• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Wanna know the best part about this discussion? It ends tomorrow! It feels so good to know that, by the time I come on tomorrow night, this topic will be dead and done, regardless if he's in or not.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What final? I could help!

When do you get out for the direct?
Spanish final. Luckily I have no problem with Spanish, but finals are finals.
Me and a few friends are watching the Direct at 4 or so, which is also when I'll be getting home.

Going out on a limb and saying that we're still talking about Pac?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
heard you the first time.

how would them getting pacman in the game NOT be a gift? that's just crazy!

anyways, I got to go now, maybe I'll be back in an hour or two
It's because Sakurai's explicitly said that Namco characters aren't getting special treatment. That means it's not a gift. So he'd need to do something else for a gift if he wanted to thank them.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Me and a few friends are watching the Direct at 4 or so, which is also when I'll be getting home.

I was a senior this year so I got off early. But most of my friends who like smash are underclassman and most have their last final exam tomorrow. Good thing it ends at 10 so they can make it in time to my house. It stinks you cannot watch it live.

And yes we are still on Pacman.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
He said that third parties are "special cases".

Pac-Man could be considered a "special case".

Therefore, Pac-Man does not need special treatment. Only less recognizable Namco characters which aren't special cases like Lloyd Irving would.

I basically took that statement as "This isn't going to be Nintendo x Namco just because they're working on the game".
They're considered special cases because of how hard they are to negotiate and how they're meant to be few in numbers. Pac-Man may indeed be the easiest to use, but all I'm saying is publicity is not what will get him in, but rather, what he can bring to the battlefield.

Keyword: will, unfortunately

D

Deleted member

To play Devil's Advocate, the notion that Bamco would have the "it's playable or nothing" mindset in regards to Pac-Man is ludicrous.

Both Katsuhiro Harada (Tekken director) and Makoto Yoshizumi (Tales producer) have expressed that Sakurai has final say when it comes to the character roster.
Bamco is not going to pull an ultimatum in regards to any of their characters.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
They're considered special cases because of how hard they are to negotiate and how they're meant to be few in numbers. Pac-Man may indeed be the easiest to use, but all I'm saying is publicity is not what will get him in, but rather, what he can bring to the battlefield.

Keyword: will, unfortunately
I'm sorry. I think we have a miscommunication. Sakurai said that third party characters are special cases in that they must be legendary to make it in. That's what I mean when I'm saying "special case".

Then lets leave the topic. So how about other characters? Palutena? Chrom? what u wanna talk about?
How about Shulk? Apparently the voice actor is hoping to give us good news tomorrow ;)

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
I'm sorry. I think we have a miscommunication. Sakurai said that third party characters are special cases in that they must be legendary to make it in. That's what I mean when I'm saying "special case".

How about Shulk? Apparently the voice actor is hoping to give us good news tomorrow ;)
I would flip my shiznit if Shulk was revealed tomorrow. Sadly, I think he'll be a hidden character.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I cry every time share the same love of pacman my friend

Hmmm, I honestly have never played the game, but he might be an interesting inclusion

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I would really like Shulk's inclusion in Smash. It introduces more people to the character and IP, and thus expanding it like what Monolith Soft and Nintendo clearly wants what with X and all. Raising awareness of an IP like that is exactly the kind of forward thinking I like in Smash, the kind that helped Earthbound and F-Zero stay known despite their decline, the kind that reintroduced Ice Climbers and Game&Watch, and the kind that helped the expansion of Fire Emblem.

Personally don't know anything about the character though, he's whatever to me lol.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

Yes. And Spanish is easy.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ah, that was so sweet; perhaps, if only the third-party character that I connected with did not decapitate, eviscerate, dismember, impale, and immolate his fellow combatants I could experience a similar emotion. Alas, it was not to be. However, I can still relate, your paragraph reminded me that I have Link, Zelda, and Gaondorf. I already play as the character that mean so utterly much to me as an individual. I hope you get your wish, Pacack.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ah, that was so sweet; perhaps, if only the third-party character that I connected with did not decapitate, eviscerate, dismember, impale, and immolate his fellow combatants I could experience a similar emotion. Alas, it was not to be. However, I can still relate, your paragraph reminded me that I have Link, Zelda, and Gaondorf. I already play as the character that mean so utterly much to me as an individual. I hope you get your wish, Pacack.
<3

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I couldn't care less about Shulk. He seems like a generic, bland RPG hero.
Oh yeah both him and Isaac are a generic rpg sword swinging heroes with no personality or unique abilities, if they're from RPGs then they will always be generic characters with no merit for inclusion in smash bros. :glare:

Jokes aside i would strongly recommend that you do at least a bit of research on a character's abilities before saying they're generic.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Obviously. I have no incentive to do so when the protagonist seems boring as hell.
Hasty generalization fallacy aside, I feel obligated to inform you that you would not feel that way in the event that you actually understood his character better. Albeit that is very overt, but you seem to be laboring under the delusion that your initial impressions of the character are accurate.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Let's all talk about a potential Ganondorf revamp before E3 airs. :D
While not many will agree with me, i would love if they made him sort of a blend between classic ganon and ganondorf, like make him fight in his human form, but swinging his trident brutally at other characters and using his magic attacks. Some kicks and physical moves would also fit.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
I would say give him a sword but that would put him in the same situation as every other sword user.
An alternative? Wind Waker Ganondorf could be pretty awesome.
I'd love that, he's my favorite version of Ganondorf. Not had any other character use two swords either.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I couldn't care less about Shulk. He seems like a generic, bland RPG hero.
Generic. Bland. Hero...?

I could say a few things, but I wont. Like the others though, I suggest you play Xenoblade before making those kind of assumptions. If Shulk's as "bland" as you claim, how the devil was the game he's apart of so successful?

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Generic. Bland. Hero...?

I could say a few things, but I wont. Like the others though, I suggest you play Xenoblade before making those kind of assumptions. If Shulk's as "bland" as you claim, how the devil was the game he's apart of so successful?
I haven't played Xenoblade and I don't think he's bland...

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Generic. Bland. Hero...?

It's not, honestly, it's a pretty niche game that took two years to get localized and didn't manage to break a million worldwide. It does have a strong cult following though.

Regardless of that, I really doubt Shulk's character actually contributed to the game's reception. But I wouldn't know, I haven't played the game!

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Let's all talk about a potential Ganondorf revamp before E3 airs. :D
Im expecting it 100%. Characters who didnt really need revamps have got them, and Ganondorf desperately needs one, probably more than any other character (arguably.) Seeing revamps in so many veterans makes me very hopeful.

He actually doesnt even need a full revamp, but he does need some changes to his moveset, most notably including dead mans volley. He just needs a little more push away from Cpt Falcon and he will be good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom