• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
This may sound a bit off topic, but can anyone link me to the video where Mr. Sakurai says, "Have you ever made a game?" To the a-hole fan at the roundtable?
It's not recorded as far as i'm aware but according to Gamexplain he didn't really sound pissed or anything, but actually curious. But of course the context makes it seem like he was mocking him for the question, and rightfully so.

Tides

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoichx
It actually was recorded.

Good luck finding it. xD
it's at 48 minutes
As most of the COD fan base would say...

GET REKT.

Although I'm pretty sure he was just joking.
At least I hope, because there is no way Sakurai would fly some random guy out to Japan to help balance one of Nintendo's biggest games in the industry.

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
I see history repeating itself. The wailing and doom-and-gloom that surrounded the 35-character leak is beginning to set itself upon this one(and I constantly read those older threads because hey, it's kinda funny I'll admit to see such gnashing of teeth). "There's gotta be more newcomers!" "We're not sure that's all of them!" "What about <insert character here>? Sakurai'd be dumb to leave them out!"

Then the Mewtwo cut happened. Then R.O.B. happened(and I like him!). People refused right up to the bitter end to think that, hey, this is actually legit and true. I even saw right up until the last day discussions for Isaac and Mewtwo. No Krystal, no Mewtwo, no Ridley, no Sora(yeah, someone actually campaigned for Sora of all people). People straight-hated R.O.B.(I particularly loved the hatethreads in his subforum).

So, the topic of history repeating brings me back here. People are rationalizing an unrealistic roster count(47+Random works for a uniform UI across 3DS and WiiU. 51+random doesn't, as the 3DS CSS will look funky) just to try and think to themselves that their favorite will be getting in, and absolutely slamming those that did get in for getting in(WFT earlier, Miis now, Chorus Men/Chrom later).

47 characters + Random square works because it can be cleanly divided into rectangles based on the screen of the 3DS and the HD screens of the WiiU. 52 doesn't really divide all that easily(unless you divide it into four rows, which it does, to 13 character per row. But the 3DS likely can't handle that kind of CSS and maintain any kind of readability, so it'd have to be more square-ish to compensate). 48 total squares made an easy division of 6 rows of eight, which the 3DS would likely handle far more easily. A scrolling CSS is unacceptable, simply put. It can confuse newcomers to the game, looks quite ugly, compromises the visual of a vast roster, and could also be a pain to navigate depending on what character you want. Therefore, I'll put to imagery what I set into words.

3DS Filled Roster.png

(SSB Roster Maker doesn't support more than 10 rows, it seems, so the second row where Mario starts is where the 3DS CSS starts. Sorry for any confusion!)

So, a more block-ish format will allow for an easier time with the 3DS rendering all of the character options at once. 47 + Random makes sense in this regard. I really think this is the final roster we're looking at. I don't think they'll be perfect squares as the SSB Roster Maker puts them in, so it'll stretch as appropriate to fit well on the 3DS's top screen(which, according to the demo, is where the CSS will be).

Wait, Mii Fighters can't go online, so won't their square disappear and render your whole dumb theory even dumber?

I believe that when you go Online vs Anyone, the Mii square will be dimmed, but not removed, to showcase that they're not playable. Or, there could be another solution that would allow Miis online but disallow customizations to either body or special moves, but I cannot speak to that.

Why're they placed where they are?

I tried to place them in a manner that made sense theme-wise. Really, that's the most flexible part of my CSS submission, so I'd not look into it all too much.

Waitasec! You've got seven characters over there that aren't sorted, and none confirmed by Gematsu. Do you have a heart after all?!

That's a wishlist of sorts. I never really got to post it, but they're my impossible dreams.

Jeff: The only non-PSI user from Earthbound, he could use Bottle Rockets and various popguns to do battle. That said, he's DOA because if Ness and Lucas are having a tug-of-war to stay in Smash, this kid's chances are all but zero.
Leon: A non-Black Shadow/Blood Falcon/Samurai Goroh F-Zero suggestion. Could use soccer techniques and maybe the occasional claw attack to do battle. LOL if you think F-Zero is getting a second rep though. Massive LOL.
Anthony Higgs: A heavy-artillery user could be an interesting fit, and combined with a freeze pistol, he could be a zoning nightmare. Metroid won't see another rep this iteration though, and he's still gotta get more popular, despite the memes.
Xerneas: Quadruped, new type, deer. Add moon lasers, Geomancy self-buff, Horn Leech for a self-heal(maybe between 2-5% per hit), and I think he learns Bounce or something(maybe reflavor Megahorn). Unfortunately, he's a Pokeball. DOA.
Krystal: A melee-oriented staff user that might take a few tools out of Star Fox's arsenal to up her game and reflect her stradding between worlds. Maybe even summon Prince Tricky or her pterodactyl. Palutena kills her chances though, sadly.
Sabrewulf: Always been a favorite of mine, and a member of the massive push to establish the N64's 'killer fighting game'. No chance in hell though, given that Rare wouldn't accept Nintendo's water if they were dying of thirst in the desert.
Captain N: Admit it, you'd be hyped out of your mind if this kid got in. The Zapper, the Pause Button Final Smash, the Power Glove, he could be to Nintendo peripherals what Pac-Man is to Namco games. No one knows of him in Japan, though.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I was thinking about Charizard being standalone and, with the E3 demo showing how Doc Louis shows up in Little Mac's victory, I think the Pokémon Trainer (or Red) could still make a cameo on Charizard's victory poses and maybe during his Mega Evolution Final Smash's activation.

Could also serve as an reference to Pokémon Origins...

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Wait, Mii Fighters can't go online, so won't their square disappear and render your whole dumb theory even dumber?

I believe that when you go Online vs Anyone, the Mii square will be dimmed, but not removed, to showcase that they're not playable. Or, there could be another solution that would allow Miis online but disallow customizations to either body or special moves, but I cannot speak to that.
Well everything about the miis is customizable, there is no standard mii as far as we know, so I'm not sure how they could disallow customizations.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I was thinking about Charizard being standalone and, with the E3 demo showing how Doc Louis shows up in Little Mac's victory, I think the Pokémon Trainer (or Red) could still make a cameo on Charizard's victory poses and maybe during his Mega Evolution Final Smash's activation.

Could also serve as an reference to Pokémon Origins...
I've actually thought the same thing for quite a while.
Because, how would the Pokemon evolve without the help of a human?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
wouldn't we need some sort of trainer for Lucario as well since humans are required for mega evoloution
Maybe the Male Red Trainer,for Charizard, and the Female X Trainer, for Lucario?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
He's going to turn out like most Summon Characters do and be high tier. Spacing everywhere, effective tools and the like will likely make Pac really good, but I doubt he'll be top due to the common factor that many summon characters have pathetically low survival chances without their summons in play. Pac players will likely have to use the tools effectively in the right situation. In addition, Hard Counters = Large Stages. Effective spacing tools will include that Fire Hydrant, without a doubt. In the trailer, I saw that as a really effective move. Stages like Pyrosphere will be a hinderance because they're large enough. In addition, stages with platforms and many levels effectively choke Pac based on the options he's been seen to have.

A summon character is a character who summons various characters and tools to help them fight in battle. Think Dedede's Side Special, but where the whole moveset is kind of based around summoning items and stuff to assist you in battle.
Funny some people said it would be impossible for Paper Mario to be a summon character due to limitations.
:facepalm:

I hope they changed Wario's animations as it's kind of awkward visually. I understand that they're trying to implement both Wario Land and Warioware, which is fine, but I think there's a better way to handle it. Wario's Bike is fine, but I'd like it a little more if it was his original car from Wario Land 4. Honestly, I was very satisfied with Wario's moveset, but I never cared for his animation, mainly his running animation.

Also, I heard Chunky Kong was an assist trophy. Is there any footage of what he does? I find it odd that Chunky is an assist, especially with all the other characters to pick from that are arguably more important and even iconic. Donkey Kong: 64 was my favorite DK game so I guess that's cool.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
We've been discussing this new leak lately, this could be a pretty legitimate list, and it might affect the newcomers and veterans that are in the game.
stg.3dland
stg.balloonfight
stg.boxing
stg.brainage
stg.chapter11
stg.endpoint
stg.faceshoot
stg.ferox
stg.floralia
stg.fourside/dx
stg.garden/dx
stg.gerudo
stg.goldplains
stg.hyrulejo/dsb
stg.icemountain
stg.inishien/dsb
stg.izumi/dx
stg.jumpusagi
stg.junglecoast
stg.kraid/dx
stg.lounge
stg.miarecity
stg.mtdedede
stg.mutecity/dx
stg.osohe
stg.pacmaze
stg.pura/dx
stg.quest
stg.rainbowroad
stg.resortisland
stg.sectorz/dsb
stg.senjo
stg.skyroad
stg.sr388
stg.tomodachi
stg.tundra
stg.train
stg.vegaspalace
stg.wariotaxi
stg.wily
stg.yoshicloud
stg.yoster/dx
stg.zoness

D

Deleted member

Who else is not that convinced about the Gematsu stuff ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
We've been discussing this new leak lately, this could be a pretty legitimate list, and it might affect the newcomers and veterans that are in the game.
I don't recognize a decent amount of these stages. Like Chapter 11. . . What? Fire Emblem?

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Well not to be pessimistic, but even if that leak was real, Lucas could still be cut. Just because they cut him it doesn't mean that they would just take all Mother 3 representation from the game, especially if you consider the whole "3ds stages based on portable games" thing. But of course any info helping Lucas out is appreciated :p

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Even though I'd like to see Lucas back, this leak has yet to be proven legit.
The thing that sticks out to me the most is that one of the stages is Mt. Dedede. The only notable thing about that stage is the boxing ring, and we've already got one of those. So it's probably an outside level with a Kabula stage/boss hazard.

Why are you talking about stages here instead of the proper thread for that?
Because if the leak is correct, it could change the landscape of what characters might be getting in outside what's already been revealed in the Gematsu Leak? Considering that it could bring us to conclusions on characters, which is the primary focus of this topic, I feel it's temporarily proper for this topic, as well.

Besides, if we split up discussion over every proper topic it's going to be a cluster****.

Staarih

Smash Master
I've actually grown to really like the idea of Chorus Kids in Smash. The possibility of them has made me do some research on the Rhythm Heaven games, watch some gameplay footage and just generate interest towards the characters and franchise itself. It's a Ness -> Earthbound and Marth/Roy -> Fire Emblem thing all over again, at least to me: introduce fairly unknown games to a bigger audience. I love music and a rhythm-based game sounds really intriguing, I wonder why I haven't stumbled across this before.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I've actually grown to really like the idea of Chorus Kids in Smash. The possibility of it has made me do some research on the Rhythm Heaven games, watch some gameplay footage and just generate interest towards the characters and franchise itself. It's a Ness -> Earthbound and Marth/Roy -> Fire Emblem thing all over again, at least to me: introduce fairly unknown games to a bigger audience. I love music and a rhythm-based game sounds really intriguing, I wonder why I haven't stumbled across this before.
Why not give the series as a whole a try?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The leak is fake, by the way.

Some people may argue that list has credibility because it has file names. Well, I don't buy that. The leaker could be just being a smartass, thinking that he can fool people by posting a creatively made stage list. It's not hard to do research on Nintendo games and look on the Japanese names of stages and locations.

Actually scratch that: it's fake. The file name for Arena Ferox is "stg.ferox". In the Japanese version of Awakening, the country of Ferox is called Felia.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Who else is not that convinced about the Gematsu stuff ?
I still don't understand how people don't believe the Gematsu leak :drohmy:, we have way too many things that give it credit, but in the other hand... i understand why some people don't WANT to believe it, they most likely feel like is not enough and it will be sad if it actually is true (at least for them) :drshrug:, IMO these's the same thing that happened with Brawl :drifloon:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
The leak is fake, by the way.
Well, all we've had leaked to us was the stage list. Is there any other context there? Does the guy say it's the Japanese stage leak? It's entirely possible that the stage information could have come from the English version. I'd imagine that data would be floating around Nintendo somewhere since it's got to be translated and localized anyway. Not that I particularly believe the leak, but that's an interesting double standard when the Gematsu Leak is considered the be-all and end-all of leaks and the general consensus over there is that the leaker looked at a list at some point early in development.

I don't find it too far fetched, but everyone should definitely take their daily ration of salt to go along with this one.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, all we've had leaked to us was the stage list. Is there any other context there? Does the guy say it's the Japanese stage leak? It's entirely possible that the stage information could have come from the English version. I'd imagine that data would be floating around Nintendo somewhere since it's got to be translated and localized anyway. Not that I particularly believe the leak, but that's an interesting double standard when the Gematsu Leak is considered the be-all and end-all of leaks and the general consensus over there is that the leaker looked at a list at some point early in development.

I don't find it too far fetched, but everyone should definitely take their daily ration of salt to go along with this one.
How would you explain the inconsistency between Japanese names and English names on a file list that isn't necessary to be translated and would probably mess the game up if the file names were changed without proper care?

Remind that this is a Japanese game developed by Japanese developers who obviously use the Japanese names as a reference.

This is even apparent on the official website where the file names for Mega Man and Greninja are respectively rockman and gekkouga, even on the localized pages.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
How would you explain the inconsistency between Japanese names and English names on a file list that isn't necessary to be translated and would probably mess the game up if the file names were changed without proper care?
You make a good point.

Still, good thing the Gematsu Leakers didn't get hold of this one, eh? Would've said it was outdated information.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
You really don't like the Gematsu leak :dr^_^:
I just find some of the excuses and rationalizations they use to be silly, that's all.

Not especially after I essentially provided evidence that the odds he had access to outdated information was extremely slim.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom