• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
If people are using the evidence of the nintendo site in favor of Miis, then I should be able to use this as evidence.

http://professorlayton.nintendo.com/

Out of all the third parties I checked (sonic, pacman, megaman) none of them have official nintendo sites, but layton does.
Yeah but one thing is first party and the other one the consideration of third parties and the criterion to their inclusion that we know are in special circumstances.

.n_n.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Never played a Professor Layton game, but I wouldn't mind him being in.

From what I've seen, they keep giving him new weapons and fighting skills that seems deliberately engineered to make him a fighter.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
whoever argues about Miis and gives reasons other than "they probably won't use the find mii symbol if they were playable" (which is really only a half-baked argument anyways) I feel is in denial. they pretty much are confirmed.

and I don't even care if Miis are in. I like the one I made of me, cause I think it actually looks like me.

Yeah but one thing is first party and the other one the consideration of third parties and the criterion to their inclusion that we know are in special circumstances.

.n_n.
What do you call a "special circumstance"? cause I'd call this one.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
whoever argues about Miis and gives reasons other than "they probably won't use the find mii symbol if they were playable" (which is really only a half-baked argument anyways) I feel is in denial.
So, do you think Miis are playable, or not? It's kind of hard to tell from the language you're using.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
So, do you think Miis are playable, or not? It's kind of hard to tell from the language you're using.
yes. I completely do. I feel that there's no way they'd be excluded at this point.

even though there's always a possibility of me being an idiot

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yes, but are Miis a game seller? Here, they're pratically hated. Do you have some unknown means of contacting millions of nintendo fans, who resound "We want Mii!"? You say I'm generalizing, but you're generalizing even more.
I'm simply going off sales, usage and even anecdotal evidence on my part. There has to be a reason Nintendo is using Miis everywhere, no? And a reason why their games keep selling very well? Tomodachi Life is on high demands right now, but of course I'm going off impressions and what a Gamestop employee told me, but the game sold extremely well in Japan.
Miis are universally appealing. They are a Nintendo All Star. How would that not factor in sales? And where did I generalize, or accuse you of generalizing?

You also have to consider this isn't Mario Kart. Having an avatar in a fighting game is more difficult. Anecdotal evidence time. I can't see my little brother playing a Mii with a set moveset. His favorite characters are Pit and Meta Knight, both aerial fighters with a sword(s). No other character comes close to his playtime with those two. Miis are most likely not going to be like that. I imagine the novelty of playing as himself will wear off rather quickly he finds the character less enjoyable.

But, let's say Miis are completely customizable. Will his Mii be able to pull off stuff similar to Pit and MK? If not, did Sakurai do a poor job of implementing Miis? Creating an avatar character in a fighting game is a huge, difficult investment. I would not be surprised at all if they decided it wasn't worth that effort.
I'm not arguing about how their fighting style will be, because frankly I haven't a clue. I'd imagine they'd have a set pick up and play fighting style (ala Mario), with the only customizable thing would be their appearance and body size and shape, which could be a bit tricky to balance because it could screw with hitboxes.

There's absolutely no reason to NOT include Miis aside from the difficulty in designing a moveset for them, but why shouldn't they be worth the effort? They're pretty important.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
...I can't decipher this post, sorry. Can't even tell with side your on.

Yes, but are Miis a game seller? Here, they're pratically hated. Do you have some unknown means of contacting millions of nintendo fans, who resound "We want Mii!"? You say I'm generalizing, but you're generalizing even more.

You also have to consider this isn't Mario Kart. Having an avatar in a fighting game is more difficult. Anecdotal evidence time. I can't see my little brother playing a Mii with a set moveset. His favorite characters are Pit and Meta Knight, both aerial fighters with a sword(s). No other character comes close to his playtime with those two. Miis are most likely not going to be like that. I imagine the novelty of playing as himself will wear off rather quickly he finds the character less enjoyable.

But, let's say Miis are completely customizable. Will his Mii be able to pull off stuff similar to Pit and MK? If not, did Sakurai do a poor job of implementing Miis? Creating an avatar character in a fighting game is a huge, difficult investment. I would not be surprised at all if they decided it wasn't worth that effort.
All is subjective does WFT, Game and Watch and ROB are game seller? heck even Ice Climbers? Nope, Miis are in even better place, with better reception and have more games each year as main characters that many of the main Nintendo All Stars.

Moveset is a moot point if Sakurai could make work with WFT, Captain Falcon and ROB what is stopping him to make a good gameplay for Miis, by now Sakurai could take Sandbag and make a cool moveset for it.

If you have read some of the interviews from Sakurai the most difficult characters to implement in Smash and that take a lot of resources are the Third Party ones (Snake, Sonic, Mega Man and probably Pac-Man), with Snake he make restrains for the character to not use guns and that his moveset resemble the stealth-action game where he come from, Sonic delayed Brawl and his moveset goes well to what he does in his games, Mega Man is more truthful to his original sources than what Capcom could even come up with him each time they include him in their fighting games and they are a company that does a lot of fighting games (Marvel vs Capcom, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Street Fighter, Darkstalkers).

.n_n.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
if this was drawn by a developer, I guess that confirms mewtwo. nothing else too interesting, though. except maybe toad. (but probably not toad though)
It looks like Toad is being used as a shield by Peach in that picture.

So nothing's changed, really.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Jigglypuff, Mewtwo and Game&Watch are pretty safe bets anyway. They're all probably in. :p

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
whoever argues about Miis and gives reasons other than "they probably won't use the find mii symbol if they were playable" (which is really only a half-baked argument anyways) I feel is in denial. they pretty much are confirmed.

and I don't even care if Miis are in. I like the one I made of me, cause I think it actually looks like me.

Legendary status, don´t know but it seems Snake was in for a favor of Kojima from Sakurai and pretty much Sanke is one of the most loved characters from video games that has great popularity around the world. Sonic, the fan demand was so huge that Sakurai delayed Brawl to include him, I don't think any other character could put so much pressure, not even a first party one. Mega Man once again the second most requested character from third party that was clamored from many fans around the world to be included.

I don´t think Layton has so much fan demand to be even ranked with these three stars and his pedigree is great but still a long way to go (multiplataform appearances Xbox, PS, Nintendo, PC and Mobile/Tablet devices with home console and handheld releases from his series to truly become a Behemoth and compare to these three) thats why is a really hard decision to consider Layton in the same level as Sonic, Mega Man and Snake.

.n_n.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

What about balancing issues? You know, height and weight? Will it automatically adjust the hit boxes, or will my Mii be forced to shrink? And will I have to become wide to, you know to accommodate the overweight Americans?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
What about balancing issues? You know, height and weight? Will it automatically adjust the hit boxes, or will my Mii be forced to shrink? And will I have to become wide to, you know to accommodate the overweight Americans?
Could they not use the same height and weight for all and only change the head?

.n_n.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Could they not use the same height and weight for all and only change the head?

.n_n.
Then that would take even more away from the whole point. Playing as yourself. I don't want to play as a mii that doesn't look like me all around. It would just be stupid. If I were to fight my sister, I'd find it strange for us to be the same height when in reality she's half my size. People should just stick to Photo Dojo.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Legendary status, don´t know but it seems Snake was in for a favor of Kojima from Sakurai and pretty much Sanke is one of the most loved characters from video games that has great popularity around the world. Sonic, the fan demand was so huge that Sakurai delayed Brawl to include him, I don't think any other character could put so much pressure, not even a first party one. Mega Man once again the second most requested character from third party that was clamored from many fans around the world to be included.

I don´t think Layton has so much fan demand to be even ranked with these three stars and his pedigree is great but still a long way to go (multiplataform appearances Xbox, PS, Nintendo, PC and Mobile/Tablet devices with home console and handheld releases from his series to truly become a Behemoth and compare to these three) thats why is a really hard decision to consider Layton in the same level as Sonic, Mega Man and Snake.

.n_n.
don't even pretend that snake is more loved worldwide before brawl happened. I for sure didn't know about metal gear before brawl. I'd even say that before brawl Metal gear was loved just as much as Layton is now.

either way, I understand your point, even though it wasn't even my argument. my argument about my link was more that Layton is more.... I'm not sure how to put this, um, "owned" by nintendo..? except not really? I guess I'm trying to say that nintendo and Level 5 are so cool about nintendo and layton that they let nintendo do their localization and host a website for their IP. therefore, I do think that it makes perfect sense to include layton. It seems to me that there would be little complications in the inclusion of layton. probably about the same level of inconvenience as second party characters (Pokemon or Fire Emblem) rather than 3rd party characters.

It's up to Sakurai, really.

Then that would take even more away from the whole point. Playing as yourself. I don't want to play as a mii that doesn't look like me all around. It would just be stupid. If I were to fight my sister, I'd find it strange for us to be the same height when in reality she's half my size. People should just stick to Photo Dojo.
or they could just make it like Mario Kart and have 3 general sizes with changed weight, speed and in this case, power properties to make it more like the mii in question.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
don't even pretend that snake is more loved worldwide before brawl happened. I for sure didn't know about metal gear before brawl. I'd even say that before brawl Metal gear was loved just as much as Layton is now.

either way, I understand your point, even though it wasn't even my argument. my argument about my link was more that Layton is more.... I'm not sure how to put this, um, "owned" by nintendo..? except not really? I guess I'm trying to say that nintendo and Level 5 are so cool about nintendo and layton that they let nintendo do their localization and host a website for their IP. therefore, I do think that it makes perfect sense to include layton. It seems to me that there would be little complications in the inclusion of layton. probably about the same level of inconvenience as second party characters (Pokemon or Fire Emblem) rather than 3rd party characters.

or they could just make it like Mario Kart and have 3 general sizes with changed weight, speed and in this case, power properties to make it more like the mii in question.
No, see with Mario Kart it's different, because you are sitting in a kart and not standing. And also with a fighting game it would be much more difficult for that to be done anyway. Think about it, having to switch around the hitboxes everytime someone else uses a mii? It sounds like that would take alot of work. Compared to just changing it to a speed in a racing game.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
No, see with Mario Kart it's different, because you are sitting in a kart and not standing. And also with a fighting game it would be much more difficult for that to be done anyway. Think about it, having to switch around the hitboxes everytime someone else uses a mii? It sounds like that would take alot of work. Compared to just changing it to a speed in a racing game.
that's why there's only 3 instead of 100 billion or whatever. I can see it being done just for the sake of having miis if they really wanted them.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
that's why there's only 3 instead of 100 billion or whatever. I can see it being done just for the sake of having miis if they really wanted them.
See, I don't think they want them enough to go through all of that trouble. Mii will not be playable. And I will remain thinking this until for some reason reveal them. I'm convinced they would have been in Brawl if they wanted them. But they weren't.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
You're really downplaying Metal Gear Solid. The original Metal Gear Solid was one of the best selling games on the PS1 and was extremely well received. This is a trend that is basically repeated for every main-series Metal Gear Solid game on Sony consoles. It was the franchise that put Stealth genre on the map basically.
I'm sorry, but even I fall into your same boat of not knowing who Snake was before Brawl, and I know that you're not a very representative sample.
Metal Gear Solid wasn't Sonic, Mario, or Pikachu, sure, but that doesn't mean that a lot of people didn't play it.
That's not to say that Brawl didn't introduce a lot of people to Snake, but a lot of people already knew who Snake was. Or "Liquid," "Big Boss," or whatever.
If you really need me to I'll pull up some sales figures or something, but just trust me on this.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
See, I don't think they want them enough to go through all of that trouble. Mii will not be playable. And I will remain thinking this until for some reason reveal them. I'm convinced they would have been in Brawl if they wanted them. But they weren't.
I'm on this side as well.
I just picture Mii as something that's out of Sakurai's vision for Smash Bros.
Especially since we already had a semi-customizeable avatar character. (Villager).

Not saying Miis are impossible, and Sakurai migth have changed his mind for them too...
But I still think Villager hurts Miis chances more than anyone else.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If we're talking about Miis, should I bring up my old and controversial analysis of the evidence for and against their inclusion?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon

Then you are not much into gaming? Or could it be that you didn´t care for PS1? Or perhaps you are more into classic games? Right now I don´t know how to answer your post but if you think Snake is not a major All Star in the video game world where he is maybe in the top 10 right now and before Brawl he was in that place, I don't know what to say.

.n_n.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm assuming the icon stuff? Sure. Even if it's not that, I'd like to read it .
The icon argument is a part, yes. But this is an analysis of everything related to Miis that we've seen in Smash so far. After all, from what research I've done into people's opinions on the Miis, most people are convinced of their playability because of all the "evidence" in their favor. So I figured, why not analyze that evidence and see how it holds up? Does it all actually guarantee the Mii's inclusion, or have we been a little hasty with our assumptions? So, with that said...

Why Miis?
Before I start analyzing things, I think it's important to get this bit out. Why should Miis be in Smash?

Well, for starters, Miis are near omnipresent nowadays. Ever since their introduction as avatars on the Wii, they've had recurring roles in numerous Nintendo games, to the point where it's difficult to keep track of them all. Aside from just games, Miis have become an icon for Nintendo as of late, with their prominence on the Wii being expanded upon on the 3DS (which is notable, considering that the 3DS has nothing to do with the Wii and didn't need to incorporate Miis, especially since there's no pun to be made) and the Wii U, the latter of which they are particularly prominent in through Miiverse, a new feature introduced that allows players to discuss games using their Miis. There's simply no denying the prominence Miis have now. So, when you have a game like Smash, a game that is known for bringing together Nintendo All-Stars together into one title, Miis seem like a good choice for being playable, as at this point they could certainly be considered Nintendo All-Stars. Of course, being an icon for Nintendo alone is not enough; characters also have to be capable of fighting it out with the other All-Stars on the roster. In other words, they need to have a move set to use. Fortunately for Miis, the numerous titles they've appeared in give them plenty of material to make a coherent move set out of, ranging from the sporting equipment from Wii Sports to magic and swordplay from Find Mii. Overall, Miis have a lot of good characteristics that would make them perfectly reasonable additions to the Smash roster.

Yeah, just wanted to get that part out of the way early. I do legitimately think that Miis are a justified addition to the Smash roster. Now obviously there is a ton of controversy regarding Miis being in Smash, with a lot of people hating the very concept of Miis being playable, and others who think that Miis would be too much of a technical challenge. Now, personally, I don't believe that either of these things would keep them out of Smash. Just as there are a lot of people who dislike Miis, there are a number of people who like them, and would enjoy seeing them in Smash (the existence of this thread is proof enough of that). And considering how Miis have been implemented into numerous other games at this point with no apparent difficulty, and considering how there are already very complex characters in Smash, a little bit of technical issues probably wouldn't stop Sakurai. So, the bottom line of all this is that Miis are justified, reasonable inclusions in Smash, and the reasons against their inclusion, while not beneficial to their chances, do in no way rule them out.

However, the main focus of this analysis isn't why Miis should be playable, or anything like that. The focus of this is to analyze what evidence we've actually seen in Smash 4 that supports or goes against the idea that Miis are playable in Smash.
Supporting Evidence
+ A stage based on Pilot Wings is present in the Wii U version of the game. This is notable due to the fact that the stage prominently features Wuhu Island, the setting for multiple "Wii" titles that heavily feature Miis. Miis have not been seen on the island thus far.

+ A stage based on Find Mii is present in the 3DS version of the game. As Find Mii is a game that's entirely based on Miis (compared to the Pilot Wings stage, which comes from a series that existed long before Miis), this is an ideal home stage for the Miis if they are playable.

+ A stage based on Tomodachi Life is present in the 3DS version of the game. Tomodachi Life is another game that focuses on Miis, in this case using them as citizens in a life-simulation game. Like the other stages before it, the presence of this stage in the game may hint at the appearance of playable Miis.

Well, I believe that's everything. If I left something out, do let me know. Now then...

Damaging Evidence
- The Pilot Wings stage, despite featuring Wuhu Island, may not mean much for the Miis being playable, as the Pilot Wings series has existed long before Miis have, and may simply be referencing the latest installment in the series as well as the older ones.

- The Miis appear as icons for players in Online mode, representing players and their "Global Smash Power." While not a de-confirmation by any means, this is an instance of Miis appearing in Smash in a role other than that of a playable character.

- One of the Miis biggest titles is Wii Sports, which many fans thought would be an ideal source to pull material from to make a move set for the Miis. However, another character on the roster, the Villager, already uses items like a bowling ball and boxing gloves in his own move set. Now, again, this obviously doesn't de-confirm Miis, as Little Mac was revealed sometime after the Villager, despite both utilizing boxing gloves for their move sets. However, it is something worth noting, especially considering that both the Villager and Miis are avatar characters who (would) use random props and items from their games to make a move set out of.

- A Mii appears in the cage of the Find Mii stage. As Toon Link has shown us, characters who appear in the background of stages are not necessarily de-confirmed. However, like with the Miis appearing in Online mode, this is an instance of Miis appearing in a role other than that of a playable character. While it's far from a de-confirmation, it is a strike against them.

- The Find Mii stage has a Find Mii crown for its series symbol (here we go...). This is a small but rather interesting detail that could mean a lot for the Miis chances. Within Smash, series that have representation through characters or stages are given a symbol to identify themselves with. The symbol for a series is usually something generic that can encompass whatever series it stands for as a whole (for example, the Mario series is represented by a mushroom symbol). The symbol of a series is then applied to any characters or stages that originate from that series. The Find Mii stage's symbol is rather interesting because of this. The stage is represented by a crown, which is clearly based on the crown worn by the King Mii that you work towards saving within Find Mii. In terms of representing Find Mii as a series, this fits in perfectly with the previous examples of symbols we've seen. However, if Miis were to be included as playable characters, the Find Mii stage would be an obvious choice for a home stage, as it comes from a game focused entirely on Miis. Given how closely the Miis and Find Mii are tied together, it would make sense that the stage would share a symbol with the Miis if they were playable. However, the crown symbol makes little to no sense as a symbol for the Miis. For one, the crown is distinctly based on Find Mii. If the Miis used this symbol, it would tie them to that specific game and that one alone, despite them appearing in numerous other titles aside from that (like Tomodachi Life, which is also getting a stage). Also, it is highly unlikely that the Find Mii stage will appear on the Wii U version of the game; thus, the symbol used by the Miis would have no meaning on that version of the game. Now, it could be argued that the Miis have no real series, and that the stages based on the Miis games could have their own symbol while the Miis have one of their own. However, this still doesn't make much sense. Despite not being part of the same series, the games based on Miis are still based on Miis. The games are all connected by the appearance of the Miis, thus making them "Mii" games. This is, in a way, similar to the Mario games. Games like Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, and Paper Mario aren't really part of the same series as, say, Super Mario Galaxy, being completely different genres and having multiple titles within that genre. Yet those games are still Mario games due to the presence of Mario characters and themes. Similarly, this translates into Smash, where stages based on Mario Kart and Luigi's Mansion share the same mushroom symbol that the rest of the Mario stages and characters do. Going off of that, it makes very little sense for the Find Mii stage to have a different symbol than that of the Miis if they are playable, considering that, even if it is distinct from other "Mii" games, Find Mii is still a "Mii" game. The most logical explanation for why the stage has a symbol different from that of the Miis is quite simple; Miis are not playable, and thus there is nothing to tie the "Mii" stages together, and each stage simply represents its own small series.

Well, I think that about sums it up. So, basically, what the Miis have going for them at this point are some stages based on games that Miis have featured prominently in. What they have going against them is them appearing in Smash in ways that aren't as playable characters, possible move set options being implemented in other characters, and the stages based on the "Mii" games possibly not associating themselves with any playable character.

In my mind, the negatives outweigh the positives. I find the Miis unlikely at this point.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Eh... it would still look like you, only difference it has a standard size I mean Olimar and Kirby should be smaller but they get a standard height and weight to fit with the roster, even if your Miis are not exactly in the same height or weight they could still be highly customizable in the looks department and the gender one like WFT and Villager.

.n_n.

Morbi

Scavenger
Then you are not much into gaming? Or could it be that you didn´t care for PS1? Or perhaps you are more into classic games? Right now I don´t know how to answer your post but if you think Snake is not a major All Star in the video game world where he is maybe in the top 10 right now and before Brawl he was in that place, I don't know what to say.

.n_n.
I do not believe that Snake was in the "top ten" gaming icons prior to Brawl; however, after his inclusion? Certainly, after that we had MGS4 and his appearance in Smash Brothers to increase his potential fan-base exponentially.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Eh... it would still look like you, only difference it has a standard size I mean Olimar and Kirby should be smaller but they get a standard height and weight to fit with the roster, even if your Miis are not exactly in the same height or weight they could still be highly customizable in the looks department and the gender one like WFT and Villager.

.n_n.
Eh, still, size for established characters like Olimar and Kirby is ok because there is no one like them. Mii's should have their own heights and weights.

@ False Sense False Sense Great post. The stage arguments make a ton of sense and made me even think Miis are even less likely now.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
@ False Sense False Sense Great post. The stage arguments make a ton of sense and made me even think Miis are even less likely now.
Thank you, I appreciate the positive feedback. I really do think that the Miis being "inevitable" is a questionable idea. For one, there's no such thing as locks or guarantees. On top of that, all the "evidence" in their favor may not be as favorable to the Miis as we thought. In fact, there's some rather damaging evidence against them. Sometimes I think people need to take a step back and really look at what we've seen so far, and what it actually means, rather than making early assumptions about inevitabilities and sticking with that idea no matter what.

Morbi

Scavenger
Thank you, I appreciate the positive feedback. I really do think that the Miis being "inevitable" is a questionable idea. For one, there's no such thing as locks or guarantees. On top of that, all the "evidence" in their favor may not be as favorable to the Miis as we thought. In fact, there's some rather damaging evidence against them. Sometimes I think people need to take a step back and really look at what we've seen so far, and what it actually means, rather than making early assumptions about inevitabilities and sticking with that idea no matter what.
Objectively speaking; inevitability does exist as the characters are already on the roster, we are just speculating in regards to who they might be. However, I certainly agree on the concept of Miis being utterly flawed. They have more merit than most Nintendo characters, that does not; however, mean that they have very much evidence in their favor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom