Link somehow, right?
I love Toon Link a lot more than I do Link, as a character and with his playstyle.
I'm going to reword that statement so what I meant is more obvious.
It's already bad enough that Toon Link and Link utilize the same moveset, even though the two of the have shown the ability to utilize the master sword in different ways and have special items that are unique to both of them.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
He did in Brawl. And even if he didn't, Doc wasn't far behind, so CSS would still be equal.
Mewtwo was almost complete.
Doc was cut fairly early on, especially compared to Mewtwo and even Roy.

Sakurai isn't going to leave an incredibly important and popular character like Mewtwo out so that you can be OCD about character representation on the freaking select screen.

The whole argument is idiotic, quite frankly.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Mario has 6 characters. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Yoshi. I'll give Donkey Kong and Wario a pass since they appear less in Mario games, but Yoshi does appear in tons of Mario games even though he has his own series. There are probably more Mario games he shows up in than games he stars in.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
"We're gonna speculate about one thing and one thing only: The character roster in the new Super Smash Bros."

"I'm not going to conclude that certain characters are in or out by using unused data and some weird fan-made theories grounded on patterns spread out over three games as a basis for my reasoning, that's just stupid. I don't even know what that means."

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As a guy who has a fairly open mind, I have to say that I'm not buying this "Mario Theory" at all.

From what other people have said, when you look at it from a logical standpoint, there is simply no reason to think that Sakurai would look at his roster and say to himself "Wow, I can't add Mewtwo because Mario only has 5 characters! Oh noes!"

There is simply no data to say that the number of characters per series was entirely to do with the number of characters Mario has as a series. That's simply asinine thinking quite honestly. What we do know, is that Sakurai views the Brawl roster as 39 characters. In that case, Mario had 4, Zelda had 5, Pokemon had 6. On the logical side of things, there is no reason to believe that Mewtwo of all characters would be excluded from the game simply because Pokemon can't have more characters on the select screen. Even though by Sakurai's logic, Pokemon already had more characters in the game than Mario did.

Actually, I think it's arguable there is a loophole in this "theory". When you place your icon over Pokemon Trainer, the slot comes up at the bottom with all three Pokemon for you to choose. Same with Zelda/Sheik. While they may not take up a slot on the character select section, they still show up when selecting characters.

In my opinion, this "Theory" is more of an observation, and is one that pretty much everybody made. Just because Mario has always had the most characters or matched other series doesn't mean it was deliberately meant to happen that way.

Dr.Mario was most likely not added because Mario HAD to have the most characters. Sheik was not combined with Zelda because Mario had to have the most. PKMN Trainer wasn't all one slot because Mario had to have the most. It's a coincidental pattern. It doesn't mean anything.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The very best-case scenario for Pokemon:
Mewtwo. Jigglypuff, Squirtle, and Ivysaur return. Sceptile and Blaziken are confirmed.

All the basic Types are covered, and there is 2 of each Starter Type.

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
Roster.png

Red Border: DLC Character
Blue Border: In Game Roster

This is my final roster. Pretty close to what we will actually get and yes I do support the Sal leak 100%.
Has 47 Characters without DLC, but 4 more (Which can fit on a CSS on 3DS and WiiU) would make it 51.

But what I did is Sal did say there was talks of DLC in Smash4 post release. So I went a little crazy and added 4 characters I thought would be good as DLC characters.

Paper Mario: I was gonna go for Toad but Paper Mario makes a lot more sense to me. Could use a hammer would not be Mario clone.
Impa: Since Tingle is out, Impa would be the next best choice since she is in a lot of Zelda games.
Blaziken: Just a fanboy dream of mine lol. You could throw him in due to ORAS coming out soon. But some may argue Sceptile is better. Oh well just what I think though.
Issac: A good surprise character I would say. I never played Golden Sun but I thought it would be cool to put in.

I did not put in King K. Rool or Ridley because well I think they are better off to just be in another Smash installment. DLC character would be kinda weird to me for those two.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm pretty curious, do you guys truly have idea on what kind of character DLC were getting. There doesn't seem to be any logical basis with putting random popular newcomers as DLC to "satisfy" fans.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty curious, do you guys truly have idea on what kind of character DLC were getting. There doesn't seem to be any logical basis with putting random popular newcomers as DLC to "satisfy" fans.
I've said this multiple times before, but since we're bringing it up why not give my thoughts again. I am firmly behind the idea that there won't be newcomer DLC. Veterans sure, bring in the entire smash cast in one game together. But not only would newcomer DLC ruin a bit of the novelty of each new smash game to me, but there also wouldn't really be a limit. People would constantly be requesting newcomers as DLC and not only would that be a tedious job for Sakurai and Nintendo in general to handle, but if we actually did get consistent newcomer DLC, that limits the options for the next game.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
The very best-case scenario for Pokemon:
Mewtwo. Jigglypuff, Squirtle, and Ivysaur return. Sceptile and Blaziken are confirmed.

All the basic Types are covered, and there is 2 of each Starter Type.
That i think would definitely be an oversaturation of Pokémon characters.

Zynux

Smash Lord
By the way, was is even the point of making a roster when we already know the roster?
I don't understand. Are you implying that the Smash 4 roster has been objectively confirmed? Because that has not been the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom