• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Never heard of Melee I see.
Melee would never have the worst newcomers for me, because Roy. ROOOY!!

Which, in turn, made me interested in the FE series (FE6 was my first. Hey, it does share some similarities to the first game. I ain't missing much =P). And of course Project M came with Roy.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Am I the only person who expects no other newcomers than the remaining leaked characters (and returning veteran Mewtwo) and would be happy with that? We also get DLC characters if the Sal leak is true, so that's pretty cool.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Did the leak explicitly say DLC "characters"?
Just curious.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Am I the only person who expects no other newcomers than the remaining leaked characters (and returning veteran Mewtwo) and would be happy with that? We also get DLC characters if the Sal leak is true, so that's pretty cool.
I'd be happy. Little Mac alone does it for me, really. Chorus Kids make me absolutely ecstatic though.

I'm bugged about the possible lack of Lucas and Snake, however, and I really hope they aren't cut.

Morbi

Scavenger
You would be happy with less? I suppose you are not the only one, many believe the Gematsu leak and no other newcomers; although, I would assert that Mewtwo; in this specific instance, is more or less counted as a newcomer as the veterans alluded to are presumed to be Brawl veterans. Regardless, you might be the only one happy with this notion. I do not really see anyone jumping for joy.

DLC characters are the only reason that I am not entirely disappointed. Sakurai is probably trying to emulate Call of Duty: Ghosts DLC methodology.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
People would also be complaining for Mr. Game and Watch if he was a newcomer, but in the end people accepted him and now they even consider him as a must. So yeah if Sakurai opts for the Chorus Kids, it's probably to promote that series, since both DK and Metroid are already well represented, wich might explain him not including K. Rool or Ridley.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'd argue Super Smash Bros. in general does the opposite, which is Super Smash Bros. causing a character to gain fame.
This x100

Case in point: Rosalina.

Before her inclusion she was just another Mario character who shared too many similarities to Peach to be seriously considered.

Now she's the greatest thing that has happened to the Mario series since Super Mario 64 released.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I really don't like the idea of DLC characters, especially if you have to pay for them, but we'll see.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Eh, whatever.

I don't think a character's fame is what gets them into Smash Bros anymore.

Maybe at one point, but not anymore.
I'm not really sure tbh.

We certainly had some different choices in the past. If Sakurai wanted a FE clone in Melee, why didn't he choose Leif (who has appearances in two games, and a recent Lord at the time)? Oh, but Roy stood out more in terms of visuals and his fire properties, so I guess fame didn't matter in that sense. Unless if we've been lied to, and IS pushed for Roy, but I don't have any info on that matter. Who knows really...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This x100

Before her inclusion she was just another Mario character who shared too many similarities to Peach to be seriously considered.

Now she's the greatest thing that has happened to the Mario series since Super Mario 64 released.
I disagree with this entirely.

Rosalina was very popular before Smash.

In fact, her role was in the original SMG was highly praised, as Mario had never had a character like her before.

Morbi

Scavenger
People would also be complaining for Mr. Game and Watch if he was a newcomer, but in the end people accepted him and now they even consider him as a must. So yeah if Sakurai opts for the Chorus Kids, it's probably to promote that series, since both DK and Metroid ware already well represented, wich might explain him not including K. Rool or Ridley.
Define "well represented," does that entail the main character alone? I suppose that would be the case in such franchises as Pikmin. However, I am not sure that that notion is applicable to Metroid.

As for Game & Watch, not everyone feels that way which makes that sentiment subjective. For instance, I still labor disdain for his character and I do not perceive him as a necessary.

Weeman

Smash Crusader

In fact, her role was in the original SMG was highly praised, as Mario had never had a character like her before.
I agree, this was even proved by the fact that she was playable in Super Mario 3d world, as well as fans complaining that she wasn't present in SMG2 outside like 2 scenes.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
This x100

I'd argue that she was pretty popular beforehand, but being playable in 3D World made her skyrocket in terms of importance and popularity.

Nintendo was pushing for her so her inclusion isn't as much of a surprise. That said, I think her inclusion in Smash is another step to her growth as a character that Nintendo wants, and not as a result of her being a big name character.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Food for thought. How about we accept unique newcomers coming our way and not be jerks about what people want to believe? Completely disregarding whether or not the leak is true.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559

I never said she wasn't popular beforehand.

The fact of the matter is that Rosalina didn't have nearly as large of a fanbase as she does now after her inclusion.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I never said she wasn't popular beforehand.

The fact of the matter is that Rosalina didn't have nearly as large of a fanbase as she does now after her inclusion.
I haven't noticed that. But that is probably the case.

Food for thought. How about we accept unique newcomers coming our way and not be jerks about what people want to believe? Completely disregarding whether or not the leak is true.
Or we could accept unique newcomers that people actually want. It's very possible, as Mega Man has proven.

Last edited by a moderator:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Define "well represented," does that entail the main character alone? I suppose that would be the case in such franchises as Pikmin. However, I am not sure that that notion is applicable to Metroid.

As for Game & Watch, not everyone feels that way which makes that sentiment subjective. For instance, I still labor disdain for his character and I do not perceive him as a necessary.
I meant as in they already promote their franchise well, then again you could say the same about any franchise only needing 1 character so yes it's still subjective sorry. As for Mr. Game and Watch i have seen many people who would dread his exclusion, so i assume that he has become a favorite for many fans, even if no one would have really added him to their rosters back in Melee.

Morbi

Scavenger
I do not find them overly unique to be honest; however, I will accept them regardless of the validity of the leak.

Guys who is Ridley. Whozzat? Some kinda Metroid enemy or

Ridley is the robot-esque character to the LEFT shooting at the purple space dragon that is not so purple. He is so cool.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
You would be happy with less? I suppose you are not the only one, many believe the Gematsu leak and no other newcomers; although, I would assert that Mewtwo; in this specific instance, is more or less counted as a newcomer as the veterans alluded to are presumed to be Brawl veterans. Regardless, you might be the only one happy with this notion. I do not really see anyone jumping for joy.

DLC characters are the only reason that I am not entirely disappointed. Sakurai is probably trying to emulate Call of Duty: Ghosts DLC methodology.
Less than what? The question you pose in the first sentence implies I'm being given choices. If we got Sal + some others, I'd be happy. If we got just Sal, I'd still be happy. If it were up to me, I'd choose the first option, of course. While the second is inferior and I wouldn't choose it over the first, that doesn't mean its bad, just that the other option is better. However, there isn't a choice to be made, really.

Hope that's somewhat intelligible.

D

Deleted member

Ridley is the robot-esque character to the right shooting at the purple space dragon that is not so purple. He is so cool.
You are mistaken; Ridley is the lettering above the robot-like character that reads "Super Metroid." A "ridley" is a term used to describe titles on video game box art.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I do not find them overly unique to be honest; however, I will accept them regardless of the validity of the leak.

Ridley is the robot-esque character to the right shooting at the purple space dragon that is not so purple. He is so cool.
I thought that was Metroid? :troll:

D

Deleted member

Ness never was, and never has been well known as a Nintendo icon. Falcon could have been if they decided to make him the SNES Mascot like originally planned, but that never came to be, and F-Zero has been dormant for almost a decade.

EDIT: Oh that was a joke. Sorry. Ignore me, move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
Less than what? The question you pose in the first sentence implies I'm being given choices. If we got Sal + some others, I'd be happy. If we got just Sal, I'd still be happy. If it were up to me, I'd choose the first option, of course. While the second is inferior and I wouldn't choose it over the first, that doesn't mean its bad, just that the other option is better. However, there isn't a choice to be made, really.

Hope that's somewhat intelligible.
Less than what we are accustomed to, I suppose. Our discernible expectations prior to the Direct.

It does not imply any such thing; perhaps you misconstrued the intent of the message?

Somewhat. :awesome:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Or we could accept unique newcomers that people actually want. It's very possible, as Mega Man has proven.
So Mega Man, Palutena, Little Mac, and possibly Chrom and Shulk don't do it for you? And you also can't take away Miis and Pac-Man's popularity, regardless of the Boards's opinion on them. I think we have a good batch of newcomers that people wanted. Even if the leak isn't true, we still got 3 bigwigs. I think that's pretty good. But then again, to each his own. I'm just saying that despite Wii Fit Trainer, Chorus Kids, and "Bland Chrom", we have popular newcomers.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So Mega Man, Palutena, Little Mac, and possibly Chrom and Shulk don't do it for you? And you also can't take away Miis and Pac-Man's popularity, regardless of the Boards's opinion on them. I think we have a good batch of newcomers that people wanted. Even if the leak isn't true, we still got 3 bigwigs. I think that's pretty good. But then again, to each his own. I'm just saying that despite Wii Fit Trainer, Chorus Kids, and "Bland Chrom", we have popular newcomers.
I'm not denying any of those characters' popularity. But if we don't like a character for the sake of uniqueness, we don't have to accept it.

D

Deleted member

I have no problem with the roster being less than 50, and Sal leak being the only newcomers. They all make since to some extent, and even though I find Chrom to be an extremely bland character, as well as having little originality in his possible moveset, it makes since to include him to appeal to newer FE fans; the ones that started the series with Awakening.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Idk. Japan eats Rhythm Tengoku up so they'll probably love Chorus Kids, Wii Fit Trainer is recognizable by anyone who played Wii Fit which was a huge success and believe it or not, Chrom IS still pretty popular from what I noticed, especially to the crowd that started the series with Awakening.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I haven't noticed that. But that is probably the case.
Fun fact: The Rosalina support thread was open for nearly a year and a half and only reached 363 replies, which isn't much at all as far as support threads go. For comparison purposes the Little Mac support thread had over 1,500 replies before his inclusion.

6 months later after her release the post count is up to 1,556... The thread essentially quadrupled in size in 1/3 of the time.

No Smash 4 newcomer has blown up in popularity like Rosalina has, other than WFT which isn't a fair comparison considering she never really had a support base in the first place.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Idk. Japan eats Rhythm Tengoku up so they'll probably love Chorus Kids, Wii Fit Trainer is recognizable by anyone who played Wii Fit which was a huge success and believe it or not, Chrom IS still pretty popular from what I noticed.
Chrom did place first in that Japanese Awakening poll for favorite first-gen male character, so that's something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom