• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
There's no telling whether or not Gematsu is telling us everything about the newcomers though
I don't think that's Louie's point in that comment. He's not trying to validate or invalidate the leak at all, he's just saying that people shouldn't be negative towards those that believe or do not believe it.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Your overall negativity towards people who trust the Sal Leak.

You act like it's the stupidest thing in the world, yet there's so much evidence towards it being true.

If you don't believe it you don't have to talk down about its supporters.
Lucas being cut isn't a ridiculous notion, it's very possible.
Sakurai said to expect less newcomers than usual.
Shulk and Chrom make a lot of sense, Chorus Kids now have a Smash Run enemy.

All of the unconfirmed parts of the Sal Leak make a lot of sense, and the other parts were proven true.
I'm not blindly believing everything Sal says. They just make a lot of sense and/or are confirmed.

It's like you act as if Sal believers are acting ridiculous when we can say the same about detractors.
It's fine if you don't believe it.
Don't patronize the believers though. You act as if we're complete idiots.
Hey, all I said is that I want Lucas revealed so the speculation about him being cut will end.

"Sakurai said to expect less newcomers than usual." isn't true, by the way. He never said that.

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
I don't think he said anything about marketing...

And if that was he case he wouldn't know about Ness vs Lucas either.

Also, we may see everyone before release.
That's a massive if. In ANY game he makes Sakurai always tries to keep a lot of things secretive. His reason for not having cutscenes in Super Smash Bros. 4 (or at least, the reason he gave us) was because he feared people would end up seeing them on the Internet before experiencing firsthand; obviously he cares a lot about surprising players and making sure they have a fresh experience when they pick up one of his games. Also, prior to Brawl's release there were quite a few characters kept secret, a few newcomers, even.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Sakurai hates spoilers, for one.
Hey, all I said is that I want Lucas revealed so the speculation about him being cut will end.

"Sakurai said to expect less newcomers than usual." isn't true, by the way. He never said that.
Alright, that isn't necessarily the only post I was talking about though.

And I know he didn't say that specifically. I remember that he mentioned the number 50 (I know not as the solid number of characters) and that the development team basically reached what was possible already.

We could very well get more, but it's just as likely that we don't.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

It may be true that he never said that, however it should be assumed we aren't going to get another 18 like we did in Brawl.

Lucas may or may not be cut, but if we're taking Sal seriously (which would should considering it's real) there's a good chance Lucas is cut. However, he is a character who would probably become DLC if he was planned in the first place, so I have no doubts he would be added in that case.

D

Deleted member

Well, if we are to get every character before release of the 3ds version, that leaves three months. The only way I can see it happening is 2 or 3 miiverse pic vets in July and September, and the rest, including newcomers, in a Smash Direct on August. That's at least 15 more characters total between now and time of release, so I don't know how likely it is we'll know them all. But we never know with Sakurai.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
And I know he didn't say that specifically. I remember that he mentioned the number 50 (I know not as the solid number of characters) and that the development team basically reached what was possible already.
The statement was pretty unclear. And this was back in 2012, before the development had really even properly started. Sakurai has been wrong about the limit in the past, as well: During Melee's development he thought 16 characters was the best they could do, but because people wanted more they added the clones.

In any case, you shouldn't say "less newcomers than usual" like it's a fact.
Sakurai hates spoilers, for one.
No, he doesn't. He likes to surprise people but he doesn't hate those who spoil themselves before playing the game. If he hated spoilers he wouldn't include the secret characters on the official site.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
\No, he doesn't. He likes to surprise people but he doesn't hate those who spoil themselves before playing the game. If he hated spoilers he wouldn't include the secret characters on the official site.
That can be taken many ways. He could not like spoilers so he wants to reveal everyone so people don't leak the secret newcomers and veterans.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
It was stated in the tree house that there are some characters in Smash that cannot be mentioned outside of certain rooms in development. This leads me to believe that the Gematsu leaker may be missing some details due to this level of secrecy.

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
That can be taken many ways. He could not like spoilers so he wants to reveal everyone so people don't leak the secret newcomers and veterans.
Then why would he have not done this prior to Brawl's release if that's the case? I know times have changed, but still.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Speaking of secret characters, wich of the characters revealed so far do you guys think will be starters?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
It was stated in the tree house that there are some characters in Smash that cannot be mentioned outside of certain rooms in development. This leads me to believe that the Gematsu leaker may be missing some details due to this level of secrecy.
I think many people agree that the leaker doesn't have all the details. Also, they could just be talking about some of the unannounced veterans, which isn't really what the leaker has talked about.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Then why would he have not done this prior to Brawl's release if that's the case? I know times have changed, but still.
Well, I personally think it must have been a change of heart. He said that he decided to not do a single-player story mode because the cutscenes were leaked. If he was that anal about cutscenes, I think he would also be upset with Brawl's leak of the roster. So I think he just decided to reveal the characters, regardless of unlockability or not. So, yes, times have changed.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Isn't this thread starting to get derailed or am I just wrong about that thought?
We were ok before but talking about the Sal leak is a derailment.

Please do not discuss the Sal leak in this thread. If you must mention it, keep it strictly in line with the characters that were mentioned. And even then, keep the discussion to the characters and not the legitimacy of the leak.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
:4bowser::4charizard::4dedede::4diddy::4dk::4fox::4greninja::4kirby::4iceclimbers::4myfriends::4lucas::4littlemac::4link::4mario::4marth::4mii::4olimar::4palutena::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::rosalina::4samus::4sheik::4villager::4wario::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zelda::4zss:
-Starter Roster.
I honestly think it makes more sense for Lucas to be the unlockable and Ness to be the starter this time. Not only is Ness more popular and a 64 vet, but he's had a recent rerelease. I honestly think that Lucas was the starter in Brawl just because he was introduced first in the SSE (so that Ness could save him). Either that, or because he was the most recent protagonist, which is also no longer the case.

D

Deleted member

Haven't we had word on every character on the site besides Luigi to be a starting character. The fact the specifically Luigi isn't a starter and was stated to be secret means that we won't know the full roster before release in Japan. Anything could happen, but because of this case, I feel this is most likely.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Everyone shown thus far besides Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Luigi, Lucario, and Toon Link. As well, Wario, Ice Climbers, Meta Knight, and Lucas would be starters plus three extra newcomers IMO.

Considering we had 10 starters in SSBB, it is entirely possible we will have the same amount this time around. Considering we are 7 characters currently and not counting Mega Man and Pac-Man, we have three more starters to get up to 10. Unless you count each mii Fighter has an individual roster spot, then just one more.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I believe the starting roster will be what Venus said. However, I believe that Meta Knight could be an unlockable perhaps. And it also depends if Lucas is cut or not. Either way, I think Ness will be hidden.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I am hoping that Captain Falcon gets bumped up to a starter. It was nice having him as one back in Melee.

Last edited:

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
I believe the starting roster will be what Venus said. However, I believe that Meta Knight could be an unlockable perhaps. And it also depends if Lucas is cut or not. Either way, I think Ness will be hidden.
I could see Meta Knight as hidden since it was weird to have all reps from Kirby straight away in Brawl so making one unloackable makes sense.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
How about, instead of ganondorf pig form, we call his pig form, Ganonpork!
Personally I prefer Gammondorf.

Forgive me for asking, but then where did this popularized rumour stem from? I keep seeing it used to justify all manner of things.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Personally I prefer Gammondorf.

Forgive me for asking, but then where did this popularized rumour stem from? I keep seeing it used to justify all manner of things.
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/39783/smash-bros-wii-u-may-not-feature-more-characters/

"It isn't a matter of 'if the next game has 50 characters, that'll be enough.' There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive.

In terms of quantity, we've probably already reached the limit of what's feasible. I think a change of direction may be what's needed."

AKA Sakurai being vague and not giving a straight answer.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/39783/smash-bros-wii-u-may-not-feature-more-characters/

"It isn't a matter of 'if the next game has 50 characters, that'll be enough.' There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive.

In terms of quantity, we've probably already reached the limit of what's feasible. I think a change of direction may be what's needed."

AKA Sakurai being vague and not giving a straight answer.
I expect(well, at least I hope) this game to be the most balanced Smash yet. And if he really cared about characters feeling distinctive, Toon Link would probably have the Deku Leaf and Skull Hammer. Heck, one of his moves could be him chasing a pig and I wouldn't mind it.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
If Toon Link's custom moves are not completely unique moves even though he's already a clone of Link I am going to murder something.
It's bad enough Link and Toon Link already coexist utilizing the exact same moveset, but the fact that their could be 6 variations of the same exact move between the two of them kills me. Sakurai you better not screw this up

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Out of all the announced newcomers I think Greninja, Palutena, Mega Man, and Pac Man should/will be unlockables.

And Villager, Wii Fit Trainers, Rosalina, Little Mac, and Mii Fighters will be playable from the start. Calling it right now big bois.

Reasing? Pffffft. Mostly intuitive guessing, coupled with the fact that every character depicted in SSB boxart has been a starter, so I think that's a safe assumption to make.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Out of the newcomers so far, I only think that Mega Man and Pac-Man will be unlockable.

Villager - On the box.
Wii Fit Trainer - On the box.
Rosalina & Luma - On the box.
Little Mac - On the box.
Greninja - Here's where I have to start making assumptions, but I think that any starter Pokemon will also be starter characters.
Mii Fighters - Obviously starter.
Palutena - Starter material IMO. Secondary protagonist and token Sakurai bias series (all 3 Kirby characters were starter in Brawl).

Chorus Kids, Shulk, and Chrom are a toss up, but they could all be starter or unlockable depending on the circumstance.

Broodlaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Broodlaw
Switch FC
SW-0613-0942-5903
For a starting roster roster when taking into account the announced newcomers I would think the only ones that would be playable from the beginning will be Villager, Megaman and the Wii Fit Trainer. Everybody else will more than likely be unlockables; although I would hope that Little Mac would be playable from the beginning I understand why they would warrant him as an unlockable character instead.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Want to know what would make my day? If we had the most bare-bones starting roster ever. Only the essentials are starters and everyone else is unlockable. It's never going to happen, but that would be amazing, since unlocking characters is one of the best parts of Smash for me.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
For a starting roster roster when taking into account the announced newcomers I would think the only ones that would be playable from the beginning will be Villager, Megaman and the Wii Fit Trainer. Everybody else will more than likely be unlockables; although I would hope that Little Mac would be playable from the beginning I understand why they would warrant him as an unlockable character instead.
Again, it's safe to say that Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, and Rosalina are starter, as they appear on the game's box art.

As for Mega Man it'd be strange to have a 3rd Party starter.
If anyone it's Sonic.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I think Marth and Ike are going to be starters this time around. That'll leave an Awakening character to be the coveted unlockable Fire Emblem character. Or Roy, either/or.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think Marth and Ike are going to be starters this time around. That'll leave an Awakening character to be the coveted unlockable Fire Emblem character. Or Roy, either/or.
Well we're obviously getting Chrom over Roy.

But I think Ike may be unlockable this time, and Chrom starter.
This way the most recent protagonist is starter, and we don't have 3 Fire Emblem characters on the starting roster.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well nobody was shown but, it may have ben mewtwo.

Okay SmashBoards-Mewtwo hopefuls, we're here to speculate in this thread, right? Well, don't make fun of me but while I was taking a break from doing some illustrations (hence the Photoshop writing on the picture below) I was looking at the flier given out at the World Hobby Fair. I wasn't looking for anything in particular when I noticed that there were at least a couple of patterns used for the arrangement of the characters on the flier.

Pattern (A) As you can see, all the Pokemon are equally spaced apart in a pyramid, which might mean it's deliberate. Pikachu, of course, at the top of the pyramid, and below him are 5 boxes with Charizard and Lucario at the ends, and below that is what would be 7 boxes if the Mii Fighters didn't take up 3 spaces; at one end is Greninja, and at the other end is the hidden character.

Pattern (B) As you'll notice, the bottom row of the roster on the first page has 6 boxes. From left to right, there's 5 newcomers and 1 veteran. On the second page, the set up is the same, except instead of a veteran, it's the unrevealed slot.

Pattern (C) Let's just say for the sake of geeky speculation, the number of question marks as a placeholder for a name actually represent the same amount of letters that are in the hidden character's true name. There are 6 question marks. I borrowed this idea from speculations on other forums/commenters/etc. regarding the identity of the hidden character.

So let's connect the dots:

Based on Pattern A, the hidden character is a Pokemon.
Based on Pattern B, the hidden character is a veteran.
Based on Pattern C, the hidden character has 6 letters to his name.

To be clear, my intention wasn't to take this seriously, I just thought it was fun. Could this be proof of something? Even if it's deliberate, it's questionable. So let's just have fun with it yeah?

IT'S FREAKING MEWTWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom