• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I gotta say, I really don't like the similar 47 character roster I'm seeing. Add at least a little diversity, people! I don't think it would be just those characters.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I gotta say, I really don't like the similar 47 character roster I'm seeing. Add at least a little diversity, people! I don't think it would be just those characters.
Considering all the evidence, I'd say we have more newcomers coming than what the Gematsu Leak is saying we'll get. Chances are, Sakurai learned from his mistakes and intends to save them for us to find ourselves and get hype over.

Just too bad we'll be sitting on the internet learning about it while the Japanese play it first, but hey, c'est la vie.

I'm so tired of all the people who think those are the only newcomers... Face palm
You're preaching to the choir, brother.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Personally i like the chorus Men Trio idea better but people will most likely think i'm being biased with that but Zoroark is a Pokeball and Brittany is a trophy so that idea just flew out the window XC

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Hey guys. I've been snooping around the boards for a while now and I just got around to making an actual account. I like searching around the forums to see exactly what characters are the most requested. I've always wondered if there was a roster that would please everyone, and the answer to that is probably no, but I made an attempt at one.

I took the demo CSS and tweaked around a bit and came up with this:
roster.png

I wouldn't call it a prediction roster, but more of a "reasonable dream" roster. I'm sure this is similar to a lot of other rosters as well, but with release coming so close there isn't much variety to choose from.

I basically took confirmed+brawl(-snake, squirtle, ivysaur, lucas)+gematsu like most roster predictions are made.

Obviously the big 3 are K Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo, so I threw them in as well. Isaac has a big fan base as well, Takamaru is the most expected retro, Chibi-Robo and Bandana Dee are just personal faves. :b:

The roster comes out to 55 characters+random, which isn't an insane amount. It also works well in the fact it could be 4x14 for Wii U and 7x8 for 3DS.

Is there character you want that is not on here, wasted by a "terrible choice"? Of course. Is the roster severely disappointing to you? Hopefully not. That was my goal, to please. Sadly this roster is very unlikely, but still not out of the question.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread I'm posting in. I would assume talking about rosters is considered character discussion.

Discuss as you please.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We've been discussing this new leak lately, this could be a pretty legitimate list, and it might affect the newcomers and veterans that are in the game.
-List doesn't have PictoChat.
BUT NINTENDO, PORTABLE SMASH BROTHERS! IF THERE'S ANY GAME TO BRING BACK PICTOCHAT, IT'S THIS ONE!

-stg.yoshicloud
Randall is his own stage now?

-stg.yoster/dx
THE BANJO RETURNS!!

-stg.kraid/dx
I'll be so disappointed if this is false. I love Brinstar Depths.

-stg.fourside/dx
Because I love you (the leak)

-stg.osohe
Lucas confirmed.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
@ EbonyRubberWolf EbonyRubberWolf You know, there's a lot of parts I could care less for, but you have Leon on there as your F-Zero character. 14/10

(Not a serious ranking but that's an absolutely hilarious suggestion in a good way)
With Gematsu all but solidified, as well as the CSS issue on the 3DS, then 47 just seems to make sense if you want to squeeze everything on the single screen. The characters fall into line easily, and everything looks supported. Chorus Men being quasi-confirmed via Sneaky Spirit pretty much seals the deal. I'm honestly floored there's still resistance to it. I understand the revulsion, I hate Chrom and Shulk as hard as anyone else(Krystal and Anthony'd work better in my opinion, but ~*animu suooards!*~ seem to run Smash nowadays), but they're easy and direct to implement. Chrom follows the pattern of FE, Shulk is a carrot to draw people to the Xenoblade series.

Side note, while I'd like him, Leon will never happen. I will be dust in the grave before he makes a playable Smash appearance.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Completely unrelated, CSS had better have Shulk to the right of Fire Emblem, and to the left of EarthBound/Mother. It's just too easy a nod to pass up. (Japan only RPGs that were later localized to some extent.)

Last edited by a moderator:

domokl

Smash Lord
With Gematsu all but solidified, as well as the CSS issue on the 3DS, then 47 just seems to make sense if you want to squeeze everything on the single screen. The characters fall into line easily, and everything looks supported. Chorus Men being quasi-confirmed via Sneaky Spirit pretty much seals the deal. I'm honestly floored there's still resistance to it. I understand the revulsion, I hate Chrom and Shulk as hard as anyone else(Krystal and Anthony'd work better in my opinion, but ~*animu suooards!*~ seem to run Smash nowadays), but they're easy and direct to implement. Chrom follows the pattern of FE, Shulk is a carrot to draw people to the Xenoblade series.

Side note, while I'd like him, Leon will never happen. I will be dust in the grave before he makes a playable Smash appearance.
You can scroll the 3ds screen and trying to prove the css size is idiotic just saying. And sal didn't leak rosalina did he?

D

Deleted member

And sal didn't leak rosalina did he?
I think he didn't, because he didn't need to. First leak was strictly pertaining to E3 info. (That I think was outdated, as Mac, Mii, and Pac were revealed later) Second leak was before the Smash Direct. Rosalina was already revealed by then. There would be no need to leak an already confirmed character except to "add credibility," where in reality, adding Rosalina post reveal would have been quite suspicious. I get the feeling Sal's tipper knew about Rosalina, but didn't leak her because she was never planned to be revealed at E3 2013, and she was already confirmed before the Smash Direct.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Hey guys. I've been snooping around the boards for a while now and I just got around to making an actual account. I like searching around the forums to see exactly what characters are the most requested. I've always wondered if there was a roster that would please everyone, and the answer to that is probably no, but I made an attempt at one.

I took the demo CSS and tweaked around a bit and came up with this:View attachment 16377

I wouldn't call it a prediction roster, but more of a "reasonable dream" roster. I'm sure this is similar to a lot of other rosters as well, but with release coming so close there isn't much variety to choose from.

I basically took confirmed+brawl(-snake, squirtle, ivysaur, lucas)+gematsu like most roster predictions are made.

Obviously the big 3 are K Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo, so I threw them in as well. Isaac has a big fan base as well, Takamaru is the most expected retro, Chibi-Robo and Bandana Dee are just personal faves. :b:

The roster comes out to 55 characters+random, which isn't an insane amount. It also works well in the fact it could be 4x14 for Wii U and 7x8 for 3DS.

Is there character you want that is not on here, wasted by a "terrible choice"? Of course. Is the roster severely disappointing to you? Hopefully not. That was my goal, to please. Sadly this roster is very unlikely, but still not out of the question.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread I'm posting in. I would assume talking about rosters is considered character discussion.

Discuss as you please.
Welcome to the forums! I like your roster! If only you had Lucas....

Though it's a little bit on the large side. If you had to take out 2 or 3, who would it be?

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
You can scroll the 3ds screen and trying to prove the css size is idiotic just saying. And sal didn't leak rosalina did he?
Did CSS scroll on the demo? Scrolling character screens work a lot worse than people think and have several drawbacks I've covered in an earlier post. As far as the lack of a Rosalina leak, there's any number of reasons why she wasn't included in the leaks. The leaker may not have known. The leaker may not have thought it prudent to divulge that information. The leaker may not have access to the full roster. The leaker may just be leaking certain picks so as not to compromise their position and/or identity. I can't speak to it. That said, the leak is 8/11. With the Sneaky Spirit, as far as I'm concerned, it's 9 out of 11. Chrom's basically an autopilot add for FE, and Shulk's on his heels. The guy hasn't made it a habit to be wrong, and until he's out-and-out incorrect on something, it's worth lending him the benefit of the doubt.

I do not like the characters on the leak either. But to pretend there's nothing behind it is foolish, and pipedreaming for favorites now is silly. It's simple math. 48 spots fits nicely on the 3DS screen. Remember, text is going into those squares too and the real estate needs to be manageable(boring UI stuff, but necessary). It also coincides with Sakurai's philosophy on ultra-large rosters. With three months left to go before the Japanese release, it's not unthinkable that this is it.

Last edited:

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Welcome to the forums! I like your roster! If only you had Lucas....

Though it's a little bit on the large side. If you had to take out 2 or 3, who would it be?
Thanks! I'm a Lucas fan, but I'm also leaning towards the gematsu leak being true. You never know.

The extra "dream" characters I would cut would be Bandana Dee, Takamaru, and then K Rool/Dixie and Isaac/Chibi. Those were the ones I just added on last minute to the actual 51 character prediction roster I had.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Thanks! I'm a Lucas fan, but I'm also leaning towards the gematsu leak being true. You never know.

The extra "dream" characters I would cut would be Bandana Dee, Takamaru, and then K Rool/Dixie and Isaac/Chibi. Those were the ones I just added on last minute to the actual 51 character prediction roster I had.
I just think it's a little weird. I mean, how could they still be deciding on who to cut?

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I just think it's a little weird. I mean, how could they still be deciding on who to cut?
Time restrictions. After all, the game's already been delayed once on 3DS. They are behind schedule, like Sakurai feared, and characters may get the DLC treatment instead of being in the final game.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

I took the demo CSS and tweaked around a bit and came up with this:View attachment 16377

Discuss as you please.
Yeah, that's pretty much perfect. Except for no Lucas.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Time restrictions. After all, the game's already been delayed once on 3DS. They are behind schedule, like Sakurai feared, and characters may get the DLC treatment instead of being in the final game.
I don't know about it being delayed. The game is still releasing in September in Japan, which falls under Summer.

Sakurai's statement about it being released in summer is not wrong. The translation, however, was.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
True. It's just the way they worded it, it sounded weird. Yes, of course, they can just cut out Lucas and put him in DLC.

Okay, I just read it again, it makes more sense. I still can't see it happen.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

The lack of Lucas is disturbing...

Whoa, hold on a second. When did we get Shulk haters?

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
But they're in the debugging process. I'd imagine something major like which characters are in the game would have to be decided at that point. Pretty much everything should be finished.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Wait, which stage in that list was the Star Fox stage? I have been having a debate with my friend and I want to see if I called it this time. I didn't look at the rest because spoilers.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wait, which stage in that list was the Star Fox stage? I have been having a debate with my friend and I want to see if I called it this time. I didn't look at the rest because spoilers.
Well, I'm gonna spoil it just in case.
Zoness

Won't lie, I want it because it's my favorite planet in the whole series lol.

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
@ Mega Bidoof Mega Bidoof Tingle is a Assist Dixe is not paired with Dixie and we have Lip's stick as a item again so we could change this roster but i think its safe and reasonable roster

Better then having a Creepy Moon Playable...

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
So, people want Lucas in pretty badly. I was going by the gematsu leak, but I suppose the point of my roster was to please. So here
lucas.png

Cut Bandana Dee, moved Takamaru, added Lucas.

D

Deleted member

I see history repeating itself. The wailing and doom-and-gloom that surrounded the 35-character leak is beginning to set itself upon this one(and I constantly read those older threads because hey, it's kinda funny I'll admit to see such gnashing of teeth). "There's gotta be more newcomers!" "We're not sure that's all of them!" "What about <insert character here>? Sakurai'd be dumb to leave them out!"

Then the Mewtwo cut happened. Then R.O.B. happened(and I like him!). People refused right up to the bitter end to think that, hey, this is actually legit and true. I even saw right up until the last day discussions for Isaac and Mewtwo. No Krystal, no Mewtwo, no Ridley, no Sora(yeah, someone actually campaigned for Sora of all people). People straight-hated R.O.B.(I particularly loved the hatethreads in his subforum).

So, the topic of history repeating brings me back here. People are rationalizing an unrealistic roster count(47+Random works for a uniform UI across 3DS and WiiU. 51+random doesn't, as the 3DS CSS will look funky) just to try and think to themselves that their favorite will be getting in, and absolutely slamming those that did get in for getting in(WFT earlier, Miis now, Chorus Men/Chrom later).

47 characters + Random square works because it can be cleanly divided into rectangles based on the screen of the 3DS and the HD screens of the WiiU. 52 doesn't really divide all that easily(unless you divide it into four rows, which it does, to 13 character per row. But the 3DS likely can't handle that kind of CSS and maintain any kind of readability, so it'd have to be more square-ish to compensate). 48 total squares made an easy division of 6 rows of eight, which the 3DS would likely handle far more easily. A scrolling CSS is unacceptable, simply put. It can confuse newcomers to the game, looks quite ugly, compromises the visual of a vast roster, and could also be a pain to navigate depending on what character you want. Therefore, I'll put to imagery what I set into words.

View attachment 16368

(SSB Roster Maker doesn't support more than 10 rows, it seems, so the second row where Mario starts is where the 3DS CSS starts. Sorry for any confusion!)

So, a more block-ish format will allow for an easier time with the 3DS rendering all of the character options at once. 47 + Random makes sense in this regard. I really think this is the final roster we're looking at. I don't think they'll be perfect squares as the SSB Roster Maker puts them in, so it'll stretch as appropriate to fit well on the 3DS's top screen(which, according to the demo, is where the CSS will be).

Wait, Mii Fighters can't go online, so won't their square disappear and render your whole dumb theory even dumber?

I believe that when you go Online vs Anyone, the Mii square will be dimmed, but not removed, to showcase that they're not playable. Or, there could be another solution that would allow Miis online but disallow customizations to either body or special moves, but I cannot speak to that.

Why're they placed where they are?

I tried to place them in a manner that made sense theme-wise. Really, that's the most flexible part of my CSS submission, so I'd not look into it all too much.

Waitasec! You've got seven characters over there that aren't sorted, and none confirmed by Gematsu. Do you have a heart after all?!

That's a wishlist of sorts. I never really got to post it, but they're my impossible dreams.

Jeff: The only non-PSI user from Earthbound, he could use Bottle Rockets and various popguns to do battle. That said, he's DOA because if Ness and Lucas are having a tug-of-war to stay in Smash, this kid's chances are all but zero.
Leon: A non-Black Shadow/Blood Falcon/Samurai Goroh F-Zero suggestion. Could use soccer techniques and maybe the occasional claw attack to do battle. LOL if you think F-Zero is getting a second rep though. Massive LOL.
Anthony Higgs: A heavy-artillery user could be an interesting fit, and combined with a freeze pistol, he could be a zoning nightmare. Metroid won't see another rep this iteration though, and he's still gotta get more popular, despite the memes.
Xerneas: Quadruped, new type, deer. Add moon lasers, Geomancy self-buff, Horn Leech for a self-heal(maybe between 2-5% per hit), and I think he learns Bounce or something(maybe reflavor Megahorn). Unfortunately, he's a Pokeball. DOA.
Krystal: A melee-oriented staff user that might take a few tools out of Star Fox's arsenal to up her game and reflect her stradding between worlds. Maybe even summon Prince Tricky or her pterodactyl. Palutena kills her chances though, sadly.
Sabrewulf: Always been a favorite of mine, and a member of the massive push to establish the N64's 'killer fighting game'. No chance in hell though, given that Rare wouldn't accept Nintendo's water if they were dying of thirst in the desert.
Captain N: Admit it, you'd be hyped out of your mind if this kid got in. The Zapper, the Pause Button Final Smash, the Power Glove, he could be to Nintendo peripherals what Pac-Man is to Namco games. No one knows of him in Japan, though.
I know you weren't trying to sort anything, but I attempted to sort your roster.

Mac is next to DK characters because Punch Out Wii.
Villager is next to Mac because Punch Out is available in Animal Crossing.
Shulk is between Chrom and Ness because Japan only RPGs that were localized.

On 3DS Roster, Game & Watch is next to Wario because Game & Wario, and Mario characters cameo in Game & Watch Gallery.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Did CSS scroll on the demo? Scrolling character screens work a lot worse than people think and have several drawbacks I've covered in an earlier post. As far as the lack of a Rosalina leak, there's any number of reasons why she wasn't included in the leaks. The leaker may not have known. The leaker may not have thought it prudent to divulge that information. The leaker may not have access to the full roster. The leaker may just be leaking certain picks so as not to compromise their position and/or identity. I can't speak to it. That said, the leak is 8/11. With the Sneaky Spirit, as far as I'm concerned, it's 9 out of 11. Chrom's basically an autopilot add for FE, and Shulk's on his heels. The guy hasn't made it a habit to be wrong, and until he's out-and-out incorrect on something, it's worth lending him the benefit of the doubt.

I do not like the characters on the leak either. But to pretend there's nothing behind it is foolish, and pipedreaming for favorites now is silly. It's simple math. 48 spots fits nicely on the 3DS screen. Remember, text is going into those squares too and the real estate needs to be manageable(boring UI stuff, but necessary). It also coincides with Sakurai's philosophy on ultra-large rosters. With three months left to go before the Japanese release, it's not unthinkable that this is it.
I don't think Sakurai cares about what fits on the Character selection screen, he'll put however many characters on that screen as he deems necessary.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Not related but I've been struggling getting the SSB roster Maker every time I download it and double click the file it goes to Thank you for doing this Wizip! it says Register Copy and stuff I know its not related but can someone help?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Keep in mind that Sal leaked 'X/Y Pokemon" and 3 characters that were ultimately revealed later, not at E3 2013.
The info is likely outdated. He could be getting info from someone who hasn't worked on the game in months.

So an argument pertaining to keeping Ness or Lucas may not have been resolved last time the tipper was at Nintendo HQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom