• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Okay as long as he didn't say "I'm only making twelve newcomers noobs" then I think there will be more.
Okay... here is what Sakurai has said..

“It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive…. In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.”

He also said this..

“I can answer that: no. We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point. Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go. We can’t because of the amount of work it takes. However, I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character. So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it’s good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans.”

With this I think the leak is all we are getting.. heck before the leak was pretty much confirmed at this year's E3 I was sure we were only getting 44 characters or less. Now, I am hopeful for 47 + random. But I cannot see it going beyond 50, at least a first.. maybe with DLC... but even then I would only expect past characters.. like Roy, Mewtwo.. and Lucas if he is cut.. nobody brand new.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Keep in mind that people expected a lot more from Brawl than what we got.

We seem to be pretty accurate with what we expect (48-52 for most of us).
I can't see us getting less than 48 personally. I CAN see us getting exactly 48, however.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I don't know, I have a gut feeling there's more to this leak. Could just be hope, but I just feel like there is more to come.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
I'm going to go with the mindset that someone else on this thread had. I'll expect ONLY the confirmed characters and gematsu leak at this point, and if another verteran or newcomer is revealed, then thats just another treat. I want to avoid predicting a large roster and setting myself up for dissapointment.

Sometimes you just have to remember all the amazing characters they ALREADY put in the game and not the ones you are hoping for. Honestly additions like Mega Man and Pac-Man already make this game for me. Theres only 3 months left until release. If we get new characters, great. If we don't, great. I'm still going to buy the game and I'm still going to enjoy it. :grin:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Okay... here is what Sakurai has said..

“It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive…. In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.”

He also said this..

“I can answer that: no. We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point. Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go. We can’t because of the amount of work it takes. However, I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character. So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it’s good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans.”

With this I think the leak is all we are getting.. heck before the leak was pretty much confirmed at this year's E3 I was sure we were only getting 44 characters or less. Now, I am hopeful for 47 + random. But I cannot see it going beyond 50, at least a first.. maybe with DLC... but even then I would only expect past characters.. like Roy, Mewtwo.. and Lucas if he is cut.. nobody brand new.
We'll see, 51 seems logical to me but it's Sakurai's decision. Maybe it's because I'm overly optimistic but this can't be all we're getting.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You're talking about the Gematsu leak, I don't really expect a veteran from the leaker, all I see Salromano getting is veteran cuts and newcomers.
I don't expect Mewtwo from Sal.
It's just a bit of a special case.
We'll see, 51 seems logical me but it's Sakurai's decision. Maybe it's because I'm overly optimistic but this can't be all were getting.
"All we're getting"

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm going to go with the mindset that someone else on this thread had. I'll expect ONLY the confirmed characters and gematsu leak at this point, and if another verteran or newcomer is revealed, then thats just another treat. I want to avoid predicting a large roster and setting myself up for dissapointment.

Sometimes you just have to remember all the amazing characters they ALREADY put in the game and not the ones you are hoping for. Honestly additions like Mega Man and Pac-Man already make this game for me. Theres only 3 months left until release. If we get new characters, great. If we don't, great. I'm still going to buy the game and I'm still going to enjoy it. :grin:
It is not about "setting myself up for disappointment," I am going to speculate in favor what I believe to be the case regardless of a leak. There is no reason to keep my expectations low so that I can be "surprised" later. There are already some fairly overt inclusions (such as Ridley) that the leak does not assert. Therefore, based on logic, there is no rational reason for me to pretend that we are only going to get the newcomers illuminated in the leak.

I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. I do not really care about any newcomers anymore. Characters like Zero-Suit Samus and Charizard no longer have detrimental mechanics attached to them, so I interpret them as newcomers anyways. Those characters are far better than any of the characters that we determined as "all-stars." It is still hard to believe that you can actually play as characters like Zelda or Ganondorf. I remember prior to Melee, I only thought that Link was plausible. Oh how I was so very incorrect.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
We'll see, 51 seems logical to me but it's Sakurai's decision. Maybe it's because I'm overly optimistic but this can't be all we're getting.
And I am more pessimistic... or restrained as I would prefer to call it. I just can't ignore what Sakurai has said. I'm just happy as things stand now we are probably getting more than I had originally thought.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The only characters I'm really confident in are Brawl vets, Mewtwo, and the remaining Sal newcomers.
Things are looking good for K. Rool, and I'm not sure what to think of Ridley, but in the meantime I'm not setting myself up for possible disappointment. I'm really hyping myself up for how Chorus Kids will play right now.

That's actually what I'm most excited about right now.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Honestly, character selection is a large part of this game for me, but I've been happy with what we received. Mewtwo and Krystal are the only 2 left I want and if they're not there, at least my boy Mac is there for me ;) But seriously, I do enjoy the characters we have and the ones the leak gave us. What I do not like are the cynical people that discredit the game because little Joe Schmoe wasn't included.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would have bought this game if it was simply an improved version of Brawl.
I mean that wholeheartedly.

Of course it's more exciting to get new characters, which is really what makes the game so exciting for everyone. However I'm already content with what we have. I have Mac. I have Palutena. I'm probably getting Rhythm Heaven representation. If I get Mewtwo I'm literally set. K. Rool and a Ridley are icing on the cake.

Character selection just makes me more excited about the game. I'm buying it no matter what. I like that Sakurai is taking liberties with character choices. We don't know what to expect anymore, and it makes things a lot more interesting.

Of course I still want the expected, and we've got quite a bit of it. But surprises like Greninja, Rosalina, and Chorus Kids are really great, and I love seeing people fall in love with these characters as they see their true potential.

Sakurai does have the greatest job in the world. I see now that he isn't just talking about retro characters. He can literally make something popular just by adding it into the game. Xenoblade, Rhythm Heaven, Gen 6... They need attention. It's Sakurai's job to show everyone just how great some Nintendo games are, by introducing people to it through Smash Bros.

Just as he has done for me. Phew, getting a little deep there.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Honestly, I know absolutely nothing about Shulk. With that being said, he is the newcomer I want to play as the most and I have no idea why. Maybe it's his weapon. That pretty pretty weapon, ( someone please enlighten me on the name :p)

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Honestly, I know absolutely nothing about Shulk. With that being said, he is the newcomer I want to play as the most and I have no idea why. Maybe it's his weapon. That pretty pretty weapon, ( someone please enlighten me on the name :p)
The Monado. It's pretty legit.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Monado

EDIT::4greninja:'d

Last edited:

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
I'd honestly be fine with our current roster so long as all of the Smash 64 and Melee vets made a return (possibly one of the forgotten five from Melee as well). Honestly, characters aren't the most important aspect of Super Smash Bros. to me; it's seeing them and the franchises that they came from all being represented in this one (or two, I should say) big game(s). I could literally spend hours upon hours just collecting trophies and reading their witty descriptions, to me that's what Super Smash Bros. is about. Bringing out the best in Nintendo and gaming in general's finest and exposing them to a much broader audience. With there being two games with two entirely different sets of trophies and single player modes, I'll be perfectly content with there being no more newcomers. So long as no series that previously had representation in Smash loses that representation here, I'll be perfectly happy with what I get. Oh, and more Earthbound trophies would be a nice addition. Seriously, Brawl had, like, five.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
As much as I want the chorus kids, Id love to see everyone go crazy if they are NOT in the game. I mean, I believe they are, but I think itd be funny to see people get really confused and disoriented.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Hey, did we ever get video confirmation on Chunky Kong being an assist trophy?

I mean that, along with Kremlings in Smash Run and Bamco's love for oldschool donkey kong titles, could mean at least something for K Rool.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
As much as I want the chorus kids, Id love to see everyone go crazy if they are NOT in the game. I mean, I believe they are, but I think itd be funny to see people get really confused and disoriented.
Aw, that'd be sad. :crying:

I think a lot of people would be happy, which would make me feel even worse.

I don't think many people will see the true potential in the Chorus Kids until after their reveal.
And even then they'll probably be blamed for Ridley's somebody's exclusion.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Warning Received
And then all of the Gematsu supporters would deny it unlike @Opossum who is charming and intelligent.

EDIT: Sorry

Last edited:

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
I love the Chorus Kids as a character. If they are somehow not in, it would be a tad dissapointing for me, but not the end of the world. I still have the 2 RH games to play for entertainment anyways.

The fact that Sneaky Spirits are present in Smash Run still lets me know that Sakurai is aware of the series, and any sort of representation is good enough for me.

Espio264

Smash Ace
I would have bought this game if it was simply an improved version of Brawl.
I mean that wholeheartedly.

Of course it's more exciting to get new characters, which is really what makes the game so exciting for everyone. However I'm already content with what we have. I have Mac. I have Palutena. I'm probably getting Rhythm Heaven representation. If I get Mewtwo I'm literally set. K. Rool and a Ridley are icing on the cake.

Character selection just makes me more excited about the game. I'm buying it no matter what. I like that Sakurai is taking liberties with character choices. We don't know what to expect anymore, and it makes things a lot more interesting.

Of course I still want the expected, and we've got quite a bit of it. But surprises like Greninja, Rosalina, and Chorus Kids are really great, and I love seeing people fall in love with these characters as they see their true potential.

Sakurai does have the greatest job in the world. I see now that he isn't just talking about retro characters. He can literally make something popular just by adding it into the game. Xenoblade, Rhythm Heaven, Gen 6... They need attention. It's Sakurai's job to show everyone just how great some Nintendo games are, by introducing people to it through Smash Bros.

Just as he has done for me. Phew, getting a little deep there.
Very refreshing post good sir. Bravo.

There's nothing you can do that can't be done.
There's nothing you can sing that can't be sung.
Nothing you can say, but you can learn how to play the game.
It's easy. All You Need Is Mewtwo.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Newcomer wise, I think we'll be getting Chrom, Shulk, Chorus Men, Mewtwo, Ridley, and maybe K. Rool.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'd honestly be fine with our current roster so long as all of the Smash 64 and Melee vets made a return (possibly one of the forgotten five from Melee as well). Honestly, characters aren't the most important aspect of Super Smash Bros. to me; it's seeing them and the franchises that they came from all being represented in this one (or two, I should say) big game(s). I could literally spend hours upon hours just collecting trophies and reading their witty descriptions, to me that's what Super Smash Bros. is about. Bringing out the best in Nintendo and gaming in general's finest and exposing them to a much broader audience. With there being two games with two entirely different sets of trophies and single player modes, I'll be perfectly content with there being no more newcomers. So long as no series that previously had representation in Smash loses that representation here, I'll be perfectly happy with what I get. Oh, and more Earthbound trophies would be a nice addition. Seriously, Brawl had, like, five.
First, I think I agree with your point. For me, I don't play ssb JUST for the character but for the game itself (long story but I consider the whole game being a masterpiece; not parts of it).

Second, ouch I didn't think that earthbound had less trophies than paper mario (which imo, has a serious problem of getting representation because it should deserve more than trophies). But earthbound... actually, I don't understand how repping has gotten in brawl there's some odd issues like these that I hope got fixed in this game.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Is Palutena a heavyweight? Like a super-heavyweight such as the likes of Bowser, DK, King DeDeDe and Charizard?

We need our new heavyweight!

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Being surprised at me hating Shulk.
Blame the fact that I just can't stand anime swordsmen that try too hard to be cool or stoic(Guts from Berserk, ANY FF protagonist, FE, even Link to an extent(though that's because the game won't let me FAIL. I remember I ran around Skyloft for literally an HOUR trying to lose the initial race at the start of the game, and still managed to swoop in 'just in time' to snatch the prize from Groose. If I were able to lose the race it would have injected some reality and additional drama). I guess I just dislike being told I'm awesome and cool rather than proving it(or being outright wrong about it, see Spec Ops: The Line). My particular favorite is 'Spice and Wolf'. The craziest thing to happen in that one combat-wise is Lawrence gets stabbed in the gut and he kicks someone else in the goonies. No crazy mid-air combo here.

I know you weren't trying to sort anything, but I attempted to sort your roster.

Mac is next to DK characters because Punch Out Wii.
Villager is next to Mac because Punch Out is available in Animal Crossing.
Shulk is between Chrom and Ness because Japan only RPGs that were localized.

On 3DS Roster, Game & Watch is next to Wario because Game & Wario, and Mario characters cameo in Game & Watch Gallery.
I can dig it. Like I said, I was just putzing around with placement in general, it didn't really tell me much.

I don't think Sakurai cares about what fits on the Character selection screen, he'll put however many characters on that screen as he deems necessary.
So what if it didn't scroll on the demo? It was 20 characters! In brawl the character slots SHRUNK. You gave no legitmate answer to rosalina either so we are in for more newcomers.
The man cares about how his CSS looks. Notice in Brawl everything lined up nicely to ensure the franchises were properly together(and of course I have THE PATTERN lurking in the back of my head). Having it scroll would destroy not just the aesthetics but also the enormity of what we actually do get. Remember, the text needs to be legible too, and the 3DS just doesn't have the screen real estate to match the WiiU.

I also addressed the various possibilities why Rosalina wasn't leaked out with the rest of the 'Gematsu Crew'. He may not have been able to transmit the information at the time. She may have been redundant to leak at the time given that she was one of the few Newcomers fully revealed by Sakurai. The leaker may not have known about her. The leaker may just have thought this list would hype up the West, see Little Mac, Chrom, and Shulk(a game quite popular in the West, a game that sold incredibly well in the West, and a game that the West literally petitioned to get delivered to it) and left out other details. I can't speak to why Rosalina wasn't revealed alongside the rest but it doesn't hurt the leak. Nor does it hurt the idea of 47 + Random.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Hey, did we ever get video confirmation on Chunky Kong being an assist trophy?

I mean that, along with Kremlings in Smash Run and Bamco's love for oldschool donkey kong titles, could mean at least something for K Rool.
I asked this earlier and didn't get a reply. Every time I try and do some research, all I get are a bunch of people arguing with no proof.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The man cares about how his CSS looks. Notice in Brawl everything lined up nicely to ensure the franchises were properly together(and of course I have THE PATTERN lurking in the back of my head). Having it scroll would destroy not just the aesthetics but also the enormity of what we actually do get. Remember, the text needs to be legible too, and the 3DS just doesn't have the screen real estate to match the WiiU.
Well of course Sakurai cares about actually organizing the roster. But just because he makes sure to organize characters together with others from the same series doesn't really mean much for the roster itself. How the character selection screen looks should be, and most likely is, an afterthought after the initial roster is decided.

D

Deleted member

I also addressed the various possibilities why Rosalina wasn't leaked out with the rest of the 'Gematsu Crew'. He may not have been able to transmit the information at the time. She may have been redundant to leak at the time given that she was one of the few Newcomers fully revealed by Sakurai. The leaker may not have known about her. The leaker may just have thought this list would hype up the West, see Little Mac, Chrom, and Shulk(a game quite popular in the West, a game that sold incredibly well in the West, and a game that the West literally petitioned to get delivered to it) and left out other details. I can't speak to why Rosalina wasn't revealed alongside the rest but it doesn't hurt the leak. Nor does it hurt the idea of 47 + Random.
I think a more plausible theory is that she never needed to be leaked. The first leak was basically a leak for E3 2013, but his info was outdated, and not all characters were revealed. He leaked the remaining characters before the Smash Direct, as it was a major news event for Smash. Rosalina had already been revealed at this time. Why "leak" an already confirmed character? I guarantee that if Rosalina was not revealed before the Smash Direct, she would have been a part of leak 2.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Someone should just ask Sal if those are all of the newcomers we are getting? Worth a shot.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Well of course Sakurai cares about actually organizing the roster. But just because he makes sure to organize characters together with others from the same series doesn't really mean much for the roster itself. How the character selection screen looks should be, and most likely is, an afterthought after the initial roster is decided.
Perhaps, but I see the two going a bit more hand-in-hand for a more pleasant UI and user experience. If they did the CSS in the style of SmackDown 2: Know Your Role, then I could easily scrolling being feasible(simply because it's scrolling text with character image next to it, and was designed around that).

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I have this dread feeling that Wolf will be cut, i will not sleep well tonight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom