• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Nope, I don't realize that because it's not true. Being demoted back to an unlockable character is not being nerfed.
Oh haha that's a good one.
Wait you're not serious are you?
if you're being serious then this may deserve a face-palm.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
EDIT: Disregard me I'm a moron, I didn't realize you were talking about his appearance derpaherpderp
Edit Again: Screw it, @ Jason the Yoshi Jason the Yoshi I'd may as well point out how he was actually nerfed, though I took what you were originally saying out of context and that was dumb. To quote the ssb wiki:
"Many of his attacks underwent several nerfs in speed, power, shieldstun and priority: the most dramatic examples being D-air, F-air, and Forward Smash. D-air has a much smaller hitbox, no longer being disjointed, can no longer nipple spike, does not Meteor Smash in the upper hitbox, and is weaker in knockback. F-air is much harder to sweetspot (due to a 1 frame sweetspot duration and only a portion of the hitbox being the sweetspot), hitlag was increased to nearly a full second (which makes it easier to DI), and is slightly weaker in terms of knockback. Forward Smash (along with Up Smash to a lesser degree) was weakened severely (from being the 3rd most powerful overall to the 19th most powerful) in addition to being slower. His traction is lower. Dash speed was reduced slightly (to increase the contrast with Sonic). Falcon Kick no longer renews his double jump after it has already been used. Falcon Punch has less knockback. He is overall a slower and much weaker character. He is considered the most dramatically nerfed character in Brawl along with Ganondorf for both the Brawl physics (no L-canceling, no Moonwalking, less hitstun, and less effective dash dance result in much worse combos, though perhaps the largest factor is the all around buffed shield and dodge mechanics) and the major nerfs he received."
Source

Last edited:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Shall we start speculating on DLC?
Aside from impossible to guess Stages, Assist Trophies, Items, and Soundtracks, the strongest contenders (Even based on how the roster has evolved over the years, my definition of strong does not not match that of Sakurai's or the development team) would probably be Ridley, King K., Mewtwo, Lucas, Snake, Dixie Kong, and Isaac.

This assumes that 1). Gematsu leak is true. 2). Gematsu leak is not missing newcomers. 3). 48 slots are allocated to the initial release roster. 4). Out of the cast, Lucas and Snake are dropped.

If X slots are allocated then pick X of the seven I mentioned. Of course, the character roster shouldn't be strictly limited to the number of slots of the screen, this is only guesswork based on what limited information we have.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Captain Falcon's biggest nerf is Brawl itself. Combos are none-existent and that's pretty much what Falcon excels at.
He got nerfed in other areas but they don't hurt as much hit stun not existing.
Eh, I would prefer Captain Falcon sticking to his GX appearance, it seems like to me each Smash Bros he's appeared in just look like variations of his incarnation in F-Zero X

His Brawl design adopted the scarf and shoulder plate placement. That's about it though iirc.
I agree though, I love his GX desgn.

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
If I was making the roster my only change, based on how things have been progressing, would be to drop Bandana Dee for Isaac. In the end it will be one more new franchise on the roster, albeit at the cost of Lucas ultimately.

Image 7.jpg

I think Bandana Dee still have a chance because he going to appear in a new Kirby game called "Kirby and the Rainbow Curse"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Aside from impossible to guess Stages, Assist Trophies, Items, and Soundtracks, the strongest contenders (Even based on how the roster has evolved over the years, my definition of strong does not not match that of Sakurai's or the development team) would probably be Ridley, King K., Mewtwo, Lucas, Snake, and Isaac.

This assumes that 1). Gematsu leak is true. 2). Gematsu leak is not missing newcomers. 3). 48 slots are allocated to the initial release roster.
I think that this far into the game, Sal's leak can be taken as fact. Nobody guesses WFT, Villager, Miis, and Pacman.

I also think it's very likely it's the full roster.

I do gotta disagree some on your predictions.

First off, I can't see 3rd Party DLC being a thing... but if it's Snake, maybe. But somehow, I doubt it. I think Sakurai's intention with the guest characters this time around is to bring 4 gaming icons into one game, and wants to keep it exclusively like that.

2nd, I think it's most likely the DLC will consist of mainly cut characters. Meaning, Lucas, Squits, Ivy, Mewtwo, and Roy, will all be DLC.

3rd, if we get new content characters for DLC, we'd get two of them maximum, but I don't see Ridley being one of them. Sorry. Isaac seems like a fair contender, as does K.Rool. But not Ridley, I think it's pretty evident Sakurai doesn't wanna work with him.

My thoughts? The DLC will be very limited, probably 3 cut characters (I don't see the trainer's mons returning), and 1-2 fresh faces.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Idk bayonetta feels like a good publicity move as well as kamiya being friends with sakurai.
As cool as she'd be, what makes you so sure she'd get in as DLC, 3rd party DLC even...

EDIT:

Actually, thinking over the DLC. Realize how much content ONE DLC character adds to the game. It's not just the character itself, but also trophies, and music, and custom moves, etc...

I really think we're gonna get like...3ish DLC chars tops. 2-3 most likely, with only one being a fresh face.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
The problem is: Bandana Dee would not have a good moveset.
Not if Sakurai could help it. No, seriously.

Remember when people thought Rosalina, Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Palutena couldn't have good movesets? It certainly doesn't matter who it is, if they are newcomers in this game, part of it is because they were able to add something new to the cast. And they'll likely have some unique element that gives them a good moveset. Heck, Wii Fit Trainer's moveset is certainly something unique if not new; Yoga Poses in battle are pretty interesting if I say so myself.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The problem is: Bandana Dee would not have a good moveset.
I think Bandana Dee would be cool but I think I'd rather have Prince Fluff however unlikely that may be.
It stinks that neither will probably get in as they could both be very unique.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

Remember when people thought Rosalina, Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Palutena couldn't have good movesets? It certainly doesn't matter who it is, if they are newcomers in this game, part of it is because they were able to add something new to the cast. And they'll likely have some unique element that gives them a good moveset. Heck, Wii Fit Trainer's moveset is certainly something unique if not new; Yoga Poses in battle are pretty interesting if I say so myself.
I don't mean any disrespect here, but I saw a moveset potential in pretty much all of those characters, I just don't see one for Bandana Dee. I can see why people want him because Sakurai created his respective franchise, but I just don't see him with a good moveset.

D

Deleted member

Real problem is Bandana Dee wouldn't bring much hype barring from a select group of fans.

If we're talking DLC, Bandana Dee is out.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Not having enough material for a moveset is hardly a factor now. Sakurai's moveset making has reached a new level in this game.

If DLC is really happening, Bandana Dee seems like a prime choice for it.

D

Deleted member

Not having enough material for a moveset is hardly a factor now. Sakurai's moveset making has reached a new level in this game.
To the point where he can make a whole moveset for a character who didn't exist yet, and using only concept art as reference.

D

Deleted member

This is a fresh, completely valid, completely accurate and original argument that has never been used against anyone else nor has been invalidated.
Thanks guy. The four other guys who made the same statement before you certainly weren't enough.

We really did need you to just pile drive it home for us.
*pats back*
:rolleyes:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Ya know, it's kinda scary how similar all these new rosters are compared to the ones that we made prior to the Gematsu leak becoming the law. I guess that is to be expected, but now it's just "Revealed characters + Gematsu + a few other characters of choice(and even then, they're usually the same)" I dunno, it just feels strange after seeing all the varied character choices in the early rosters.

D

Deleted member

The only problem with character DLC is...how long do we have to wait for it before we can get our first one released & how often we get them? Monthly? Weekly? Yearly? When Half-Life 3 comes out? (:troll:)

I already discussed price (If for some reason it wasn't free)

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Real problem is Bandana Dee wouldn't bring much hype barring from a select group of fans.

If we're talking DLC, Bandana Dee is out.
1st and main problem is Sal didn't say that characters had to be hype to be considered.

2nd off, when characters like Chrous men are being added to the game "select group of fans" doesn't seem to matter.

3rd, you can't prove Bandana Dee isn't hype. The fact that he still keeps appearing in games in a row must mean HAL knows he has a following.

As for moveset potential, Sakurai could always pull a mother character and just use all the other Waddle Dees' abilities like Parasol and Beam as well as spear. I even made a moveset like that in the Bandana Dee support thread.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1st and main problem is Sal didn't say that characters had to be hype to be considered.
What?

Since when did Sal make the rules above Sakurai and his board of directors?

Anyway, sauce?

2nd off, when characters like Chrous men are being added to the game "select group of fans" doesn't seem to matter
You're comparing a character appearing on the standard roster where you have no choice over it since it's part of a package, to a character who must sell itself individually. People aren't gonna buy DLC content they're not interested in. I can certainly say that BDee was one of the DLC chars, I'd skip him and save some money.

The rules for DLC are totally different from the rules for the normal roster.

3rd, you can't prove Bandana Dee isn't hype. The fact that he still keeps appearing in games in a row must mean HAL knows he has a following.
Burden of proof falls on you I'm afraid. The fact that he's popular in Kirby games, doesn't prove he's popular enough in the grand scheme of things.

I need some numbers here I'm afraid. Saying "b-but, he keeps appearing in Kirby titles" isn't enough. Yeah, and so do Tingle and Impa, both of whom belong to a more important franchise, and would be more recognizable by the majority of customers.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Ope... didn't even know this existed! So, talking about DLC, I'm hopeful for third-parties like Layton, Snake (if he's not in), or Bayonetta. Sakurai even said himself that he wants smash to be a huge game for gaming's characters, so this brings in a lot of possibilities. Anyways, did Sal officially confirm it was character DLC or was it just some stages or something?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hype not being an important condition is more likely a general observation, as fan demand really does seem to be less of a factor. A lot of character choices were surprising.

D

Deleted member

You know.... now that I think about it. You know I think will be DLC?

Takamaru.

Defintely Takamaru.

New untouched playstyle. Not present in the current build of the game, or in previous games. Very unpredictable compared to K.Rool, Isaac, and the like. Retro character. Can breathe new life and hype to a forgotten franchise...

Imo, DLC will be:

Lucas
Mewtwo
Takamaru

No more, no less, and in that order.

Calling it now, you heard it here first folks.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
You know.... now that I think about it. You know I think will be DLC?

Takamaru.

Defintely Takamaru.
I honestly agree, though I feel like if there's more than 12 newcomers he'll be in the game as 13.
He feels like total untapped potential for a playstyle... and as an older franchise without a new game in years, which Sakurai noted he was considering reviving one.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
What?

Since when did Sal make the rules above Sakurai and his board of directors?

Anyway, sauce?
That was what I was asking you. I'm not saying Bandana Dee will be DLC, I'm saying he is still possible.

You're the one saying that Sakurai only picks hype characters. I was just simply pointing out that Sal gave no extra info on how Sakurai picks characters. He could very well pick a character that is popular within it's own series. He could pick a character just solely on moveset potential. He could pick a character because he thinks fans will be ok with it.

Besides, we can't accurately pinpoint what Sakurai thinks which character is hype. We still don't know whats going on with Ridley for example.

So is Bandana Dee hype enough out of his own series? Well, I can't give you numbers I admit. With that said, I still think Bandana Dee offers enough to be potential DLC.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
You have a Hajime no Ippo avatar and thought Little Mac couldn't have a good moveset being a boxer and all?

For shame. >:[
On the contrary, they were pointing out how Little Mac got a good moveset despite people claiming he "just punches" in response to someone claiming that Bandana Dee wouldn't have a good moveset.

Aeolia

Smash Cadet
Would Bandana Dee supporters be mad if a different character from Kirby appeared? Personally I want to see Galacta Knight clashing with Meta Knight. Perhaps Adeleine so both Bandana Dee and Bowser Jr. supporters get angry xD

D

Deleted member

That was what I was asking you. I'm not saying Bandana Dee will be DLC, I'm saying he is still possible.

You're the one saying that Sakurai only picks hype characters. I was just simply pointing out that Sal gave no extra info on how Sakurai picks characters. He could very well pick a character that is popular within it's own series. He could pick a character just solely on moveset potential. He could pick a character because he thinks fans will be ok with it.

Besides, we can't accurately pinpoint what Sakurai thinks which character is hype. We still don't know whats going on with Ridley for example.

So is Bandana Dee hype enough out of his own series? Well, I can't give you numbers I admit. With that said, I still think Bandana Dee offers enough to be potential DLC.
Oh my Gaaawd...!

This is the exact reason I stopped coming to this thread. The anti-logic that prevails it.

Look man, just cause something 'has a chance' doesn't mean it's likely, nor worth discussing.

You people use the 'Sakurai is unpredictable' card to try and justify the most unlikely and stupid character choices around here. For ****s sake, I remember in the old thread, some idiot was supporting that one head from Brain Age...:rolleyes:

Not to come off as a rude asshole, but either start using reason and facts in your arguments, or let the big boys talk. And I'm not addressing just you here, you're just the example, sorry.

As for Ridley, you guys gotta stop living in denial, it's very clear what his fate is, he's in neither Sal's leak, and the big man himself keeps teasing him as a boss. It's clear he doesn't wanna work with him.

Here:

Start moving onto the other 4 stages... *sigh*

D

Deleted member

Can't wait to see what mods will pop up for the Mii fighters, perhaps someone out there on the internet will give them Mario's overalls, Fox's suit, or a Pikachu costume like Wario!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom