• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Well we're obviously getting Chrom over Roy.

But I think Ike may be unlockable this time, and Chrom starter.
This way the most recent protagonist is starter, and we don't have 3 Fire Emblem characters on the starting roster.
If they did that, I'd be pissed. Not because Ike is hidden, but because they should have not revealed Ike at all, revealed Chrom during E3 to make everyone think Ike got the boot, then make Ike a hidden character so when the game comes out he could be revealed in glorious fashion. It would be like Ness during the Brawl days.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think it's pretty easy who will be starter, I think all the Gematsu newcomers (aside from the third parties) will definitely be starter,

Ness and Captain Falcon could be starter, but I'm willing to be they will be unlockable just like Brawl since their series are currently dead with no new installment.

D

Deleted member

Here we finally go, my latest post-E3 2014 roster, in a 48 characters+Mii Fighter special design.

Here's also my roster containing other potential fighters that would make DLC or AT materials, including the cuts I've made:

EDIT: Replaced Ray with Takamaru.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I think it's pretty easy who will be starter, I think all the Gematsu newcomers (aside from the third parties) will definitely be starter,

Ness and Captain Falcon could be starter, but I'm willing to be they will be unlockable just like Brawl since their series are currently dead with no new installment.
I'm going to be disappointed if all of those newcomers are starters because I'm more interested in some of those characters (Greninja, Rosalina, Palutena, Chrom, Shulk, Marshall) being unlockables. Really hoping that Sakurai doesn't pull a Brawl and only give us a few unlockable newcomers comparing to Melee with getting 9 out of 11 being unlockable newcomers

Am I the only one who is hoping Meta Knight and Wario would become unlockables this time around?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Well, I haven't been here in a while, so I'm back I guess.

So, the current topic seems to be who is unlockable and who is not, and also the roster size.
Obviously, any character that isn't announced before the release is unlockable, and possibly the third-party characters too.

I'm not sure about some of the veterans we have announced. I'd assume that Luigi and Toon Link are both unlockable, but I'm not so sure.

Here's a theory. Maybe the reason that Sal's source said those newcomers is because they wouldn't be secret characters. The reason he may not have known about Rosalina (and any other newcomers we don't know about, like Takamaru or a DK newcomer) is because she is unlockable.

As for the roster size, I'd say at least 50.
Personally, I think that whole "Selection Icon Size" thing is a load of BS. The Icons from the first Brawl demo were smaller than the ones in the final version, that flat out disproves it.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well, I haven't been here in a while, so I'm back I guess.

So, the current topic seems to be who is unlockable and who is not, and also the roster size.
Obviously, any character that isn't announced before the release is unlockable, and possibly the third-party characters too.

I'm not sure about some of the veterans we have announced. I'd assume that Luigi and Toon Link are both unlockable, but I'm not so sure.

Here's a theory. Maybe the reason that Sal's source said those newcomers is because they wouldn't be secret characters. The reason he may not have known about Rosalina (and any other newcomers we don't know about, like Takamaru or a DK newcomer) is because she is unlockable.

As for the roster size, I'd say at least 50.
Personally, I think that whole "Selection Icon Size" thing is a load of BS. The Icons from the first Brawl demo were smaller than the ones in the final version, that flat out disproves it.
Rosalina being in the 3DS boxart makes me think that Rosalina will be a starter.
I agree with the bolded though, aside from third parties of course, I think this is the most likely situation.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Rosalina being in the 3DS boxart makes me think that Rosalina will be a starter.
I agree with the bolded though, aside from third parties of course, I think this is the most likely situation.
Forgot about that.
But then again, Sonic and Snake are both on the back of Brawl's box.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I'd say Luigi is pretty much guaranteed to be unlockable. Not sure about Toon Link, but I'm leaning towards unlockable as well.

Does anyone think it's possible that Sheik is unlockable now that she's separate from Zelda?
Forgot about that.
But then again, Sonic and Snake are both on the back of Brawl's box.
They are 3rd parties, though. They have to be there for advertising.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I can sorta get Meta Knight, but why would Wario be an unlockable? Warioware has nothing to do with Mario.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Meta Knight should've been an unlockable. Wario should still be a starter IMO. Is anyone else bothered that you started out with the entire Kirby franchise in Brawl? Yo, I call bias.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Here we finally go, my latest post-E3 2014 roster, in a 48 characters+Mii Fighter special design.

Here's also my roster containing other potential fighters that would make DLC or AT materials, including the cuts I've made:

Mike Jones as DLC, but no Takamaru? Western Hemisphere bias.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

King K. Rool, Robin, and Mewtwo on the roster is great.

I see Paper Mario, Bowser Jr., Mach Rider, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Medusa, Chrom, Lucina and Anna. I'd be set if they were to appear.

In this instance, I think R.O.B. should be on the disc with one of the Star Fox characters as DLC.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mike Jones as DLC, but no Takamaru? Western Hemisphere bias.
Just replaced Ray by him.

Also, note that I have nothing against R.O.B., I just think it's unfortunatly the next likely Brawl character to be cut.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Guys? What do you think about a Zelda newcomer? I personally think Sheik as a separate character is like the Zelda newcomer of this game.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Guys? What do you think about a Zelda newcomer? I personally think Sheik as a separate character is like the Zelda newcomer of this game.
That's honestly how I think of it.

Sheik is out of Zelda's shadow and is her own "full" character (BUT THEY STILL SHARE THE SAME FINAL SMASH) and has her own slot to boot. That shows independence and a focus on fleshing out characters to be individuals that stand on their own
She's the "5th" and has gained two new specials as well.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Why must R.O.B. be such a go-to character for roster prediction cuts? If Mr. Game and Watch, a retro-style character essential to the history of Nintendo (and the video-game industry), can return in future installments of the Smash series, then why not R.O.B.?

Is it because of the initially-negative backlash upon his reveal? Well then, if Wii Fit Trainer's inclusion is anything to go by, Sakurai has no qualms about less-than-popular characters maintaining playability status, especially if he feels they "make the game more interesting" with their play-styles. R.O.B. would certainly fit into this criteria.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I think we should all know what I think of one.

In case you don't (which I severly wonder why) I find it extremely likely we'll get a Zelda newcomer.
I actually have no idea who you're talking about. I really don't think we're due for another zelda character. the only one left that's been in more than a single game is tingle, and he's already been shown as an assist trophy.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I actually have no idea who you're talking about. I really don't think we're due for another zelda character. the only one left that's been in more than a single game is tingle, and he's already been shown as an assist trophy.
Impa (if Hyrule Warriors isn't too late) and Vaati, both who I find a much better choice than Tingle. Maybe you forgot they were in more than one game?

D

Deleted member

Impa (if Hyrule Warriors isn't too late) and Vaati, both who I find a much better choice than Tingle. Maybe you forgot they were in more than one game?
Well Impa has technically had various appearances, the problem is massive design changes.

Technically with Hyrule Warriors, we also have Agitha and Zant, but that's an impossibility dues to the game not being out yet. So this comment was practically pointless.:p

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I thought you were gonna say Ghirahim. Who is interesting, but I'm not sure deserves a spot.

I don't see Impa or Vaait getting in. Zelda already has 5 reps. And Sheik just got solo spot status. idk. I'm more being biased because I don't like the characters than anything else. Although it is true this series got no newcomers in brawl. Personally, if I were to choose another Zelda newcomer at this point (who isn't already deconfirmed) it'd be dark beast ganon. Then we'd have 2 links, 2 zeldas, and 2 ganons, lol

(and I didn't mean to imply tingle was a good choice, haha. I have a soft spot for skull kid, but that's already down the drain)

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

Well Impa has technically had various appearances, the problem is massive design changes.
Eh, I'd make it a mix of her OoT and SS versions. It'd probably look alot like HW Impa.

I thought you were gonna say Ghirahim. Who is interesting, but I'm not sure deserves a spot.

I don't see Impa or Vaait getting in. Zelda already has 5 reps. And Sheik just got solo spot status. idk. I'm more being biased because I don't like the characters than anything else. Although it is true this series got no newcomers in brawl. Personally, if I were to choose another Zelda newcomer at this point (who isn't already deconfirmed) it'd be dark beast ganon. Then we'd have 2 links, 2 zeldas, and 2 ganons, lol
Zelda has always had 5 characters though, and I'm the guy who think Mario is also getting a 6th, since Rosalina is a starter and I found it odd how fast they showed off a 5th Mario newcomer, and with Pokemon most likely getting 6 also, Zelda could at least have one newcomer,since we haven't had one since Melee. I honestly don't see any problem with personally liking Pig Ganon as the newcomer, I just don't find near as likely, and honestly hate the idea of having 2 of every Zelda character.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm rather surprised Shiek hasn't ascended from oneshot status, considering her staying power in Smash. Maybe she's representative of all of Zelda's alter egos.

Also, I'm all for Power having two reps. In my perfect world, Ganondorf would transplant his moves into Black Shadow, gain his own moveset, and confirm Pig Ganon.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

EDIT: Replaced Ray with Takamaru.
You have Robin on the roster, yet Roy, Lucina, and Chrom on DLC? I call bull****! Your roster is almost perfect, just replace Robin for one of the three FE characters on your DLC then it's much better

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Also, I'm all for Power having two reps. In my perfect world, Ganondorf would transplant his moves into Black Shadow, gain his own moveset, and confirm Pig Ganon.
This is my dream scenario as well, haha

Zelda has always had 5 characters though, and I'm the guy who think Mario is also getting a 6th, since Rosalina is a starter and I found it odd how fast they showed off a 5th Mario newcomer, and with Pokemon most likely getting 6 also, Zelda could at least have one newcomer,since we haven't had one since Melee. I honestly don't see any problem with personally liking Pig Ganon as the newcomer, I just don't find near as likely, and honestly hate the idea of having 2 of every Zelda character.
Mario currently has 6 characters. I don't care what the icons show, Yoshi is a Mario rep. I don't see Mario getting any more reps, especially with getting Rosalina. Zelda may get one more, but I wouldn't say it's definitive.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Honestly, I think Ganon has a better chance of getting in than Ghirahim. He's a much more classic and iconic villain, who's more recognizable to the Nintendo fanbase at large. I'm not dismissing Ghirahim's chances entirely, but I don't think he's the most likely candidate.

Autumn ♫

Mario currently has 6 characters. I don't care what the icons show, Yoshi is a Mario rep. I don't see Mario getting any more reps, especially with getting Rosalina. Zelda may get one more, but I wouldn't say it's definitive.
As far as I know, Sakurai counts him as a Yoshi's Island character, so it's entirely possible to get a new one.

PuffSmash

Smash Apprentice
Someone mentioned ike being unlockable even tho he has been revealed on the website. Are we assuming a lot of the revealed character will be unlockable? And does that mean we will get reveals from every single character before the game is released?

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
"I don't care what the icons show, Yoshi is a Mario rep" just sounds like a denial of fact. The fact remains that Sakurai deliberately separated Yoshi from Mario.

I think we should all know what I think of one.

In case you don't (which I severly wonder why) I find it extremely likely we'll get a Zelda newcomer.
I don't find it "extremely" likely, but I agree that I think we'll get one, specifically Impa. I also don't think Mario needs a 6th to make this happen, either.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Alright, so if Yoshi's his own series, then Mario has had less reps than Zelda in smash for 2 games now? And then the Yoshi series, which has been in smash since 64 has stayed at 1 rep? That's all nonsensical to me. Just because Yoshi has his own games doesn't mean that's the reason he's in the game. He's in the game because he's central to the Mario franchise.

Autumn ♫

Alright, so if Yoshi's his own series, then Mario has had less reps than Zelda in smash for 2 games now? And then the Yoshi series, which has been in smash since 64 has stayed at 1 rep? That's all nonsensical to me. Just because Yoshi has his own games doesn't mean that's the reason he's in the game. He's in the game because he's central to the Mario franchise.
1 game, Mario had the same as Zelda in Melee. Also, so far F-Zero has only had one sole representative too, so unless you find Falcon nonsensical, then Yoshi's not.

DarrylTrainer

Smash Apprentice
You know I would love. If the only character on the starting roster was Mario and then you had to take him on some sort of adventure and find the rest of the cast. Alternatively, for those players who, for some reason, hate story-modes, they have most of it unlocked in For Glory mode or something. Never gonna happen tho...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
1 game, Mario had the same as Zelda in Melee. Also, so far F-Zero has only had one sole representative too, so unless you find Falcon nonsensical, then Yoshi's not.
And F-zero has been a dead series for like 10 years. We've been getting Yoshi games consistently, there was even a new one announced this E3. So still nonsensical, yes.

Melee -
Link, YL, Zelda, Shiek, Ganondorf
Mario Peach Luigi Bowser

5 > 4

??? Just because Shiek gets her own spot now doesn't mean she wasn't a playable character in melee - like ZSS in brawl. took just as many resources to make.

EDIT -FORGOT DOC. mbad friends.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I feel that a Zelda newcomer is just as likely as it was before.
In terms of the effort Sakurai put in and the work he did, we didn't get a new Zelda character.
He just fixed up and made some changes to the characters we already have, like he does with every other veteran in the game.

Giving Shiek her own slot doesn't give the series a new character. It has 5 characters now, just like it did in Brawl.

Adding a character now wouldn't be "over-representing" it. It would be just the same as if a newcomer was added if Shiek was still a transformation.

Now for who that newcomer is, I'm think Ghirahim.
Just like Rosalina and Greninja, he is a popular, new character, who offers a lot of Moveset potential.

The second most likely option is Impa.
She has become pretty important lately, and has been given a new fighting experience. Not to mention, she is now unique with her giant sword from Hyrule Warriors.

Some other possibilities were Tingle and Toon Zelda/Tetra.
But Tingle is confirmed as an assist, and transformation are gone and Toon Zelda would be bland without Tetra, and I just can't see Tetra by herself.

And maybe Vaati, but who cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom