• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Having a mascot with a legendary status in Smash Bros as an assist trophy because the vocal minority doesn't respect him for whatever reason seems awfully silly to me.

I really don't get the logic...either he's playable, or bust. Otherwise it's an insult to his legacy. =/
Would we even be seriously talking about adding Pac-man if Namco weren't developing the game?

Can I get a veteran's experience on this?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Having a mascot with a legendary status in Smash Bros as an assist trophy because the vocal minority doesn't respect him for whatever reason seems awfully silly to me.

I really don't get the logic...either he's playable, or bust. Otherwise it's an insult to his legacy. =/
I can't believe that I have typed so much in this site.. and I couldn't reach a good result as your post. Well said.

Waka Waka to tomorrow! 0/

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
That's uhh... kinda what I had in mind, yeah.
in all honesty, isn't pacman that already to the general public?

There was this new 4 player classic pacman thing at my local arcade, and it was really fun!
Well, sorry, but that just isn't a smart business decision. Namco is not going to add Pac-Man as only a pie, because that is not what they are trying to promote. He may be considered a one-shot wonder to many, but he isn't that to Namco. They are actively trying to break out of that mold that they've been placed into and attempting to revive him as a recent mascot. Do you think their whole "Pac is back" advertising means nothing? Of course not. If they bother to include him in the game at all, he will be advertising his recent endeavors. Not his 34 year old arcade game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Pac-Man is going to playable, or not in at all. There is no other Namco character that would likely get in over him, and if he's in Smash, he's going to be playable. Without a doubt something I would place a bet on.

The one thing that would make me not care that much about anything else would be if Snake is revealed, and I feel kinda confident. I am imagining them revealing Phantom Pain or Ground Zeroes on Wii U, then saying "Prease take a look, at this next clip" and having Snake fighting Mario and Sonic or something.

A man can dream, and hopefully, this mans dream comes true tomorrow...

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
The detractors will find any excuse...but whatever. The trailer will enlighten all non-pac-believers
well, what's your reasoning for him being in?

Well, sorry, but that just isn't a smart business decision. Namco is not going to add Pac-Man as only a pie, because that is not what they are trying to promote. He may be considered a one-shot wonder to many, but he isn't that to Namco. They are actively trying to break out of that mold that they've been placed into and attempting to revive him as a recent mascot. Do you think their whole "Pac is back" advertising means nothing? Of course not. If they bother to include him in the game at all, he will be advertising his recent endeavors. Not his 34 year old arcade game.
In the end, it's really sakurai's decision, not Namco's.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Would we even be seriously talking about adding Pac-man if Namco weren't developing the game?

Can I get a veteran's experience on this?
This has already been discussed quite extensively; everyone comprehends that Pac-Man's chances would be non-existent if it were not for Namco's involvement in the development of Smash 4. However, that does not alter the objective notion that they are associated with and involved with the project. Therefore his chances are reasonable.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
This has already been discussed quite extensively; everyone comprehends that Pac-Man's chances would be non-existent if it were not for Namco's involvement in the development of Smash 4. However, that does not alter the objective notion that they are associated with and involved with the project. Therefore his chances are reasonable.
It's telling one of the strongest points for his inclusion is "Easier to include than any alternative".

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
His inclusion in Smash is an insult to his legacy if he does not have the "honor" of being playable? That logic is certainly fallacious.
Having Sonic and Mega Man playable while Pac Man gets a "lesser" role (if you will) is very silly, considering he's more recognized by the masses.

I mean, he's practically the face of video games to many people (read: the majority). Surely you'd want someone with a status like that to be playable if you want him in the game?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Pac-Man is going to playable, or not in at all. There is no other Namco character that would likely get in over him, and if he's in Smash, he's going to be playable. Without a doubt something I would place a bet on.

The one thing that would make me not care that much would be if Snake is revealed, and I feel kinda confident. I am imagining them revealing Phantom Pain or Ground Zeroes on Wii U, then saying "Prease take a look, at this next clip" and having Snake fighting Mario and Sonic or something.

So you erroneously believe that it is impossible that Pac-Man is alluded to or represented in a similar fashion to all other Namco IP? Pac-Man is an either or fallacy for some arbitrary reason? Okay. I would; once again, assert that that sentiment is fallacious, quite literally as you presume that a logical fallacy will actualize.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Non-existent?
Don't be putting Pac in the same category as Geno and Goku, now.

Even if Bamco wasn't involved, he'd still have a chance. Just not nearly as strong of a chance as he does now.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
well, what's your reasoning for him being in?

Maybe so. But if you were the head director of Super Smash Bros, and had a perfect opportunity to create a game where you can pit Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man against each other in the SAME GAME, wouldn't you do it too?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Having Sonic and Mega Man playable while Pac Man gets a "lesser" role (if you will) is very silly, considering he's more recognized by the masses.

I mean, he's practically the face of video games to many people (read: the majority). Surely you'd want someone with a status like that to be playable if you want him in the game?
How would the character recognizable to the masses be playable! he doesn't even have arms!

(you know what I'm getting at here, right? or do I need to explain?)

Maybe so. But if you were the head director of Super Smash Bros, and had a perfect opportunity to create a game where you can pit Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man against each other in the SAME GAME, wouldn't you do it too?
no

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Oh Jesus... I think that I'll go to the bed.. like now.. I need this event happening as soon as possible... I can't handle the hype.. I can't handle any other debate; just give me Pac playable.. and some Palutena or whatever for the others be happy too. (I'm not that selfish =P)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
No, it isn't.

If Sakurai goes up to them and asks "Can I use Pac-Man as an assist?" They have every right to say no. And they probably would, considering how they're advertising him recently.

But...the S-Flag does appear to be a summoning item. My conclusion? Since it doesn't make sense for Namco to let Sakurai include Pac-Man as only a sprite, since it doesn't advertise their recent endeavors and, again, solidifies him as an arcade one-shot wonder, it makes more sense that Pac-Man is actually playable, and this item is an extra thank you to Namco for helping to develop the game.

Morbi

Scavenger
Non-existent?
Don't be putting Pac in the same category as Geno and Goku, now.

Even if Bamco wasn't involved, he'd still have a chance. Just not nearly as strong of a chance as he does now.
The difference is negligible. Albeit; you are correct.

I never insinuated anything to that effect; surely the most ideal role is playable. However, that does not magically (arbitrarily) mean that it is implausible for him to be represented in another way.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So you erroneously believe that it is impossible that Pac-Man is alluded to or represented in a similar fashion to all other Namco IP? Pac-Man is an either or fallacy for some arbitrary reason? Okay. I would; once again, assert that that sentiment is fallacious, quite literally as you presume that a logical fallacy will actualize.
I'm so confused as to what you're talking about here. But I will attempt to reply.

What I'm saying is, that if Pac-Man is in the game, he isn't going to be a random summon, simply based on the idea that he's FREAKING PAC-MAN.

But yes, that is what I'm trying to say.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
How would the character recognizable to the masses be playable! he doesn't even have arms!

(you know what I'm getting at here, right? or do I need to explain?)
what.
Pac Man has limbs in the artwork that's in the game cabinets, what are you talking about?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
No, it isn't.

If Sakurai goes up to them and asks "Can I use Pac-Man as an assist?" They have every right to say no. And they probably would, considering how they're advertising him recently.

But...the S-Flag does appear to be a summoning item. My conclusion? Since it doesn't make sense for Namco to let Sakurai include Pac-Man as only a sprite, since it doesn't advertise their recent endeavors and, again, solidifies him as an arcade one-shot wonder, it makes more sense that Pac-Man is actually playable, and this item is an extra thank you to Namco for helping to develop the game.
Alright, but if they were like "can we have pacman as a playable character"? Sakurai could also say no. so it evens out, I guess.

anyways, why would they have both the special flag AND a playable character for a thank you? doesn't anyone else think that's a bit much?

what.
Pac Man has limbs in the artwork that's in the game cabinets, what are you talking about?
It's not that what I'm talking about, yes I know that exists but you cannot deny that the Pacman most recognizable by the masses is 8 bit Pacman. 3D Pacman is relatively obscure if you compare them to the masses that know of his existence.

Last edited:

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
One thing you guys are forgetting (not gonna quote) is Namco was not getting special treatment for the roster, that means Pac-Man won't get in just because Namco wants to promote him. This may not disconfirm him, but he'll need more than popularity.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm so confused as to what you're talking about here. But I will attempt to reply.

What I'm saying is, that if Pac-Man is in the game, he isn't going to be a random summon, simply based on the idea that he's FREAKING PAC-MAN.

But yes, that is what I'm trying to say.

The one thing that would make me not care that much about anything else would be if Snake is revealed, and I feel kinda confident. I am imagining them revealing Phantom Pain or Ground Zeroes on Wii U, then saying "Prease take a look, at this next clip" and having Snake fighting Mario and Sonic or something.

I highlighted the portion that I was referencing. However, thank you for the clarification.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
The difference is negligible. Albeit; you are correct.

I never insinuated anything to that effect; surely the most ideal role is playable. However, that does not magically (arbitrarily) mean that it is implausible for him to be represented in another way.
its not impossible, but its improbable and would insult his fans. Why put the face of video games, as an assist trophy. Why would Namco want their pride and joy represented as a second rate supporter rather than a full playable character. That's like saying that making a character statue in the background of a stage is just as good as making them a character.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Oh Jesus... I think that I'll go to the bed.. like now.. I need this event happening as soon as possible... I can't handle the hype.. I can't handle any other debate; just give me Pac playable.. and some Palutena or whatever for the others be happy too. (I'm not that selfish =P)
Well everyone's selfish in the sense that they want a certain character, so even if i don't want pac-man in i definetly understand the love his fans have for him and his status in videogame history, so if he's in then good, if not then good as well.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Without Namco's involvement Pac-Man's small amount of supporters (most don't hop on - at least vocally - until the character actually has a chance) would keep to themselves in their thread, but no one else would really give him the time of day.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One thing you guys are forgetting (not gonna quote) is Namco was not getting special treatment for the roster, that means Pac-Man won't get in just because Namco wants to promote him. This may not disconfirm him, but he'll need more than popularity.
It basically means that if the staff at Namco want one of their characters on the roster in Super Smash Bros., they'll have to work for it. It's basically on the same level as companies like staff at Capcom and SEGA asking for characters.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
its not impossible, but its improbable and would insult his fans. Why put the face of video games, as an assist trophy. Why would Namco want their pride and joy represented as a second rate supporter rather than a full playable character. That's like saying that making a character statue in the background of a stage is just as good as making them a character.
Do not misconstrue my sentiment; I was just questioning the logic, not the reasoning. I completely and utterly agree with you.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Alright, but if they were like "can we have pacman as a playable character"? Sakurai could also say no. so it evens out, I guess.

anyways, why would they have both the special flag AND a playable character for a thank you? doesn't anyone else think that's a bit much?
I found that odd at first too, but it's more than possible that Sakurai didn't see adding Pac-Man as just a favor and wanted to do more.

He said that third parties are "special cases".

Pac-Man could be considered a "special case".

Therefore, Pac-Man does not need special treatment. Only less recognizable Namco characters which aren't special cases like Lloyd Irving would.

I basically took that statement as "This isn't going to be Nintendo x Namco just because they're working on the game".

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I found that odd at first too, but it's more than possible that Sakurai didn't see adding Pac-Man as just a favor and wanted to do more.
...uh, I think you are starting to grasp here but whatever. go ahead and think that way if you really want to.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
I scoff at your shenanigans
Actually, I think he has a point on that one.

It basically means that if the staff at Namco want one of their characters on the roster in Super Smash Bros., they'll have to work for it. It's basically on the same level as companies like staff at Capcom and SEGA asking for characters.
That's kinda it, actually. At the end of the day, Pac-Man's fate will be determined by what the dev team thinks he can do on the battlefield.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Well everyone's selfish in the sense that they want a certain character, so even if i don't want pac-man in i definetly understand the love his fans have for him and his status in videogame history, so if he's in then good, if not then good as well.
no, I'm serious... I'm not that selfish (I have my percentage of selfishness, of course, I'm human =P).. I'd like to have a character that I don't want (just like Palutena.. or I dunno... Bandana Dee, I guess?) for see other people happy.. but I think very unfair see people being anti-character just cause a design or some mediocre games (which doesn't affect the legacy of the character structured in the past, like Sonic or Metroid).. btw, any "anti-character" noise, is very bad to hear.

in a perfect world, Smash would be like a MUGEN engine in HD with a perfect ONline and balance =P... but, it's all on Sakurai's and NAMCO's hands.. probably they're in the most hard point of view now.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It's not that what I'm talking about, yes I know that exists but you cannot deny that the Pacman most recognizable by the masses is 8 bit Pacman. 3D Pacman is relatively obscure if you compare them to the masses that know of his existence.
You could replace Pac-Man with Mario here and you wouldn't be wrong. :x

Point is, while 8-bit Pac Man is more iconic, how does that go against his design that has limbs? Because he's STILL iconic, limbs or not. I really doubt people will go "WHEN DID PAC MAN HAVE HANDS", because they're not THAT out of touch.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
...uh, I think you are starting to grasp here but whatever. go ahead and think that way if you really want to.
If Pac-Man's in, then it wasn't because of special treatment for Namco. Therefore, Sakurai didn't give Namco anything by getting Pac-Man in the game. Therefore, he would need to add something else if he wanted to give them a thank you gift.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
well whatever, I do agree he has a chance, but mostly not due to the special flag. I gotta go now anyways.

I still don't know how anyone can like that abomination

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Arguing 8-Bit Pac-Man v. 3D Pac-Man in regards to their iconic status is like arguing 8-Bit Mario and 3D Mario.

Different forms of the same character. They're the same character. It doesn't even matter what form is more iconic. No matter how you slice it, Pac-Man is a legendary character. Maybe it mainly came from the Arcade games, but it's still Pac-Man.

Morbi

Scavenger
You could replace Pac-Man with Mario here and you wouldn't be wrong. :x

Point is, while 8-bit Pac Man is more iconic, how does that go against his design that has limbs? Because he's STILL iconic, limbs or not. I really doubt people will go "WHEN DID PAC MAN HAVE HANDS", because they're not THAT out of touch.
I do not believe that Pac-Man and Mario are nearly as comparable.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If Pac-Man's in, then it wasn't because of special treatment for Namco. Therefore, Sakurai didn't give Namco anything by getting Pac-Man in the game. Therefore, he would need to add something else if he wanted to give them a thank you gift.
heard you the first time.

how would them getting pacman in the game NOT be a gift? that's just crazy!

anyways, I got to go now, maybe I'll be back in an hour or two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom