• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
I'm still holding out for Snake his moveset is too good to just be thrown out the window and there is not a single character in Nintendo history that can take his moveset.
Yes chances do look thin but Sakurai and Kojima are a perfect team of trolls.
If you've noticed, they've sort of been working his moves into other parts of the game. ZSS's final smash is like Snake's and the Steel Diver item is like his forward B.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff is not a clone character.
Yes, she is. Better saying, she was. She shared the same neutral moves with Kirby in SSB64. The only moves not shared are the three specials.

Yeah, interesting, to almost the entire community, Jigglypuff 64 is not a clone, even with all Kirby's neutrals, and Wolf, that roughly shares two specials with Fox, and don't share any neutral, is considered a simi clone.

Last edited:

Boofer

Smash Ace
In the past I have presented my roster, showing off my own smash philosophy while adhering to current confirmations.
This is not my roster, this is a prediction roster, since I, for the first time in my smash speculating career, feel comfortable with predicting what I think WILL happen. So, without further ado:

Top is main roster, bottom is possible DLC.
Tell me what you think.
This looks reasonable. I haven't as much faith in Mewtwo's immediate return as some, but I definitely want that to happen. I personally don't think Ridley will be in it. Snake is iffy because of his recent history, but it would be a shame to lose such a unique and fun character. Besides that, I don't believe Mii fighters will have 3 separate slots, but your's is one of the most reasonable given the leaked info.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo, Isaac, King K.Rool, Impa.

Think these will be our final newcomers along what we know off already.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
So... did anyone else notice a lack of Dark Link skins? Not that it's significant or anything, just wanted to point it out.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
So, no G and W on the site today? I'm starting to think that all teased characters will be unlockable. Perhaps they were shown off in a Robot Chicken skit, or a Twitter pic, or at the end of another character's reveal, or as a shadow...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, which excisting series you people think are gonna get characters?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So, no G and W on the site today? I'm starting to think that all teased characters will be unlockable. Perhaps they were shown off in a Robot Chicken skit, or a Twitter pic, or at the end of another character's reveal, or as a shadow...
It would seem odd for starters to be demoted to unlockable status, though that has happened to Ness and Captain Falcon. On the other hand, those two were unlockables in their first Smash Bros. appearance.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
It would seem odd for starters to be demoted to unlockable status, though that has happened to Ness and Captain Falcon. On the other hand, those two were unlockables in their first Smash Bros. appearance.
I wouldn't really consider it a demotion, considering they are still in the game. After all, I think Wario was unlockable in mk7.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I wouldn't really consider it a demotion, considering they are still in the game. After all, I think Wario was unlockable in mk7.
He was, but Wario was a starter again in Mario Kart 8. Last I've checked, no Smash Bros. newcomer who got the starter status has ever been treated as an unlockable in a later installment.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
He was, but Wario was a starter again in Mario Kart 8. Last I've checked, no Smash Bros. newcomer who got the starter status has ever been treated as an unlockable in a later installment.
Well, there was Ness and Captain Falcon.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
It would be one possible explamation as to why we have not seen Wario yet.
Well, there was Ness and Captain Falcon.
I think he meant that no newcomer was ever unlockable. Ness and cap were not introduced in melee.
Edit: Greninja'd

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Captain Falcon and Ness were both starters in Melee.
Ah, Greninja'd

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Well, i'm bummed out guys. Just watched Sakurai S*** all over Sonic by making Palutena faster than him. Now the character iconic for his speed gets outsped, marvolous day indeed.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So I just noticed that Marth is on the boxart. A sign of starter ascension in favor of Chrom / Robin?

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
In that case we'll be seeing Wario, Ice Climbers and Meta Knight (assuming Lucas is cut) revealed before release.
But Lucas can't be cut because no starter has ever been cut. :troll: Them patterns.

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
If you've noticed, they've sort of been working his moves into other parts of the game. ZSS's final smash is like Snake's and the Steel Diver item is like his forward B.
I don't think we've ever actually seen how shiek's smoke grenade works.
Charizard and Bowser both have flame breathe. Charizard and Bowser both are still in the game.

Final Smash for Snake would make way more sense to have it be Metal Gear, especially after MGS4.
These can also be reused. See...uhm..every Star Fox Character in Brawl.

Have not seen any indication of similar smash attacks or other moves.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well, i'm bummed out guys. Just watched Sakurai S*** all over Sonic by making Palutena faster than him. Now the character iconic for his speed gets outsped, marvolous day indeed.
You do need to ask yourself what Palutena's customization options are, since it's possible that she doesn't naturally move that fast.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Dang, Mr Game and Watch wasn't revealed today...

But what the heck, he was in the Pac-Man's trailer, we already know he's in the game as playable. I'm not worried about him that much.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Dang, Mr Game and Watch wasn't revealed today...

But what the heck, he was in the Pac-Man's trailer, we already know he's in the game as playable. I'm not worried about him that much.
Yeah. I thought the same thing. Can easily see him being the next reveal, though.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I believe it is a move actually. She says "Lightweight" but if you watch the trailer a little before that you see her running and she is quite slow.

Niala

Smash Ace
I think it's one of her customization attacks, not her actual run-speed. If you go to the trailer and watch from 1:45-1:50 you'll see her actual run and walk speeds.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
Hmm, if they're trying to put as many characters as possible (game was delayed by 3 months), and DLC is planned, I see 3 cuts from Brawl initially : Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake. Those are the only three that seems extremely likely to be gone.

There's been 32 announced (Pac-Man, Sonic, and Megaman will be unlockable)

4 remaining starters:
  1. Wario
  2. Meta Knight
  3. Ice Climbers
  4. Lucas
That gives 33 starters... with 17 unlockables on initial release.

Unlockables:
  1. Ness
  2. Captain Falcon
  3. Jigglypuff
  4. Mewtwo
  5. Ganondorf
  6. Falco
  7. Wolf
  8. Mr. Game and Watch
  9. R.O.B.
  10. Sonic
  11. Megaman
  12. Pac-Man
  13. Chrom
  14. Shulk
  15. Marshall (Chorus Kids)
  16. King K. Rool
  17. Ridley
13 DLC characters:
  1. Paper Mario
  2. Bowser Jr.
  3. Ivysaur
  4. Squirtle
  5. Dixie Kong
  6. Impa
  7. Krystal
  8. Roy
  9. Takamara
  10. Mach Rider
  11. Chibi-Robo
  12. Issac
  13. Snake
63 slots, 1 random=64. Any cut veterans would likely be DLC. Roy might come back as a nod to Melee... although Pichu might come back as a joke.

If they're making DLC, the characters better be between 55 to 70.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I believe it is a move actually. She says "Lightweight" but if you watch the trailer a little before that you see her running and she is quite slow.
Yep. All of the moves she named in the trailer are probably the custom specials (there's 12 of them), with the exception of the Black Hole + Mega Lazer combo, which seems to be her Final Smash.

Also, am I the only one who thinks it's odd that the Goddess of Light has an attack that creates a Black Hole?

Last edited:

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Not a sonic fan at all nor am I trying to attack Palutena or anything but; was I the only one who thought she was way too OP based on the trailer alone?

I could be wrong and her moves may be just flashy, but the last thing we need is another Meta Knight disaster like last time

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Hi everyone, this is going to sound extremely random, but I felt like sharing.

Today was my last day of High School, and having this experience taught me so many things that will stay with me forever. I just wanted to say that I'm thankful that I'm fortunate enough to have these memories. But the reason I am even typing this is to thank each and every one of you. This forum taught new ways to think and formulate opinions on everything, and your lessons have had such a major impact on me. To the moderaters, the visitors, and to anyone else affiliated with this site, thank you for having such a positive impact on my life. Love you guys, and I appreciate everything that goes on here.

Ok, I apologize for this being out of the blue, but now you can ignore this and go back on topic :)

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Sonic : Rolling arround at the speed of sound, got pl-

*A Green blur pass by Sonic, easily outspeeding him*

Palutena : Speed of light ***** ! :troll:

No seriously, she is that fast ? Where did you see it ?

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I think it's one of her customization attacks, not her actual run-speed. If you go to the trailer and watch from 1:45-1:50 you'll see her actual run and walk speeds.
Ahh I see, I feel much better now. Haha funny how minor details such as this can affect mood so drastically.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Mewtwo, Isaac, King K.Rool, Impa.

Think these will be our final newcomers along what we know off already.
Impa? why Impa? remenber that Impa was way too much like Sheik, the only "unique" Impa is the Hyrule Warrior's Impa, and Sakurai said that he didn't know what characters will be playable in Hyrule Warrior and that they choosed the roster a long time ago, so he wouldn't have known that Impa was in Hyrule Warrior when SSB roster was already made :drshrug:

But we could get her as a DLC :dr^_^:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Why is everyone assuming we are going to have DLC characters?, Sal never said the DLC were characters, and honestly having a roster of 60+ characters seems ridiculous, considering balancing 39 was already a challenge.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Why is everyone assuming we are going to have DLC characters?, Sal never said the DLC were characters, and honestly having a roster of 60+ characters seems ridiculous, considering balancing 39 was already a challenge.
Answer: Bamco and tekken. Bamco would be more than capable of balancing such a large roster.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
What @ Xenorange Xenorange said also... remenber that is easier to balance characters when you already know them (Most of the veterans have the same attacks, so they already know how to fix them thanks to the previews version -Brawl-)

Also... we assume we are going to have DLC characters cause we all know that will sell... and want it or not, Nintendo is a company that likes money :drshrug:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Answer: Bamco and tekken. Bamco would be more than capable of balancing such a large roster.
What @ Xenorange Xenorange said also... remenber that is easier to balance characters when you already know them (Most of the veterans have the same attacks, so they already know how to fix them thanks to the previews version -Brawl-)

Also... we assume we are going to have DLC characters cause we all know that will sell... and want it or not, Nintendo is a company that likes money :drshrug:
The thing is that any character planned for DLC would have to be completed by now, because that's how Sakurai works, they decide the roster very early in development. This means that they would hold all those characters in purpose for the sake of making them DLC, wich would contradict Sakurai's philosophy of making his games as complete as he can when released.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
If we are getting Chrom, Robin or Micaiah better be one of the first DLC available. Smash doesn't represent Fire Emblem well if they do end up adding Chrom.

Oh, and I pray that Palutena is one of the better newcomers. I really hope she is. If not I'll pull a Phoenix Wright from UMvC3 and make her good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom