• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It still goes a long way towards making him a different character. Brawl was the major game changer. I can already see a lot of fan favorites like G-Dorf and Falco being "late reveals" due to big changes in their moveset or properties, like Yoshi (since they pretty much had to make a new model for Yoshi instead of being able to start with the Brawl assets).

I dunno, I'm not buying it. I don't think the time of the reveal for veterans mean much since most of them are tied to an anniversary or a release, with the exceptions being the FE lords and the Smash Direct veterans.

Only problem is that, AFAIK, ROB is the only veteran left with any sort of anniversary or game coming up, as the anniversary for the Famicom is on July 15th. I'll go search more.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
So this is my Wish Roster, with a combination of my wants, your wants, and Gematsu. Enjoy.
Wish Roster Roster.png

My wants are Bandana Dee, Black Shadow, Sceptile, Chibi-Robo and Krystal.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
So if Wolf does get cut, do you think they'll replace him?
At this point no, I'm only expecting what is left of the leak for newcomers, however if the pattern is to cut semi/pseudo clones of similar weight like ness and Lucas, falco and wolf in favor of having a more unique character roster and if (big if) we get more newcomers then I could see him being replaced, but of course with a totally unique from fox character.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
So I decided to check for any sort of significant anniversary coming up for veterans. There's pretty much NO game to be released for any of them, so that's all we have. I'm only accounting for Japanese release dates and significant games, and also taking account the day of week. (No Saturdays or Sundays. If there's a Monday date, I'll specify.) I doubt any of this means anything, but just for fun.
R.O.B:
  • Famicom Anniversary. July 15th.
Mr. Game&Watch:
  • TOO MANY
Captain Falcon:
  • F-Zero X. July 14th (MONDAY)
  • F-Zero GX. July 25th.
Ness:
  • Earthbound. August 27th.
Wario:
  • Wario Land 4. August 21.
  • Mario & Wario. August 27th
Falco and/or Wolf:
  • Star Fox 64 3D. July 14th (MONDAY)

Ice Climbers, Meta Knight, Ganondorf, Lucas and Jigglypuff:
  • None that I could find.

I'd honestly only expect ROB. :x

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
What if Ness has Lucas' B moves as customizable move options? Would Lucas still be a lock? I know that Lucas is VERY different from Ness, but if Ness "took" his specials, would they replace them or give him even more variations on them?
As a Lucas main, other than the mechanics of pk thunder 1 and 2, his specials are not really the thing I want preserved about him, it's his A moves both on the ground and in the air, that make him more fun for me to play as than ness, so if Lucas is cut, the A moves are what I want to be custom, so I can get rid of Ness' stupid yo-yo, and slow-ass f-smash.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
At this point I'm 50/50 on Lucas. It's extremely hard to tell of his fate just because of all of the different points in both sides of the argument. I personally think that he will return. I say this with any semi-clone, If Toon Link can return, so can any other semi-clone.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
At this point I'm 50/50 on Lucas. It's extremely hard to tell of his fate just because of all of the different points in both sides of the argument. I personally think that he will return. I say this with any semi-clone, If Toon Link can return, so can any other semi-clone.
My theory on why toon link got in and captain falcon and ganondorf are safe (their reputations aside), is because they are all in quite different weight and speed classes from their counterparts. Whereas ness/Lucas , fox, falco and wolf are all pretty similar in those regards.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'd honestly only expect ROB. :x
I don't know, R.O.B. seems like a character that would be kept secret until the very end. Just a hunch. We've missed many obvious game releases/anniversaries before. I'm thinking the veteran reveals from now on will be random if anything... IF we even get any before release. Hopefully we do, might have to wait late next month or August for one though. And Wario, IC's and Meta Knight feel like they'd be the first to be revealed out of the ones that are left.
and hopefully Lucas to shush the people who think "likely to be cut" is a definite "cut"

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
As a Lucas main, other than the mechanics of pk thunder 1 and 2, his specials are not really the thing I want preserved about him, it's his A moves both on the ground and in the air, that make him more fun for me to play as than ness, so if Lucas is cut, the A moves are what I want to be custom, so I can get rid of Ness' stupid yo-yo, and slow-*** f-smash.
I agree, Lucas' up smash in particular is one of my favorite moves in the game. I'm just saying what I could see happening.

My theory on why toon link got in and captain falcon and ganondorf are safe (their reputations aside), is because they are all in quite different weight and speed classes from their counterparts. Whereas ness/Lucas , fox, falco and wolf are all pretty similar in those regards.
Wolf always felt much heavier to me then Fox/Falco, but I barely play as any SF characters.

Last edited:

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
So the Gematsu leak said they were having debate whether to keep Ness or Lucas. It said Lucas was likely getting cut but not certain. People are jumping to conclusions here.

So while extremely unlikely, how would you guys react if it was NESS that got the boot? :p

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
So the Gematsu leak said they were having debate whether to keep Ness or Lucas. It said Lucas was likely getting cut but not certain. People are jumping to conclusions here.

So while extremely unlikely, how would you guys react if it was NESS that got the boot? :p
Massive flaming riots.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
I mean could you imagine

Sakurai: Due to time constraints, I'm afraid we must cut Lucas from this game.
Fans: NO PLS SAMURAI WE WANT LUCAS
Sakurai: Ok, your voice is heard. *cuts Ness*
-internet proceeds to implode into dark matter-
Sakurai: *laughs*

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Keep either Ness or Lucas.

Down Smash is still the Yo-Yo.

The Down Smash Yo-Yo has an optional up input to turn it into the old Up Smash.

The new Up Smash is Lucas's Up Smash.

Mewtwo gest his old Down Smash back.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki

My reaction would be good riddance..:awesome:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Based on things that Sakurai has said in the Smash Roundtable and at last year's E3, it's almost obvious that Mewtwo will be DLC for the game. During the Roundtable a fan asked how did Greninja get in the game with literally no info on the character until so late in development and Sakurai said that all the characters on the roster were picked years ago.

Now of course I'm paraphrasing what he said but the most interesting thing he said came after that as later on he said that they are still considering other characters. That's an odd thing to say as the roster was picked years ago so that screams DLC. Now the interesting thing is what happened back at E3 2013. During the Pokemon X & Y roundtable last year we all remember one fan asking the Gamefreak devs if Mewtwo was gonna be in Smash. Of course Sakurai was there and yelled out that they were "considering" him.

I could be over thinking this but that leads me to believe that Mewtwo will probably be the first DLC character we get as Sakurai didn't know about Mewtwo's new form until after the initial roster was already completed. The interesting thing now is who the other DLC characters will be.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
What if Ness has Lucas' B moves as customizable move options? Would Lucas still be a lock? I know that Lucas is VERY different from Ness, but if Ness "took" his specials, would they replace them or give him even more variations on them?
Hmm, if Ness gets Lucas' Specials, it may change his gameplay a little depending if Lucas' moves retain their properties. I would prefer if Lucas receives new moves, if Ness gets his old moves.

Lucas' recovery makes him too gimpable (although I love PKT2). I always liked the idea of Lucas being more of a defensive character (so, maybe a offence and/or defence buff move, barrier move, etc.), along with some sort of rhythm-based, combo move, as a nod to Mother 3's battle system. I mean, it's not like there's a lack of move ideas for Lucas, if they want to give new moves (and he could also steal moves from other characters, ha!). Oh, and Zair would cool if it damages opponents, yeah?

There is only room for one single-sided down smash.
Lucas' Down Smash does damage both sides of him (I believe on the 3rd hit, but a small hitbox). Mewtwo's, on the other hand, does not. Heck, Lucario and Mewtwo share a more similar Fsmash versus Lucas and Mewtwo's Dsmash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There is only room for one single-sided down smash.
Shoot. Every single up smash that hits multiple times above must be changed. Looks like Zelda's up smash has gotta be changed to make room for Mewtwo. But wait, Zelda's up smash in the demo was the same as Brawl. And looks like energy blast in front forward smashes are a no go too. Only one of those will be necessary. But Lucario's forward smash is the same as Brawl so...

MEWTWO DECONFIRMED.

Sorry guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I don't know if this is off topic or not but Capcom is up for sale, meaning if Sony or Microsoft obtain the rights to the Megaman franchise this will be the first and last time the Blue Bomber makes an appearance in the Smash Bros franchise. However if Nintendo get's the rights to Megaman/Capcom it could drasticaly change the future of the Smash Bros. roster.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
It could change the future, but definitely not unless they buy it in the very near future. I'd say that if they buy any properties it could change things for Smash 5, but not likely 4.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I don't know if this is off topic or not but Capcom is up for sale, meaning if Sony or Microsoft obtain the rights to the Megaman franchise this will be the first and last time the Blue Bomber makes an appearance in the Smash Bros franchise. However if Nintendo get's the rights to Megaman/Capcom it could drasticaly change the future of the Smash Bros. roster.
Source?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Right, it shouldn't affect the roster of SSB4, but it could affect future installments, but since this thread is about SSB4's roster I wasn't sure if it was off topic.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
It's literally everywhere on the internet. Capcom shareholders announced it yesterday.
Ah. That's what I get for only looking on one site. Crossing my fingers Nintendo buys them, but let's face it, any company would be better management than Capcom themselves.

Last edited:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Ah. That's what I get for only looking on one site. Crossing my fingers Nintendo buys them, but let's face it, any company would be better management than Capcom themselves.
I agree but I'd be worried if Microsoft got them because it could end up like Rare. But I don't want to get to far off topic.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Based on things that Sakurai has said in the Smash Roundtable and at last year's E3, it's almost obvious that Mewtwo will be DLC for the game. During the Roundtable a fan asked how did Greninja get in the game with literally no info on the character until so late in development and Sakurai said that all the characters on the roster were picked years ago.

Now of course I'm paraphrasing what he said but the most interesting thing he said came after that as later on he said that they are still considering other characters. That's an odd thing to say as the roster was picked years ago so that screams DLC. Now the interesting thing is what happened back at E3 2013. During the Pokemon X & Y roundtable last year we all remember one fan asking the Gamefreak devs if Mewtwo was gonna be in Smash. Of course Sakurai was there and yelled out that they were "considering" him.

I could be over thinking this but that leads me to believe that Mewtwo will probably be the first DLC character we get as Sakurai didn't know about Mewtwo's new form until after the initial roster was already completed. The interesting thing now is who the other DLC characters will be.
I posted something similar to this on the last page based on an article I read-
At last year's E3, during the pokemon X & Y roundtable, a fan asked if Mewtwo would be in Smash 4. Sakurai responded from the audience, "We are thinking about it." Seeing how smash started development in March 2012 following KI:U, Sakurai at that time had already known for a year if Mewtwo was included or not. I doubt he would speak up like that if he was aware the answer would be no.
If the entire roster was decided in March 2012, I'm sure he gave Mewtwo a slot before the likes of Greninja(or, XY pokemon at the time).

Also, they aren't "considering other characters." The quote from his answer is "...characters that we’re still looking at." I don't believe this means brand new fighters, I think it means polishing pre-existing ones. Hence the possibility of Lucas being cut. Also, how could he not know about Mewtwo's mega, but did know about Lucario's/Charizard's? (of course they may have been added later in development but still) Mewtwo could very well be DLC if he is a last-minute cut like in brawl, but theres still hope.

Give this article a read. Maybe you can understand where I'm coming from a bit.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Please keep any discussion relating to Capcom's Shareholder "opening for buying" related to characters in Smash Bros 4. The topic holds some relevancy, if not very little to SSB4 (being Mega Man's possibly fate given a company like Sony or Microsoft was to purchase the company or the MM franchise as a whole). Just wanted to say that in advance before this gets off topic.

Though if Sony or Microsoft got a hold of Mega Man, I feel like it'd likely be too late at this point to remove him. The game is almost finalized and removing a character like that causes not only backlash for Nintendo but backlash for the owner as well for doing such a thing.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

If Alph can't replace Olimar as the better representative for Pikmin and Chrom can't replace Marth as the better FE representative, Ness probably won't be gone at all. I don't really care which Mother character they cut, but I really want Lucas to be in the roster because he has more merits than Ness.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I mean could you imagine

Sakurai: Due to time constraints, I'm afraid we must cut Lucas from this game.
Fans: NO PLS SAMURAI WE WANT LUCAS
Sakurai: Ok, your voice is heard. *cuts Ness*
-internet proceeds to implode into dark matter-
Sakurai: *laughs*
You forgot:
Fans: Go back to Melee

If Alph can't replace Olimar as the better representative for Pikmin and Chrom can't replace Marth as the better FE representative, Ness probably won't be gone at all. I don't really care which Mother character they cut, but I really want Lucas to be in the roster because he has more merits than Ness.
Olimar is the main character of the Pikmin series as a whole; Marth isn't the main character of Fire Emblem overall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom