• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Chrom and Shulk were pretty likely to begin with.
A Rhythm Heaven enemy makes a playable character very likely.

If it weren't for Chorus Men, people would probably believe the last part.
And Chorus Men are looking pretty likely at the moment...

Jeez I can't wait.

And from a big RH fan, Chorus Men are not only more fitting to represent RH, but Wrestler wouldn't really represent it well at all.
I am genuinely curious, as someone who did not know that Rhythm Heaven even existed; just like 90-95% of the Smash consumer-base, what do Chorus Men offer that other Rhythm Heaven characters do not? What makes them the ideal character(?) to represent their series over notable and prominent characters that everyone else has heard of without the aid of a leak?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Explain, please.
Sure thing.

Chorus Men are music based, which basically represents everything that Rhythm Heaven is about. Also take into account that many minigames in the series feature duos, trios, or quartets keeping rhythm and staying in synch. That's exactly what the Chorus Men are, so even though they only show up in one minigame, they are representative of a good chunk of the games in the series.

Wrestler is awesome, but would be more likely to have a grappler style moveset, which has nothing to do with RH, therefore making him a poor sole representative of the series. If RH was to get another character down the line, Wrestler would be fine, but to be the first character added from the series you should really represent what the series is all about: music and rhythm.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Wrestler is awesome, but would be more likely to have a grappler style moveset, which has nothing to do with RH, therefore making him a poor sole representative of the series. If RH was to get another character down the line, Wrestler would be fine, but to be the first character added from the series you should really represent what the series is all about: music and rhythm.
Really? The first thing I thought of for his moveset involved timely attacks for more power, and when the Reporter (come on, there's no way she wouldn't be there) asks a question, he poses/answers which gives him a buff.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Well i'm guessing because if they added Wrestler they would have to make a moveset based on wrestling moves and grabs, same with Karate Joe, Chorus Kids can represent the "musical" aspect of the games (wich is the main attraction of the games) since their abilities are about singing in harmony. Of course this is my point of view so feel free to differ.

Edit: They're also adorable and memetic, so people would probably don't imagine them fighting, and i guess that's what Sakurai wants.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Really? The first thing I thought of for his moveset involved timely attacks for more power, and when the Reporter (come on, there's no way she wouldn't be there) asks a question, he poses/answers which gives him a buff.
That would be awesome!

I just think that Chorus Men represent the series far better.

Another thing in their favor, they are pretty much the mascots of the DS game. They are on posters, the cover, and there's even a. Chorus Man standee to advertise the game. Think of them as Pikachu to Pokemon. There are many characters in the series, but Chorus Men are perhaps some of the most notable and advertised. If Sakurai wanted to add a RH character and went to Tsunku for ideas, Chorus Men are likely to be mentioned.

image.jpg

You can see some advertisements on here, such as the box art, standee, and comic.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That would be awesome!

I just think that Chorus Men represent the series far better.

Another thing in their favor, they are pretty much the mascots of the DS game. They are on posters, the cover, and there's even a. Chorus Man standee to advertise the game. Think of them as Pikachu to Pokemon. There are many characters in the series, but Chorus Men are perhaps some of the most notable and advertised. If Sakurai wanted to add a RH character and went to Tsunku for ideas, Chorus Men are likely to be mentioned.

View attachment 16308
You can see some advertisements on here, such as the box art, standee, and comic.
They're so generic looking, though...and I still don't see how they are more iconic, I knew about the Wrestler long before I even knew what the series was and I first saw Marshall when I joined Smashboards.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Is Shulk that bad of a choice to you?
I think Shulk is a good one.
And maybe Chorus Kids.
They could probably make Chrom pretty interesting.
But yeah if that's all the Newcomers we'll be getting I'll be more than a little upset.

Morbi

Scavenger
I would honestly prefer Marshal, Miss Ribbon, and Cam (not sure if those are the names or not) for some aesthetic diversity. But again, I am interested in the Chorus Men as they are essentially blank slates (quite literally). So their move-set potential has no limit as Sakurai would clearly be interested in their character presuming the Gematsu leak is objectively true.

Unless he missed some, like Rosalina.
That is certainly an odd way of spelling Ridley. :awesome:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Well they added Little Mac, Mega Man and Pac Man so i can safely say that i can't be dissapointed with this roster.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
They're so generic looking, though...and I still don't see how they are more iconic, I knew about the Wrestler long before I even knew what the series was and I first saw Marshall when I joined Smashboards.
There are a lot of generic looking characters in Smash. Villager, for example, is literally your avatar. Wii Fit Trainer is a mannequin. Yet they have cool and unique movesets inspired by their series.

Chorus Men is almost the exact same situation. I'm sad everyone is so against them. They seem so fun and unique to me.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I can see atleast a couple more unknown newcomers.
I'm gonna sound like such a fanboy when I say this but I really want Isaac and Takamaru to be top secret unlockable characters that aren't announced before the JP release.
That would make it the best roster out of any Smash.
Presuming of course that the leak is true.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm gonna sound like such a fanboy when I say this but I really want Isaac and Takamaru to be top secret unlockable characters that aren't announced before the JP release.
That would make it the best roster out of any Smash.
Presuming of course that the leak is true.
I would be so happy for Issac. Then i'd have 2 of my 3.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If the Gematsu leak is 100% real, then this is easily the worst batch of newcomers in the history of the series.
I'm sure these newcomers are just so much more terrible than that time we got six blatant, unoriginal clones, a crappy Mewtwo, some unknown Japanese sword guy, that random Zelda transformation, the Ice Climbers (I mean who cares?), some weird obscure 2D shadow man who isn't very good, two damsels in distress and Bowser. Who also isn't very good. Where are Wario and Diddy and Banjo?

Or how about that time we got another Fox clone, another Link, and some dumb robot instead of Ridley and Mega Man and Geno and Isaac and Krystal? Where's that third third party we were all expecting? And only 18 newcomers? Blasphemy. I wanted forty-something characters.

People always complain about the rosters until they don't anymore. And then they will with the next game.

At least they all seem like they'll be original and we'll be getting DLC.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If they have Chrom and Chorus Kids and not Mewtwo and Ridley then I won't buy this game. I wouldn't have enough faith in Sakurai to actually make a decent game anymore.
I think you may be exaggerating a little bit there.
I don't think you'll be able to pass up a new Smash Bros game.

Gamer YTP

Smash Rookie
NNID
GTP376Number2
I think Shulk and Chrom are the only one's from the Gematsu Leak that make sense personally.

I would be very surprised if Chorus Men are revealed. Mainly because I was very Anti-Pac Man and was pretty impressed that he was given a decent moveset with little to work with. Chorus Men might be a lot more tricky to piece a moveset together with, but I would still be alright with his inclusion.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Well they added Little Mac, Mega Man and Pac Man so i can safely say that i can't be dissapointed with this roster.
Furthermore they separated Charizard and included Greninja, Rosalina, Villager and Palutena.

Yeah, this roster is far from dissapointing.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Adding Little Mac and Palutena is enough to make me happy, although Mewtwo will make the game for me.

And uncouth character selection doesn't make a "bad" game, just a disappointing roster for whoever doesn't like the newcomers.
Characters are a big part of Smash, but its amazing gameplay is what makes it so timeless.

And thank you @ N3ON N3ON .

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm sure these newcomers are just so much more terrible than that time we got six blatant, unoriginal clones, a crappy Mewtwo, some unknown Japanese sword guy, that random Zelda transformation, the Ice Climbers (I mean who cares?), some weird obscure 2D shadow man who isn't very good, two damsels in distress and Bowser. Who also isn't very good. Where are Wario and Diddy and Banjo?

Or how about that time we got another Fox clone, another Link, and some dumb robot instead of Ridley and Mega Man and Geno and Isaac and Krystal? Where's that third third party we were all expecting? And only 18 newcomers? Blasphemy. I wanted forty-something characters.

People always complain about the rosters until they don't anymore. And then they will with the next game.

At least they all seem like they'll be original and we'll be getting DLC.
You don't have to patronize me for having an opinion you don't like.

I would expect you to be more reasonable than that.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
If they have Chrom and Chorus Kids and not Mewtwo and Ridley then I won't buy this game. I wouldn't have enough faith in Sakurai to actually make a decent game anymore.
That's kind of a subjective thing don't you think? to dismiss this game's quality just because of the roster not filling your expectations?, i mean Sakurai cannot possibly please everyone, and as far as quality goes i don't believe i have ever played a Sakurai game that didn't feel as if it was made with dedication. And this doesn't look like it's going to be the exception so far.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'd probably still buy the game regardless...

But I'd be incredibly disappointed with Sakurai's decisions. I think the newcomers we have so far are pretty good for the most part, and the rest of the ones from the Gematsu leak are decent enough, but I feel like certain other characters (Mewtwo) should be higher priorities.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Keep in mind that Gematsu didn't mention Rosalina, and only talks about newcomers (with the exception of Lucas cut).

There's still a chance for K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, whoever. I for one am still betting on Mewtwo.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I'm sorry if it singled you out, but I'm really patronizing everyone who acts like this roster is the worst thing to ever happen to Smash, which people forget is the reaction that always happens and which always dissipates after release.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

But that's how the internet works. :troll:

In all seriousness, she is just stating a point.

People said the same things about Melee and Brawl.

They still bought them.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
The only character that I dislike on the leak is Chrom (now that the Mii's are revealed, I can't put them on here anymore) but hopefully Sal's leaker just heard something about a lord in Fire Emblem Awakening and mistaked it to be Chrom.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I would only buy the 3DS version if this is really all we're getting.
To be fair, pretty much every character on the roster has been completely unexpected.

The two most hyped newcomers belong to other companies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If the Gematsu leak is 100% real, then this is easily the worst batch of newcomers in the history of the series.
I think the Mii's are going to make this game have lasting power for many casual gamers. It also is a nice hook for people that have not participated in the series.

Also, with veterans getting more significant tweaks and the newcomers (while not as well known as big Nintendo mascots) having diverse playstyles, I think this game is going to be fun and fairly deep (at least when it comes to variety from character to character). We have a projectile-based character, a trap-based character, a puppet character, and an all-in ground game character.

I think this game is shaping up to be really fun. But there are no big name characters besides Megaman and Pac-Man (both of which are third party and not on the box art).

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would only buy the 3DS version if this is really all we're getting.
To be fair, pretty much every character on the roster has been completely unexpected.

The two most hyped newcomers belong to other companies.
Little Mac and Palutena belong to Nintendo. :p

Greninja'd.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm sorry if it singled you out, but I'm really patronizing everyone who acts like this roster is the worst thing to ever happen to Smash, which people forget is the reaction that always happens and which always dissipates after release.
I know. I didn't say that I am not buying this game, I said that if Gematsu is all we are getting and there is no Mewtwo, I will not get the game. But I don't think that is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom