• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I don't want Lucas cut either.
But because of the Gematsu leak, it seems that if someone was cut after Snake, it would be Lucas.
Gematsu leak doesn't say anything about Snake being cut.

The ONLY reason Snake is high on the cutting board is that people don't like him as he is not "Nintendo" enough or doesn't "fit."

Doesn't have anything going for him or against him like Shulk or Chrom..

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
And big boi Hideo Kojima said that he had not been contacted by big boi Sakurai regarding big boi Snake's inclusion. But for all we know it could be Hideo Kojima trolling, but then again, that's a bit of a risky thing to do on his part.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Snake is not being cut because people don't like him.

It's because Sakurai has been treating Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man as godsends, claiming that it's amazing that these four video game icons can fight again tip each other in Super Smash Bros. It seems like that's all of the third party representation that we'll be getting.

Plus, Kojima himself doesn't think that Snake will be returning. Sure, he's a troll, but this doesn't help Snake at all.

D

Deleted member

Actually, why Snake is high on the cutting board is because of Kojima's statement in regards to Snake not likely to be in Wii U/3DS.

Though considering it's Kojima saying it, some anticipate that he's trolling.
EDIT: :4greninja:'d

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
"I’m not working on that game so I don’t know, but I don’t think that’s likely. I don’t know. Well if Mr. Sakurai is watching this, please use Snake."

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Snake isn't definitively leaning either way right now, but I'd put my bets on him not being in the game. It just seems to me like Sakurai is making a big deal out of the 3rd parties we currently have.

Do I think he should stay? Sure, I don't see much reason to cut him. Do I think he's still in? Probably not.

Oh well. LET'S GO SNAKE DLC!

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I'm not trolling.

Capcom did the same for Megaman.
Sega did the same for Sonic.
Namco did the same for Pacman.

You guys look at "patterns" look at that one.

The leak is relatively accurate but what about not knowing the specific pokemon from x/y or not knowing if Lucas vs Ness says that makes it 100% relative. Seems like early information to me.

Rhythm Heaven has a smash enemy but there is ABSOLUTELY NO evidence for Chrom or Shulk.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Don't forget about how some of Snake's moves have kinda been distributed to other characters in different ways with different properties but with like/similar ideas. For example, Sheik's Burst Grenade, Olimar's Winged Pikmin, Mega Man's Crash Bomber, Zero Suit Samus' Gunship, etc. Less so the Crash Bomber but you get my point.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Snake is more associated with Nintendo's competitor, Sony. So unless Metal Gear continues on the Wii U or more ports to Nintendo consoles are made, I don't see much going for him.
The only thing right now that gives Snake at least a little relevancy is Snake Eater 3DS.

D

Deleted member

I don't think he's trolling, it's just that he's not supposed to tell anyone whether he's in or not, knd of like what Sega did regarding Sonic.
Sega didn't use language that implies he isn't showing up like Kojima did.

People don't seem to get this.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
I'm not trolling.

You guys look at "patterns" look at that one.

The leak is relatively accurate but what about not knowing the specific pokemon from x/y or not knowing if Lucas vs Ness says that makes it 100% relative. Seems like early information to me.

Rhythm Heaven has a smash enemy but there is ABSOLUTELY NO evidence for Chrom or Shulk.
Snake is DOA as per Kojima's words. If he doesn't know if Snake is being used or not, at this stage in the game, then Snake is gone. Gematsu is ironclad. Name something, anything it's gotten wrong. Chrom and Shulk are sure enough to bet on. They're as sure as Mewtwo's inclusion is not. There is nothing in the game or surrounding the game that remotely hints at his arrival. Jiggly is an O12. Mewtwo died on the table in Brawl, and with how complete he was, it was likely because Sakurai just decided he wasn't good enough. You do not get that much done in a rush job, so what's the alternative? If Mewtwo couldn't cut the mustard when work was already well along, why does starting over increase his chances? If Mewtwo is in the game, it's as a Boss Battle or Boss Hazard. His status as a Legendary and his dual Mega-Evolutions work perfectly across the two consoles(just like Ridley and Meta Ridley can be independent bosses, one on either console).

D

Deleted member

I'm not trolling.

Namco said nothing about Pac-Man.
Sega gave a neutral answer.
Capcom said that it was up to Sakurai, but otherwise gave a neutral answer.

Kojima is inferring Snake isn't showing up.
BIG difference. (Though again, Kojima is known for trolling; it's possible he could simply be giving a false impression on purpose.)

Arena Ferox.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Don't forget about how some of Snake's moves have kinda been distributed to other characters in different ways with different properties but with like/similar ideas. For example, Sheik's Burst Grenade, Olimar's Winged Pikmin, Mega Man's Crash Bomber, Zero Suit Samus' Gunship, etc. Less so the Crash Bomber but you get my point.
None of these function at all like Snake's moves. Burst Grenade doesn't even seem like a projectile, but a move that closes the distance between Sheik and the opponent since it DRAWS them in, and Sheik has a string attached to it. Winged Pikmin doesnt seem like it has armor like Snake, is faster and attacking out of it will cause Olimar to be helpless. I have no idea what you mean about the crash bomber.

As for the Gunship...I don't think identical final smashes matter, not that Snake's is anything like ZSS to be honest.

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Tell me why Charizard and Bowser both have flame breathe then.

D

Deleted member

Mewtwo died on the table in Brawl, and with how complete he was, it was likely because Sakurai just decided he wasn't good enough. You do not get that much done in a rush job, so what's the alternative? If Mewtwo couldn't cut the mustard when work was already well along, why does starting over increase his chances? If Mewtwo is in the game, it's as a Boss Battle or Boss Hazard. His status as a Legendary and his dual Mega-Evolutions work perfectly across the two consoles(just like Ridley and Meta Ridley can be independent bosses, one on either console).
Good one, that actually made me chuckle.

...you're serious? I'm laughing harder now.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Just like how Lucario was a clone of Mewtwo.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
None of these function at all like Snake's moves. Burst Grenade doesn't even seem like a projectile, but a move that closes the distance between Sheik and the opponent since it DRAWS them in, and Sheik has a string attached to it. Winged Pikmin doesnt seem like it has armor like Snake, is faster and attacking out of it will cause Olimar to be helpless. I have no idea what you mean about the crash bomber.

As for the Gunship...I don't think identical final smashes matter, not that Snake's is anything like ZSS to be honest.
I get what your saying, but I was trying to say that they're similar in idea and in function.

I was trying to draw similarities between the Crash Bomber and the C4, as they both stick to someone and explode, except one explodes by a remote and the other detonates after a set period of time.

Eh.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Gematsu leak doesn't say anything about Snake being cut.

The ONLY reason Snake is high on the cutting board is that people don't like him as he is not "Nintendo" enough or doesn't "fit."

Doesn't have anything going for him or against him like Shulk or Chrom..
What about the fact that he wouldn't fit in the group with the rest of the third parties?
Sakurai is making a big deal out of the whole "Mario, Sonic, Mega man, and Pac-Man" thing.

It would be odd and wouldn't serve Snake justice if Sakurai is like "WE HAVE MARIO! SONIC! MEGA MAN! AND PAC-MAN ALL IN THE SAME GAME! Oh yeah, and Snake too. He's cool I guess."

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Snake is DOA as per Kojima's words. If he doesn't know if Snake is being used or not, at this stage in the game, then Snake is gone
Never heard of closure contracts (I believe that's what it's called) have you?

Gematsu is ironclad. Name something, anything it's gotten wrong. Chrom and Shulk are sure enough to bet on. They're as sure as Mewtwo's inclusion is not.
So Shulk and Chrom are now the least likely characters in the world? Well that's good, because while I like Shulk, I hate Chrom. :awesome:

There is nothing in the game or surrounding the game that remotely hints at his arrival. Jiggly is an O12.
You mean like Shulk and Chrom? :troll:

Also, he does have something, Sakurai considering his return. He even said it himself. Also, being part of the original really doesn't mean anything since Ness was going to be cut in Melee and Jiggly was almost going to be cut in Brawl

Mewtwo died on the table in Brawl, and with how complete he was, it was likely because Sakurai just decided he wasn't good enough. You do not get that much done in a rush job, so what's the alternative?
The rush job was Sonic, and everyone else who was made behind him, being Toon Link, Jiggly, and Wolf, along with Mewtwo and Roy, who unfortunately, due to time constraints and Sonic, wasn't able to return. So no, he was not planned to be cut until the last minute.

Last edited:

bilbo43

Smash Cadet
This is not me having a dig at any person/s in particular, I appreciate and respect that everyone has their opinions but the last few pages have been a bit inflamed over the potential theories (neither proven nor disproven) and why characters will or will not be added.

I'll admit I used to have the opinion that the amount of representatives matter but the more I think about it, the more I think it was just coincidental that they seemed to take the same amount of CSS spaces. I'm not trying to rain on anyones theories, I just dont see why series representation would matter anymore. The only exception I could see is if the game has too many characters from the one franchise that it is overly influenced by one series (eg like 10 characters in a 40-50 character game). Just because one series has 6 characters while the next most is 5, I dont see why there should be an issue.

Mewtwo seems logical if Pokemon will receive another rep but theres as much chance he may not be included and we only get Jiggly on top of the already announced characters. The game developers will add who they think suit the game. They may make some mistakes in our eyes but could they truly create a lineup that everyone will be happy with? It may not even be pokemon who gets more reps than the others, it is possible it ends up being pikmin (despite the .005 chance because of the popularity over other series and the lack of characters created in the series) that has the most reps, and if it was, great, I'll still be happy and I'm still buying the game.

I was skeptical at suggestions originally that the mii could be playable, but they released a trailer that made them seem like they can work and now I am happy they are included. I cant use Jiggly or Olimar in a battle to save my life, but it doesn't mean I want them dismissed from the game altogether, it just means I try not to play as them. If I learned anything from my doubts about the mii trainers, its that any character suggestions now I am going to be more open minded about.

So really we should give all the announced and speculated newcomers a chance, give all the returning vets a chance. Just appreciate the game for what it comes up with because face it, if you are willing to join a smash dedicated forum page, you are willing to buy the games no matter who is included. Its obvious you will like the games no matter what characters make it in or out. If Sakurai added every character everyone wanted, we wouldn't get the game for 10 years. In the 2 year time frame to get about 50 characters (approximate) I think we should count ourselves lucky.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Sanic duh Hedgehag.
I'm conflicted on this. On one hand, I hear this, but on the other hand, I also hear that Sonic was intended to be in in the first place when the roster was decided but Sega initially said no, only to change their mind much later and called Nintendo if they can put him in.

SEGA apparently admitted this, so I'm gonna look for it.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm listening for your counterargument. Protip: fan opinion doesn't matter to Sakurai, so might want to dump the 'but the faaaaanz' plea.
I don't think you can really say Sakurai cares nothing for what fans want. The inclusion of characters like Sonic, Mega Man, and Little Mac should show that Sakurai does actually listen to his fans.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Namco said nothing about Pac-Man.
Sega gave a neutral answer.
Capcom said that it was up to Sakurai, but otherwise gave a neutral answer.

Kojima is inferring Snake isn't showing up.
BIG difference. (Though again, Kojima is known for trolling; it's possible he could simply be giving a false impression on purpose.)

Arena Ferox.
Namco did say something about Pacman.

Kojima is a huge troll. This is true. I do want Snake to be in the game. I would still say it's 50/50.
Also plausible that Snake isn't showing up...and it would be Big Boss. ;)

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Never heard of closure contracts (I believe that's what it's called) have you?
A "no comment" would be applicable in such an instance. Kojima's response insinuated that a: he was ignorant of Snake's involvement and b: was giving approval to Sakurai to use Snake. Why do that if it's already been done(and nevermind possible legal action by Konami if Kojima lied about his knowledge of Snake's use, he could be in trouble for perjury there). That's why 'No Comment' exists.

So Shulk and Chrom are now the least likely characters in the world? Well that's good, because while I like Shulk, I hate Chrom. :awesome:
I think you had a tiny bit of trouble parsing my sentence.

You mean like Shulk and Chrom? :troll:
I have Gematsu(information actually about the game) to back up those two, and I don't even like them. Where's your backup of Mewtwo? Some vague "we're considering it" that could just as easily infer he's a boss hazard? Neat. Can't wait to see that proven.

Also, he does have something, Sakurai considering his return. He even said it himself. Also, being part of the original really doesn't mean anything since Ness was going to be cut in Melee and Jiggly was almost going to be cut in Brawl
And yet, not only did both make it, but then Gematsu says LUCAS is the one that's going to die for Ness's sake. Do we still want to ignore O12?

The rush job was Sonic, and everyone else who was made behind him, being Toon Link, Jiggly, and Wolf, along with Mewtwo and Roy, who unfortunately, due to time constraints and Sonic, wasn't able to return. So no, he was not planned to be cut until the last minute.
So, let me get this straight. They were working on Mewtwo, starting Tink, Jiggs, and Wolf AFTER starting Mewtwo and Roy, and then when Sonic came up, decided to ditch him when logically he'd have had more work done than those other three? Sounds like a second-rate character then, at least in Sakurai's eyes, no?

I don't think you can really say Sakurai cares nothing for what fans want. The inclusion of characters like Sonic, Mega Man, and Little Mac should show that Sakurai does actually listen to his fans.
Echoes of Brawl. Remember the fiasco that was R.O.B.? The lack of Krystal? Ridley? Mewtwo? Boy the fans sure were mad on Jan 31st, 2008. I re-read those forums for giggles.

History repeats, and people seem blind to it. Not that I mind. I've made peace with the fact that Krystal's DOA.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Also, honestly about "Pac-man is treated as last"

Sakurai did the same thing when Sonic was annouced...

"Pic of the day. The trio as joint co-stars. Who is the strongest of them all?!"

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Just to clear up some confusion...

Sakurai didn't say that Mewtwo was being considered, rather the inclusion of Mewtwo's "new form", which soon turned out to be Mega Mewtwo Y.

This can benefit Mewtwo even more, honestly.
The comment was too late for deciding the immediate roster, as supposedly it was decided the year before. And even if Sakurai was talking about DLC, which I doubt, why would Mega Mewtwo Y even be considered without Mewtwo? Final Smash, probably.

In conclusion, you can't have Mega Mewtwo Y without the man himself.

Autumn ♫

A "no comment" would be applicable in such an instance. Kojima's response insinuated that a: he was ignorant of Snake's involvement and b: was giving approval to Sakurai to use Snake. Why do that if it's already been done(and nevermind possible legal action by Konami if Kojima lied about his knowledge of Snake's use, he could be in trouble for perjury there). That's why 'No Comment' exists.
Because it's Kojima, you actually expect him to say that?

I have Gematsu(information actually about the game) to back up those two, and I don't even like them. Where's your backup of Mewtwo? Some vague "we're considering it" that could just as easily infer he's a boss hazard? Neat. Can't wait to see that proven.
Since you can't wait to see it proven, I guess my argument is for this. :awesome:

And yet, not only did both make it, but then Gematsu says LUCAS is the one that's going to die for Ness's sake. Do we still want to ignore O12?
He says he doesn't know. He's just assuming Lucas is likely to get cut. So really, that arguments kind of invalid.

So, let me get this straight. They were working on Mewtwo, starting Tink, Jiggs, and Wolf AFTER starting Mewtwo and Roy, and then when Sonic came up, decided to ditch him when logically he'd have had more work done than those other three? Sounds like a second-rate character then, at least in Sakurai's eyes, no?
I think you misunderstood me, they were working on Mewtwo and Roy along with Tink, Jiggs, and Wolf. Tink, Jiggs, and Wolf were just fortunate enough to be finished, while if we had more time or didn't get Sonic, Mewtwo and Roy would have also been finished.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Echoes of Brawl. Remember the fiasco that was R.O.B.? The lack of Krystal? Ridley? Mewtwo? Boy the fans sure were mad on Jan 31st, 2008. I re-read those forums for giggles.

History repeats, and people seem blind to it. Not that I mind. I've made peace with the fact that Krystal's DOA.
Just because Sakurai hasn't given fans everything they ask for doesn't mean he doesn't care for them. Frankly, he does care about us.

Also, why do you say Gematsu is information actually about the game, but then brush off something said by Sakurai himself as trivial?

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Just to clear up some confusion...

Sakurai didn't say that Mewtwo was being considered, rather the inclusion of Mewtwo's "new form", which soon turned out to be Mega Mewtwo Y.

This can benefit Mewtwo even more, honestly.
The comment was too late for deciding the immediate roster, as supposedly it was decided the year before. And even if Sakurai was talking about DLC, which I doubt, why would Mega Mewtwo Y even be considered without Mewtwo? Final Smash, probably.

In conclusion, you can't have Mega Mewtwo Y without the man himself.
M2Y can be a Boss by those words too.

I found your video on Youtube. :troll:
Ain't it good?

Because it's Kojima, you actually expect him to say that?

Everyone thinks that they're playing 11-dimensional chess and completely overlooking the very clear insinuation that Snake is gone. Just like people are overanalysing Ridley's shadow. A cake is just a cake.

Since you can't wait to see it proven, I guess my argument is for this. :awesome:
We'll see who comes down on the right.

He says he doesn't know. He's just assuming Lucas is likely to get cut. So really, that arguments kind of invalid.
Right. Evidence shows Lucas is very likely gone. A 47 character roster reinforces that because there's not enough room for him to return. At least not without someone else losing their slot.

I think you misunderstood me, they were working on Mewtwo and Roy along with Tink, Jiggs, and Wolf. Tink, Jiggs, and Wolf were just fortunate enough to be finished, while if we had more time or didn't get Sonic, Mewtwo and Roy would have also been finished.
Why would Mewtwo and Roy(two characters they've made before) take longer than a brand new character(Wolf) and two other characters they've made before(Tink + Jiggs)? That makes no sense, unless Mewtwo was just a lower priority(which was my point all along). You don't half-do your big hitters unless you don't consider them big hitters.

Just because Sakurai hasn't given fans everything they ask for doesn't mean he doesn't care for them. Frankly, he does care about us.

Also, why do you say Gematsu is information actually about the game, but then brush off something said by Sakurai himself as trivial?
Not trivial. Ambiguous, enough so that it can be inferred that Mewtwo is a boss character because his split Mega Evolution along with his Legendary status screams Boss treatment.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think we kind of already technically know the roster because we know that the characters in the game exist somewhere in the gaming universe.:troll:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Some choice quotes from Sakurai:

"Zelda's down special has been changed, so what happened to Sheik? Don't worry. Sheik is back."

(On Mega Lucario) "We also had some player expectations to fulfill"

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Some choice quotes from Sakurai:

"Zelda's down special has been changed, so what happened to Sheik? Don't worry. Sheik is back."

(On Mega Lucario) "We also had some player expectations to fulfill"
He's also no slave to player expectation. Again, I need only point to the poll he set up and then promptly disregarded.

I give your video a 9.5 :drflip:
Thanks! :D

I think we kind of already technically know the roster because we know that the characters in the game exist somewhere in the gaming universe.:troll:
Well, when the game's limits are such as to include all those characters, then that'll be swell. :) Alas, we've only so many to pick and speculate on.

Autumn ♫

Everyone thinks that they're playing 11-dimensional chess and completely overlooking the very clear insinuation that Snake is gone. Just like people are overanalysing Ridley's shadow. A cake is just a cake.
That would also mean Sonic's gone too though, because Sega didn't have any idea about it either, and never said "no comment" But I guess people are overanaylizing it just like Ridley, they're obviously both in. :awesome:

We'll see who comes down on the right.
Aww, I wanted the left...:awesome:

Right. Evidence shows Lucas is very likely gone. A 47 character roster reinforces that because there's not enough room for him to return. At least not without someone else losing their slot.
Eh, I think we're getting more than 47, but too each their own, and by someone else, do you mean Ness? Because I can still see his cut happening.

Why would Mewtwo and Roy(two characters they've made before) take longer than a brand new character(Wolf) and two other characters they've made before(Tink + Jiggs)? That makes no sense, unless Mewtwo was just a lower priority(which was my point all along). You don't half-do your big hitters unless you don't consider them big hitters.
Probably because they were harder to make, as Toon Link has the same attacks as Link, just a different gravity style, Jiggly is easier to make due to her body shape resembling Kirby's (like in 64), and Wolf had some of the same specials as Fox, which is easier to make than Mewtwo (who has a completely original moveset) and Roy (who I believe would have been more of a semi-clone, like Wolf, but just lower priority than him)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom