• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
I think it's funny that people use the "jigglypuff was almost cut excuse." (Even tho she was just low priority not necessarily almost cut) To cut Jiggs but Then put k rool over Dixie on their rosters even tho she was almost made for brawl.

Last edited:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman

Here we finally go, my latest post-E3 2014 roster, in a 48 characters+Mii Fighter special design.

Here's also my roster containing other potential fighters that would make DLC or AT materials, including the cuts I've made:

EDIT: Replaced Ray with Takamaru.
If Snake returning as DLC isn't a reference to a Metal Gear 5 Wii U port, I wouldn't even bother saving a spot for a scam artist's character.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I think it's funny that people use the "jigglypuff was almost cut excuse." (Even tho she was just low priority not necessarily almost cut) To cut Jiggs but Then put k rool over Dixie on their rosters even tho she was almost made for brawl.
Yes, but she was made to be a tag-team with Diddy, which she obviously isn't now, so on that level, they're on even grounds.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
Yes, but she was made to be a tag-team with Diddy, which she obviously isn't now, so on that level, they're on even grounds.
I wouldn't say even playing grounds since she was even considered at all. And if they are made sheik and zero suit samus her own I feel like they'll give Dixie a chance. Also she'll be easier to make since her and diddys designs are most likely similar

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Jigglypuff being "low priority" could just have to do with how ridiculously easy she is to programm.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Alrighty, so...assuming that Mewtwo and everyone from Brawl is back except for Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake, I'd say the following are unlockables:

Luigi, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, Falco, Wolf, Lucas, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac Man. Kinda on the fence regarding Ike doe. He's a big boi that many people like and use, and he was a starter in Brawl...idk. Also on the fence regarding Sonic. It'd be cool either way, but perhaps given all that's gone on between Ninty and Sega maybe it'd be best to leave him as a starter.

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Alrighty, so...assuming that Mewtwo and everyone from Brawl is back except for Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake, I'd say the following are unlockables:

Luigi, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, Falco, Wolf, Lucas, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac Man. Kinda on the fence regarding Ike doe. He's a big boi that many people like and use, and he was a starter in Brawl...idk. Also on the fence regarding Sonic. It'd be cool either way, but perhaps given all that's gone on between Ninty and Sega maybe it'd be best to leave him as a starter.
Nothing is suggesting Mewtwo is coming back. There is zero evidence that he's on the rebound. It's going to be five pokemon.

As far as starting roster, I envision the following. 23 characters on the starting dole for one primary reason, the 3DS will display them just as the Smashfest 3DS Demo did. So the screen looks nice and full and ready to go, and then upon unlocking a character, something happens to the roster(either it shrinks or scrolls). I believe the following characters will be initially unlocked and playable from the start:

Smash 4 Starter Roster Roster.png

Red denotes unlockable. Green denotes Wii U starters. Blue denotes 3DS starters. Purple denotes ~*dream additions*~. Placements are not final, just guesswork. I do believe this is the full roster, though.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Nothing is suggesting Mewtwo is coming back. There is zero evidence that he's on the rebound. It's going to be five pokemon.

As far as starting roster, I envision the following. 23 characters on the starting dole for one primary reason, the 3DS will display them just as the Smashfest 3DS Demo did. So the screen looks nice and full and ready to go, and then upon unlocking a character, something happens to the roster(either it shrinks or scrolls). I believe the following characters will be initially unlocked and playable from the start:

View attachment 17316

Red denotes unlockable. Green denotes Wii U starters. Blue denotes 3DS starters. Purple denotes ~*dream additions*~. Placements are not final, just guesswork. I do believe this is the full roster, though.
Why are you so confident there will only be five Pokemon?

Personally, not just your roster, but seeing the roster just as the rest of the gematsu leak newcomers is a little underwhelming.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Why are you so confident there will only be five Pokemon?

Personally, not just your roster, but seeing the roster just as the rest of the gematsu leak newcomers is a little underwhelming.
I'll summarize:

- Mewtwo was cut from Melee and thus this leaves a black mark on his record.
- Greninja's inclusion pretty much covers X/Y.
- There was no concrete context to Sakurai's response to the 'Mewtwo Question'.
- Mario Theory.
- Gematsu has yet to be wrong.
- CSS on the 3DS lines up perfectly with 47 + Random.
- O12 status, despite what many claim, remains inviolate. Nothing suggests that's changing. See: Lucas vs Ness. According to Gematsu, guess who wins that?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'll summarize:

- Mario Theory.
- O12 status, despite what many claim, remains inviolate. Nothing suggests that's changing. See: Lucas vs Ness. According to Gematsu, guess who wins that?
All of this is really shoddy evidence.

He was the character with the most data, suggesting he was cut late in development. I think being planned for all three games is a favor to him. Greninja has nothing to do with Mewtwo, period. He isn't filling a "niche" that Mewtwo would fill. If Sakurai wanted to add both, he would. Sakurai being asked about the Mewtwo thing holds nothing either for or against Mewtwo, as he shouldn't be blabbing out info about the game. Gematsu has nothing to do with Mewtwo's inclusion, as the leaker never specified if those were all of the newcomers (which Mewtwo even isn't).

The CSS for a DEMO for Christ's sake means nothing. This was the Brawl demo:

Does that look anything like the Brawl Roster? Apart from the six at the top staying at the top, there is nothing to support that the final roster will look like or model itself after the CSS DEMO (and remember that the slots shrunk from Brawl's starting roster into more manageable spaces). Also, Jigglypuff being in, again, holds no water for or against Mewtwo. There aren't these "slot" capacities. Sakurai will add whoever he damn pleases and will make it fit on the roster.

Also, can someone fill me in on this Mario Theory?

Last edited:

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
I'll summarize:

- Mario Theory.
- Mewtwo was cut from melee?
- No it doesn't.
-The question went along the lines of how Mega Mewtwo Y would work & would you like to see it in the next smash game? Sakurai who was in the crowd then said "we are thinking about it". That statement alone says that Mega Mewtwo Y could be involved somehow.
- No
- Gematsu's info might not be wrong but could possibly be outdated.
- Nope
- This i'm iffy about. I wonder why the developers are talking about cutting Lucas or Ness during the debugging stage? Then again this could tie in with point number 5.

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
So uh, can somebody fill me in on why people think that the size of the boxes in the demo roster are the exact same as they will be in the final product? Honestly I just find that a little bit silly. I mean, look at Brawl's demo roster against Brawl's starting roster, which both have 3 rows:
Oh would you look at that, the portraits aren't the exact same dimensions as in the demo! Doesn't this suggest that the same could happen in Sm4sh?
also what is this "Mario theory" I've been hearing about, I'm kind of curious for some reason.
I'll summarize:

- Mario Theory.
- Mewtwo was very present in Melee. He was cut from Brawl very late in development judging from how his files were still somewhat complete.
- Because Charizard X and Mega Lucario don't count as coverage for X/Y. Why not go the extra mile?
- What @ MYU2 MYU2 said.
- Still don't know what it is. Unless someone can fill me in on this, I'll just assume it's really nothing special. EDIT: Yeah, it's stupid. The main Mario series had 4, and if you count DK, Wario and Yoshi as main Mario characters 6 pokemon slots can still happen cause that means 8 Mario characters. Plus, Pokemon had 6 characters back in Brawl.
- But Gematsu has also yet to prove that it's not outdated. Also it's not relevant to Mewtwo.
- See the rest of my post above.
- I don't see how this is relevant to Mewtwo at all. Maybe you're implying that he's competing with Jigglypuff for a slot? Which is stupid anyway.

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
If I may ask, what's the Mario theory? I've heard about it alot and never learned what it is...
Essentially, it's the theory that on the CSS, no franchise can out-represent Mario. Which means Mewtwo's up a creek without a paddle with Jigglypuff's impending O12 return, at least if the Mario Theory is true(as it has been in all three previous games).

All of this is really shoddy evidence.

He was the character with the most data, suggesting he was cut late in development. I think being planned for all three games is a favor to him. Greninja has nothing to do with Mewtwo, period. He isn't filling a "niche" that Mewtwo would fill. If Sakurai wanted to add both, he would. Sakurai being asked about the Mewtwo thing holds nothing either for or against Mewtwo, as he shouldn't be blabbing out info about the game. Gematsu has nothing to do with Mewtwo's inclusion, as the leaker never specified if those were all of the newcomers (which Mewtwo even isn't).

The CSS for a DEMO for Christ's sake means nothing. This was the Brawl demo:

Does that look anything like the Brawl Roster? Apart from the six at the top staying at the top, there is nothing to support that the final roster will look like or model itself after the CSS DEMO (and remember that the slots shrunk from Brawl's starting roster into more manageable spaces). Also, Jigglypuff being in, again, holds no water for or against Mewtwo. There aren't these "slot" capacities. Sakurai will add whoever he damn pleases and will make it fit on the roster.

Also, can someone fill me in on this Mario Theory?
I have zero doubt that the CSS will shift slightly to accomodate new characters(the current size of character icons are too large to accomodate anything close to 47 + Random). Just as Brawl lined up to 35 + Random, Smash 4 will line up to 47 + Random. I point at the 3DS to support my assertion.

- Mewtwo was cut from melee?
Okay, cut from Brawl. My point remains, Mewtwo died on the table and shows no signs of life.

- No it doesn't.
According to Gematsu, it sure does. Guess what hasn't been wrong yet?

- Mewtwo might already be in the game, the question went along the lines of how Mega Mewtwo Y would work & would you like to see it in the next smash game? Sakurai who was in the crowd then said "we are thinking about it". That statement alone confirms that Mega Mewtwo Y would be involved somehow.
Maybe as a boss character, eh? Mewtwo's legendary status plus the fact that he's got two different megas make sense for one platform to have M2Y and the other to have M2X. If we see something akin to Cerulean Cave, I'd suggest to brace yourself.

Yes. See: Three prior Smash games.

- Gematsu's info might not be wrong but could possibly be outdated.
What's outdated? Everything's been confirmed on that list so far. Rosalina exists as the exception to the rule and Nintendo just beat the leaker to the punch on her.

3DSCSSTokens.png

1:1, included tokens. Looks fine and readable to me. Font will likely be changed, and maybe background, but other than that, looks legit.

- This i'm iffy about. I wonder why the developers are talking about cutting Lucas or Ness during the debugging stage? Then again this could tie in with point number 5.
That was long ago. The decision is made, and I have every reason to believe that Ness made it and Lucas is dead.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Essentially, it's the theory that on the CSS, no franchise can out-represent Mario. Which means Mewtwo's up a creek without a paddle with Jigglypuff's impending O12 return, at least if the Mario Theory is true(as it has been in all three previous games).

I have zero doubt that the CSS will shift slightly to accomodate new characters(the current size of character icons are too large to accomodate anything close to 47 + Random). Just as Brawl lined up to 35 + Random, Smash 4 will line up to 47 + Random. I point at the 3DS to support my assertion.
You know, icons on Brawl's starting roster shrunk. So....yeah.

Again, slots don't really matter. Sakurai is perfectly fine with having more CHARACTERS (you know, the things that matter. not slots) in Pokemon than in Mario. It's all about who represents their series best. And Pokemon has a lot of viable characters that would represent the series.

Last edited:

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Wario are consider Mario characters.

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
You know, icons on Brawl's starting roster shrunk. So....yeah.

Again, slots don't really matter. Sakurai is perfectly fine with having more CHARACTERS (you know, the things that matter. not slots) in Pokemon than in Mario. It's all about who represents their series best. And Pokemon has a lot of viable characters that would represent the series.
He's shown no evidence to that effect Unless Pokemon didn't have more than four reps' worth of worthy characters to put in Brawl(like, y'know, Mewtwo).

Brawl would like to speak to you.
Brawl CSS:

Mario Series -

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser

Pokemon -

Pikachu
Lucario
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer

Four to four. Mario Theory is inviolate. I could point out how this theory survives the other two games too, if you like.

Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Wario are consider Mario characters.
Incorrect. They started in the Mario universe, but are now their own franchises(as per Wooly World, DKC Returns, and WarioWare). Unless you think K. Rool is a Mario rep too or Ashley. Even Diddy Kong suffers from that problem, and I'm positive he only came about from DKC, which had nothing to do with Mario.

Autumn ♫

He's shown no evidence to that effect Unless Pokemon didn't have more than four reps' worth of worthy characters to put in Brawl(like, y'know, Mewtwo).

Brawl CSS:

Mario Series -

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser

Pokemon -

Pikachu
Lucario
Jigglypuff
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Charizard

Zelda-
Link
Zelda
Shiek
Ganondorf
Toon Link

Four to Six to Five. Mario Theory is invalad
Fix'd :awesome:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

Brawl CSS:

Mario Series -

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser

Pokemon -

Pikachu
Lucario
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer

Four to four. Mario Theory is inviolate. I could point out how this theory survives the other two games too, if you like.

Incorrect. They started in the Mario universe, but are now their own franchises(as per Wooly World, DKC Returns, and WarioWare). Unless you think K. Rool is a Mario rep too or Ashley. Even Diddy Kong suffers from that problem, and I'm positive he only came about from DKC, which had nothing to do with Mario.
Sakurai considers the Pokemon Trainer to be 3 separate characters, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard. That means 6 Pokemon characters.

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
Brawl would like to speak to you.
On the character select screen. Pokemon might technically have six characters in brawl, but since the Pokemon Trainer is treated as one character on the character select screen both Mario and Pokemon have four slots.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Kindly point out where Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are on the CSS if you would. WITHOUT selecting or highlighting Pokemon Trainer first.

Also, Zelda/Sheik share their slot with one another. They remain at four slots total.

Sakurai considers the Pokemon Trainer to be 3 separate characters, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard. That means 6 Pokemon characters.
Yet they only have four slots on the CSS. Pokemon Trainer has only one slot. Which makes Pokemon equal to Mario in CSS representation. Which makes the Mario Theory remain valid.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
He's speaking of SLOTS, that's what the Mario theory is supposed to be looking at, i don't agree with it either but seriously i don't see how is it so hard to see his point.

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi, Wario, and Donkey Kong originate from the Mario series.
That doesn't change that fact that there are unique Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario universe symbols. If they were counted as Mario characters they'd use the standard mushroom symbol that represents the Mario series.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Kindly point out where Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are on the CSS if you would. WITHOUT selecting or highlighting Pokemon Trainer first.

Also, Zelda/Sheik share their slot with one another. They remain at four slots total.

Yet they only have four slots on the CSS. Pokemon Trainer has only one slot. Which makes Pokemon equal to Mario in CSS representation. Which makes the Mario Theory remain valid.
You don't fight using slots, you fight using characters.
Point out to me where Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard were explicitly stated to not be characters in their own right.

Autumn ♫

I have no idea what a CSS is, but Sakurai does consider them individual characters, making Pokemon and Zelda have more than Mario.
Yoshi, Wario, and Donkey Kong originate from the Mario series.
Technically Mario started in the Donkey Kong universe.

Unless you grasp at the "Jumpman isn't Mario" thing.

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
What's wrong with having 6 Pokemon? All I want to see is BOTH Jigglypuff & Mewtwo make it in as playable characters ignoring this untrue "mario theory".

Last edited:

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
Double Post Warning Received
Point out to me where Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard were explicitly stated to not be characters in their own right.
I have no idea what a CSS is, but Sakurai does consider them individual characters, making Pokemon and Zelda have more than Mario.
CSS stands for "Character Select Screen".

But that's not what the Mario theory is saying. It says that no series can have more character SLOTS than the Mario series. This holds true for Brawl, as Pokemon has four on the character select screen. Not as individual characters, but as slots. As such, it does not out-represent the Mario series in that regard. I don't believe in the theory myself, but it's not that hard to comprehend.

Last edited by a moderator:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur literally cannot exist without each other due to Pokemon Trainer working the way he did. At least not before Project M's hackery entered the fray. And even then, they weren't given their own slot, they were grouped under PT. Same with Sheik and Zelda, they cannot exist without one another. At least not until Smash 4 where they were finally and fully separated.

What's wrong with having 6 Pokemon? Brawl had 6 (4 slots but were considered their own characters) so why not Smash 4? All I want to see is BOTH Jigglypuff & Mewtwo make it in as playable characters ignoring this untrue "mario theory".
Ignore it all you like, but you face then the peril that faced those unwilling to even consider the steadily-mounting evidence in favor of the Brawl 35-character roster. This is a valid tool for speculation that will continue to be valid until proven wrong, and it's survived three games so far. Check the math, if you like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom