• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The number of people unhappy with Mewtwo's interpretation in Melee is much higher than those content with it.

I personally like the moveset, but the world's strongest Pokemon should be a little...
Stronger.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He doesn't suck he just has fundamental problems in his character design. Most likely based on early nerfs he gotten. Cause with all the artibutes Mewtwo has, a strong projectile, strongest throws game in the game, one of the best shields in the game, fastest and longest roll and relative good power on ground attacks it's easy to imagine him a very strong character. And looking at Project M, that's just what he is.

All I want from Mewtwo is a reduced hurt box especially on the tail, more weight, better mobility, and more reach in general (also on the grab). Plus overall buffs in power (knockback, hitstun and overal damage of moves) and less lag on his moves. Also, a new Side and Down B wouldn't hurt.

Seriously, Mewtwo will be the determing factor if I won't flip my **** over this roster or not. There's just NO WAY IN HELL that I feel all these current newcomers deserved it more to be worked on than Mewtwo. I feel Mewtwo should be one of the top priority additions to Sakurai.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
The number of people unhappy with Mewtwo's interpretation in Melee is much higher than those content with it.

I personally like the moveset, but the world's strongest Pokemon should be a little...
Stronger.
yeah and it would be easy to think of a good moveset for him

b normal should stay as shadow ball since that's his thing

side b Swift be a long rang attack that homes in but is weak

down be reflect be a counter that puts a barrier in front of him that if hit by a projectile it bounces back to them or if he is hit with a malee attack it would engulf the person and he would throw them like he did in pokemon Origin downfall to this is while powerful it only covers his front making him wide open behind him

up b being the same as in melee

it's not hard to think of a good moveset for the world most powerful pokemon that would portray that through him

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I never actually considered Swift as an attack for Mewtwo, and now realise how much sense it makes.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
yeah with a moveset like that along with a buff to offense I could see him being more fun to use then he ever was at least for me in melee

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
He doesn't suck he just has fundamental problems in his character design. Most likely based on early nerfs he gotten. Cause with all the artibutes Mewtwo has, a strong projectile, strongest throws game in the game, one of the best shields in the game, fastest and longest roll and relative good power on ground attacks it's easy to imagine him a very strong character. And looking at Project M, that's just what he is.

All I want from Mewtwo is a reduced hurt box especially on the tail, more weight, better mobility, and more reach in general (also on the grab). Plus overall buffs in power (knockback, hitstun and overal damage of moves) and less lag on his moves. Also, a new Side and Down B wouldn't hurt.

Seriously, Mewtwo will be the determing factor if I won't flip my **** over this roster or not. There's just NO WAY IN HELL that I feel all these current newcomers deserved it more to be worked on than Mewtwo. I feel Mewtwo should be one of the top priority additions to Sakurai.
To be perfectly honest, I think characters like Pac-Man deserve significant priority over Mewtwo. Mewtwo's just fanboy actualization, Pac-Man is a gaming legend, older even than Mario himself.

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Double Post Warning Received
To be perfectly honest, I think characters like Pac-Man deserve significant priority over Mewtwo. Mewtwo's just fanboy actualization, Pac-Man is a gaming legend, older even than Mario himself.
Agree %100 on that what Mr Sakuria has done is game history making having Mario the most well known game character, Mega man the most known 3rd party character of all time, Sonic who was part of the Nintendo VS sage rivalry the biggest ricalry in gaming history and Pac Man the Grandfather of Gaming all in one game is something no gamer would ever think would happen go to anyone not even like 20 years in the past you could go back like 5 years in the past and everyone would still not believe it

3rd parties are diffrent but rosilina, villager, wft,and miis are good examples of once that shouldnt be
yeah because you know Mii being the reason the wii first blasted off as being the most sold nintendo game system of all time, Wii Fit being the most sold game on the wii, and Animal crossing being one of the most beloved sim game behind the sims is not good reason for them to get a character in at all

Last edited by a moderator:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
:150: I AM MEWTWO, THE ULTIMATE POKEMON. MY STRONGEST MOVES ARE TAIL WHIPS. FEAR ME!!

But seriously, I can never get into Mewtwo's playstyle in Melee (and even in Project M). I guess he's just not a fighter for me, however, that doesn't mean I don't want to see him return. I'd really like to see the changes they'll give Mewtwo if he's in and whatnot. He should get his own victory theme

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
and to the people who hate on WTF just think if Sakuria wanted to be a troll like we all know he is he could of had the Wii Fit Board instead of Wii Fit Trainer

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
@ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong Yeah... You can pull off some neat combos using those tail whips, but I'd be lying if I said it looks cool. I'd prefer somethings else, though I wouldn't mind if they keep like on tail move. SMACK!!

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
i would have played the board it just sounds more unique wft looks to boring and wished she dosnt take anyone slot spot
as I said all of them have had a impact on nintendo in one in and another so I think all the characters so far have earned their spots even if I did think it was odd at first with WTF after taking it in it made alot of sense to have her since her game was the best selling wii game of all time

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
How is Mewtwo fanboy actualization? Like, I too think Pac-Man should certainly get priority over most characters, as he is a true icon, but you're severely understating his importance and significance in the Pokemon games, especially as of late.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
as I said all of them have had a impact on nintendo in one in and another so I think all the characters so far have earned their spots even if I did think it was odd at first with WTF after taking it in it made alot of sense to have her since her game was the best selling wii game of all time
i guess but she should have used the board as a attack to make her more orignal

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
i guess but she should have used the board as a attack to make her more orignal
the fact she has a move that increases her power and heals her I think that is unique I can't think of any character that can do that

D

Deleted member

:150: I AM MEWTWO, THE ULTIMATE POKEMON. MY STRONGEST MOVES ARE TAIL WHIPS. FEAR ME!!

But seriously, I can never get into Mewtwo's playstyle in Melee (and even in Project M). I guess he's just not a fighter for me, however, that doesn't mean I don't want to see him return. I'd really like to see the changes they'll give Mewtwo if he's in and whatnot. He should get his own victory theme
Mewtwo's strongest moves aren't tails whips.
Tails don't grow from the front. :troll:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Let's stop talking about Mewtwo for a bit. The conversation's getting a bit stale.

How about the likelihood of a replacement for Lucas, if he is indeed cut. Will we receive a new Mother/Earthbound character, like Porky, or will Mother be restricted to one rep?
How is Mewtwo fanboy actualization? Like, I too think Pac-Man should certainly get priority over most characters, as he is a true icon, but you're severely understating his importance and significance in the Pokemon games, especially as of late.
Don't even wind him up, he won't stop if you do.

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
personally I never thought mother should have grown outside of ness but then again I never played any of the mother games so I can't really talk on it's behalf

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
@ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong Yeah... You can pull off some neat combos using those tail whips, but I'd be lying if I said it looks cool. I'd prefer somethings else, though I wouldn't mind if they keep like on tail move. SMACK!!
I really hope his tilts stay the same. His Smash attacks need the most work in terms of buffing I feel. Also, I think Forward Tilt looks pretty badass, but it's Down and Up Tilt that are used in combos the most.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Let's stop talking about Mewtwo for a bit. The conversation's getting a bit stale.

How about the likelihood of a replacement for Lucas, if he is indeed cut. Will we receive a new Mother/Earthbound character, like Porky, or will Mother be restricted to one rep?
I think the Mother series will be Lucas and Ness, or Ness only. I don't see us getting a new Mother rep. Sure, I'd like to have Claus/Masked Man, but my own opinion: Porky has good merits as well.

It will be the two boys or just Ness for sure. Hopefully the former, as I love Lucas.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
if a game I think should get a another rep though it would have to be yoshi or Wario games

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler

mother should have one rep becuse of its series dead, now if they were to make a new one which is incedibly unlikely then they i could see someone replace lucas i would persionaly pefer a new metriod,dk,or f zero rep instead of adding lucas back

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

The only character that I'd rather have than Lucas is Masked Man or Porky.
However, like stated above. It'll be Ness and Lucas, or just Ness.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I cringe at the usage of the word "rep". Eughhhhh....such a gross word.

I hope that word dies in a fire.

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
I cringe at the usage of the word "rep". Eughhhhh....such a gross word.

I hope that word dies in a fire.
How, exactly? Can you please elaborate? It's just a shortening of representative, but if you hate it so much I'll just use representative like I usually do. It just gets a bit repetitive typing it over and over again.

But back on topic, my personal best case scenario for the Earthbound series in Super Smash Bros. 4 is that both Ness and Lucas return and Ninten is added as a newcomer. I know what you're thinking, "But he both looks and plays too similarly to Ness! He'd just be a useless clone and a waste of a character slot (I hate to use that term)!" All I have to say to that is have faith. We need a character to represent the original Mother and obviously it would have to be the protagonist. I'm sure Sakurai could come up with a distinct moveset for him with his endless creativity.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
How, exactly? Can you please elaborate? It's just a shortening of representative, but if you hate it so much I'll just use representative like I usually do. It just gets a bit repetitive typing it over and over again.

But back on topic, my personal best case scenario for the Earthbound series in Super Smash Bros. 4 is that both Ness and Lucas return and Ninten is added as a newcomer. I know what you're thinking, "But he both looks and plays too similarly to Ness! He'd just be a useless clone and a waste of a character slot (I hate to use that term)!" All I have to say to that is have faith. We need a character to represent the original Mother and obviously it would have to be the protagonist. I'm sure Sakurai could come up with a distinct moveset for him with his endless creativity.
I'd like to see Teddy, myself.

Khoru

Smash Champion
because "series having representatives" is a dumb concept
if our mario characters were dr mario, waluigi, daisy, boom boom, and il piantissimo we'd still have five reps
it's on the same level as saying a character "stole another's slot"

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ness, Lucas, Ninten? No problem. It's in a way the same as Fox, Falco and Wolf. And I have no problem with that trio. Provided they are all as unique as the StarFox trio of course.

if a game I think should get a another rep though it would have to be yoshi or Wario games
Donkey Kong Country, Zelda and Kirby first please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Ugh, not another psychic. And one who looks almost exactly like Ness?

If MOTHER is going to be represented once more, I'd much rather prefer Jeff or Porky. Jeff at least used gadgets and doodads, and Porky can bring something fresh to the roster in the form of a mecha.

It'd be the closest thing we'd get to a playable Eggman or Wily.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
because "series having representatives" is a dumb concept
if our mario characters were dr mario, waluigi, daisy, boom boom, and il piantissimo we'd still have five reps
it's on the same level as saying a character "stole another's slot"
Well they do Represent their own series so I guess they Are Representatives or "reps".
It be silly to state otherwise.
I mean what other word are we going to use to describe the series in which the character's derived.
"Mario has five Mario characters, and Zelda has 4 Zelda characters."
I prefer saying "Mario has 5 representatives and Zelda has 4 reps."

Khoru

Smash Champion
Well they do Represent their own series so I guess they Are Representatives or "reps".
It be silly to state otherwise.
I mean what other word are we going to use to describe the series in which the character's derived.
"Mario has five Mario characters, and Zelda has 4 Zelda characters."
I prefer saying "Mario has 5 representatives and Zelda has 4 reps."
i was unclear
characters get in on their own merits, not because sakurai just sits down and says "okay yeah mario needs another representative"

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ugh, not another psychic. And one who looks almost exactly like Ness?

If MOTHER is going to be represented once more, I'd much rather prefer Jeff or Porky. Jeff at least used gadgets and doodads, and Porky can bring something fresh to the roster in the form of a mecha.

It'd be the closest thing we'd get to a playable Eggman or Wily.
Technically the most interessting Mother character by far would be Lucas's twin brother.

Porky would be cool to though indeed.

Let's just say I wouldn't mind Ninten, if only cause he's a Mother character.

StarFox trio? Even if they are semi-clones, I got no problem with it.

Two other 'trio' concepts:

Blue Haired Sword Lords: Marth, Ike, Chrom
-Pretty much confirmed to happen. Chrom will most likely share similarities with Marth due to also weilding the Falchion. And most could see similarities to Ike to, due to having Aether.

The big ape and two monkeys called Kong: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong
-Even if Dixie doesn't make the roster innitially, she's a very likely DLC candidate. Will most likely have a similar sort of moveset to Diddy, and even if she doesn't, characteristic as build, weight and movement will create similarities. She could potentiall even carry around people with her hair, ala DK! Spinning Kong? I can only think of ONE Kong that can fly by spinning.. And it isn't DK.

So Ninten? No problem. But I still would prefer Claus as a semi-clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom