• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
In the past I have presented my roster, showing off my own smash philosophy while adhering to current confirmations.
This is not my roster, this is a prediction roster, since I, for the first time in my smash speculating career, feel comfortable with predicting what I think WILL happen. So, without further ado:
Prediction Roster Roster.png

Top is main roster, bottom is possible DLC.
Tell me what you think.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
In the past I have presented my roster, showing off my own smash philosophy while adhering to current confirmations.
This is not my roster, this is a prediction roster, since I, for the first time in my smash speculating career, feel comfortable with predicting what I think WILL happen. So, without further ado:
View attachment 16107
Tell me what you think.
  • I personally think Dillon being playable this time won't happen, even as DLC. Maybe if he wasn't an assist trophy.
  • I'd swap Bandana Dee with Snake as I personally find him very unlikely on the disc at this point.
  • Zelda DLC character = Vaati, Classic Ganon, Ghirahim, or Impa. My vote goes to Vaati.
  • I think Robin or Anna should be the Fire Emblem DLC character since Chrom is on the disc.
Very solid though. Nice choices and roster. I take it that you believe the leak so I understand Chorus Men.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
  • I personally think Dillon being playable this time won't happen, even as DLC. Maybe if he wasn't an assist trophy.
  • I'd swap Bandana Dee with Snake as I personally find him very unlikely on the disc at this point.
  • Zelda DLC character = Vaati, Classic Ganon, Ghirahim, or Impa. My vote goes to Vaati.
  • I think Robin or Anna should be the Fire Emblem DLC character since Chrom is on the disc.
Very solid though. Nice choices and roster. I take it that you believe the leak so I understand Chorus Men.
Replies to all 5 points in order:
A man can dream can't he? In all seriousness, you're point is totally valid, I agree that an AT getting an upgrade through DLC is a bit dubious, but if any AT so far could do it, I think It'd be Dillon.
The arguments for the likelyhood of Snake's removal are also very good. The reason I kept him in is because Sakurai is clearly making creative movesets a focus in this game, so I doubt he'll cut the only trap using character in the series.
My list for the Zelda spot is your list + Tingle.
I considered those, but I thought that as a cut character, Roy got priority.
Thanks for the feedback, you had reasonable points.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Replies to all 5 points in order:
A man can dream can't he? In all seriousness, you're point is totally valid, I agree that an AT getting an upgrade through DLC is a bit dubious, but if any AT so far could do it, I think It'd be Dillon.
The arguments for the likelyhood of Snake's removal are also very good. The reason I kept him in is because Sakurai is clearly making creative movesets a focus in this game, so I doubt he'll cut the only trap using character in the series.
My list for the Zelda spot is your list + Tingle.
I considered those, but I thought that as a cut character, Roy got priority.
Thanks for the feedback, you had reasonable points.
I like it I agree with Snake he seems a little to unique to just be cast out.
One thing that bothers me is the lack of a new Retro character.
Pick any one you want but I do think your roster needs one.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Are Mii Fighters really taking up three slots each for the Gunner, Brawler, and Swordfighter!?

If so, then I guess we have our new R.O.B.(s) to blame for a lack of favorite characters after release.

---

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I support all Fire Emblem characters; Robin is the more ideal choice, but Chrom is my favorite character that remains on the Gematsu leak. Just to clarify.
I see. You said Chrom was the ideal choice previously, though.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Are Mii Fighters really taking up three slots each for the Gunner, Brawler, and Swordfighter!?

If so, then I guess we have our new R.O.B.(s) to blame for a lack of favorite characters after release.

---
I'm guessing they will only take one slot, but all 3 Miis will be in the same screen (much like Pokemon Trainer had all 3 Pokemon in the mugshot and you could specifically choose your starter).

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Star Fox seems to be an active franchise again, and Wolf brings a lot to the table.
As for Falco he's a competitive favorite and a two time vet.

Mother, sadly, is a very small and dormant franchise, and Lucas doesn't really being anything to the table that Ness doesn't.
He differs enough from Ness moveset wise but all we really have is a variation of Ness's playstyle.
Lucas is expendable, simply put.

And I have all my stock in Sal so yeah.
Right, I guess the same logic could have applied to Ike, but the fact that Ike isn't a clone is what probably what saved him. It still hurts that Lucas has to be cut though.... I really liked him, and after Ike was confirmed, I supported Lucas the most out of any other veteran.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Greetings mates, I've been gone for a while for personal reasons and as such I've missed out on quite a bit of speculation. But seeing the news so far, looks like Sal Romano really was legit, we got Palutena (very nice), Pac-Man (someone I'm glad to see!), and a special sort of Mii Fighters that look to function just as I had mentioned a while back. Since it's been a while, I've made a new roster (with the lovely official CSS design) now based around the Gematsu leak. 52 characters with 51 slots and random, I'm taking a wild guess and saying that the "Customizations Off" option will have something to do with selecting Miis (since they're completely custom characters that apparently can't be used online), so they aren't missing from the roster, just in a separate menu.
Please ignore the lack of names, I'm having technical difficulties with the text.

I've also seen some people wondering how the 3DS screens might look with so many characters, so I made this special version.

Really the only difference from my last roster is the addition of the Chorus Men...

I'll be prone to disappearing for long periods of time again, but I'm still stopping by when I get the chance. Not that anyone missed me.
Just wanted to share this as usual, felt good to work on a brand new roster with some more confirmed characters,

Reila

If you fully believe Sal Romano's leak, might as well take Lucas or Ness out of the roster.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If you fully believe Sal Romano's leak, might as well take Lucas or Ness out of the roster.
I'm not sure I believe that part of the leak after all the game did get delayed for a reason.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Not quite.

In fact, I think that even if you fully believe the Sal Romano leaks are legitimate, that you shoudln't still have a little freedom in your roster.
Because, as previously mentioned, it's very possible that he leaked a prototype roster and it could have been changed.

Not terribly likely, but nothing is certain.

Morbi

Scavenger
I see. You said Chrom was the ideal choice previously, though.
The most ideal on the (remaining) list (Chorus Men, Shulk, and Chrom). Albeit; I prefer him over Mii, and Pac-Man as well.

Not necessarily, he did not confirm anything other than that there was "debate" pertaining to that issue. Unless he blatantly asserted that one was intended to be cut, both could still happen assuming the leak is real.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
I am genuinely surprised there were no vets revealed during E3, but I am less surprised now that I know the game has been delayed until October.
I figure, with a little over three months until release, and if nothing more is revealed in June, we could see one vet per month to finish out the starting roster, and that may be all we'll see before release.
Wario, Ice Climbers, Meta Knight seem most likely as starters. I've long felt that Meta Knight makes more sense as a hidden character, though the same could be said for any of the three.
Ness, Captain Falcon, Mr. Game & Watch, and R.O.B. seem more likely (to me) to remain hidden, for the sake of tradition (which may also apply to Luigi), but I wouldn't be surprised if any of them were starters.
Ganondorf and any StarFox character other than Fox I'm inclined to expect to be hidden.
Jigglypuff and Mewtwo, especially the latter, seem better suited as hidden fighters. I expect at least one hidden Pokemon character.
Lucas would probably be a starter again.
I'd like to see Lucas and Wolf return, because I hate seeing people's favorites get cut, and because they are important characters in their respective series, but I also fear that, after Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake, they are the most likely cuts.
I would expect any additional Fire Emblem rep, if we get one, to be a hidden character, as well.
We start getting into dicier territory from here on out, but I could see them saving one or two more newcomers to be revealed prior to release, and then keeping the rest hidden. Given that characters have been revealed at such a steady pace so far, with the occasional flood of info during special events, I'm going to go ahead and predict a starting line up of around 35 characters, assuming that, based on the precedent Brawl set, all third-party characters are announced prior to release and yet still need to be unlocked. I don't think 15 hidden fighters is too unreasonable.

At this point, I could see it playing out like this, and this is sort of just idle speculation late at night so forgive me if I missed something...

Starters:
1. Mario
2. Peach
3. Bowser
4. Rosalina
5. Yoshi
6. Wario
7. Donkey Kong
8. Diddy Kong
9. Samus
10. ZS Samus
11. Link
12. Toon Link
13. Zelda
14. Sheik
15. Kirby
16. Dedede
17. Meta Knight
18. Fox
19. Pikachu
20. Charizard
21. Lucario
22. Greninja
23. Marth
24. Ike
25. Ice Climbers
26. Pit
27. Palutena
28. Olimar
29. Villager
30. Wii Fit Trainer
31. Little Mac
32. Mii Fighters
34. Expected Newcomer
35. Expected Newcomer

Hopefully:
36. Lucas

Hidden:
1. Luigi
2. Ness
3. Captain Falcon
4. Mr. Game & Watch
5. R.O.B.
6. Ganondorf
7. Falco
8. Mega Man
9. Sonic
10. Pac-Man
11. Expected Newcomer (Chrom / Third Fire Emblem Character?)

Hopefully:
12. Mewtwo
13. Jigglypuff
14. Wolf
15. Unexpected Newcomer? (Snake? What happened? Snake? SNAKE! SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!)
16. Unexpected Newcomer (Ridley?)
17. Unexpected Newcomer (Isaac!!!)
18. Unexpected Newcomer (???)

So, about 50 total, give or take possible additions or cuts. 48 at minimum, but hopefully more. NOA's Treehouse during their live play sessions this week made a few comments in regard to the roster being huge and there being several more characters they're super excited for but can't talk about yet.
As for the slots I only labelled as Newcomer, you can pretend they are whoever you think.

For the sake of discussion, let's go with the Gematsu characters, as they seem to only be gaining popularity in terms of predictions.
If he's in, Shulk seems more likely to me as a starter, as does Takamaru or any other surprise retro rep, and if we do get a Rhythm Heaven rep, as predicted, I could see them saving that as a post release surprise. Or we could go with the theory that Sal's tipster only leaked the characters who would be revealed pre-release, so we'll say that the last space on the starting roster could go to RH Glee Club / Chorus Men, instead.

After release, I'd say we could still see up to four newcomers, including the aforementioned third FE rep. I'm not counting on it, but here's hoping. I'd wager at least two of the hidden characters will be new.
If we do get Ridley, after all the teasing and heartbreak, I could see him being one of the biggest secrets as well as being the most difficult to unlock. He just makes more sense to me as being a big secret.
I'm going to keep holding out hope for Isaac as a hidden fighter, even though I don't by any means expect him, because I am stubborn like that, and because we still haven't seen him. Isaac is, as far as I am concerned, the second most likely Brawl AT character, after Little Mac, to be promoted, because, like Mac, he had been featured in a new game in his series not too long before development of SSB4 began, and, unlike many of the other Brawl AT characters, he has enormous potential. Heck, I feel like he has a better shot than Ridley, oftentimes.
There are still many other possibilities, of course. We may not get another surprise Retro at all. Snake could defy expectations and sneak back into the game (it would be kind of hilarious if he was literally discovered hiding in a box somewhere in the game). We might still see a Zelda newcomer (here's hoping for Tetra because I want to be a pirate). Finally, I would still love to see the Donkey Kong series get a third rep. Between Dixie and K. Rool, I'd be more inclined to expect Dixie, just based on intuition. I'd gladly take either.

I'm going to adopt a strategy of not expecting anything more than 50 characters max, no more surprises, more cuts, and nothing else that I've been hoping for. That way if I see anything I haven't been expecting, I can be wildly excited.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't get how one can believe only part of a leak, but sure.
I think @ Morbi Morbi said it best there is always the chance that the view on situation has changed and maybe both will make it in.

Last edited:

Reila

I am not obligating anyone to not put Ness or Lucas in the roster. It was a suggestion. JamesDNaux could put Goku in his roster, for what it is worth. But, if you are putting Chrom, Shulk and Chorus Kid based on Sal Romano's word, ignoring his last leak about the DLC thing, as well as either Ness or Lucas probably being cut, doesn't make much sense. It is nitpicking.

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I think we are getting more reveals soon. CT_Zero did an AMA on Reddit today and said that the invitational players got a sneak peak of something "really hype"
Sakurai even took a pic
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/476508033216835584
Ridley confirmed??? LOL

EDIT: Zero just said that he cannot reveal whatever he was going reveal anymore. ****in sucks.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
I was just joking about that Ridley comment but all I'm saying is that any character reveals are always welcomed lol

D

Deleted member

Hey, I think we are getting more reveals soon. CT_Zero did an AMA on Reddit today and said that the invitational players got a sneak peak of something "really hype"
Sakurai even took a pic
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/476508033216835584
Ridley confirmed??? LOL
Hmmm....they're hugging each other as if they're coming powers...wait, combing powers?!? Sounds like it came from a familiar quote...

"Let our powers combine!"

Captain Planet confirmed! :troll:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It was only stated that Lucas was likely to be cut, so even if it sounds like his chances aren't high there is still a chance he isn't cut. No reason to take out Ness as it was pretty much stated he won out over Lucas.

I'm taking a wild guess and saying that the "Customizations Off" option will have something to do with selecting Miis (since they're completely custom characters that apparently can't be used online), so they aren't missing from the roster, just in a separate menu.
It's probably to enable and disable custom moves, Miis are probably going to have their own slot.

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll

Pac-Man live reaction, footage and more.
I love several things about this video. It's really great to hear such an enthusiastic reaction from the audience, especially with the game's director being able to witness it firsthand.
The way he talks about the three guest characters makes it sound like they'll be the only three, though. Which is mostly fine with me. Much as I like Snake (I've played through The Twin Snakes many times), the main reason I'd like to see him return is because he's a Smash vet now, with dedicated fans who'd be let down if he didn't return. If he weren't, he wouldn't be very high on my third-party wishlist. He just isn't as iconic or important to Nintendo's history as the other three are.

And, speaking of which, here's the Pic of the Day.

It seems fitting that they'd be the guest characters. They look good together.

Moderator Edit: Permanent link recommended when posting the pic of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I love several things about this video. It's really great to hear such an enthusiastic reaction from the audience, especially with the game's director being able to witness it firsthand.
The way he talks about the three guest characters makes it sound like they'll be the only three, though. Which is mostly fine with me. Much as I like Snake (I've played through The Twin Snakes many times), the main reason I'd like to see him return is because he's a Smash vet now, with dedicated fans who'd be let down if he didn't return. If he weren't, he wouldn't be very high on my third-party wishlist. He just isn't as iconic or important to Nintendo's history as the other three are.

And, speaking of which, here's the Pic of the Day.

It seems fitting that they'd be the guest characters. They look good together.
I'm still holding out for Snake his moveset is too good to just be thrown out the window and there is not a single character in Nintendo history that can take his moveset.
Yes chances do look thin but Sakurai and Kojima are a perfect team of trolls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
I'm still holding out for Snake his moveset is too good to just be thrown out the window and there is not a single character in Nintendo history that can take his moveset.
Yes chances do look thin but Sakurai and Kojima are a perfect team of trolls.
I agree that he has a cool moveset, and I would rather see him back than cut. I like playing as him in Brawl.
And you're right about them both being major trolls. He could still be returning, even though his chances seem slim.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I want Snake back because, without him, those three wouldn't even be standing together with Mario. Snake opened the door.

I'm still hoping for the best in that regard, it would be a shame for Sonic to be there without the guy that got him in.

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036

---
DO NOT LUMP R.O.B. TOGETHER WITH MII FIGHTERS HE IS A GOD COMPARED TO THEM

In all seriousness, I neeeeeeed R.O.B. back. He's one of mah mains.

Greetings mates, I've been gone for a while for personal reasons and as such I've missed out on quite a bit of speculation. But seeing the news so far, looks like Sal Romano really was legit, we got Palutena (very nice), Pac-Man (someone I'm glad to see!), and a special sort of Mii Fighters that look to function just as I had mentioned a while back. Since it's been a while, I've made a new roster (with the lovely official CSS design) now based around the Gematsu leak. 52 characters with 51 slots and random, I'm taking a wild guess and saying that the "Customizations Off" option will have something to do with selecting Miis (since they're completely custom characters that apparently can't be used online), so they aren't missing from the roster, just in a separate menu.
Please ignore the lack of names, I'm having technical difficulties with the text.

I've also seen some people wondering how the 3DS screens might look with so many characters, so I made this special version.

Really the only difference from my last roster is the addition of the Chorus Men...

I'll be prone to disappearing for long periods of time again, but I'm still stopping by when I get the chance. Not that anyone missed me.
Just wanted to share this as usual, felt good to work on a brand new roster with some more confirmed characters,
This is a good flipping roster. It's seriously like the best case scenario.

11/10 would play
make it happen samurai sakoorie sakurai

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
If I were in charge of scheduling character reveals I would leave Snake out until after the game is released. To me, it would just suit his character to be hiding in the game for people to find on their own.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If I were in charge of scheduling character reveals I would leave Snake out until after the game is released. To me, it would just suit his character to be hiding in the game for people to find on their own.
Or in the 3DS' launch trailer reveal him that'd be what I'd do.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That's sort of what I was getting at with the Cardboard Box, actually. Though if he is in, I don't think he'll be secret.

Then again, Kojima and Sakurai. Plus, it would make sense to his character.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 16107
Tell me what you think.
This is pretty much what I am expecting minus snake and the mii's are just one icon. This is what we are probably going to get.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Kept ya wating huh?.... I hope so.

It's light purple. I have three guesses. It can be either Mewtwo or the intro. It can also be Ridley, but I doubt, it's too pink to Ridley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom