• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I don't know why there's any dispute over which character we'll get from Fire Emblem Awakening, Chrom is the most obvious choice. I know that you kind of have to expect the unexpected when it comes to Sakurai, but when has the Fire Emblem character that represents a game in the series NOT been the main lord?
Well, Lucina is also a main lord, and gets more promotion than Chrom does, so that's going for her. (And I honestly think she holds more in the story than Chrom does most of the time)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't know why there's any dispute over which character we'll get from Fire Emblem Awakening, Chrom is the most obvious choice. I know that you kind of have to expect the unexpected when it comes to Sakurai, but when has the Fire Emblem character that represents a game in the series NOT been the main lord?
There are two Lords in Awakening. Lucina is one of them.

Also, saying you must expect the unexpected and then saying we get Chrom based on precedent is an amusing oxymoron.

Khoru

Smash Champion
There are two Lords in Awakening. Lucina is one of them.

Also, saying you must expect the unexpected and then saying we get Chrom based on precedent is an amusing oxymoron.
however, robin fulfills the lord archetype, despite not being the class itself
go ahead and tell me about how lucina can't be allowed to die on the battlefield

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Well, I might as well go ahead and post my most realistic guess for SSB4's roster:

View attachment 17091

So yeah, 48 characters total. I think the Gematsu is real by this point, and Lucas, Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are out. We're getting Brawl's roster except those four, plus the Gematsu leak and Rosalina, and returning veteran Mewtwo. I think because of Game Freak's constant advertising for Mewtwo that he's essentially a lock for this game.

The Miis are oddly placed because I believe they're going to have their own unique slot. We know that the Miis aren't going to be playable in Online Mode, so that makes them a special addition.
Yup this is mine as well. I would love to add Ridley and K Rool, but i have this nagging feeling they aren't playable :(

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
"This leak is fake because it has a character I don't like"

So, basically nothing new.
Oh believe me, things will take a turn for the better or worse once the tipper sings one last time for August. It's just that many argue that the wait is too painful for them to handle unlike Brawl's leak which spoiled everything at once before the game even came out.

Also, LOL at Chrom being the subject of this topic again.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
"This leak is fake because it has a character I don't like"

So, basically nothing new.
Are you referring to people wanting Robin, or people not wanting Chrom?

Because I'm neither. I couldn't give two less ****s who the Fire Emblem rep is as long as they're enjoyable to play as with friends in the actual game and not metagame BS.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I normally hear people want Robin because of his moveset of magic and sword, but I honestly don't think that's a good arguement.
We have Palutena: Weapon + Magic
Ness and Lucas: Psychic Energy + Bat/stick
Possibly Shulk: Sword + Monado Powers
Possibly new Ganondorf: Sword + Magic
And then there's Isaac if he's in.

All of those are unique, but I'm just saying it's not like Robin will be revolutionary or necessary with a sword + magic moveset. Plus as we have seen with our newcomers so far, all of them are unique regardless of the possible moveset potential.

I can understand the need to represent the tactical/magical part of FE, though. That's a fine arguement.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I also just thought of a horror scenario: what if Mewtwo's Special Moves suddenly got revealed as alternative custom moves for Lucario and Greninja? All but Disable.
I've always wanted them to split up the existing Mother Specials between Ness and Lucas and have them then fill in the blanks with more appropriate moves.

So Ness could keep PSI Magnet and Flash (with Freeze as a custom move) but get teleport as a recovery as his up special and hypnosis as his side special.

Lucas could keep PK Fire (with the Ness variation as a custom move) and Thunder but also have Offense up as his neutral and Counter as his down special.

These are just examples, and I'm sure some people would hate to lose the specials that they are used to, but as a person who enjoys using both characters I would love for this to happen.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You guys are taking your expectations for Robin too far.
I don't think anyone here actually expects Robin. We just really hope for him/her.

Is that taking it too far?

Last edited:

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
The thing about Chrom is that he is the face of Fire Emblem Awakening. I can see Lucina being a reskin for Marth since she was marth with that mask on... Robin is just wishful thinking. He is just an avatar character but then again The Villager got in with multiple skins and stuff.

Why can't we have all of them?? they are all awesome T__T

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The thing about Chrom is that he is the face of Fire Emblem Awakening. I can see Lucina being a reskin for Marth since she was marth with that mask on... Robin is just wishful thinking. He is just an avatar character but then again The Villager got in with multiple skins and stuff.

Why can't we have all of them?? they are all awesome T__T
If you've played even past the tutorial, you'd know Robin's not just an avatar character.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I highly doubt Lucina would end up as Marth's (or even Chrom's) alternate costume, considering Sakurai not wanting such costumes to become completely different characters.

EDIT: Pacack actually phrased it better than I did.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I highly doubt Lucina would end up as Marth's (or even Chrom's) alternate costume, considering Sakurai's statements regarding not wanting such costumes to become different characters.
Considering Dark Pit's most likely situation, I'd say it's more of a guideline than a rule.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Considering Dark Pit's most likely situation, I'd say it's more of a guideline than a rule.
I think it applies to characters that are highly requested and not to those who are not. Dark Pit was requested some, but not a lot. Practically no one's going to be upset if he's a costume. Lucina, on the other hand, was (and is) fairly highly requested. Making her just an alternate costume would make a lot of people upset.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I honestly never really heard support for Dark Pit until after Palutena's trailer.

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
I wanted Dark Pit way, way back. My hopes for him died sometime after E3 last year, but they've felt a slight resurgence after Palutea's trailer.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I honestly never really heard support for Dark Pit until after Palutena's trailer.
Like Palutena, it's not until they become relevant again that it gets seriously noticed. Before Uprising was announced, Palutena support was barely visible and in large numbers. As soon as Uprising was announced, people jumped on the Palutena train.

With Uprising's release, Dark Pit gained a bit of support but most assumed an alternate palette role for Smash 4. With his appearance in the trailer (which I personally believe is a firm disconfirmation, much like Isabelle and Tom Nook in the past) he's gained support in a much larger quantity. Remember that Newcomers only get announced in trailers (which is official word from Sakurai, by the way) and I believe that it should be taken as such. Others will disagree with their own opinions, and I'll agree to disagree.

Of course, he's also got other potentials to compete with in the future, like Magnus, Viridi and Medusa. He could be strapped to the Pit palette forever, but I doubt he's playable in Smash Wii U/3DS.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I think that Dark Pit won't be an pallette swap this game, since Sakurai has made a rule for himself that complete different characters won't be alternative costumes of existing characters, and the Palutena trailer hinting him for something, so I'm assuming that he'll either be playable, a stage hazard for Palutena's stage, or a mini-boss in Smash Run.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I think that Dark Pit won't be an pallette swap this game, since Sakurai has made a rule for himself that complete different characters won't be alternative costumes of existing characters, and the Palutena trailer hinting him for something, so I'm assuming that he'll either be playable, a stage hazard for Palutena's stage, or a mini-boss in Smash Run.
Dark Pit was a costume before he was a character. inb4 someone says "That's not Dark Pit, it's just dark Pit".

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Nor Chrom, neither Robin. Shut up Ana! Go home Lucina, I know you are not Marth! Bring me Black Knight and I'll be happy!
'Nuff said. :troll:

Seriously, I'll be happy with Chrom.

Morbi

Scavenger
There is a dispute as there is no objective evidence for Chrom; there is actually evidence contrary to his inclusion, such as statements pertaining to his role according to the voice-actor, Mercer. Logic dictates that we must evaluate all of the possibilities. It would be fallacious and presumptuous to assume that Chrom is the most likely because he appears on the front cover of the game. Especially given the observable direction of Sakurai.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
People must stop saying character have no chance, character is shoo in. Rosalina have no chance. Greninja would be a strange kid dream, too new, ya know. Villager will never enter before Tom Nook. Toon Link and Lucario are obviously cut, Ike will be replaced. Little Mac doesn't have moveset potential. Sakurai said he wouldn't prioritize Namco characters, then Pac Man is out. Dark Pit is deconfirmed, Palutena, Ridley, Mr. G&W and Mewtwo too. Ya see, Kraid is in pyrosphere! We must complete plumber 4, Waluigi is shoo in! I laugh now and I'll laugh a lot in the future. Daisy for Smash, obvious choice!
When Sakurai is in the equation, anything can happen guys. Does things have more chance than others? Yes, but nothing is in or out till the official site be updated.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
People must stop saying character have no chance, character is shoo in. Rosalina have no chance. Greninja would be a strange kid dream, too new, ya know. Villager will never enter before Tom Nook. Toon Link and Lucario are obviously cut, Ike will be replaced. Little Mac doesn't have moveset potential. Sakurai said he wouldn't prioritize Namco characters, then Pac Man is out. Dark Pit is deconfirmed, Palutena, Ridley, Mr. G&W and Mewtwo too. Ya see, Kraid is in pyrosphere! We must complete plumber 4, Waluigi is shoo in! I laugh now and I'll laugh a lot in the future. Daisy for Smash, obvious choice!
When Sakurai is in the equation, anything can happen guys. Does things have more chance than others? Yes, but nothing is in or out till the official site be updated.
I feel as though that reasoning is equally erroneous; there are certain characters that are undoubtedly not in the game, not even as assist trophies or cameos. However, there are certainly characters that are foreseeable beyond a reasonable doubt. Technically, the characters are absolute. They are either playable, or they are not. We assign arbitrary ratings to each and every character in a pathetic attempt to discern their perceived likelihood. You cite many examples where the community was incorrect; however, certain aspects that you listed are subjective. On top of that, the community is not the only voice, for instance, I never believed that Toon Link, Lucario, or Ike were obvious omissions, I thought that antithesis of such. Essentially, you are illuminating where we were wrong, but we have speculated just as much correctly. It is not as though Sakurai is as unpredictable as everyone alludes.

Last edited:

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Honestly with all these desired characters, I believe they should add some more from the Sonic games, particularly Blaze the Cat

She'd be a pretty cool character imo

D

Deleted member

I think that Dark Pit won't be an pallette swap this game, since Sakurai has made a rule for himself that complete different characters won't be alternative costumes of existing characters

Dark Pit is probably still a recolor, but with his own voice clips or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
Honestly with all these desired characters, I believe they should add some more from the Sonic games, particularly Blaze the Cat

She'd be a pretty cool character imo
Of course, I can't say this for sure, but I'm very certain that Sakurai has a rule of no more than one 3rd party character per franchise or even company. He's strongly reiterated time and time again that Super Smash Bros., despite having a few guest characters, is still very much so a Nintendo fighting game, and that only the characters that are really deserving of a spot on the roster will make it in. Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the largest, if not the largest and most recognizable non-Nintendo video game character out there, and Sega was the second biggest video game company and console manufacturer aside from Nintendo back in the day. Mega Man has primarily had games on Nintendo systems, and the classic Mega Man series is incredibly popular and iconic. I don't even think I have to say anything about Pac-Man. But Blaze the Cat...? There's practically nothing going for her.

Morbi

Scavenger
Of course, I can't say this for sure, but I'm very certain that Sakurai has a rule of no more than one 3rd party character per franchise or even company. He's strongly reiterated time and time again that Super Smash Bros., despite having a few guest characters, is still very much so a Nintendo fighting game, and that only the characters that are really deserving of a spot on the roster will make it in. Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the largest, if not the largest and most recognizable non-Nintendo video game character out there, and Sega was the second biggest video game company and console manufacturer aside from Nintendo back in the day. Mega Man has primarily had games on Nintendo systems, and the classic Mega Man series is incredibly popular and iconic. I don't even think I have to say anything about Pac-Man. But Blaze the Cat...? There's practically nothing going for her.
Unless you can objectively determine such, it is not to be presumed the case. I suppose precedent supports this sentiment to an extent; however, that is not the best way to evaluate the situation given the notion that we only have one and a half games. This mentality will be more concrete during Smash 5 speculation.

D

Deleted member

I want Ninten and Lucas as a special alt. if Dark Pit is going to be his own alt.
Why? At least with Dark Pit and Pit it makes since because they have the exact same design, but Lucas is not Ness. Had Lucas not been in Brawl, no one would suggest him as an alternate skin because Lucas is not Ness. I'd be fine if Ness got a recolor that game him a yellow/red striped shirt like Lucas, but at the same time, it would probably replace the bumblebee Ness...

Morbi

Scavenger
Why? At least with Dark Pit and Pit it makes since because they have the exact same design, but Lucas is not Ness. Had Lucas not been in Brawl, no one would suggest him as an alternate skin because Lucas is not Ness. I'd be fine if Ness got a recolor that game him a yellow/red striped shirt like Lucas, but at the same time, it would probably replace the bumblebee Ness...
Had Ness not been in Smash 64, no one would suggest him for Melee. What is your point? Objectively speaking, Lucas was in Brawl. Let us not wander into "what if" territory as that could always be refuted with an equally outlandish "what if."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom