• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
See I don't think wft was a hype killer at all. It was such an out of the ball park newcomer that people couldn't believe it and had to see what it was all about. Which brought more people onto the website and got people talking. Not to say that smash needed the help, but every little bit counts.
I very much doubt WFT is what got people talking more than Mega Man in Smash or just the Smash reveal in general tbh - it's not like she sparked a dull flame, Smash was already a hot topic. Especially considering that Nintendo really only panders to Nintendo fans nowadays, and chances are pretty good that they would be checking the site regardless of who the newcomers were, with the few others likely spilling in because of Mega Man. Obviously it did get people talking, I agree, but the things said were hardly all positive.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I'd actually like to see if anyone can convice me that Palutena is even a decent character. XD
At the topic at hand, there are things far worse than Miis. FAR worse.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
"Little Mac would be sooooo boring! All he does is punch!"
"Ewwww Rosalina. She'd just be a Peach clone!"

On a different note, I'm loving these pessimistic outlooks, because if something super hype gets revealed, it'll be even more hype.
Hey, you forgot Chrom. Sure we can add a grass type Pokémon if you want that lame 3 starter element trio complete. Ivysaur is the answer. I sure as heck don't want to play as a grass type Pokémon that doesn't learn Razor Leaf or Vine Whip.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I very much doubt WFT is what got people talking more than Mega Man in Smash or just the Smash reveal in general tbh - it's not like she sparked a dull flame, Smash was already a hot topic. Especially considering that Nintendo really only panders to Nintendo fans nowadays, and chances are pretty good that they would be checking the site regardless of who the newcomers were, with the few others likely spilling in because of Mega Man. Obviously it did get people talking, I agree, but the things said were hardly all positive.
Not creating hype =/= hype-killer.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'd actually like to see if anyone can convice me that Palutena is even a decent character. XD
At the topic at hand, there are things far worse than Miis. FAR worse.
As in moveset or just generally her character?

Though since you're asking that, you're probably dead set on your opinion of her anyway, so I'm not sure why you're asking.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not creating hype =/= hype-killer.
I think it was a hype killer for many people, not enough to scare them away from the game (though a few drama queens acted as such) but enough to hinder the excitement for some from prior to her reveal.

People did get over it sure, as they will with Mii, and it was smart for Sakurai to reveal her early, but I do think she killed more hype than any other newcomer (luckily the hype was massive at that time so it didn't really falter to any great extent).

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
I think it was a hype killer for many people, not enough to scare them away from the game (though a few drama queens acted as such) but enough to hinder the excitement for some from prior to her reveal.

People did get over it sure, as they will with Mii, and it was smart for Sakurai to reveal her early, but I do think she killed more hype than any other newcomer (luckily the hype was massive at that time so it didn't really falter to any great extent).
She didn't kill any hype I'm sorry but that's a little dramatic to say that. Especially since like you said she was announced right when the game was announced. Like I said smash might not have needed the help but bc she was a controversial choice the chat rooms were buzzing. Not many people were talking about mega man bc he was so expected.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'd be fine with Robin. He's a better choice than Chrom, at least.

Miis deserve their bad reputation, though, and belong in a garbage can. They look uglier than that fake Ridley from the CSS "leak".
Can't say I disagree about Miis. I am not a fan of them and I certainly don't want Miis in the game. That said, I am sure there are people out there who would love to play as "themselves" in Smash Bros, so...

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I thought WFT was brilliant.

Exercising is one of the things I enjoy a lot so seeing a character all based on that made me feel all giddy inside. I now have characters based on two of my three favorite hobbies (video games lol, boxing and exercising) so consider me a happy man.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
She didn't kill any hype I'm sorry but that's a little dramatic to say that. Especially since like you said she was announced right when the game was announced. Like I said smash might not have needed the help but bc she was a controversial choice the chat rooms were buzzing. Not many people were talking about mega man bc he was so expected.
I can tell you on here it most certainly did kill hype for a bit, not among everybody obv, and ofc nobody on here will get so totally worked up over a single character they abandon speculation as a whole - but there were a notable amount of people disenchanted by the reveal. I can't put things any more clearly, I saw them for myself... I'm even the first one who "reported" on the WFT on swf.

I'm not saying the hype remained dead, nor did it die completely, but many people for sure weren't happy about the character.

Also, she was not announced when the game was revealed, she was announced later.

Morbi

Scavenger
I thought WFT was brilliant.

Exercising is one of the things I enjoy a lot so seeing a character all based on that made me feel all giddy inside. I now have characters based on two of my three favorite hobbies (video games lol, boxing and exercising) so consider me a happy man.
I agree with this sentiment, I still believe Wii Fit Trainer was one of the best inclusions in Smash Brothers history. She was perfect. I cannot think of a better character to be perfectly honest.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
I can tell you on here it most certainly did kill hype for a bit, not among everybody obv, and ofc nobody on here will get so totally worked up over a single character they abandon speculation as a whole - but there were a notable amount of people disenchanted by the reveal. I can't put things any more clearly, I saw them for myself... I'm even the first one who "reported" on the WFT on swf.

I'm not saying the hype remained dead, nor did it die completely, but many people for sure weren't happy about the character.

Also, she was not announced when the game was announced, she was announced later.
So it killed hype on this website and that's it? Because everywhere else all I saw was that it caused a conversations. People may have thought it was an odd choice but I never saw anyone say how they were not excited for this game because of it.
And she was still announced during e3. So essentially when the game was announced was she was announced

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So it killed hype on this website and that's it? Because everywhere else all I saw was that it caused a conversations. People may have thought it was an odd choice but I never saw anyone say how they were excited for this game.
And she was still announced during e3. So essentially when the game was announced was she was announced
I can't speak for other websites, but given the character I very much doubt the backlash was exclusive to this site.

And just because people were talking about it doesn't mean they were only saying good things about her, on here many were saying what a waste of a slot she was and how it had decreased their interest in the game.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
I can't speak for other websites, but given the character I very much doubt the backlash was exclusive to this site.

And just because people were talking about it doesn't mean they were only saying good things about her, on here many were saying what a waste of a slot she was and how it had decreased their interest in the game.
This is the last I'm speaking on the subject I never said it was all good, but it caused conversation which meant people were talking about the game which is good for press.
And for people saying that they weren't interested in the game anymore is such a major stretch that I doubt that many people would say that especially since the game was just announced with what seemed to be one of the most requested characters. Seems like a lot of personal opinion rather than fact to me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This is the last I'm speaking on the subject I never said it was all good, but it caused conversation which meant people were talking about the game which is good for press.
And for people saying that they weren't interested in the game anymore is such a major stretch that I doubt that many people would say that especially since the game was just announced with what seemed to be one of the most requested characters. Seems like a lot of personal opinion rather than fact to me.
And I never said it was all bad, but the character did without a doubt cause more backlash than any of the other newcomers so far, and yes, while people claimed they were turned off of the game due to her, obviously it was just a bunch of big talk in most cases, but WFT didn't instantly transition from a disliked character to a liked one, it did take a small while as the majority warmed up to her.

I'm also not tangling my own views of her into this, while I don't like the character, I never claimed she ruined the game or decreased my interest in it, and I do understand why she was chosen, and it makes sense. All I'm saying is that after her reveal, people weren't really calm and collected about it, and those statements were indeed uttered - even if many went back on them later.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
^neon is correct. I'd seen it myself on numerous websites, in comment sections. Gamefaqs, gonintendo etc.

Things such as "who would want that crap? This game is gonna blow if those are the choices we are gonna get"

"it's like marvel vs capcom 3 all over again"

And to that degree, just because you can't imagine or didnt see people being that ridiculous queen, doesn't mean it didn't or can't happen.

Last edited:

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
^neon is correct. I'd seen it myself on numerous websites, in comment sections. Gamefaqs, gonintendo etc.

Things such as "who would want that crap? This game is gonna blow if those are the choices we are gonna get"

"it's like marvel vs capcom 3 all over again"

And to that degree, just because you can't imagine or didnt see people being that ridiculous queen, doesn't mean it didn't or can't happen.
Guess I only made it to the websites where people were rational and didn't give up on a smash game because of one character lol but I guess that's just how irrational some people are. But I still dont believe for one second it was a hype killer. With every character people are going to dislike them but to go as far as saying hype killer is a bit drastic and that's just my opinion. Just as I was super extremely majorly disappointed in greninja but I wouldn't even call him a hype killer even tho I saw people furious for not getting mewtwo, a better character announced for such a big direct, or even just a better pokemon in general

Ps. I swear I'm done commenting hahaha

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
WFT didn't instantly transition from a disliked character to a liked one, it did take a small while as the majority warmed up to her.
The majority will "warm up to" literally any character put into Smash, ever.

Morbi

Scavenger
The majority will "warm up to" literally any character put into Smash, ever.
I agree, but that does make the roster seem irrelevant. It has to matter to an extent, but to what end? I am sure a few detrimental characters are okay as long as some popular choices mitigate that notion and make the bad decisions negligible. However, if the entire roster is comprised of repugnant choices, I am not so certain that the majority would "warm up" to them.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
However, if the entire roster is comprised of repugnant choices, I am not so certain that the majority would "warm up" to them.
"The characters don't matter, it's all about the stages, the items, the gameplay..."

"They already have all the big characters anyway, who cares???"

"I'd like to see you do better than Sakurai. Respect his choices, it's his game!!"

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
So, do any of you guys think that all this recently revealed Fire Emblem content means anything for E3? Or is is just Samurai being Sakurai...

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
D

Deleted member

People never know what they really want.
inb4bkuparants

It's more like people want whatever they want whenever they want and make too many expectations that "have" to be fulfilled.
And when those expectations aren't met, half will look to the bright side and enjoy the end result for what it is, and the other half will cry foul and treat the end result as garbage because they feel entitled to have every single of their expectations met.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
So, do any of you guys think that all this recently revealed Fire Emblem content means anything for E3? Or is is just Samurai being Sakurai...
Or it's just fans looking into things way harder than they should.

Morbi

Scavenger
Or it's just fans looking into things way harder than they should.
It is not even that hard to look into it; Ike (who did not really have any other reason to be revealed other than... well the notion that he was a Brawl veteran) instead of the more ideal (in terms of marketing) Wario and a Fire Emblem stage on the Friday for the Smash Direct? It would be harder to not look into it.

Last edited:

bilbo43

Smash Cadet
I have a simple solution if you dont like a certain characters inclusion in the games.... dont play as them.

Ive never been able to master jigglypuff, doesn't mean i think she should be cut from the game.

I wasn't overly excited at villager's or WFT's inclusion, but it doesn't necessarily mean I wont go out and buy the game.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
There's that word again. I fail to see how being disappointed/disliking a character addition makes one entitled. Does complaining about tripping or Brawl's gameplay makes one entitled as well? After all, both were additions that (generally) didn't meet many's expectations.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Probably nothing for E3, though it does mean there could be a decent chance that a newcomer from that series would be revealed pre-release.

Also, Opposum said something very important about characters and what is "hypeable" and not.

All I'll say is this, since I've been noticing it a lot.

You guys know that Smashboards isn't representative of what the whole world gets hyped about, right? The "popular" opinion here doesn't necessarily correlate to the popular opinion over all. So saying one character is or isn't a hypeable character based on here alone is asinine.
Also Miis are totally popular characters amongst "casuals". Miis may be lame (outside of Tomadatchi Life) but they certainly are logical choices to be shown at E3 due to their icon status and their sheer presence in Nintendo history, certainly more logical than most other charaters that gets brought up as possible E3 reveals.

bilbo43

Smash Cadet
As much as id like a chrom/Lucina/robin/anyone FE reveal for e3, I see any other Fire Emblem announcement for E3's chances being diminished because of the recent content updated.

I cant see two characters from the same series and a new stage all being released within like a 2-3 week period unfortunately. Does not mean in any way shape or form however that they wont be included.

The only exception I can see is if the entire roster is revealed, however there will be some surprise characters left for the games, surely.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Just tacking on to WFT's initial hype-killing. I saw it first hand, too. Out of my friends and I, only one was thrilled to see her, and he's always the one to like the strange choices xD

But, of the rest of us, myself included, we started to see the appeal in her by the next day, and started to really look forward to her. She isn't exactly my cup of tea, but she looks like she'll be a ton of fun to mess around with.

So, in short, she did cause an initial hype-kill, but it was so short that it may as well not have been there.

That's how I see it.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
Just tacking on to WFT's initial hype-killing. I saw it first hand, too. Out of my friends and I, only one was thrilled to see her, and he's always the one to like the strange choices xD

But, of the rest of us, myself included, we started to see the appeal in her by the next day, and started to really look forward to her. She isn't exactly my cup of tea, but she looks like she'll be a ton of fun to mess around with.

So, in short, she did cause an initial hype-kill, but it was so short that it may as well not have been there.

That's how I see it.
So you weren't excited for the game because of her? You saw her and despite of everything that was just announced thought to yourself "I don't want this game anymore" or "this game looks stupid and I won't play it". Because that what a hype killer is. Somethig that makes you not want the game anymore. That's a big difference from just a character you didn't like or thought was a wasted spot
I'm not trying to say everyone liked her because I know that's so not true. But to go as far to say hype killer is a bit drastic in my opinion

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
WFT at the very least gave me a good laugh when she was first shown, so I'm fine with her.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
So you weren't excited for the game because of her? You saw her and despite of everything that was just announced thought to yourself "I don't want this game anymore" or "this game looks stupid and I won't play it". Because that what a hype killer is. Somethig that makes you not want the game anymore. That's a big difference from just a character you didn't like or thought was a wasted spot
I'm not trying to say everyone liked her because I know that's so not true. But to go as far to say hype killer is a bit drastic in my opinion
It didn't exactly go that far, but since it happened after everything else, the amount of hype killed was the freshest thing in our minds, so we kinda ignored everything else. We were being narrow-minded at the time, focusing on how we didn't like WFT, instead of looking for the appeal and keeping the other awesome announcements in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom