• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
Not really a fan of the character, but Ghirahim's chances are just a bit better than people give him credit for. I still think a Zaldo newcomer is less than likely at this point, and even if we were to get another there's a few characters that carry a more weight in the series he would have to beat out.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Not really a fan of the character, but Ghirahim's chances are just a bit better than people give him credit for. I still think a Zaldo newcomer is less than likely at this point, and even if we were to get another there's a few characters that carry a more weight in the series he would have to beat out.
Zaldo isn't a Nintendo franchise bro. :troll:

Seriously, Ghirahim is possible, but as you said, unlikely.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Not trying to hate, but really; what does Bandana Dee contribute that could make him interesting? I really wanna know.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
female characters aren't strictly the only draw for female gamers, but it's nice not having the roster made wholly of dudes
my demographic's had like two nintendo characters ever haaaaaa
Ikr? Smash is such a huge sausage fest.

But, I'd really like to see some statistic where including X amount of females in a video game increased sales/female players. Now, I could make some educated guesses, but, I think the overall "picture" of Smash 4 will help broaden the audience and make the game more accessible (but who knows). What I mean by "picture" is the overall art direction (some changes to vets make them look more cheerful/welcoming), atmosphere, and the overall accessibility of the game. Also, Nintendo seems to actually recognise the competitive scene this time (many in-game changes like FD versions of some stages, invitational tournament and GC controller adapter woop woop!), so we'll see what happens in the future.

My girlfriend enjoys playing as the villain characters in Smash and Mario Kart.
Likes to play as villains!? That sound very suspicious... I'd keep an eye on her if I were you, BKupa.

Jk jk.

I like to play as characters who have fun playstyles... or naturally "click" with me. It's usually not the character themselves, and I will drop mains if I'm not fond of how they play in the next installment (done that before in the past).

Last edited:

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
Not trying to hate, but really; what does Bandana Dee contribute that could make him interesting? I really wanna know.
He gives you food in the 3DS game. Also spear yaaaaaaaaaay

Oh, whoops! But still, bandana Dee and Ghirahim won't be in

Yes, Ghirahim doesn't stand a CHANCE compared to Tails and Krystal. Obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:

andimidna

Smash Master
Smash Bros Newcomer tiers chance (99) top Roster.png

Honest opinion of likelihood here.
I think these are the top 40 most likely newcomers/returning Melee veterans, in this order. (however it changes daily)
Used to post these a lot as "likelihood tiers"
But I'm not going to explain, I'll just give the range% of each row and see what reactions I get :p

Goddess Tier: 99-100%
S Tier: 95-90%
A Tier: 89-80%
B Tier: 79-70%
C Tier: 69-50%
D Tier: 49-40%
E Tier: 30-25%
F Tier: 20-10%
G Tier: 9-7%

So... what do you guys think? *gulp*

D

Deleted member

Honestly, those two characters being added would cause over representation of their respective franchises
You know people are gonna tell you "And adding Krystal wouldn't?"

edit

Huh, look at that!

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
My girlfriend enjoys playing as the villain characters in Smash and Mario Kart.
Sure, it makes sense, but plenty of guys pick female characters, too, but I believe Nintendo would want to promote females more than villains. Looking at the smash roster it seems like the case.

D

Deleted member

Big dumb deal, I haven't talked about her in days.
And? Some other characters haven't been talked about in days & they're doing OK.

All I'm sayin dude is just wait a bit until we get more info because Star Fox debates at this point are almost on par with Fire Emblem debates.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
And? Some other characters haven't been talked about in days & they're doing OK.

All I'm sayin dude is just wait a bit until we get more info because Star Fox debates at this point are almost on par with Fire Emblem debates.
Don't turn this around on me, Tillie! YOU asked me to cool my jets about Krystal.

D

Deleted member

Don't turn this around on me, Tillie! YOU asked me to cool my jets about Krystal.
OK, Theres nothing wrong with supporting or liking her (Congratulations if you do!) but when you start saying these things like "Ghirahim ain't gonna make it because I said so!" & you flaunt Krystal around along with saying things like "She has a better chance than him!", then you're asking to be laughed at & Krystal supporters are going to look bad.

All I'm saying is, be careful what you say because the irony will hurt.

I'm not gonna hound on you, I'm just asking you to be careful. No hard feelings.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sure, it makes sense, but plenty of guys pick female characters, too, but I believe Nintendo would want to promote females more than villains. Looking at the smash roster it seems like the case.
Understood. My point was that it's shortsighted to generalize and say that "females need to be added to appeal to females" or "villains need to be added to increase roster coolness." Bottom line, if a character is important and appealing to a large number of people, let's get them added.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Understood. My point was that it's shortsighted to generalize and say that "females need to be added to appeal to females" or "villains need to be added to increase roster coolness." Bottom line, if a character is important and appealing to a large number of people, let's get them added.
Yeah I agree, I didn't mean to generalize, rather just say the assumed intention of Nintendo. It explains the inclusion of Pink Gold Peach for example.
I'm not like that, though. I would rather add an important and appealing character like you said and not someone because they're female, villain, retro, lance-wielder or magic user or whatever else the smash community says that "needs more".

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't put female and villain characters in the same category of "demographic". The intrigue in having more villains doesn't revolve around fulfilling the desire of some unspoken demographic of criminals and terrorists who take the time out of their busy, heartless schedules to Smash it up with their scoundrel friends. The reason villains are so exciting is because, often times, you aren't given the option to play as the villain. It hypes people to know that they'll have the option to play as an interesting character that hasn't been accessible in their own series.

At the same time, "female" shouldn't really be a demographic, either, just to make that clear. While diversity is great, characters should still get in based on their own merits. I just wanted to throw out there what people might mean in saying "we need more villains."

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
View attachment 15506
Honest opinion of likelihood here.
I think these are the top 40 most likely newcomers/returning Melee veterans, in this order. (however it changes daily)
Used to post these a lot as "likelihood tiers"
But I'm not going to explain, I'll just give the range% of each row and see what reactions I get :p

Goddess Tier: 99-100%
S Tier: 95-90%
A Tier: 89-80%
B Tier: 79-70%
C Tier: 69-50%
D Tier: 49-40%
E Tier: 30-25%
F Tier: 20-10%
G Tier: 9-7%

So... what do you guys think? *gulp*
I like this. Just a couple of thoughts:
1-2 tiers too High:
Sceptile
Mach Rider
Duck Hunt dog
Anna

1 tier too low:
Miis
Bandana Dee

Absent:
Diskun
Vaati
Hades

Perfect:
Goddess-A tier
C tier
Ray
Ghirahim.

Morbi

Scavenger
I wouldn't put female and villain characters in the same category of "demographic". The intrigue in having more villains doesn't revolve around fulfilling the desire of some unspoken demographic of criminals and terrorists who take the time out of their busy, heartless schedules to Smash it up with their scoundrel friends. The reason villains are so exciting is because, often times, you aren't given the option to play as the villain. It hypes people to know that they'll have the option to play as an interesting character that hasn't been accessible in their own series.
Villains also tend to be the most prominent characters aside from the main protagonist, of course.

andimidna

Smash Master
I like this. Just a couple of thoughts:
1-2 tiers too High:
Sceptile
Mach Rider
Duck Hunt dog
Anna

1 tier too low:
Miis
Bandana Dee

Absent:
Diskun
Vaati
Hades

Perfect:
Goddess-A tier
C tier
Ray
Ghirahim.
I had a larger version with around 60 characters that included those, but at that point, there were so many that I considered equal that listing them all didn't mean much, and there was always someone I'd forget.

I give Sceptile a 26% chance
I give Mach Rider a 24% chance
I give Anna a 25% chance
I give Duck Hunt Dog a 11% chance
I give Miis a 30% chance
I give Waddle Dee a 8% chance
I give Diskun a 6% chance
I give Vaati a 3% chance
I give Hades a 1% chance

What do you rank them that would put them in different tiers?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
This is also true.

And both of our reasons are why seeing Ridley playable for once in his life would be SO GLORIOUS.
Yeah, I'm hoping that Sakurai's gag about Ridley during the direct was a trolling, I had a hard time against him in Super Metroid, and boy do I want to play as him before I die.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm hoping that Sakurai's gag about Ridley during the direct was a trolling, I had a hard time against him in Super Metroid, and boy do I want to play as him before I die.
I hear you. For a while after that Direct, I gave up on Ridley, but I wanted to be proven wrong so badly. As of now, I'm in more of a state of cautious optimism. I understand he's in a pickle, but I could see Sakurai making it to where beating him on the Pyrosphere=playable Ridley. Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom