• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The only character that I dislike on the leak is Chrom (now that the Mii's are revealed, I can't put them on here anymore) but hopefully Sal's leaker just heard something about a lord in Fire Emblem Awakening and mistaked it to be Chrom.
Lucina?
Perhaps?
You know since she is like the only other Lord in Awakening.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
The only big difference between this roster and past ones, is that there aren't really any "Nintendo all-stars".

I guess maybe you could argue for Little Mac and Villager.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm sure these newcomers are just so much more terrible than that time we got six blatant, unoriginal clones, a crappy Mewtwo, some unknown Japanese sword guy, that random Zelda transformation, the Ice Climbers (I mean who cares?), some weird obscure 2D shadow man who isn't very good, two damsels in distress and Bowser. Who also isn't very good. Where are Wario and Diddy and Banjo?

Or how about that time we got another Fox clone, another Link, and some dumb robot instead of Ridley and Mega Man and Geno and Isaac and Krystal? Where's that third third party we were all expecting? And only 18 newcomers? Blasphemy. I wanted forty-something characters.

People always complain about the rosters until they don't anymore. And then they will with the next game.

At least they all seem like they'll be original and we'll be getting DLC.
I did not actually have any complaints with Melee's roster (as I am an advocate of clone characters). Mewtwo's move-set was fun despite not being entirely decent. I was more excited that Mewtwo was on the roster to be honest. As for the random anime swordsmen, they intrigued me. So I was not necessarily disappointed because I was interested in them, I always found it far more entertaining to learn about characters through the conduit that is Smash. Zelda and Peach were AMAZING additions that I never thought possible BECAUSE they were the "damsel in distress" archetype. Those are the characters that demonstrate that anything is possible within reason. I have never heard anyone complain about Bowser though, the main antagonist of Mario was a worse choice than Wario? That does not seem rational. Melee's roster was immaculate at the time, it is only through hind-sight bias that where we actually take those characters for granted.

As for Brawl; I was again, not very demanding. I adored the roster, everything except R.O.B, of course. Wolf is, at the very most, a pseudo-clone, so the point is moot. Another Link was already in Melee, so that notion is negligible. The only third party character that anyone was "expecting" was Sonic if I recall properly, but I suppose expectations were erroneously raised because of Snake and people forgot that it was SMASH BROTHERS. After that, people got their precious Wario and Diddy Kong.

I had no complaints, and given the circumstances (such as Subspace in Brawl or the fact that Melee was developed within 2-3 years of Smash 64), we got reasonable rosters. However, I am laboring a bit of disdain as the circumstances surrounding the development of this game should entail much more than this. Alas; I am certain that we will get Ridley, and that is enough for me.

Just felt like sharing my thoughts.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You really think those are the most hyped newcomers?

I don't think Little Mac's Final Smash got that reaction.
I actually agree with you I don't think Palutena or Mii were really "hyped" more like inevitable.
But Little Mac and the 2 3rd parties were extremely hyped.
Mega Man more so than Pac-man because well he was also inevitable.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Well at this point aside from Ridley and K. Rool they don't have many all stars from Nintendo's repertoire left.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The thing about the newcomers is that even some of the most wanted Nintendo characters that have been included are not BIG NAMES.

Palutena and Little Mac were requested heavily. But there are not necessarily well-known. And Chrom is a rumored character and many people wanted him, but he seems boring and not a household name. Mii might be the biggest Nintendo name out of the characters.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Zelda, Bowser, Peach, Marth (he was requested) Mewtwo, Ganondorf.

The roster was a lot smaller, and I guarantee you all of those characters were wanted.
I am not talking about what I want, I am talking about the general quality of the newcomers.
I would argue that the "quality" of the newcomers is best in this game.

Everyone brings something new and creative.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
*Walks into this thread*
*Sees discussions about gematsu, who is/was hyped, and hating on smash rosters*
I'll be in the Isaac thread for a while.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well at this point aside from Ridley and K. Rool they don't have many all stars from Nintendo's repertoire left.
Isaac is probably the last one I see as an All-Star.
But besides that retro characters are in the teens almost I can think of 5 right off the top of my head.
Sukapon, Takamaru, Mike Jones, Duck Hunt Dog, and Mach Rider.
Well those are the most popular anyway so Nintendo's not almost out of characters.
Just out of well known characters.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Greninja was probably the most unexpected newcomer in my eyes, though I guess when most players like to pick Froakie as their starter in X/Y, I can see where Greninja got its fame.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Mewtwo is the only plausible all star left.

THE ONLY plausible all star left.

Ridley and K. Rool's fame is overrated. They're well known and popular, but they aren't necessarily all-stars.
If Mac and Palutena aren't all stars, that is.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Obviously that is subjective as everyone has a different definition of "all-star;" however, I guarantee you that we are still missing fairly prominent/prevalent characters. Their is no inherent need to resort to characters at the bottom of the barrel quite yet.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
At least initially, my bias against the Gematsu rmours had absolutely nothing to do with it's characters. I had no opinion on them.

It was the fact that anyone that does not believe them is either ganged up upon, treated like an idiot, or burned at the stake (or a combination of the three)

Now that most of it's newcomers are indeed in the game, that is multiplied by a million.

I feel like a Ridley fan after the Smash Bros. Direct.

Morbi

Scavenger

Ridley and K. Rool's fame is overrated.
Case and point; this individual does not believe that the main antagonists to Nintendo's most prominent franchises (without the words Mario or Zelda, of course) are "all-stars," he believes that they are "overrated."

Subjectivity at its finest.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

Ridley and K. Rool's fame is overrated. They're well known and popular, but they aren't necessarily all-stars.
If Mac and Palutena aren't all stars, that is.
If Ridley and K. Rool aren't all-stars, Palutena definitely isn't.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think Shulk and Chrom are the only one's from the Gematsu Leak that make sense personally.

I would be very surprised if Chorus Men are revealed. Mainly because I was very Anti-Pac Man and was pretty impressed that he was given a decent moveset with little to work with. Chorus Men might be a lot more tricky to piece a moveset together with, but I would still be alright with his inclusion.
No if you can look at the title and base it on rhythm, it's easy to piece a moveset based on the minigames in RH.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Case and point; this individual does not believe that the main antagonists to Nintendo's most prominent franchises (without the words Mario or Zelda, of course) are "all-stars," he believes that they are "overrated."

Subjectivity at its finest.
Are you freaking kidding?

I LOVE K. Rool. I LOVE Ridley. I support both of them and consider them two of the best possible additions.

But I'm not sure what the term "all-star" really means at this point.

Not a lot of casuals or non-gamers know K. Rool or Ridley.
Many devout gamers and Smash fans do.

But to treat them as characters that everybody knows is wrong.
I don't think that THEY are overrated. I think that people overrate how well known they are.

They're deserving characters who should be in the game. But all-stars is used quite loosely if Mac and Palutena are not all stars but K. Rool and Ridley are.
If Ridley and K. Rool aren't all-stars, Palutena definitely isn't.
That's what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Even if all the characters on the leak are present, I still can't see Chorus Men happening. Marshall, maybe. But if they're truly a team of three, I am 100% certain It's not happening.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Even if all the characters on the leak are present, I still can't see Chorus Men happening. Marshall, maybe. But if they're truly a team of three, I am 100% certain It's not happening.
Maybe the trio aspect would be completely aesthetic, to symbolize that they are attacking in harmony, but they would still act as a single unit.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Precisely, I would assert that "all-star" status, quite clearly, has very little to do with a characters inclusion.
It should of been clear it's not a hard pressed term when we've gotten Ness day one, and just continued to roll along for every installment. It's pretty subjective to begin with, like believe it or not but even characters like Link and Samus aren't known by everyone.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Maybe the trio aspect would be completely aesthetic, to symbolize that they are attacking in harmony, but they would still act as a single unit.
I hope so trying to seperate three characters would be way too difficult.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Forgive my subjectivity, but who cares about them?

Non-gamers are not part of the demographic whatsoever, so they should be forgotten. And casual gamers still probably don't care about the characters that much, they only know the really, really iconic ones like Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man. That's why those characters are so hyped. Becasue everyone knows them and likes them.

I think any characters known by most Nintendo fans are Nintendo All-Stars. So I imagine Ridley and Mewtwo are All-Stars. I don't know about Palutena and King K Rool.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Are you freaking kidding?

I LOVE K. Rool. I LOVE Ridley. I support both of them and consider them two of the best possible additions.

But I'm not sure what the term "all-star" really means at this point.

But to treat them as characters that everybody knows is wrong.
I don't think that THEY are overrated. I think that people overrate how well known they are.

They're deserving characters who should be in the game. But all-stars is used quite loosely if Mac and Palutena are not all stars but K. Rool and Ridley are.

That's what I'm saying.
Of course; that was essentially what I was saying as well. I was not attempting to insinuate that you thought that they were bad choices or something. I was just addressing the "all-star" aspect of speculation.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Eh, whatever.

I don't think a character's fame is what gets them into Smash Bros anymore.

Maybe at one point, but not anymore.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Eh, whatever.

I don't think a character's fame is what gets them into Smash Bros anymore.

Maybe at one point, but not anymore.
I thought Little Mac got in pretty much only because he was highly requested. I would also argue that Pac-Man, Mega Man and the Mii and pretty famous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom