• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Speaking of Marshall not appropriately representing his whole series, I feel the same way about Wario.

I don't think Wario appropriately represents all of WarioWare that well.
Maybe, but just the fact that he is Wario should be more than enough to make him the face of Smash :awesome:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Speaking of Marshall not appropriately representing his whole series, I feel the same way about Wario.

I don't think Wario appropriately represents all of WarioWare that well.
Wario's kind of split, sadly.
He has two series to take things from, but Brawl's moveset felt like a sour mix of the two. I think they should either go with one series or the other when taking his moveset into consideration (hopefully they've done that) instead of doing freaky mix-match. It's unfaithful to both of his game series' when neither series truly merged together.

Did I spoil something?
You didn't, I was just being a little pre-emptive and cautious to people in general. Didn't mean to single anyone out, apologies if I sounded like it :ohwell:
People get all salty when Mother 3 gets spoiled.

I honestly would like to see a third Mother character (Porky Minch), but it's still a pipe dream.

Also, I'd rather a flame not start up here.
If someone's bugging you and you feel like starting something, I'd ask you not to, or take it to PMs, or ignore them temporarily.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I may be one of the only ones who doesn't really think Mother deserved a second character anyway.

And people say Rhythm Heaven doesn't even deserve one character.
Hah.
Well it's a pretty subjective notion to begin with, most people will probably want more characters on series that they are more fond of, regardless of wether they think they deserve it or not. I for one would like to see Lucas back as well as to add Porky or the Masked Man to the roster.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Man, subjective is the word of the day, isn't it.

Not only is Rhythm Heaven bigger than Mother, it's also more successful.

Mother has two characters. Rhythm Heaven didn't get one ounce of content in Brawl.

I'm just making the connection.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wario's kind of split, sadly.
He has two series to take things from, but Brawl's moveset felt like a sour mix of the two. I think they should either go with one series or the other when taking his moveset into consideration (hopefully they've done that) instead of doing freaky mix-match. It's unfaithful to both of his game series' when neither series truly merged together.
Kinda funny you mention that when I posted this in the Wario thread just recently.
Exactly. And honestly, there really isn't much to pull from Wario Land aside from the ground pound and shoulder bash, the latter being his fsmash.

His bite, jab combo, forward throw and to a certain extent Corkscrew are all from Wario World. What more could you ask for, aside from the shoulder bash being a special? I don't really get this "not represented right" statement towards his design. The character has so much detail pulled from his games (his double jump animation is from his signature pose in Warioware Twisted, and when you charge his fsmash he charge up his legs like a should bash that isn't moving), and there was a lot of care went towards his animations.

I'm personally very happy with his Brawl design. He's very fun and true to his character.
I think he has a very cohesive design, where everything blends together nicely. He's a zany, unpredictable character with brute force, and a fighting archetype like no other.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Mother has two characters. Rhythm Heaven didn't get one ounce of content in Brawl.

I don't think there's any need to attack Mother.
I agree Mother doesn't deserve two characters but it's already happened.
Rhythm Heaven is a fun enjoyable game but there really is no need to bash Mother because RH doesn't have a representative yet.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Rhythm Heaven wasn't nearly as successful in Brawl, I believe. And now it is a lot more successful, which is reflected in the inclusion of the ghost enemy in Smash Run.

As for Mother, Ness/Lucas were always intended to be the sole representative of their franchise. Though there's no point in cutting Lucas now.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Kinda funny you mention that when I posted this in the Wario thread just recently.

I think he has a very cohesive design, where everything blends together nicely. He's a zany, unpredictable character with brute force, and a fighting archetype like no other.
I've always imagined him representing both franchises WarioWare and Wario Land/World.
More so the latter.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I love Mother, btw. Not trying to bash it, that wasn't my intention.

Lucas could very well be cut, though.
No it's my bad I misread your words when you said RH was "Bigger" I thought you were bashing it I apologize.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Rhythm Heaven wasn't nearly as successful in Brawl, I believe. And now it is a lot more successful, which is reflected in the inclusion of the ghost enemy in Smash Run.
Rhythm Heaven didn't even have more than 1 game, an obscure and rare Japanese only one by that. The DS game is what really got it on the map, after Brawl.

As for Mother, Ness/Lucas were always intended to be the sole representative of their franchise. Though there's no point in cutting Lucas now.
They might still be trying the one to represent them all initiative, which is why it's possible Lucas and Ness are being forced against each other, again.

It might just be me, then.
But I'd personally take from one franchise and one only.
The custom moves will likely amend this, however. They'll easily be moves inspired by both, so everyone's happy! :)

I just don't understand it.
All of the new Mother content in Brawl was from Mother 3. We got New Pork City, we got Porky as a boss!
I thought he was safe.
Because Mother 3 was popular in Japan at that point and Earthbound was over 10 years old.
Now, Earthbound is popular again thanks to the rerelease on Virtual Console.
Mother 3 hasn't gotten too much love.[/quote]

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I've always imagined him representing both franchises WarioWare and Wario Land/World.
More so the latter.
If you really wanna go with move aesthetics, he already does. Bike, down tilt and maybe the waft vs jab, dash attack, fsmash, bite, forward throw, down throw (butt stomp, forgot about it in my original post!) and maybe up b.

He MOVES like Warioware, he ATTACKS like Wario Land/World. Perfectly cohesive design. :p

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I love Mother, btw. Not trying to bash it, that wasn't my intention.

Lucas could very well be cut, though.
Louie, you may be looking a little too much into the leak. Like, I'm not gonna say that he's for sure coming back, because I don't know that, but still. Don't expect too much from it.

Weeman

Smash Crusader

But the nature of Rythm Heaven, being a minigame based title makes it so it's kinda hard to really like a character outside of memetic or adorable reasons, that's why usually people seem to gravitate towards more established characters such as Isaac or Shulk even if their games are not nearly as succesful.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Wario should have his plumber outfit, with the bike outfit as unlockable this time around.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I think Wario should have his plumber outfit, with the bike outfit as unlockable this time around.
I think Warioware should be given priority since that's what the character's own creators associate him with. Plus Warioware is still going strong and it separates him from Mario.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think Warioware should be given priority since that's what the character's own creators associate him with. Plus Warioware is still going strong and it separates him from Mario.
I can't say I agree, but I do understand your reasoning.
But I definitely think his plumber outfit is more iconic.

D

Deleted member

I think Wario should keep the bike. Any Brawl Wario main knows that the bike is probably his best moves. He should also keep both his taunts.

Also biker should be default, because white plumber Wario is my favorite color, and I just had to press one button to get it. PM Wario is such an inconvenience. You have to press the button more than once.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
They might still be trying the one to represent them all initiative, which is why it's possible Lucas and Ness are being forced against each other, again.
Honestly, I sort of feel that was the way it should have been, since Ness really represents both Mother and Earthbound, but since Lucas was planned for two games, I feels unfair for him to be cut.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Well i actually agree with him, WarioWare it's what separates him the most from the Mario universe so i think it should be given priority, as for the moveset i like the fact that he is wacky and unpredictable, wich i think kinda represents the nature of WarioWare rather well even if it's not from a gameplay perspective.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Not denying that, but it's more about representation. The masterminds behind the character like to present the character with his Warioware appearance, whereas the overalls is more relegated towards spin offs now. I think there's more value to appeasing to Wario's own creators since Smash is about accurate (and not origins) representation for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I do not think the bite really is iconic for Wario. But his bike is amazing.

The waft is alright. If its combined with the corkscrew, there will be another open slot.

D

Deleted member

Heck, Wario being unpredictable fits his character quite well too; I always thought he had at least one screw loose.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Louie, you may be looking a little too much into the leak. Like, I'm not gonna say that he's for sure coming back, because I don't know that, but still. Don't expect too much from it.
I personally don't see that as too much of a big deal.
Melee, Brawl, and now 4 have pitted the two against each other. Ness won Melee, both lived to see Brawl, and seeing that DLC exists, it's very likely that both are still going to be in the game by the end of 4's Nintendo-supported cycle.
Honestly, I sort of feel that was the way it should have been, since Ness really represents both Mother and Earthbound, but since Lucas was planned for two games, I feels unfair for him to be cut.
Are you referring to Mother 1 AKA Earthbound Zero?
Ness wasn't in that game, and seeing how Ninten is so close to Ness, he'd likely just get subjected to alternate outfit.

Lucas and Ness are pretty much planned for almost every game, but each saw different outcomes. With a bigger development team, they'll likely both survive, but one may not be present on the pre-DLC roster.

I think Wario should keep the bike.
I feel like some veterans will get special exceptions to the "Variation rule" on custom moves. Not 12 all out different specials, but maybe 1 or two uniques here and there. I expect a Wario-Ware moveset and the bash as either a dash attack or a custom-side-special.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I still fail to see how people believe Lucas is a clone. Oh, and I think he'll be back. If Toon Link of all people is back, then Lucas is back.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
His purple convertible as a special variation could be cool. Faster and stronger, but it cannot pop a wheelie.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I still fail to see how people believe Lucas is a clone. Oh, and I think he'll be back. If Ike of all people is back, then Lucas is back.
I don't think Ike is a good example for that he was way more differentiated from Marth than Lucas was from Ness.
I think this sentence would do:
Oh, and I think he'll be back. If Toon Link of all people is back, then Lucas is back.
Just because he's more of a clone than Ike not that I dislike Toon Link he's just not different enough.

D

Deleted member

On the subject of Ness vs. Lucas;

Neither can live while the other survives.

It was too easy. I'm feeling extra silly today.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I don't think Ike is a good example for that he was way more differentiated from Marth than Lucas was from Ness.
I think this sentence would do:
Oh, and I think he'll be back. If Toon Link of all people is back, then Lucas is back.
Just because he's more of a clone than Ike not that I dislike Toon Link he's just not different enough.
What do you mean? I said Toon Link! ;)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Are you referring to Mother 1 AKA Earthbound Zero?
Ness wasn't in that game, and seeing how Ninten is so close to Ness, he'd likely just get subjected to alternate outfit.
Lucas and Ness are pretty much planned for almost every game, but each saw different outcomes. With a bigger development team, they'll likely both survive, but one may not be present on the pre-DLC roster.
Ness is supposed to be Ninten, though. Or, it is intentionally made to seem that way.
And who said there would be DLC characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom