• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Is the snark really necessary? Just correct him. Properly.
It wasn't and I apologize, my combination of seeing posts similar to that one and my terrible mood fueled that unnecessarily rude and sarcastic comment. With that said I would like to respond properly this time.

- If Mewtwo doesn't get in I doubt it will because of Greninja's inclusion. If anything it will be because of Puff's priority.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Hmm Well Lucario stole his B and Greninja stole his Up-B so they are related some what
Actually his up B is when he propels himself upward with hydro pump. It bares much more resemblance to Pikachu's up B.

Last edited:

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Ridley could be a potato for all I care is this really something to argue about

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Still? I know it used to be big, but I thought it has been slowing down in recent years? If not, then my bad entirely
Donkey Kong Country Returns sold over 6 million copies, making it the 20th best selling game on Wii. This is impressive when you consider the only games that outsold it on that platform were Smash Bros, Twilight Princess, and games with the words Wii, Dance, or Mario in the title.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Donkey Kong Country Returns sold over 6 million copies, making it the 20th best selling game on Wii. This is impressive when you consider the only games that outsold it on that platform were Smash Bros, Twilight Princess, and games with the words Wii, Dance, or Mario in the title.
To put those sales in prospective it sold better all the metroid prime games put together.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
To put those sales in prospective it sold better all the metroid prime games put together.
Well, not if you include Prime 1-3 PLUS the Trilogy, then Prime beats it by about 500k. (Point still stands, Donkey Kong is a monster.) The remake of Returns is also the 17th best selling 3DS game with 1.36 million, and remember, that's remake of a recent game. Kid Icarus Uprising, which resulted in us getting Palutena, sold 1.18 million in comparison.

Last edited:

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
So do you guys think we'll get a second Smash Direct soon?
What I think would be nice is to get one after the release of the 3DS version, detailing the new features in the Wii U version, and maybe announcing DLC and explaining how it will work between the 2. It would hopefully create more hype for people only planning on getting the 3DS version. Maybe sell some systems.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's kind of funny. Out of the three remaining Gematsu characters, Shulk is the one I'm least hyped about. Most people seem to feel the opposite way. :laugh:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Greninja's Up B is not Mewtwo's by any means.
Ironically Lucas shares as many moves with Mewtwo as Lucario does.

Greninja doesn't hurt Mewtwo's chances very much. Mewtwo is still a veteran, albeit a special case. He was low priority but he was never intended to be cut. Sakurai considers Brawl a 39 character roster. This includes Sheik, ZSS, Charizard, Ivysaur, and. Squirtle. That means that Sakurai thinks of Pokemon in Brawl as having 6 characters.

Sakurai mentioned that Greninja was added as a result of an empty Pokemon slot. If there was an empty slot and Mewtwo wasn't already planned, I guarantee that the slot would go to Mewtwo. But Sakurai opted to fill this with Greninja. This, to me, means that Mewtwo and Jigglypuff were intended to be included already.

Mewtwo has gargantuan popularity, as well. He's the number one most requested character in the world and Sakurai even teased at his inclusion. If he isn't added it's a real **** move on Sakurai's part.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Well, not if you include Prime 1-3 PLUS the Trilogy, then Prime beats it by about 500k. (Point still stands, Donkey Kong is a monster.) The remake of Returns is also the 17th best selling 3DS game with 1.36 million, and remember, that's remake of a recent game. Kid Icarus Uprising, which resulted in us getting Palutena, sold 1.18 million in comparison.
i just went the 3 games by themselves i'm not sure how well Hunters sold. The difference with uprising is Number one Sakurai made and number 2 it was more of a revival so it was never gonna beat a franchise like DK but of course ur points do stand.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hey, I LOVE Uprising and was super happy with Palutena, I was just pointing out that DKC is a bigger (and still current) franchise.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Basically, if Lucas isn't in the game initially, he's a lock for DLC. In my opinion anyway. He's a no brainer.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Hey, I LOVE Uprising and was super happy with Palutena, I was just pointing out that DKC is a bigger (and still current) franchise.
Dk will always be Nintendo's Forth biggest franchise after Mario , Pokemon and Zelda and i guess after DK would be Kirby. 3 reps for DK just makes sense but i guess we will have to wait and see Sakurais decisions.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy

Here's my guess at a roster. I call it a "guess" and not a "prediction" because there is no predicting Sakurai. I figured semiclones would make good DLC (with Toad also snagging a DLC spot for giggles). Thoughts? I'm not personally keen on DLC (and with how much it's been stressed that both versions will have identical rosters, I just don't see it happening), and if there are no downloadable characters, then swap Falco with Ridley, Isaac, or Dixie.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Basically, if Lucas isn't in the game initially, he's a lock for DLC. In my opinion anyway. He's a no brainer.
What if Ness has Lucas' B moves as customizable move options? Would Lucas still be a lock? I know that Lucas is VERY different from Ness, but if Ness "took" his specials, would they replace them or give him even more variations on them?

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
What if Ness has Lucas' B moves as customizable move options? Would Lucas still be a lock? I know that Lucas is VERY different from Ness, but if Ness "took" his specials, would they replace them or give him even more variations on them?
I could see that happening. Same with the spacies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The thing is that Lucas was likely planned anyway. Cuts weren't initially planned if we take Sakurai seriously here. That in itself seems to infer that Lucas, Squirtle and Ivysaur were planned but cut for varying reasons.

Here's my guess at a roster. I call it a "guess" and not a "prediction" because there is no predicting Sakurai. I figured semiclones would make good DLC (with Toad also snagging a DLC spot for giggles). Thoughts? I'm not personally keen on DLC (and with how much it's been stressed that both versions will have identical rosters, I just don't see it happening), and if there are no downloadable characters, then swap Falco with Ridley, Isaac, or Dixie.
I would add Falco back. It's incredibly unlikely at this point for him to be a cut from the roster. Dixie Kong seems like a fairly good fit for DLC.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
What if they did specialization to Ness's specials to keep his own and get Lucas' make PK freeze a variation on fash or fire (I'm thinking PM here), properties of down b and PJ thunder are obvious, and same with vbrawl's pk fire. Have they said wether or not non-specals are customizable?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
A good amount of the variations semi-clones have are in their non-special attacks.

Falco and Lucas have specials similar to Fox and Ness, but their other attacks are considerably more different.

Cutting them because of customization seems like a poor idea.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
My only worry is if the Sal leak is correct, they maybe merging there playstyles and just slapping the correct finish on whom ever they want to include. I'm personally a big fan of them "splitting" the specials between Ness and Lucas. Ness can have teleport, Lucas can keep lightning. Ness can Keep fire, Lucas can get something else for his side special. Things like that.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I actually forgot that Lucas' special attack variations could be used by Ness as customizables.Shoot, that kinda hurts his case. Hopefully, he can get new specials. Falco is put in a weird spot, too, then.

Hopefully, P K Teleport, P K Ground, and Hypnosis can be split among Ness and Lucas so they don't share specials. That's my ideal. Personally, I'd give P K Teleport (Up B) and Hypnosis (Down B) to Ness, and P K Ground (Side B) to Lucas.

Not sure what would be done with Falco.

Last edited:

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
A good amount of the variations semi-clones have are in their non-special attacks.

Falco and Lucas have specials similar to Fox and Ness, but their other attacks are considerably more different.

I understand that, I don't consider Wolf a clone at all and I barely consider Lucas a clone (due to his 'A' moves, throws, and basic playstyle) but I could easily see them giving Ness his specials as customizable moves.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
I might be wrong, but the customizations won't be playable online or story modes right? Just like the mii can't.

And like I said I could be wrong about this

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
It's kind of funny. Out of the three remaining Gematsu characters, Shulk is the one I'm least hyped about. Most people seem to feel the opposite way. :laugh:
I prefer Shulk and Chorus Men over Chrom. But I most excited to see Chrom's moveset just to see what Sakurai decided to do with it.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422

As Jones said, Lucas would be a strong candidate for DLC if he were cut. And I wouldn't actually mind if Lucas' specials were altered to be a bit more reflective of his abilities in Mother 3 even though both him and Ness were fairly different in Brawl, and even more so in PM.

Examples could be:

PK Love. Shoots out a heart-shaped projectile in front of Lucas, if the attack connects the opponent is in a 'Charmed' state in that the opponent loses control of their character as they walk slowly towards Lucas. This voluntarily places the enemy in range of his ranged-grab and Smash attacks.

PK Shield + PK Counter. Lucas gains a temporary shield that blocks the next incoming attack, if the shield is popped by an attack Lucas can activate the ability again to perform a ranged counter attack that is equal to 1.5x the damage of the original attack he shielded.

Offense Up. Similar to his standard neutral in Project M. Charging this allows Lucas' Smash attacks to become supercharged. I'm a huge fan of Lucas and Ness in PM because of this single mechanic for Lucas as it made both characters seem much more diversified and unique than in Brawl.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer

Honestly, I'd see former clones returning because Sakurai can take the opportunity to "de-clone" them like they did with Luigi.

Lucas, Ganondorf, Falco, Wolf included.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Using the article I linked above, this could give us a few assumptions.

1: Snake
Kojima said he was not aware if Snake was in the game. This statement was after development started. Since I would assume Kojima would need to be asked for permission, that means Snake will not being returning. Or at least I would say that if Kojima wasn't a massive troll. I don't see snake returing, but it's not impossible.

2: Mewtwo
At last year's E3, during the pokemon X & Y roundtable, a fan asked if Mewtwo would be in Smash 4. Sakurai responded from the audience, "We are thinking about it." Seeing how smash started development in March 2012 following KI:U, Sakurai at that time had already known for a year if Mewtwo was included or not. I doubt he would speak up like that if he was aware the answer would be no.

3: Lucas
Just elaborating on Sal's leak, I quote “All of the characters you see here and pretty much all of the characters that we’re still looking at have… were all decided right at the very beginning of development." This means while the roster was decided, they are still polishing some characters. This means Lucas just may be the one they chose to cut mid-development so they can dedicate more time to debugging, seeing as the release is inching closer and closer.

Any other characters you think could be effected by this?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't think Luigi was changed much from his Brawl self. He only got his flutter jump and his Final Smash changed (which was already different from Mario's.)

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I don't think Luigi was changed much from his Brawl self. He only got his flutter jump and his Final Smash changed (which was already different from Mario's.)
It still goes a long way towards making him a different character. Brawl was the major game changer. I can already see a lot of fan favorites like G-Dorf and Falco being "late reveals" due to big changes in their moveset or properties, like Yoshi (since they pretty much had to make a new model for Yoshi instead of being able to start with the Brawl assets or heavily edit the skeleton).

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
They certainly didn't re-create an entirely new model from scratch for Yoshi, they have probably just tweaked the model's skeleton and changed most of the animations' starting frames to match the new posture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom