• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
The thing is that any character planned for DLC would have to be completed by now, because that's how Sakurai works, they decide the roster very early in development. This means that they would hold all those characters in purpose for the sake of making them DLC, wich would contradict Sakurai's philosophy of making his games as complete as he can when released.
Well... we don't really know that, we know that he already have planned the main roster, but we don't know if that also include the DLC characters :drshrug:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
The thing is that any character planned for DLC would have to be completed by now, because that's how Sakurai works, they decide the roster very early in development. This means that they would hold all those characters in purpose for the sake of making them DLC, wich would contradict Sakurai's philosophy of making his games as complete as he can when released.
Well contradictory or not, Sal mentioned Dlc. If his leak is to be believed (which it appears to be legitimate) then we can expect some Dlc. I do however not want to rely on Dlc for heavily requested characters to get in. I want as many newcomers as possible to already be in the game with purchase. Maybe some of the lower priority characters could be Dlc. The Heavy hitters though (Ridley and Mewtwo) should make the original non Dlc roster.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
You know, I'm thinking of characters left to announce. The characters from Brawl (not including Squirtle and Ivysaur) that are left are:
  1. Wario
  2. Ganondorf
  3. Ice Climbers
  4. R.O.B.
  5. Falco
  6. Wolf
  7. Captain Falcon
  8. Meta Knight
  9. Jigglypuff
  10. Ness
  11. Lucas
  12. Mr. Game and Watch
  13. Snake
We're three months to go until the Japanese release. I'm assuming Ganondorf, R.O.B., Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Jigglpuff, one of Ness/Lucas, and Mr. Game and Watch will be left to be discovered. And MAYBE Meta Knight. Snake would most likely be revealed in a direct. Wario, Ice Climbers, and Ness/Lucas. It's really just those three that are truly left to be revealed. We get them revealed, then that's three more before release. And maybe Meta Knight if he's starter, which I can see him being moved over to unlockable. And I feel as if Snake would have to be revealed in a Direct.

Staarih

Smash Master
Seeing as the 3DS version is released in Japan in September, that gives us about three months of pre-reveals... we could easily get at least one veteran reveal a month, maybe even more.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Depending on how much they want to hype up the DLC I could honestly see a downloadable character getting officially revealed before every character part of the initial game.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
We're three months to go until the Japanese release. I'm assuming Ganondorf, R.O.B., Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Jigglpuff, one of Ness/Lucas, and Mr. Game and Watch will be left to be discovered. And MAYBE Meta Knight. Snake would most likely be revealed in a direct. Wario, Ice Climbers, and Ness/Lucas. It's really just those three that are truly left to be revealed. We get them revealed, then that's three more before release. And maybe Meta Knight if he's starter, which I can see him being moved over to unlockable. And I feel as if Snake would have to be revealed in a Direct.
Ice climbers are very likely to return. Seeing as the polar bear from their games was spotted in smash run, and I think Sakuai said some time ago he was having trouble getting ice climbers on 3DS.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I have to assume, if they're both in the game, that one of Ness or Lucas will be revealed prior to release. I still pray that Lucas returns. But, if Toon Link did, I should think Lucas would be fine.
Ice climbers are very likely to return. Seeing as the polar bear from their games was spotted in smash run, and I think Sakuai said some time ago he was having trouble getting ice climbers on 3DS.
Oh, I know. It's just a matter of when. It's safe to assume they, along with Wario and one of the Earthbound kids, will get revealed prior to release.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I hope both the Mother boys comes back.

If we are getting Chrom, Robin or Micaiah better be one of the first DLC available. Smash doesn't represent Fire Emblem well if they do end up adding Chrom.
If there's going to be FE DLC, Roy has priority. Truth is, the FE characters consisting only of sword-weilding, cape-wearing male lords is pretty much all we're getting this time around. At the very least, with the Chorus Men being all but confirmed due to the Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run, I feel it's only a matter of time before we see Chrom, Marth and Ike on the CSS.

I think Chrom could be revealed at the final Direct before release to round off the starting newcomer roster

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I actually think Marth, Ike, and Chrom would be a good way to represent Fire Emblem.
Not really, they're all sword wielding Lords. I could go on a tangent about all the classes and weapons that would be left out, but I'll just mention that magic isn't represented at all by that selection.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I actually think Marth, Ike, and Chrom would be a good way to represent Fire Emblem.
I think Marth, Ike, and Avatar is much better considering Avatar not only represents Awakening, but a new mechanic to FE games in general that will likely continue into future titles - not to mention the much greater potential diversity of the character.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Like, don't get me wrong, I think Robin would be MUCH better, but I think Chrom is also fine. While Robin of course could bring a new mechanic, Chrom would still be a viable choice.

Staarih

Smash Master
With so much customization appearing in these games, I'm sure all of the blue-haired swordsmen can be made very different from each other, even if they seem similar at the start. And who knows what Chrom has in store for us - Palutena gave us quite a lot of variety with a wide range of unique attacks.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm just happy the FE roster didn't consist solely of Marth and Chrom, because that would have been horrible. At least with DLC being likely and Chrom being all but confirmed, we can discuss the possibility of a fourth FE character as DLC. Will Roy be joining the fight as DLC?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not saying Chrom can't be unique - but no matter how unique he turns out to be, he's still a character made explicitly and purposefully in the same vein as the two we already have, while FE has so much more to it than blue-haired sword-wielding lords, and considering the Smash audience is much larger than the FE audience, it's painting a fairly one-note picture of the series to people unfamiliar with it.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Just a shame that that trio really doesn't capture the diversity of the series.
Well, if you think about it, is Fire Emblem really diverse..? There are other, much more interesting RPG's out there, even by Nintendo, and the Avatar is the newest thing in Fire Emblem since 3D graphics in '03 or '04.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
To be honest, as much as I love Fire Emblem, I don't like Chrom to the point where if it's him or no new Fire Emblem newcomer, I would chose no one and have another franchise take up that spot. I'd rather have Roy back than Chrom.

Seriously, Fire Emblem isn't Starfox. It has a more diverse set of combat and characters and should be represented that way.

Last edited:

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
So, is it safe to say Snake has the cut (on his butt)? It seems Zamus has taken his Final smash (In a very similar way, not exact), Sheik took his Grenades (In a very similar way, not exact), and since he didn't show up at E3, aren't his chances pretty slim? Also there's a fair chance Palutena took his Codecs.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
So, is it safe to say Snake has the cut (on his butt)? It seems Zamus has taken his Final smash (In a very similar way, not exact), Sheik took his Grenades (In a very similar way, not exact), and since he didn't show up at E3, aren't his chances pretty slim? Also there's a fair chance Palutena took his Codecs.
I am going to say no, not yet.

Grenades: Charizard and Bowser BOTH have fire breathe.

Final Smash: All Star Fox Characters have the SAME Final Smashes. Snake should have a Metal Gear in his anyway. =p

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Well, there are other final smashes that are similar too.. such as Little Mac and Bowser's, and while other characters have moves similar to him, like you said they're not exact.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Also, am I the only one who thinks it's odd that the Goddess of Light has an attack that creates a Black Hole?
All of Palutena's specials seem to be, for the most part, all 'spells' from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Literally everything she's used so far can be attributed to a spell from that game that you can use in the main game, or in multiplayer, including Black Hole.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Still no Snake?
I know it seems like a long shot but I think he's still in.
@CaptainCrisb Even pointed out that when the beetle is used against a character they use the animation they did when Snake would use his grab against them.
Like I said it's a long shot but it could still happen don't write off Snake just yet.
I do like the rest of the roster though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So how about Captain Falcon? Anyone think he's gonna look more buff this time compared to Brawl? Maybe even maniler than Ike? :smirk:

:falconmelee: Yes!

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
If I was making the roster my only change, based on how things have been progressing, would be to drop Bandana Dee for Isaac. In the end it will be one more new franchise on the roster, albeit at the cost of Lucas ultimately.

Honestly, I think how he was in brawl was the best he could be, he should stay that way.
Competitively speaking Captain Falcon was probably the worst he could be.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Eh, I would prefer Captain Falcon sticking to his GX appearance, it seems like to me each Smash Bros he's appeared in just look like variations of his incarnation in F-Zero X

D

Deleted member

View attachment 16146
Here's my 51 character wish roster for Super Smash Bro. 4
What about DLC?:troll:

Now, is it Chorus Kid, or Chorus Kids?

I think it might just be one, since in the game, only one of them is the player... No sense in having multiple ones. I'm intrigued to discover what Sakurai does with that character.

Shulk is the only really exciting newcomer left... *shrugs*

Chrom... ugh.

I'm curious as to why Sakurai picked him over Robin considering his current trope with this game, ya know, making sure eery character added brings something new and fresh to the table (hell, Robin is even gender-swappable like WFT, Miis, and Villager). Chrom is pretty much the opposite of that. But yeah, I agree that's pretty much gonna end up being the final roster, not counting DLC.

Well, me and everyone else really (cept for those in denial).

Shall we start speculating on DLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom