• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
How many times does Little Mac get his KO Punch? I noticed him getting it quite often during some of the matches. And are there any characters that seemed to be much better than what you originally thought?

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
64 characters... 32 announced. That'd only be feasible with DLC. But in Dreamland!
Announced
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Rosalina
  5. Bowser
  6. Donkey Kong
  7. Diddy Kong
  8. Yoshi
  9. Link
  10. Zelda
  11. Sheik
  12. Toon Link
  13. Pikachu
  14. Lucario
  15. Charizard
  16. Greninja
  17. Kirby
  18. King Dedede
  19. Fox
  20. Samus
  21. Zero Suit Samus
  22. Pit
  23. Palutena
  24. Olimar
  25. Marth
  26. Ike
  27. Villager
  28. Mii Fighter
  29. Wii Fit Trainer
  30. Little Mac
  31. Sonic
  32. Megaman
  33. Pac-Man
Unlockables (15)
  1. Ness
  2. Captain Falcon
  3. Jigglypuff
  4. Wario
  5. Meta Knight
  6. Mr. Game and Watch
  7. R.O.B.
  8. Ice Climbers
  9. Ridley
  10. King K. Rool
  11. Chrom
  12. Shulk
  13. Marshall
  14. Falco
  15. Wolf
DLC (16, over 2-3 yrs)
  1. Lucas
  2. Roy
  3. Snake
  4. Mewtwo
  5. Sceptile
  6. Dixie Kong
  7. Bowser Jr.
  8. Paper Mario
  9. Ghiralham
  10. Impa
  11. Krystal
  12. Mach Rider
  13. Takamara
  14. Chibi-Robo
  15. Issac
  16. Bandana Dee
64 characters and Ray is nowhere to be found. A depressingly realistic depiction of his unfairly low chances.

D

Deleted member

If DLC characters were supposedly not free & you had to pay for it, what would the ideal price be? $1?

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
As the Smash Bros sucker I am, I would pay any price for DLC even if I don't care for the content.

I bought every character and stage for the underwhelming Playstation All Stars, and I literally don't remember when I last played it.

Thankfully for me, Nintendo has a great track record on DLC regarding price-to-content ratios.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
This is what am thinking to. But due to the lack of new characters from veteran series, I'm thinking the last characters are Mewtwo, King K.Rool and Impa, from the Legend of Zelda.
I swear to God, shut up about Impa already. It's about as annoying as hearing Robin's name pop up. If you want a Zelda newcomer, we will most likely get Vaati, Tetra, or nothing

Greninja - "What the **** is that"
Kirby - "Jigglypuff" (LOST IT AT THIS ONE)
Samus - "Iron Man"
Marth - "Hot"
Ike - "Oooo looks like Zayn Malik"
Little Mac - "John Cena" (LOST IT)
Mega Man - "Our brother!"
I legit LOL'd at these

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
64 characters and Ray is nowhere to be found. A depressingly realistic depiction of his unfairly low chances.
That many characters are we're not getting trainers old Pokemon back? Sad times.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Lucas isn't even comparable to Wolf.
Fox and Wolf are completely different characters that only share about 3 moves.

And lol at anyone thinking they would get rid of Falco.
Not to nitpick your wording but how can they be COMPLETELY different, and yet still share 3 moves?

My point earlier with choosing ness or lucas etc, was that Lucas, Falco and Wolf all do share similarities with their "originals" in terms of weight, AND move sets, don't get me wrong they play totally different, but based on toon link it seems the theme so far is that, non-weight sharing clones seem to be okay, but we have yet to see anyone with similar moves in a similar weight class be confirmed.

So again I say, if they are having to choose between ness and lucas, why shouldn't they be choosing between wolf and falco or neither?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Star Fox seems to be an active franchise again, and Wolf brings a lot to the table.
As for Falco he's a competitive favorite and a two time vet.

Mother, sadly, is a very small and dormant franchise, and Lucas doesn't really being anything to the table that Ness doesn't.
He differs enough from Ness moveset wise but all we really have is a variation of Ness's playstyle.
Lucas is expendable, simply put.

And I have all my stock in Sal so yeah.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Star Fox seems to be an active franchise again, and Wolf brings a lot to the table.

Mother, sadly, is a very small and dormant franchise, and Lucas doesn't really being anything to the table that Ness doesn't.
He differs enough from Ness moveset wise but all we really have is a variation of Ness's playstyle.

Then again, Mother offers a lot more characters than Star Fox does, despite being a smaller franchise.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
So again I say, if they are having to choose between ness and lucas, why shouldn't they be choosing between wolf and falco or neither?
I think it's the fact that Fox and and Falco have become "fan favourites" at this point. I very, very highly doubt Falco will be cut, because of the outcry from a lot of people. There will be outcry if Lucas is cut, yes, but a lot less than if Falco is cut, for example.

Also, Lucas and Ness have the same amount of moves in common as Fox, Falco and Wolf.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Have you ever played Lucas? They play entirely differently.

I mean, I think he's cut, but not because of him being "a variation of Ness' playstyle". That's silly.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Impa is about a hundred times more likely than Vaati, bud.
LOL at Vaati being likely.
I'd love to see him as DLC just to rub it in your face. Vaati is a recurring villain in the Zelda series, can bring the villains reps up, and we would have an unique magic fighter using dark magic plus the villain is a male magic user, one we've yet to have in Smash.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Have you ever played Lucas? They play entirely differently.

I mean, I think he's cut, but not because of him being "a variation of Ness' playstyle". That's silly.
I've played Lucas. He feels like Ness to me, what can I say?

He won't be cut for playing like Ness, but it makes him an easy character to make, and as a result low priority.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki

It is true that mother is dormant, but star fox just recently came alive again, who is to say the mother can't? As far as wolf bringing lots to the table, as a Lucas main for brawl I feel the same way... I pretty much hate Ness.. in my opinion Lucas plays as far away from Ness as Wolf does from Fox, and I know because I hate playing against wolf as Lucas, but don't mind Fox at all...

All these character bring lots to the table in my opinion, but the fact is they all have that "lovely" clone stigma hanging over them, so if Lucas is truly on the chopping block I don't see why falco, and more so wolf can't be.

He won't be cut for playing like Ness, but it makes him an easy character to make, and as a result low priority.
If he really feels like ness to you... then you haven't played him at all..

yeah, yeah sorry, double post...

Last edited by a moderator:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Being a partial Ness main, I can't play Lucas at all. I just can't get used to him.

I expect he'll be cut because he is still a semi-clone from an overrepresented series...as sad as it is.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Being a partial Ness main, I can't play Lucas at all. I just can't get used to him.

I expect he'll be cut because he is still a semi-clone from an overrepresented series...as sad as it is.
And exactly how is Earthbound overrepresented if we have 2 characters? That's kinda silly

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
It is true that mother is dormant, but star fox just recently came alive again, who is to say the mother can't?
Similarly, Star Fox is a franchise they can pick up anytime they think it's going to sell enough to be worth the development time, which is seemingly, I'd imagine, why Miyamoto's trying to bring back the franchise. Which, honestly, I find kinda interesting. It's a very 50/50 thing. It's either going to be amazing or it's gonna be another meh entry into the franchise.

Anyway, Mother will never be revived because the Japanese revere Itoi as a celebrity and due to the naturally submissive, beta nature of Japanese, they'll never make one themselves, and if Itoi never wants to make another Mother game again, he'll never make another Mother game again. Which is why we kinda have to sit and wait for fan projects to pop up, like Mother 4 (which is shaping up really nicely, actually). At the same time, if Itoi wakes up one morning and decides, 'Hey, I want to make another Mother game, I've got some great ideas that I can make work.' then Nintendo will be like 'Go nuts. Here's a team and here's your initial budget.'.

Unfortunately, Itoi seems like a busy guy with his fingers in a lot of pies, so naturally, the Mother series pie is going to get stale and be cold forever because he doesn't want anything to do with it.

Having said THAT, Mother's still popular over in Japan, and Smash is a Japanese game made by Japanese developers for Japanese gamers and Nintendo fans. The fact that we happen to have a love for mostly similar things the Japanese do is a happy coincidence. So, yeah, I think Mother should get more representatives, or at least Ness and Lucas, not because the franchise is dead, but because it needs to be memorialized and remembered SOMEHOW.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I think it's the fact that Fox and and Falco have become "fan favourites" at this point. I very, very highly doubt Falco will be cut, because of the outcry from a lot of people. There will be outcry if Lucas is cut, yes, but a lot less than if Falco is cut, for example.

Also, Lucas and Ness have the same amount of moves in common as Fox, Falco and Wolf.
and that is why I say wolf before falco, but for semantic purposes I consider them both.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
As a Lucas main in Brawl and PM, the sudden pessimism of Lucas because of the Gematsu leak bothers me quite, a bit. Especially, with the mention of Mother 3 at the Digital Event, wouldn't this boost his odds of returning.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
As a Lucas main in Brawl and PM, the sudden pessimism of Lucas because of the Gematsu leak bothers me quite, a bit. Especially, with the mention of Mother 3 at the Digital Event, wouldn't this boost his odds of returning.
Well, there's supposedly a lot of debate going on. It could end up that neither one gets cut in the end.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nah am sure at least one would get in. They are having a debate over who should get in. Not why to birng them back. EarthBound was re-released on VC with a lot of attention, so I think Ness is the one to make it in the end.

However, if there was a debate over Ness vs Lucas... how about Jigglypuff vs Mewtwo? Or Wolf vs Falco?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Someone remind me where the leak is because I'm pretty sure it was that the debate is if it ends up that one of them gets cut.

Last edited:

Richard Nixon

Smash Apprentice
A thing to remember about Lucas: Sal's leaker said there was a debate amongst the developers about whether to keep him or Ness. I'd have thought that if it ever came down to a toss-up between the two, Ness would be hands down the obvious character to keep around, but that doesn't seem to have been the case. He heavily suggested the team was having a hard time deciding, which leads me to believe there was more to the discussion than just "hey, Lucas is the clone, let's cut him." With what Sal had to say, seems like only one Mother character is (or was, at one point) intended to return, which would make one of them being a clone irrelevant anyways since only one of their movesets would be present in the game.

As much as I'd like to compare the Ness/Lucas situation to the spacies, it becomes an irrelevant comparison to make when you drop the "clone characters" factor out of the equation. I honestly don't think the developers care much whether characters are clones or not. A Mother character was probably considered more expendable because of the status of the series and lack of recognition in the west (for Lucas especially).

That said, there's still hope for both of them making it back I guess. I wouldn't count on it, but it is definitely worth nothing that Sal's leaker wasn't 100% sure yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom