• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Another factor to consider with the Gematsu leak is that some, if not most, people believe it partly to save themselves the disappointment of either their favorite characters not becoming playable and/or characters they don't want on the roster are going to become playable according to the leak.
Furthermore, I would argue the vast majority of believers are hoping, not expecting, the leak to miss newcomers (Rosalina is the only example of this occurring).

Combine both of these factors, and it alleviates some of the disappointment people will face in the end.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I guess we're (or at least I am?) under the assumption that there are to be more newcomers than the Sal leak ones, which are just kept secret until release (I think some the CSS comparisons give that vibe, at least), but another point towards this would actually be if all the rest of Sal's predictions are revealed pre-release. There's bound to be something left secret and at that point we'd know that it's something out of the Sal leak, since all the characters on that would be revealed. Though I can't see them showing all Chrom, Shulk and Chorus Men within three months so we'll see.
If there isn't any secret newcomers there's something wrong.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
People will deny this leak even if everything on it comes true.

There is still a possibility that there are characters yet to revealed that are not on the rumored list (like Rosalina).

Then again, maybe Rosalina and Luma were lower priority until the development team were able to get the IC's working correctly on the 3DS. Once that problem was solved, a puppeteer character would have less hurdles. Hence, why she was not on any of the leaks.

In any case, I believe this rumor and I do think that we will get Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Kids.

Groose

Smash Champion
This reminds me of the controversy surrounding the Ptolemaic system; a geocentric model that stagnated astronomy for centuries as it plagued the art of astronomy with misconceptions about the planetary orbits. There was nothing objective to disprove the theory; so instead of finding the inconsistencies, it was just accepted.

Replace "Ptolemaic system" with "Gematsu leak" and replace "a geocentric model" with "predictions." Obviously the equivalent to astronomy is "speculation." Planetary orbits = roster.

This reminds me of the controversy surrounding the Gematsu leak; predictions that stagnated speculation for centuries as it plagued the art of speculation with misconceptions about the roster. There was nothing objective to disprove the theory, so instead of finding the inconsistencies, it was just accepted.

Funny, is it not?
I see one pretty major flaw in that analogy, Morbid.

The Ptolemaic System was proven to be false. The Gematsu Leak will prove to be real.

Of course, I just played that up for dramatic effect. I'm on #TeamReal, but there are definitely some valid flaws with the leak. I'm not really interested in discussing it now because it's really getting to be a worn issue, and I'll have to do it tomorrow in Rate Their Chances as well. I take my leave of this thread for now.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, in Brawl, there were four secret newcomers (Toon Link, Wolf, Lucario, and R.O.B.).

But any of the three remaining Sal newcomers could be hidden as well.
More like 4 just like last time.

Keep in mind of the third-party newcomers too, and another newcomer is going to be revealed in August.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Another factor to consider with the Gematsu leak is that some, if not most, people believe it partly to save themselves the disappointment of either their favorite characters not becoming playable and/or characters they don't want on the roster are going to become playable according to the leak.
Furthermore, I would argue the vast majority of believers are hoping, not expecting, the leak to miss newcomers (Rosalina is the only example of this occurring).

Combine both of these factors, and it alleviates some of the disappointment people will face in the end.
Pretty much,

And i think we could even contribute the lack of rosalina possibly being hidden from the guy sal got his information from. In the treehouse live stream nate even said there were some characters within the treehouse they couldnt even mention outside of certain parts, as in they have layers of secrecy even within their group of devs.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Speaking of hidden characters, since we're not getting a Subspace Emissary-like story mode, this could mean that we might end up getting less unlockable characters than Brawl, but so that most are actually well hidden like in Melee. I'll say 8-12 unlockable characters would be a good bet. Also i think that the Chorus Kids are going to be like Mr.Game and Watch in Melee and will be the hardest character to unlock.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I don't think it is easy to just chalk the Sal rumor to be lucky guesses. None of his guesses have been revealed as Assist Trophies. He has all but three revealed as correct.

And I personally like the DLC bit in the rumor.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
And I personally like the DLC bit in the rumor.
It actually kind of bothers me I don't want to have to purchase one character for the 3DS version and turn around and have to purchase the same character for the Wii U version.
Until they announce a cross-buy like system I'm gonna be a little nervous about it.

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
I believe the Gematsu leak is true, but I don't think the newcomers listed will be the only newcomers we get. Ex. Rosalina, his source said nothing about Rosalina, but other newcomers instead. This could also go for K.Rool, Ridley, Ect. But plain out saying the the Gematsu leak is fake is hillarious to me.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
So, Marth, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, and Little Mac all show up on the box art. So they're starters.

What about Toon Link, Lucario, Greninja, and Palutena? Also starters?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
View attachment 16298

Speaking of rosters, here is mine!

NOTES:
Blue is for starters, Green is for unlockables and Purple is for DLC.
Mii Fighters are separated due to being customizable.
The third part of the leak never truly did say that Lucas is cut so I just put him there just for hope.
So, rate, comment, like, subscribe.
Rosalina is a starter. She's on the cover art.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So, Marth, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, and Little Mac all show up on the box art. So they're starters.

I think all the revealed characters so far besides perhaps the third parties will be starters. There is only the Ice Climbers, Wario, Meta Knight and Lucas left until release really from Brawl's starter lineup (Maybe Ness and Captain Falcon too)... The rest will probably be unlockables I'd assume...

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Yes, I think so.
I think all revealed characters so far are starters.
Then, of course, whoever is revealed in August.

Morbi

Scavenger
I believe the Gematsu leak is true, but I don't think the newcomers listed will be the only newcomers we get. Ex. Rosalina, his source said nothing about Rosalina, but other newcomers instead. This could also go for K.Rool, Ridley, Ect. But plain out saying the the Gematsu leak is fake is hillarious to me.
Plain out saying the? the Gematsu leak is real is hillarious? to me.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
What I wonder the most is, if the leak is true, then why Chorus Kids? I'm not discrediting them, but why would he choose them?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
What I wonder the most is, if the leak is true, then why Chorus Kids? I'm not discrediting them, but why would he choose them?
I'm kind of guessing he meant Marshall.
Kind of like he got "X/Y Pokemon" he may have had incomplete information.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Why Ice Climbers? Sakurai probably thought he could do something cool with them.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Because no one would expect them, even if people wanted a Rythm Heaven rep, most people would probably go with the Wrestler, Karate Joe or even Marshal.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't really know much about Rhythm Heaven, but apparently it's a fairly popular and well received series. I suppose it makes some sense to include a character.

I'm much more curious as to why Sakurai would choose Chrom as a Fire Emblem newcomer.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I don't really know much about Rhythm Heaven, but apparently it's a fairly popular and well received series. I suppose it makes some sense to include a character.

I'm much more curious as to why Sakurai would choose Chrom as a Fire Emblem newcomer.
If Chrom used a spear or ax then he'd make more sense to me.

Morbi

Scavenger
I suppose at that point he would be trying to prove a point; the Ice Climbers were giving him difficulty, so it was not enough to make them work, he just HAD to make a trio work. So first he enacted his masterful plan of cutting an extremely prominent Nintendo character, Pokemon Trainer. This would enable him to feel better about adding a trio into the series so that the concept was not redundant. After that, having 3-5 (Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Fighters) unnamed newcomers was not enough. He wanted more than one quarter of the newcomers to have no name. Chorus Men just made sense at that point. It is probably going to be really fun having 12 of the same character on the screen though, especially if they do not have names! Chorus Men 5 and 9 are my favorites personally.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Well considering how much they ponder the "Falchion's power" topic in Awakening, i'm guessing they would just go with the Falchion for Chrom as well.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think that's kind of unlikely. Ike could use an axe in his game just like Chrom can use a spear in Awakening. Clearly, that aspect was overlooked when making Ike into a Smash characters, and I think Chrom will be given similar treatment.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I think that's kind of unlikely. Ike could use an axe in his game just like Chrom can use a spear in Awakening. Clearly, that aspect was overlooked when making Ike into a Smash characters, and I think Chrom will be given similar treatment.
I meant in Awakening not this game.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
What a year to be a proctologist. The patients will be flowing into offices do to an increase in severe cases of butthurt, now that portions of the Sal rumor are being confirmed every couple of months.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
btb-rh-02-380x380.jpg

I will be enraged if Chorus Kids are legitimately the RH character and not this.

The Wrestler would make sense since he's a wrestler, which would make so much sense since, you know, this is a fighting game.
Plus he would actually be visually distinct.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Because no one would expect them, even if people wanted a Rythm Heaven rep, most people would probably go with the Wrestler, Karate Joe or even Marshal.
I suppose the most prominent and wanted Rhythm Heaven characters were just too mainstream for Sakurai. It does make me wonder why we did not get the Koopalings before getting Rosalina though; I mean, no one expects the Koopalings! Not only that, but having 28 characters on the screen at the same time would certainly prove his point. If I believed that the 12 Chorus Men would fit on one of the smaller 3DS stages, I would have supported the Koopalings long ago. I suppose it is too late now.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Chrom and Shulk were pretty likely to begin with.
A Rhythm Heaven enemy makes a playable character very likely.

If it weren't for Chorus Men, people would probably believe the last part.
And Chorus Men are looking pretty likely at the moment...

Jeez I can't wait.

And from a big RH fan, Chorus Men are not only more fitting to represent RH, but Wrestler wouldn't really represent it well at all.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
View attachment 16306

I will be enraged if Chorus Kids are legitimately the RH character and not this.

The Wrestler would make sense since he's a wrestler, which would make so much sense since, you know, this is a fighting game.
Plus he would actually be visually distinct.
I think that's exactly the reason they probably wouldn't go with him. If I recall correctly, Sakurai stated at some point that he'd like to include some characters you usually wouldn't expect to fight or something along those lines.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Chorus men actually sing. In order to represent Rhythm Heaven, a singing move here or there makes much sense.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Chrom and Shulk were pretty likely to begin with.
A Rhythm Heaven enemy makes a playable character very likely.

If it weren't for Chorus Men, people would probably believe the last part.
And Chorus Men are looking pretty likely at the moment...

Jeez I can't wait.

And from a big RH fan, Chorus Men are not only more fitting to represent RH, but Wrestler wouldn't really represent it well at all.
Nah, I still wouldn't believe it. I honestly like the idea of the Chorus Men, it's just that until Chrom is revealed to be playable, I have no personal gain of believing this leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom