• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Of course, I can't say this for sure, but I'm very certain that Sakurai has a rule of no more than one 3rd party character per franchise or even company. He's strongly reiterated time and time again that Super Smash Bros., despite having a few guest characters, is still very much so a Nintendo fighting game, and that only the characters that are really deserving of a spot on the roster will make it in. Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the largest, if not the largest and most recognizable non-Nintendo video game character out there, and Sega was the second biggest video game company and console manufacturer aside from Nintendo back in the day. Mega Man has primarily had games on Nintendo systems, and the classic Mega Man series is incredibly popular and iconic. I don't even think I have to say anything about Pac-Man. But Blaze the Cat...? There's practically nothing going for her.
I don't know. Already, the roster has some surprise picks for me. I honestly didn't think Rosalina and Luma would be on there, same with WiiFit Trainer. I would honestly like a few more third-party characters like Blaze or even Dr. Eggman, (One of the more recognizable faces of the Sonic games). Dr. Eggman would provide another unique character into the game and satisfy those who want some other major villains in SSB4. Though if Blaze doesn't make it, I do hope Sakurai will add some more female characters like Krystal from Starfox. They did get Palutena and Rosalina, (And female Villager), and seperated Zelda and Sheik and Samus and Zero Suit Samus, but I think a few more female characters/villains would be nice compliments to the game.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Why? At least with Dark Pit and Pit it makes since because they have the exact same design, but Lucas is not Ness. Had Lucas not been in Brawl, no one would suggest him as an alternate skin because Lucas is not Ness. I'd be fine if Ness got a recolor that game him a yellow/red striped shirt like Lucas, but at the same time, it would probably replace the bumblebee Ness...
This statement makes me laugh, no offense. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Had Ness not been in Smash 64, no one would suggest him for Melee. What is your point? Objectively speaking, Lucas was in Brawl. Let us not wander into "what if" territory as that could always be refuted with an equally outlandish "what if."
I just think it's ridiculous to take a character (Lucas, Roy, Wolf etc.) and make them a skin of a character they are not, (Ness, Marth, Fox etc.) just because they had similar animations/played similarly. It makes no since. Recolors that resemble them are fine, and is a nice nod to the character, but really, it makes no since. If we're operating solely on fact, I guess I have no evidence saying that it won't happen, but it just seems silly to make Lucas a Ness skin, or Roy a Marth skin etc.

This statement makes me laugh, no offense. :laugh:
Uh, Dark Pit is literally a Pit recolor. Sure they have different personalities, but he is just a Pit recolor.
Lucas at least as his bizarre hairstyle to make him look different from Ness in addition to their different personalities. Ninten is a different story altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'm fine with them adding characters based on their abilities and popularity rather than whether or not they have a vagina.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
No cut veteran should be made into a costume. That's just plain a spit to the face of that character's mains. Unless it's like PM:Mario, who is more like Dr. Mario than normal Mario. It's fine in cases like those.

Morbi

Scavenger
I just think it's ridiculous to take a character (Lucas, Roy, Wolf etc.) and make them a skin of a character they are not, (Ness, Marth, Fox etc.) just because they had similar animations/played similarly. It makes no since. Recolors that resemble them are fine, and is a nice nod to the character, but really, it makes no since. If we're operating solely on fact, I guess I have no evidence saying that it won't happen, but it just seems silly to make Lucas a Ness skin, or Roy a Marth skin etc.

Uh, Dark Pit is literally a Pit recolor. Sure they have different personalities, but he is just a Pit recolor.
Lucas at least as his bizarre hairstyle to make him look different from Ness in addition to their different personalities. Ninten is a different story altogether.
I agree, with the first portion of your post. It would be "ridiculous;" however, I was not necessarily addressing that aspect of the post in my response.

I'm fine with them adding characters based on their abilities and popularity rather than whether or not they have a vagina.
I am fine with female characters that offer something in regards to abilities and popularity over male characters that offer the same.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Not to Sakurai, he's treated a different character just like how Dr. Mario is a seperate character from Mario. You guys are really distorted from what Dark Pit can actually do to be different. Lucas differentiated himself with PK Freeze and a different take on all his 3 other specials? Why not Dark Pit, why not give him the other weapons from Uprising to make him a different character?

No cut veteran should be made into a costume. That's just plain a spit to the face of that character's mains. Unless it's like PM:Mario, who is more like Dr. Mario than normal Mario. It's fine in cases like those.
The Project M style is pretty unlikely to happen in Smash 4.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I kinda want Dark Pit to be announced as playable just so people will stop thinking of Gematsu as all knowing.

D

Deleted member

I agree, with the first portion of your post. It would be "ridiculous;" however, I was not necessarily addressing that aspect of the post in my response.
Ah, never mind then.

Not to Sakurai, he's treated a different character just like how Dr. Mario is a seperate character from Mario. You guys are really distorted from what Dark Pit can actually do to be different. Lucas differentiated himself with PK Freeze and a different take on all his 3 other specials? Why not Dark Pit, why not give him the other weapons from Uprising to make him a different character?
That's not what I take issue with; I take issue with your saying that if Dark Pit is a recolor of Pit with different voice clips, then Lucas should be demoted to an alternate too. Should Lucas not be playable, make him a trophy, and give his moves to Ness. Do not make him a skin. Most of what makes Lucas unique are his normals. Ness does not have Lucas's normals, and it wouldn't feel like Lucas even if you changed Ness's moves to the Lucas versions. Dark Pit could no doubt be a different character. I just take issue with your saying that him and Lucas are on the same playing field.

Morbi

Scavenger
I kinda want Dark Pit to be announced as playable just so people will stop thinking of Gematsu as all knowing.
Unfortunately, that would have no bearing on the legitimacy of the Gematsu leak based on the "Rosalina Clause." A blatant deconfirmation of Chrom, Chorus Men, or Shulk is necessary to achieve what you seek. Another Fire Emblem or Rhythm Heaven representative confirmation might also do the trick.

D

Deleted member

Unfortunately, that would have no bearing on the legitimacy of the Gematsu leak based on the "Rosalina Clause." A blatant deconfirmation of Chrom, Chorus Men, or Shulk is necessary to achieve what you seek. Another Fire Emblem or Rhythm Heaven representative confirmation might also do the trick.
God, I really hate this leak sometimes. The vague wording allows people to still believe unless one of those 3 are deconfirmed, and allow it to not be considered a legitimate leak unless all 3 are confirmed. Ugh. I wish we could just get this over with. Just confirm Shulk already, and then I can stop caring about the leak.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I didn't mean disprove entirely, just disprove the idea that were getting gematsu + Rosalina and nothing else. I really want this theory to be disproven.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
God, I really hate this leak sometimes. The vague wording allows people to still believe unless one of those 3 are deconfirmed, and allow it to not be considered a legitimate leak unless all 3 are confirmed. Ugh. I wish we could just get this over with. Just confirm Shulk, and then I won't want it to be real anymore.
Wii Fit Trainer should've convinced you that he was a legit leaker from the beginning, this is one of the very few real leaks out there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wii Fit Trainer should convinced you that he was a legit leaker from the beginning, this is one of the very few real leaks out there.
I personally think it's real, but there are still skeptics. I personally only want it to be real for Shulk.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Honestly, isn't Dark Pit technically disconfirmed?
All newcomers are always announced directly in trailers. Seeing how Dark Pit wasn't given a Newcomer announcement, a spot on the website, or anything like that is the equivalent to Isabelle or Tom Nook in this regard.

God, I really hate this leak sometimes. The vague wording allows people to still believe unless one of those 3 are deconfirmed, and allow it to not be considered a legitimate leak unless all 3 are confirmed.
Rosalina & Luma bear no effect on the leak in my eyes; it's only down to those three.
The leak would be debunked if any of the three was disconfirmed.
If all three are confirmed, the leak is legit. Simple as that.

It's not about "if we get newcomers other than those" it's about those newcomers that are specifically listed. The leak itself never outright said "this is all we are getting" or something like that, it's only bearing attention to those that are listed.

I personally think it's real, but there are still skeptics. I personally only want it to be real for Shulk.
I see Shulk being an unlockable unless he's revealed in August. It's not likely we'll see much because we haven't seen anything already. He may end up like ROB in Brawl, having no representation or stage at the beginning but showing up representing his series as a secret character.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I can totally see Shulk as an unlockable in the vein of Ness or Cap. Falcon.

Chorus Kids on the other hand, I have a hard time seeing them as unlockable.

Chrom can go either way, but the most recent lord would likely be starter imo.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Given Rhythm Heaven's popularity in Japan I can see them being the reveal for August.
Either that, or Chrom. Shulk just strikes me as token first unlockable newcomer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Given Rhythm Heaven's popularity in Japan I can see them being the reveal for August.
Either that, or Chrom. Shulk just strikes me as token first unlockable newcomer.
If Chrom is revealed they'd better do a good job of making him interesting, or else I'll have my joke character. Yes. I'd play Chrom in a less serious fashion than Yoshi, or Mii Billy Mays.

Chorus Kids would at least reassure my slight doubts about Shulk.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I can totally see Shulk as an unlockable in the vein of Ness or Cap. Falcon.

Chrom can go either way, but the most recent lord would likely be starter imo.
^^^Agreed with everything.

D

Deleted member

There is a dispute as there is no objective evidence for Chrom; there is actually evidence contrary to his inclusion, such as statements pertaining to his role according to the voice-actor, Mercer.
Not evidence.
We know Ali Hillis isn't reprising the role of Palutena for Smash, so just because Matthew Mercer hasn't been specifically contacted to reprise the role of Chrom doesn't mean somebody else hasn't.

Dark Pit is probably still a recolor, but with his own voice clips or something.
The M is green now?

.....it was the right color in Melee and Brawl. Why would they change it?

D

Deleted member

The M is green now?

.....it was the right color in Melee and Brawl. Why would they change it?
I dunno. It's like the Daisy color in Melee. It was perfect with the darker skin. I know more recent games bleach her significantly, but why? Maybe some developer thought it would be funny to change it, and that is why Sakurai kept stating that the game was in fact, a demo.

D

Deleted member

I see Shulk being an unlockable unless he's revealed in August. It's not likely we'll see much because we haven't seen anything already. He may end up like ROB in Brawl, having no representation or stage at the beginning but showing up representing his series as a secret character.
I think the reason ROB wasn't given a stage is more due to the fact that he was a peripheral for the NES. If Xenoblade didn't get stage representation, it would be a shame in my opinion because that game has both beautiful environments and amazing music. It would be a shame to not have one. Every other franchise in brawl, including some for characters that weren't even there, got a new stage, so there's no reason Shulk wouldn't.

D

Deleted member

I think the reason ROB wasn't given a stage is more due to the fact that he was a peripheral for the NES. If Xenoblade didn't get stage representation, it would be a shame in my opinion because that game has both beautiful environments and amazing music. It would be a shame to not have one. Every other franchise in brawl, including some for characters that weren't even there, got a new stage, so there's no reason Shulk wouldn't.
Basically this. If Xenoblade doesn't get a stage, there is no excuse at all. They would be excluding some of the best music they could possibly add.

D

Deleted member

I dunno. It's like the Daisy color in Melee. It was perfect with the darker skin. I know more recent games bleach her significantly, but why? Maybe some developer thought it would be funny to change it, and that is why Sakurai kept stating that the game was in fact, a demo.

I could not understand any of that....

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
If Falco were to be engulfed by Fox and be an alternate costume, I'd like to see Peppy and Slippy too. And Then Wolf could have Leon, Pigma, Andrew, and Panther. Some of them probably wouldn't work though since they are different shapes and sizes. Fox/Falco and Wolf/Panther could at least work.. It'd be cool to have Star Fox be one rep, Star Wolf be another, and then Krystal as a third unique playstyle. Or they could further distinguish Falco and Wolf from Fox. I just don't want to lose Falco. Especially for Krystal. We need three dog-like Star Fox reps like we need three blue-haired sword lord Fire Emblem reps.

D

Deleted member

Translation; I find this downgrade comparable to the downgrade of the Daisy recolor from Melee to Brawl. The second half of it is my usual brand of failed comedy.
Ah, thanks for the clarification.

I agree but on the extent of the Brawl "Daisy" being just a palette swap while the Melee "Daisy" actually going the extra mile to alter the graphics to change the gloves, earings, brooch, crown, the dress itself (floral patterns around the color and sleeves), etc.

Not to the extent of Brawl taking after the modern Daisy which I think you were saying.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Honestly, isn't Dark Pit technically disconfirmed?
All newcomers are always announced directly in trailers. Seeing how Dark Pit wasn't given a Newcomer announcement, a spot on the website, or anything like that is the equivalent to Isabelle or Tom Nook in this regard.
Yes. I believe that Dark Pit's little cameo in that trailer hurt him far more than it helped him. Every other character we've seen as a cameo in a trailer has been de-confirmed, even if it looked like they were being hinted at to some (Tom Nook). The fact that Dark Pit was directly referenced in that trailer and wasn't actually revealed leads me to believe that he's been de-confirmed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes. I believe that Daek Pit's little cameo in that trailer hurt him far more than it helped him. Every other character we've seen as a cameo in a trailer has been de-confirmed, even if it looked like they were being hinted at to some (Tom Nook). The fact that Dark Pit was directly referenced in that trailer and wasn't actually revealed leads me to believe that he's been de-confirmed.
Suddenly; Pic of the Day! Dark Pit "crashes" the party!...

...after Palutena uses her Final Smash! This is just a brief cameo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom