• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Falco's down special was useful you just needed to time it.
Compare it to how it was in Melee, where you can jump cancel, combo out of it, can actually get vertical kills with it and able to pressure you're opponent if they're shielding. It was one of those moves that just didn't need any drastic change, I mean I can understand why they did it to make Falco a more unique character, but that shouldn't have came at the expense of the usefulness it originally had.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
Compare it to how it was in Melee, where you can jump cancel, combo out of it, can actually get vertical kills with it and able to pressure you're opponent if they're shielding. It was one of those moves that just didn't need any drastic change, I mean I can understand why they did it to make Falco a more unique character, but that shouldn't have came at the expense of the usefulness it originally had.
It's still better to have two characters with different moves one being good the other being bad than having two characters with a good clone move

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
It's still better to have two characters with different moves one being good the other being bad than having two characters with a good clone move
Not really, especially when you take balance into consideration. Just because something is unique doesn't always make it better. Would you consider FLUDD a better Down B for Mario than the Mario Tornado, a move that actually helped his recovery?

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
Not really, especially when you take balance into consideration. Just because something is unique doesn't always make it better. Would you consider FLUDD a better Down B for Mario than the Mario Tornado, a move that actually helped his recovery?
Well that's a fair point. But I think if they fix it along with Link's new boomerang yes those two moves could be better

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Melee is in the past. I wish people would get over it.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
If melee is better, of course some people will play it over brawl. If there's one of the two smash games that are in the past it's brawl because there will always be those who stay with melee. Brawl will join 64 very soon

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Also going back to the Falco discussion.

My biggest beef with Brawl Falco was his monotonous playstyle. He was a typical zoning character in Brawl, whereas he was so versatile with a lot of options in Melee.

It just makes me wonder why people wonder there's such a fixation to the uniqueness of moves...aesthetically. He played differently from Fox in Melee as is. Falco was a defensive monster who can KO quick, while Fox was a combo monster that favored rushdown. They're still clones, mind you, but they played different.

They did in Brawl as well, and while Brawl Falco wasn't bad by any means, I liked Falco when he wasn't stuck with one playstyle. Imo, he was functionally more unique in Melee than in Brawl. Decloned in Brawl, yes, but not more unique.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Also going back to the Falco discussion.

My biggest beef with Brawl Falco was his monotonous playstyle. He was a typical zoning character in Brawl, whereas he was so versatile with a lot of options in Melee.

It just makes me wonder why people wonder there's such a fixation to the uniqueness of moves...aesthetically. He played differently from Fox in Melee as is. Falco was a defensive monster who can KO quick, while Fox was a combo monster that favored rushdown. They're still clones, mind you, but they played different.

They did in Brawl as well, and while Brawl Falco wasn't bad by any means, I liked Falco when he wasn't stuck with one playstyle. Imo, he was functionally more unique in Melee than in Brawl.
I actually prefer Brawl Falco; I usually play zoning characters, so the specialization was ideal for my play-style. I did not even mind his reflector to be honest, it was a great poking tool. After that, I prefer his new normals. His recovery seems better, but I feel as though that has more of a correlation with the Brawl engine than it does with his actual character.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I actually prefer Brawl Falco; I usually play zoning characters, so the specialization was ideal for my play-style. I did not even mind his reflector to be honest, it was a great poking tool. After that, I prefer his new normals. His recovery seems better, but I feel as though that has more of a correlation with the Brawl engine than it does with his actual character.
Fair enough, I won't blame anyone for preferring the new Falco. I'm actually more of a zoner as well, it's how I tend to play with Melee Falco. (And why I actually do use Brawl Falco as well)

One thing I'll definitely disagree with is his normals. I hated most of them in Brawl, especially the new FSmash, but at least DAir was the same.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Fair enough, I won't blame anyone for preferring the new Falco. I'm actually more of a zoner as well, it's how I tend to play with Melee Falco. (And why I actually do use Brawl Falco as well)

One thing I'll definitely disagree with is his normals. I hated most of them in Brawl, especially the new FSmash, but at least DAir was the same.
To be fair, I just like his new normals because they are new. Although, his Up-Tilt is fabulous.

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
Agreed, I enjoyed Brawl's Falco too. I'm one of the few who actually like's the new reflector, even though that may be because I hadn't learned how to waveshine and stuff until recently.

Does Fox's reflector have much competitive use in Brawl? If it doesn't I don't see why people are always clamoring for him to have the old shine back. It's not like we are ever going to have the other advanced techniques that made the shines so good in melee anyway.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I'm kind of mixed on brawl's Falco, on one side i enjoyed his playstyle in melee more, on the other side Brawl gave his moves much needed swag.

D

Deleted member

Guys

:falco: Falco has:
"DON'T TRY ME"
"HAD ENOUGH ALREADY?"
"HANDS OF MY PREY"
"PIECE OF CAKE"
"PERSONALLY, I PREFER THE AIR!"
"YOU'RE OFF YOUR GAME, FOX!"
and "YOU AREN'T WORTH THE TROUBLE!"

:falcomelee: Falco has:
"Mission Kompleto"

Discussion over.

Morbi

Scavenger
Guys

"DON'T TRY ME"
"HAD ENOUGH ALREADY?"
"HANDS OF MY PREY"
"PIECE OF CAKE"

"Mission Kompleto"

Discussion over.
Thank you for resolving that. Truth always prevails eventually.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Guys

"DON'T TRY ME"
"HAD ENOUGH ALREADY?"
"HANDS OF MY PREY"
"PIECE OF CAKE"

"Mission Kompleto"

Discussion over.
So :falcomelee: wins? Glad we're in agreement.

MISHUN KOMPURITU > all

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So :falcomelee: wins? Glad we're in agreement.

MISHUN KOMPURITU > all
The door is this way ---->

Unless you are allergic to grain and/or cake. If that is the case, I can understand why you like :falcomelee: better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I shouldn't be. o.O I can see his other posts just fine, just don't see that. Huh. >.>;

EDIT: Oh, wait, I'm stupid, it wasn't directed to me. :(

Here's the roster I envision, to clarify my thought process:

View attachment 15470

Green = Confirmed
Red = Unconfirmed Vet
Blue = Unconfirmed Newbie

(On second thought I could have swapped the positions of DK+Diddy with Yoshi+Wario and have it make a bit more sense. Hrm. V3, here I come!)
I would honestly be fine with this roster :awesome:
We need more villains, they're just as important as getting more females.
I disagree. More females will help to increase the female gamer audience, while villains are more for "completing" the reps for a franchise and "coolness". There are more real life females than villains (I hope). I only give females slightly more importance, though.

I don't think being a female or villain is a deciding factor, anyways. Villains like Ridley and K.Rool should be in for a lot of reasons and not just for being a villain.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I swear, if Snake comes back with the same up tilt with the same ludicrous range and everything...
The competitive side will cry a river because Snake was nerfed and that's a no-no.
I don't have anything against the competitive scene, but I'd like to see more balance this time.

Khoru

Smash Champion
I disagree. More females will help to increase the female gamer audience, while villains are more for "completing" the reps for a franchise and "coolness". There are more real life females than villains (I hope). I only give females slightly more importance, though.

I don't think being a female or villain is a deciding factor, anyways. Villains like Ridley and K.Rool should be in for a lot of reasons and not just for being a villain.
female characters aren't strictly the only draw for female gamers, but it's nice not having the roster made wholly of dudes
my demographic's had like two nintendo characters ever haaaaaa

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
My girlfriend enjoys playing as the villain characters in Smash and Mario Kart.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom