• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Fun fact: The Rosalina support thread was open for nearly a year and a half and only reached 363 replies, which isn't much at all as far as support threads go. For comparison purposes the Little Mac support thread had over 1,500 replies before his inclusion.

6 months later after her release the post count is up to 1,556... The thread essentially quadrupled in size in 1/3 of the time.

No Smash 4 newcomer has blown up in popularity like Rosalina has, other than WFT which isn't a fair comparison considering she never really had a support base in the first place.
That doesn't seem like very good evidence her popularity blew up.

Smashboards, for starters, is an extremely small division of Nintendo's fanbase.

And Rosalina was pretty unanimously regarded as "not gonna happen" before she was revealed. Obviously, if a character is revealed, people are going to talk about it. Where is best place for that? The thread dedicated to them.

Not saying that she didn't gain some popularity; but that isn't good evidence of it.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'm not denying any of those characters' popularity. But if we don't like a character for the sake of uniqueness, we don't have to accept it.
Fine, don't accept it. I never said you had to be an avid supporter and like the character. Yet you miss my main point: don't **** on people who do accept it. If people like the Chorus Kids, that's fine. It's not gonna be "a terrible batch of newcomers". At that point you're just talking smack about the characters, and the people that support them. It's rude and I find it disgusting.

D

Deleted member

I actually love Wii Fit Trainer's being in the game, simply because if Wii Fit didn't exist, I probably wouldn't have been able to get a Wii, and I wouldn't be as invested in games as I am now. She was revealed about a year ago, and I'm only just now realizing this.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
So Mega Man, Palutena, Little Mac, and possibly Chrom and Shulk don't do it for you? And you also can't take away Miis and Pac-Man's popularity, regardless of the Boards's opinion on them. I think we have a good batch of newcomers that people wanted. Even if the leak isn't true, we still got 3 bigwigs. I think that's pretty good. But then again, to each his own. I'm just saying that despite Wii Fit Trainer, Chorus Kids, and "Bland Chrom", we have popular newcomers.
It still feels odd without Mewtwo, so if the leak is true, let's hope there's more that the leaker doesn't know.

Morbi

Scavenger
Fine, don't accept it. I never said you had to be an avid supporter and like the character. Yet you miss my main point: don't **** on people who do accept it. If people like the Chorus Kids, that's fine. It's not gonna be "a terrible batch of newcomers". At that point you're just talking smack about the characters, and the people that support them. It's rude and I find it disgusting.
So if we do not like a character; if we actively attempt to refute their viability... we are personally insulting those who support them? In that event, I would like to apologize to all Pokemon Trainer mains.

D

Deleted member

I've never understood why Mewtwo not being on the leak means he won't be in the game. Technically, he's a veteran, and all the leak has said about vets is that the team had a debate about Ness or Lucas with Lucas likely to be cut.

Maybe I just believe in roses kissed with dew or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You're right, I apologize. That was hasty of me.

But I still think that the roster overall has glaring omissions and adding characters like that without them is a very foolish decision.

(And to be fair, it's not like the people who support them and the leak are any better because people who don't like them get easily singled out)

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
So if we do not like a character; if we actively attempt to refute their viability... we are personally insulting those who support them? In that event, I would like to apologize to all Pokemon Trainer mains.
Calling them a terrible newcomer...blatantly insulting them. It's childish. I know you don't like Pokemon Trainer. Yet you never said "GOSH, the game will suck. I will not get the game if POKEMON TRAINER is in instead of MEWTWO." You just had valid argument, and that was it. You never complained incessantly.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
That doesn't seem like very good evidence her popularity blew up.

Smashboards, for starters, is an extremely small division of Nintendo's fanbase.

And Rosalina was pretty unanimously regarded as "not gonna happen" before she was revealed. Obviously, if a character is revealed, people are going to talk about it. Where is best place for that? The thread dedicated to them.

Not saying that she didn't gain some popularity; but that isn't good evidence of it.
That was merely one example but I guarantee you'd find a similar trend on just about any other site.

Unless if you can easily find evidence to refute this I don't understand what's so controversial about what I'm saying.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
(And to be fair, it's not like the people who support them and the leak are any better because people who don't like them get easily singled out)
You see, this is why we should all just chill the **** out and not bash on any people. From the leak side or the non-leak side. Hating on other characters will not make the leak any more likely or unlikely. (THIS GOES FOR EVERYONE)

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm just happy we didn't get Dr. Kawashima or Nintendog. The Chorus Men might seem generic, but at least they aren't on par with a freaking photo-realistic puppy.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
It still feels odd without Mewtwo, so if the leak is true, let's hope there's more that the leaker doesn't know.
The leaker never said anything about veterans except for that one incidence with Lucas, and that was just for being cut. Yes, he is high-profile, and I certainly will be disappointed if he doesn't make it in, but I'm still holding out hope. As Louie continues to say, remember Rosalina.

And we good, Kenith.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I've never understood why Mewtwo not being on the leak means he won't be in the game. Technically, he's a veteran, and all the leak has said about vets is that the team had a debate about Ness or Lucas with Lucas likely to be cut.

Maybe I just believe in roses kissed with dew or something.
I guess many people belive that current roster + Sal's newcomers + Remaining veterans - Lucas, Snake, Ivysaur and Squirtle it's a safe bet, and since everyone wants to make accurate prediction rosters, then they will go through the safest route. But then again if DLC characters are a thing this might not even matter.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'm just happy we didn't get Dr. Kawashima or Nintendog. The Chorus Men might seem generic, but at least they aren't on par with a freaking photo-realistic puppy.
Um, I would like to challenge you on that. A head would actually be pretty unique and interesting.

Dear Lord, I've become BluePikmin.
We good?
(And just so we're clear, I will ***** incessantly if I am ganged up on, even if I don't mean it.)
Fair enough. Never meant to personally attack you though. My apologies. :(

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The leaker never said anything about veterans except for that one incidence with Lucas, and that was just for being cut. Yes, he is high-profile, and I certainly will be disappointed if he doesn't make it in, but I'm still holding out hope. As Louie continues to say, remember Rosalina.

And we good, Kenith.
Is it bad that I think he's back purely based on the fact that the game was delayed?
I mean if they are still disputing whether they should keep him or not he is probably partially programmed in the game right?
I don't think Lucas was the only one either maybe Falco or Wolf was also meant to be cut and the delay allowed more time to fully program them in.

D

Deleted member

When anyone brings up the possibility of Lucas getting the axe, I just sing this:

"I believe the morning sun
Always gonna shine again and
I believe a pot of gold
Waits at every rainbow's end
I believe in roses kissed with dew
Why shouldn't I believe the same in you?
I believe in make believe
Fairy tales and lucky charms and
I believe in promises
Spoken as you cross your heart
I believe in skies forever blue
You may say I'm a fool
Feelin' the way that I do
You can call me Pollyanna
Say I'm crazy as a loon
I believe in silver linings
And that's why I believe in you
I believe there'll come a day
Maybe it will be tomorrow
When the bluebird flies away
All we have to do is follow
I believe a dream can still come true
You may say I'm a fool
I believe in friends and laughter
And the wonders love can do
I believe in songs and magic
You may say I'm a fool
Feelin' this way about you
There's not much I can do
I'm gonna be this way my life through
'Cause I still believe in miracles
I swear I've seen a few
And the time will surely come
When you can see my point of view
I believe in second chances
And that's why I believe in you"

And if he is cut, well, I was blindly optimistic the whole time! And I have Greninja, so it doesn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I guess many people belive that current roster + Sal's newcomers + Remaining veterans - Lucas, Snake, Ivysaur and Squirtle it's a safe bet, and since everyone wants to make accurate prediction rosters, then they will go through the safest route. But then again if DLC characters are a thing this might not even matter.
Eh, if I made a roster that followed the leak, you can bet that I'd cut Ness and keep Lucas. :awesome:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
When anyone brings up the possibility of Lucas getting the axe, I just sing this:

"I believe the morning sun
Always gonna shine again and
I believe a pot of gold
Waits at every rainbow's end
I believe in roses kissed with dew
I believe in make believe
Fairy tales and lucky charms and
I believe in promises
Spoken as you cross your heart
I believe in skies forever blue
You may say I'm a fool
You can call me Pollyanna
Say I'm crazy as a loon
I believe in silver linings
I believe there'll come a day
Maybe it will be tomorrow
When the bluebird flies away
All we have to do is follow
I believe a dream can still come true
You may say I'm a fool
I believe in friends and laughter
And the wonders love can do
I believe in songs and magic
You may say I'm a fool
Feelin' this way about you
There's not much I can do
I'm gonna be this way my life through
'Cause I still believe in miracles
I swear I've seen a few
And the time will surely come
When you can see my point of view
I believe in second chances
And that's why I believe in you"

And if he is cut, well, I was blindly optimistic the whole time! And I have Greninja, so it doesn't matter.
Pollyanna?!
You can't do that that's from Mother 1 stop pulling on my nostalgia strings.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I feel as if the leak has SOME credibility, in the case of the newcomers he has announced. I don't really find the whole Lucas/Ness thing credible YET.

And I still have other characters coming in that are new. I have Dixie/K. Rool (I can never decide which) and Isaac. And Mewtwo of course.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Just as an overview, here's what I don't like about Chorus Men

- They are not visually distinct
- A three character team seems very unlikely especially if two can strain the hardware
- I feel like no one character would properly represent their series
- NO ONE wanted them before the leak became popular. But then the leak mentioned them and everyone jumped on board and god forbid you don't agree with it.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Is it bad that I think he's back purely based on the fact that the game was delayed?
I mean if they are still disputing whether they should keep him or not he is probably partially programmed in the game right?
I don't think Lucas was the only one either maybe Falco or Wolf was also meant to be cut and the delay allowed more time to fully program them in.
I would cry tears of joy if that was true. I have bias in that I want Lucas more than I would want to see Falco or Wolf come back but the more the merrier! But I'm still holding my hopes up high for my first main :)

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Just as an overview, here's what I don't like about Chorus Men

- They look uninteresting
- A three character team seems very unlikely especially if two can strain the hardware
- I feel like no one character would properly represent their series
- NO ONE wanted them before the leak became populart. But then the leak mentioned them and everyone jumped on board and god forbid you don't agree with it.
-Subjective (I thought the same about Little Mac, so I'm just gonna wait and see for the kids)
-Understandable
-Understandable, yet Louie did bring up how they are the most advertised
- Very true. But I still like the idea of them.

I mean, it took a while for me to jump on board, but I like the idea of rhythm-based movesets. I enjoy it. Like, as a singer and performer, I think it'd be cool, attacking with notes and rhythmic attacks.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I do not believe that Lucas is omitted from the roster either, even operating under the assumption that the leak is objectively true. However, that might just be me (and you).
There really isn't any reason for him to be cut he's well liked and differentiated enough from Ness that he absolutely deserves to be on the roster so I think he's definitely in.
But that's just me (and you... and him)

D

Deleted member

I do not believe that Lucas is omitted from the roster either, even operating under the assumption that the leak is objectively true. However, that might just be me (and you).
I keep repeating myself, but the way the thing is worded, it is correct if Lucas is cut, Ness is cut, or both make it in. Why? It says Lucas is likely to get the cut, as in he might still make it in.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Oh I know, I'm just giving my opinions too. Like, I like their design and aesthetic. As I said before, to each his own. :)
I think they could be pretty unique in Smash but only if they use that freakish mouth.
That would be freaking cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom