• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
I don't see any more newcomers. So let's talk DLC.

Villain Tier
• Mewtwo (Pokemon) 39
• King K Rool (Donkey Kong Country) 31
• Ridley (Metroid) 31

High Tier
• Isaac (Golden Sun) 26
• Sceptile (Pokemon) 21
• Snake (Metal Gear) 20

Mid Tier
• Krystal (Star Fox) 19
• Robin (Fire Emblem) 18
• Wonder Red (Wonderful 101 ) 18
• Lucas (Mother) 16
• Bowser Junior (Super Mario) 15
• Skull Kid / Majora (Majora's Mask) 14
• Ghirahim (Skyward Sword) 12
• Hades (Uprising) 12
• Ray MK (Custom Robo) 12
• Roy (Fire Emblem) 11
• Simon Belmont (Castlevania) 11
• Geno (Super Mario RPG) 11
• Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country) 10
• Bayonetta 10

Low Tier
• Squirtle (Pokemon) 9
• Anna (Fire Emblem) 9
• Bomberman 9
• Waluigi (Super Mario Spin) 8
• Porky (Mother) 8
• Medusa (Kid Icarus) 8
• Takamaru (Murasame Castle) 8
• Professor Layton 8
• Toad (Super Mario) 7
• Ivysaur (Pokemon) 7
• Tetra (Wind Waker) 6
• Zoroark (Pokemon) 6
• Blaziken (Pokemon) 6
• Lucina (Awakening) 6
• Andy (Advanced Wars) 6

Everyone ELSE
• Doctor Mario (Super Mario) 5
• Slippy (Star Fox) 5
• Lyn (Fire Emblem) 5
• Masked Man (Mother) 5
• Dillon (Rolling Western) 5
• Saki (Sin & Punishment) 5
• Black Mage (Final Fantasy) 5
• Tingle (Legend Of Zelda 4
• Young Link (Legend Of Zelda) 4
• Toon Zelda (The Legend Of Zelda) 4
• Bandanna Dee (Kirby) 4
• Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes) 4
• Captain Syrup (Wario Land) 3
• Cranky Kong (Donkey Kong Country) 3
• Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) 3
• Mach Rider 3
• Ryu (Street Fighter) 3
• King Boo (Luigi's Mansion) 2
• Ashley (WarioWare) 2
• Cia (Hyrule Warriors) 2
• Impa (The Legend Of Zelda) 2
• Pichu (Pokemon) 2
• Dark Samus (Metroid) 2
• Black Shadow (F-Zero) 2
• Tharja (Awakening) 2
• Dunban (Xenoblade) 2
• Balloon Fighter 2
• Starfy (The Legendary Starfy) 2
• Chibi Robo 2
• Prince Fluff (Kirby's Epic Yarn) 1
• Dark Pit (Uprising) 1
• Fiora (Xenoblade) 1
• Zael (The Last Story) 1
• Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei) 1
• Nightmare (Soul Caliber) 1
• Kamek (Yoshi's Island) 0
• Meowth (Pokemon) 0
• Samurai Goroh (F-Zero) 0
• Captan Trio (Pikmin III) 0
• King HIppo (Punch Out!!!) 0

Got some votes, who do you want to see? Who do you expect?
Honestly, I really want to see Chibi-Robo. There is just so much potential to be had with a possible moveset for him. Extremely underrated character IMO.

But yeah, the people in the Villain and High tiers is what I expect.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I expect 4 characters, with Mewtwo being one of them. King K Rool, Sceptile, Dixie, Tingle, Ridley, and Takamaru are some of the newcomers I could see being added, and of course I think Snake, Lucas and even Roy have a shot at returning. I would say Krystal, Isaac, and Bandanna Dee are going to fall short though.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Bandanna Dee had a bigger following after SSB4 was first revealed.
Does anyone look at Chronobound's Japan popularity thread anymore?

Bandana Dee was more popular than most in Japan.
He was around B Tier popularity, behind only the expected popular choices (barring Ridley and Mac, because Japan).

Not that I think he's going to be in the game, but he has had a popular following since his appearance in RTDL.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Mewtwo and other cut veterans will probably be DLC, but I don't see any newcomers happening.
If Snake's not in the game at launch, it's nearly impossible that he'd be in as DLC.

DLC will likely be Nintendo characters only because of difficult contracting. All these contracts for just one small character that's completely optional sounds like a weird deal.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Samurais and ninjas are different, besides it's probably the revival potential of the franchise that will get Takamaru in.
Takamaru would have such a great rivarly/contrast with some characters that it's going to be a huge shame if he doesn't make it in.

Takamaru vs. Greninja; Samurai vs. Ninja
Takamaru vs. Little mac; East vs. West
Takamaru vs. Link; Nazo and LotZ are sister games like Metroid and Kid Icarus.

He would also complete the 1986 quartet a.k.a the Famicom Four.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If Snake's not in the game at launch, it's nearly impossible that he'd be in as DLC.

DLC will likely be Nintendo characters only because of difficult contracting. All these contracts for just one small character that's completely optional sounds like a weird deal.
Mercedes Benz in Mario Kart, though

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

You're probably right, and after him not appearing at E3 as playable, I feel confident that Snake is done for.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Mercedes Benz in Mario Kart, though
A car is much different than a video game character. And that was also completely free DLC.

I doubt that the Smash DLC will all be free because Nintendo can make a massive profit.

You're probably right, and after him not appearing at E3 as playable, I feel confident that Snake is done for.
There's still August.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I expect 4 characters, with Mewtwo being one of them. King K Rool, Sceptile, Dixie, Tingle, Ridley, and Takamaru are some of the newcomers I could see being added, and of course I think Snake, Lucas and even Roy have a shot at returning. I would say Krystal, Isaac, and Bandanna Dee are going to fall short though.
Tingle's an Assist Trophy. And Isaac I feel has a much better shot than Sceptile and Roy.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
If you're going by the Salromano leak you should remove either Ness or Lucas.
And some removals I would consider:
- One of the DK newcomers.
- Isaac
- Chibi Robo
No other problem with the roster after that though.
So something along the lines of this then?
reasonable.png

(just moved some stuff around so it doesn't look as nice as the first 2)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Tingle's an Assist Trophy. And Isaac I feel has a much better shot than Sceptile and Roy.
Roy at least can be thrown in as a yucky rehash, and Sceptile is now every bit as relevent as Greninja. Tingle being an assist trophy is irrelevant. That can change. Isaac is old, and Golden Sun is over.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Roy at least can be thrown in as a yucky rehash, and Sceptile is now every bit as relevent as Greninja. Tingle being an assist trophy is irrelevant. That can change. Isaac is old, and Golden Sun is over.
The last game was literally only a few years ago. Like, 3 or 4. And how is Tingle being deconfirmed not mean he can't be a character?

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I've never in my entire life hoped more that a prediction be wrong. I'm praying that you all are wrong about a 48 character roster. I don't really understand why you think that's all we'll get. I promise you that Sakurai wouldn't let something like screen size limit his creativity, but apparently my opinions are in the minority here.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I've never in my entire life hoped more that a prediction be wrong. I'm praying that you all are wrong about a 48 character roster. I don't really understand why you think that's all we'll get. I promise you that Sakurai wouldn't let something like screen size limit his creativity, but apparently my opinions are in the minority here.
Screen size limit has nothing to do with it.

48 is a solid number, and Sakurai said not to expect as many newcomers as in the past anyway.

Quality over quantity, that's the motto.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
You're kidding me right? Roy is one of the most popular requests and with him being a Brawl cut, it doesn't make much sense to not include him. Sceptile I can debate on, but having a grass Pokemon to complete the typing would be nice. Now Golden Sun on the other hand...you're kidding me right? There was a game just out a few years ago? How exactly is it "over"?

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Screen size limit has nothing to do with it.

48 is a solid number, and Sakurai said not to expect as many newcomers as in the past anyway.

Quality over quantity, that's the motto.
Did he actually say that? What exactly did he say in regards to newcomers because 12 seems a little low to me.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Roy and Chrom are like two peas in a pod.
How dare you compare Roy to Chrom! They're nothing alike! NOTHING!

Roy's a redhead, and his name starts with an "R". Chrom has blue hair, and his name starts with a "C". SEE? Big difference.

In all seriousness, I suppose they both have some similarities in regards to popularity and speculation, however, in the end, Chrom and Roy both seem like two different beasts to me, if you get what I'm saying.

I assume that's what you're referring to, right? I mean, from their source games they're both different characters with unique weapons, as with many FE Lords.

Last edited:

Espio264

Smash Ace
Let us all take a moment to honor Ivysaur, the first, best and only quadrupedal Smash Brother.

And the very thought of Sceptile is something that lives only on these boards and seems to have no merit in the actual scheme of things. If Ivysaur doesn't return, then our grass type Pokemon will be Megaman. End of story.

BlindFox

Smash Journeyman
I've been quite "out of touch" these last three weeks... So if someone could be kind enough to explain to me what's this leak thing (The one that predicted Pac-man I believe that you all have been talking about recently) because I just can't find the source or anything like that.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913

Isaac Clarke in Playstation All-Stars. Scorpion in Injsutice. Freakin' Cole MacGrath in SFxT. It's not impossible.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Did he actually say that? What exactly did he say in regards to newcomers because 12 seems a little low to me.
Sakurai said that we've "already reached what's possible" or something like that, saying that "it doesn't matter whether it's 50 characters", more that the characters added are worthwhile and unique additions.

He mentioned not to expect as many newcomers as in the past, I just forget exactly when he said that.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Isaac Clarke in Playstation All-Stars. Scorpion in Injsutice. Freakin' Cole MacGrath in SFxT. It's not impossible.
You have a good point, perhaps there is hope that he can be a DLC character. :estatic:

Sakurai said that we've "already reached what's possible" or something like that, saying that "it doesn't matter whether it's 50 characters", more that the characters added are worthwhile and unique additions.

He mentioned not to expect as many newcomers as in the past, I just forget exactly when he said that.
Then he says a change of direction is what is needed for the newcomer selection. There can still be more newcomers, Sakurai is just going out his feasibility point and allowing characters from unusual genres as playable or maybe focusing on new series.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913

You know why you don't know?

Because it doesn't exist.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You know why you don't know?

Because it doesn't exist.
Well excuse me princess.

All I'm saying is set your expectations low.
Sakurai has mentioned that roster size is not a priority, and adding quality newcomers seems to be more important this time around (instead of adding filler clones like Melee, for example).

Xenorange

Smash Lord

Okay as long as he didn't say "I'm only making twelve newcomers noobs" then I think there will be more.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Fire Emblem getting more characters than DK is a downright dirty trick.
One series has a universal main character across all games, the other series is full of games that are independent from each other with their own set of characters. Makes sense you'd wanna represent the latter with the most popular and important main characters to rep their own games and not just the whole series, no?

Last edited:

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
I've been quite "out of touch" these last three weeks... So if someone could be kind enough to explain to me what's this leak thing (The one that predicted Pac-man I believe that you all have been talking about recently) because I just can't find the source or anything like that.

Thank you.
Well this leak has been around since E3 2013 so... Check the Gematsu Leak thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom