• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
View attachment 15506
Honest opinion of likelihood here.
I think these are the top 40 most likely newcomers/returning Melee veterans, in this order. (however it changes daily)
Used to post these a lot as "likelihood tiers"
But I'm not going to explain, I'll just give the range% of each row and see what reactions I get :p

Goddess Tier: 99-100%
S Tier: 95-90%
A Tier: 89-80%
B Tier: 79-70%
C Tier: 69-50%
D Tier: 49-40%
E Tier: 30-25%
F Tier: 20-10%
G Tier: 9-7%

So... what do you guys think? *gulp*
I know it's your opinion but, Ghirahim more likely than Bandana Dee?, Sceptile more likely than Bandana Dee?, Freaking Bayonetta more likely than Bandana Dee?!
All I can say is LOL.
No offense.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I had a larger version with around 60 characters that included those, but at that point, there were so many that I considered equal that listing them all didn't mean much, and there was always someone I'd forget.

I give Sceptile a 26% chance
I give Mach Rider a 24% chance
I give Anna a 25% chance
I give Duck Hunt Dog a 11% chance
I give Miis a 30% chance
I give Waddle Dee a 8% chance
I give Diskun a 6% chance
I give Vaati a 3% chance
I give Hades a 1% chance

What do you rank them that would put them in different tiers?
Here are my personal ratings:
Sceptile: 10%, F-G tier
Diskun: 15%, F tier
Mach Rider: 6%, G tier
Duch Hunt Dog: 7%. G tier
Miis: 60%, C tier
Waddle Dee: 25%, E-F tier
Hades: 5%. G tier
Anna: As much as I love her: 1%, Z tier.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Not being biased, but Krystal has a far better chance than Bandana Dee. I mean, let's be honest, Krystal is much more branched out as a character, and can present more like able traits to the game.

I'm not counting Bandana Dee out, or overshooting Krystal's chances, but between the two, Krystal has more of a push.

@ Jason the Yoshi Jason the Yoshi Remember what I said about the poor Krystal arguments? You're doing it again.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
View attachment 15506
Honest opinion of likelihood here.
I think these are the top 40 most likely newcomers/returning Melee veterans, in this order. (however it changes daily)
Used to post these a lot as "likelihood tiers"
But I'm not going to explain, I'll just give the range% of each row and see what reactions I get :p

Goddess Tier: 99-100%
S Tier: 95-90%
A Tier: 89-80%
B Tier: 79-70%
C Tier: 69-50%
D Tier: 49-40%
E Tier: 30-25%
F Tier: 20-10%
G Tier: 9-7%

So... what do you guys think? *gulp*
Move Roy up, move Sceptile, Anna, BJ, Mach Rider, and Chibi-Robo down.

But of course you probably won't.

andimidna

Smash Master
Here are my personal ratings:
Sceptile: 10%, F-G tier
I'm still considering the possibility that Gamefreak/Sakurai/whoever could have been able to see his popularity rise coming. The grass type may not seem significant, but the remakes are, and if they're geniuses like I think they are-- maybe they could have predicted this popularity spike after Charizard/Greninja trailer and Hoenn confirmed. It's a big "if" so I stuck his rank to the middle of the lower 50. I'll probably lower it some more.
Diskun: 15%, F tier
I've always wanted to know about him, but I've never seen his support thread. I tried considering him before Takamaru hype, but I never understood what he could do... could you explain him to me?
Mach Rider: 6%, G tier
I had him ranked high before the Takamaru news and I haven't fully switched all retros to match the news that IMO makes Takamaru more likely than not. I might move him down a couple slots, but not more than 15%
Duch Hunt Dog: 7%. G tier
Pretty much where he is. I can push him down a spot I guess. :drshrug:
Miis: 60%, C tier
Eh, they're profile indicators for online. They're on a stage. They were all over the direct. They're everywhere. I really don't want them playable too.
It just can't be explained why the Mii stage is not a Mii stage--- and is representing Find Mii. Its unprecedented to have a character that has stages from their games represented with game icons that don't represent the series. I just don't see it at the moment. This 30% was actually triple what I had them ranked at post-direct
Waddle Dee: 25%, E-F tier
Why are we even considering a Kirby character? There is no push for one. I'd only expect one if there was a character in the series left that made sense. But after 2 out of 3 of the main 3 were added in the last installment, I'm not seeing it, no. He has nothing to offer that would be appealing. He's just a Waddle Dee with a Bandana (generic Waddle Dees have spears in Triple Deluxe). Dull, generic, and lifeless. All personality of the character has been created by fans of the character. Which may be a large group here, but is a rarity to find anywhere else. I made sure this was true on Miiverse recently by checking if the character had a random spark of popularity by making a post asking about Kirby newcomers and Prince Fluff was the winner by far. 2nd was None, and 3rd was Dee. I'm not saying we should consider Prince Fluff, I'm just saying we shouldn't seriously consider any of them. There are so many series that could use another/ a first character-- if I had to make a priorities list Kirby would be close to the bottom. I see no merit in the character at all and I am sick of his cult fanbase on Smashboards pushing him down the throats of everybody that just doesn't care. Until I see something pointing to him, he stays where he is.
Hades: 5%. G tier
With Palutena almost confirmed, I can't see a 3rd KI rep as likely, and if a 3rd KI rep was definite, I'd rank Medusa at 90% and Hades at 8%-- I consider her the main villain of KI, so I think he's just a percent.
Anna: As much as I love her: 1%, Z tier.
But she's lucky so mascot.
Plus red hair that's not blue.
And her birthday is June 11th-- E3 reveal confirmed.
Ok I'm not even trying anymore:troll:

Yea, I'll move her down some more. But not that much
Thanks though.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I think Bandana Dee has a decent chance. He seems to be appearing in many of the new Kirby games. Also, isn't Sakurai the developer of the Kirby series? I don't think he's afraid to over-represent Kirby anymore.

The only thing that I think kills Krystal's chances is the fact that we already have 3 Star Fox characters, which many argue is more than enough. Who knows, maybe E3 will announce a Star Fox sequel with Krystal having a giant role and Sakurai decides to add her.

I think our best bet is to wait for E3 to try and shape up our prediction rosters. Maybe we'll see the direction the roster will go because it's hard to speculate who's next as of now.

D

Deleted member

I can already tell there is bound to be rage once E3 rolls by so much that Hades will use your anger fuel as a heater for his bedroom.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Bandana Dee has a chance, but not a big one. He has had one recent major role (RtDL) and a number of minor roles. Hardly a must have character.

If he keeps up his current rate of appearances, though, I see him being a top contender for Smash 5.

Edit: And this is coming from a Bandana Dee fan.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Bandana Dee has a chance, but not a big one. He has had one recent major role (RtDL) and a number of minor roles. Hardly a must have character.

If he keeps up his current rate of appearances, though, I see him being a top contender for Smash 5.

Edit: And this is coming from a Bandana Dee fan.
Nah he's not appearing in 5 either. That's coming out this winter.

D

Deleted member

Maaan, if it weren't for Palutena, I'd totally go for Hades as a Kid Icarus newcomer...than again, Medusa would be nice.

Aeolia

Smash Cadet
Things are going to become nuclear when we get the final roster, some ground rules are in order before the incoming "In your face *******, I ******* told you that ****** was going to ******* be on Smash I ******* called it'' posts.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
I know this is off topic, but I have to ask; when people talk about the Sal Romano leak, why do they speak as if it is real? I see a lot of users here say "when Chorus Men are revealed...". What makes this leak so plausible? Because he claimed to know that one unexpected character was going to be confirmed at E3 2013 makes this 100% true? :dizzy:

andimidna

Smash Master
Smash Bros Newcomer tiers chance (992) top Roster.png

Better?
I fit more characters. Gave the leaked their own row. Changed positions... yep.

CONFIRMED: 100%
SS: 95-90%
S: 89-80%
A: 79-70%
B: 69-50%
C: 49-40%
D: 39-29%
E: 28-12%
F: 11%-7%
G: 6%-2%

Made an SS tier just so I could group Palutena, Pac-Man, and Chrom w/o putting them on the same group, and I didn't need an H tier.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I know this is off topic, but I have to ask; when people talk about the Sal Romano leak, why do they speak as if it is real? I see a lot of users here say "when Chorus Men are revealed...". What makes this leak so plausible? Because he claimed to know that one unexpected character was going to be confirmed at E3 2013 makes this 100% true? :dizzy:
Because apparently the Sal guy owns a website and wouldn't make **** up for views.

andimidna

Smash Master
I see a lack of legitimacy in the leak, but it is possible, so don't count it out completely.
I think it has only a 30% chance of being real, but the reactions to it are pretty much balanced 50/50

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
View attachment 15524
Better?
I fit more characters. Gave the leaked their own row. Changed positions... yep.

CONFIRMED: 100%
SS: 95-90%
S: 89-80%
A: 79-70%
B: 69-50%
C: 49-40%
D: 39-29%
E: 28-12%
F: 11%-7%
G: 6%-2%

Made an SS tier just so I could group Palutena, Pac-Man, and Chrom w/o putting them on the same group, and I didn't need an H tier.
Honestly I feel Ridley's row and up are gonna be in the game.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Don't wanna be a downer, but...
Isn't Cranky disconfirmed due to the return of Jungle Japes?

Unless they pull an Alfonzo on a nostalgia stage...

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Maaan, if it weren't for Palutena, I'd totally go for Hades as a Kid Icarus newcomer...than again, Medusa would be nice.

Am I the only one who doesn't want Palutena and Medusa, but prefers Hades? I mean, Palutena's cool, but she's just better relegated to codec/announcer duty, and Medusa was doomed to obscurity the moment she died a second time in Uprising. She's almost the only casualty in that whole game, and that's saying a lot.

And the second time she bit it, it was brutal and deserving. Never rooted for a villain as much as I rooted for Hades during that mission.

I dunno, Hades just seems like he's got way more potential as a fighter.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Am I the only one who doesn't want Palutena and Medusa, but prefers Hades? I mean, Palutena's cool, but she's just better relegated to codec/announcer duty, and Medusa was doomed to obscurity the moment she died a second time in Uprising. Twice. And the second time was brutal and deserving. Never rooted for a villain as much as I rooted during that mission.

I dunno, Hades just seems like he's got way more potential as a fighter.
Palutena makes more sense though since she's the second most important character to the series.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Palutena makes more sense though since she's the second most important character to the series.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Pit is the most important character. Hades is the second most important character because without him, there would have been absolutely no conflict in the game and it wouldn't have been Kid Icarus: Uprising.

It would've been Kid Icarus: A Comfortable Chat About Current Events Over Tea.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Pit is the most important character. Hades is the second most important character because without him, there would have been absolutely no conflict in the game and it wouldn't have been Kid Icarus: Uprising.

It would've been Kid Icarus: A Comfortable Chat About Current Events Over Tea.
There still would've been the conflicts for Kid Icarus and Myth and Monsters, which only involved Palutena and Pit (and Medusa for the former). So Hade's role, while very important for one game, doesn't match Palutena being important for all three games in the franchise.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
There still would've been the conflicts for Kid Icarus and Myth and Monsters, which only involved Palutena and Pit (and Medusa for the former). So Hade's role, while very important for one game, doesn't match Palutena being important for all three games in the franchise.
I'm sorry, but that just doesn't really convince me that Palutena's more important overall. Kid Icarus was bare bones for story and, though I haven't beaten it in ages, I don't even recall seeing Palutena in that game, but Uprising is rich in story and lore. The characters have great personality, but the one character that stood out for me was Hades. Such a great character, villain and the perfect voice actor, and his reveal caught me off guard. It was as memorable a moment as the 'Would you kindly?' Bioshock revelation. Nothing Palutena or Medusa really does or says even comes close to that.

I mean, don't get me wrong, no matter what I want or think, Palutena's probably going to wind up playable anyway, since that's where the general consensus is going and Sakurai's probably biased enough about his successful revive to slip her in there.

Doesn't really mean I gotta like it, right?

Though I'll also accept a playable Palutena if I can have a Hades announcer belittling the fighters the entire time. Would never turn that off, ever.

Last edited:

bilbo43

Smash Cadet
Ive made this point once, ill make it again.

Mario already has pseudo series in Yoshi, Wario and DK. Who feels that any of those characters feel out of place in a mario game? nobody. So all the argument that a series cannot have more representatives than mario I feel is missing this point because mario already has 8 characters announced for this game and theres a strong possibility that Wario and another DK character may be announced.

Good luck to any series supplying 10 characters like Mario probably will into this Smash Brothers. Even the most bombarded speculated Pokemon or Zelda rosters wont have more than 8 characters.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm sorry, but that just doesn't really convince me that Palutena's more important overall. Kid Icarus was bare bones for story and, though I haven't beaten it in ages, I don't even recall seeing Palutena in that game, but Uprising is rich in story and lore. The characters have great personality, but the one character that stood out for me was Hades. Such a great character, villain and the perfect voice actor, and his reveal caught me off guard. It was as memorable a moment as the 'Would you kindly?' Bioshock revelation. Nothing Palutena or Medusa really does or says even comes close to that.

I mean, don't get me wrong, no matter what I want or think, Palutena's probably going to wind up playable anyway, since that's where the general consensus is going and Sakurai's probably biased enough about his successful revive to slip her in there.

Doesn't really mean I gotta like it, right?

Though I'll also accept a playable Palutena if I can have a Hades announcer belittling the fighters the entire time. Would never turn that off, ever.
I honestly have to disagree with that. Granted, Kid Icarus was low on story in the first two installments, but that doesn't negate her role in those games at all. She was very important, serving as Pit's "Zelda" in a sense. Even ignoring those games, Palutena was very important in Uprising as she served a strong role throughout the entire game, she never faded from the spotlight and played that role to the end. Hades was very important as well, and yes the game wouldn't be the same without him, but I would extend the same luxury to Palutena as well. Also, in terms of personality she was also very lively, and her banter with Pit and the other characters was very likeable, so she's not lacking in that department either.

Now, I won't argue that Hades wasn't an awesome character nor your opinion of preferring him over her as I can understand that, but I will say that Palutena was much more important then him overall in terms of her role in the franchise. I don't think Hades quite matches her in that regard, and due to that, I feel she has stronger merits to get into SSB4.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I honestly have to disagree with that. Granted, Kid Icarus was low on story in the first two installments, but that doesn't negate her role in those games at all. She was very important, serving as Pit's "Zelda" in a sense. Even ignoring those games, Palutena was very important in Uprising as she served a strong role throughout the entire game, she never faded from the spotlight and played that role to the end. Hades was very important as well, and yes the game wouldn't be the same without him, but I would extend the same luxury to Palutena as well. Also, in terms of personality she was also very lively, and her banter with Pit and the other characters was very likeable, so she's not lacking in that department either.

I'm not going to argue that Hades wasn't an awesome character, but I will say that Palutena was much more important then him overall in terms of her role in the franchise.
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on some things and agree on others.

Though, Palutena disappears from the spotlight for four or five missions, does she not? You pretty much rely on Viridi throughout those. I don't recall the game perfectly, honestly, but that stuck out at me. Granted, it wasn't necessarily her fault, but hey.

Also, the banter between all the characters was likable and made the game all the better. Could've dialed back some on the fourth wall breaking, but what was there was amusing enough.

andimidna

Smash Master
Palutena's playable. We can just leave it at that.

If you want to over-analyze story importance and call one-time Hades the 2nd most important character of the series, fine. It's not going to change the fact that there will never be a KI game without the character the series is named after in Japan, and that she's playable in Smash Bros. :)
She was the 2nd most prominent and popular. In almost every chapter. There's nothing going against her, really.
And if there's a 3rd KI character, which there won't be, expect Medusa. She's may not be the most ___, ____, or ____--but she's the most iconic villain. Also, uniqueness.

Hades was a good character, but I wouldn't expect him when there's an obvious frontrunner of the series. His time may come once he gets his next role, which will happen some day. :)

I'll be supporting only Medusa and Viridi for SSB6 tho

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
That's an awfully strange way to spell Hades. :troll:

Anyway, we should agree to act gentlemanly (or womanly) if one of us happens to be wrong. I'm going to side with Hades. You guys can side with Palutena.

This should be fairly interesting to see.

D

Deleted member

NOTE TO MODS: There is no Flaming within in this post; don't confuse a lengthy argument for a heated one!

@aldelaro5
Now that I have time to dig deep in that long response of yours....I'll go ahead and do it.

You said something that I didn't expect to be said because for me, it shouldn't make sense.

Since you asked… REALTALK!!!

I'm going to do this in segments
I'll go ahead and do music for this too since it's going to be long and segmented as well.

This is partially true. What is true is that yes smrpg mario, M&L mario and most of the mario including Dr mario DOES feel different to the main mario. What isn't true is saying "there are aspects such as partners, items, etc. that give the impression that it isn't just plain ol' Mario.". How I interpret this is that you're basically claiming that just because he's still mario, even adding something that doesn't even match the mario series, it's still the same character and shouldn't be considered as guaranteed to be unique and his uniqueness would be an "illusion". However, since you're precising you're point, I'm just going to tell you what you said that just seems wrong.
I'm not saying that the potential for uniqueness is an "illusion", but I am saying that the fact it's the same character should give at least the notion that the odds of being at least a semi-clone are rather high.
We've had:
Dr. Mario
Young Link
Pichu
Toon Link

all of which were added separately from their counterparts yet were designed to be copies of the originals despite:
-Dr. Mario never using anything remotely like Mario's Cape and generally not doing any of the things Mario does (due to Dr. Mario's backstory of working endlessly on cures for diseases alongside Nurse Toadstool, which implies an entirely separate canon to the rest of the Mario franchise, but I'll explain that later)
-Young Link having the Masks from Majora's Mask as an entirely unique moveset option.
-Pichu not even being capable of using Skull Bash (nor is Pikachu past Gen II, but whatever) or Quick Attack (or even Agility, the move Pichu uses as its version of the attack).
-Toon Link having other weapons/items at his disposal to use such as the Skull Hammer, Deku Leaf, Gust Jar, Cane of Pacci, Slingshot, Roc's Cape, Mole Mitts, Fire Rod, Quake Medallion, Bombos Medallion, Bombchus, etc. to where he didn't need to be a full copy of Link.

As I've repeatedly said, we've only had two alternate versions of existing characters that were not clones: Sheik and Zero Suit Samus.
And that's only because they were initially tied to the original character and were designed with direct contrasts of style in mind as opposed to similarities as how the separate additions were.

First , "TTYD's Paper abilities (which are rather pointless for Smash outside the Plane being used for a glide)" just WHAT??? So, not only you're claiming that his ability doesn't make him unique but you're also claiming that they just aren't useful for smash? Do I seriously have to quote some move sets for you to understand that yes you can use them and yes it makes him unique? If we just take the paper ability, we have
  • the airplane of course as a possible up b
  • the tube as a rolling dodge
  • the paper thin as sidestep
  • as for the boat, it could be used as swimming animation on the water
The fact that the only reasonable role for the non-plane ones are rolling dodge, sidestep, and swimming animations (which I've actually envisioned as their roles, mind you) prove my point that they ARE pointless for Smash.
It's just aesthetic effect that doesn't matter in the long run; they don't affect how Paper Mario works. Unlike say, a glide like I mentioned.
Which is the only role the plane would fit; not an Up B. Do you not understand how the plane works? It's practically tailor-made for the gliding system introduced in Brawl.
Now if you're going to tell that those aren't moves (except the up b), let me remind you that those are JUST the power up. If you consider "paper ability" as "ability that only him as a paper can do", well you have the ultra jump (for me, as a down throw) and the super/ultra hammer where he folds into himself (for me, as a neutral combo and side throw with a special gimmick: if the foe is thrown into someone else, he take some damage). I found also that when he would peels stickers in sticker star would make a good back throw. Also, this is only a part of the potentials but for some reasons, you're ignoring the biggest part: partners. You REALLY need to explain this to me because by saying that it's JUST mario after ignoring big potential is like saying that rosalina isn't unique because I ignored the luma. Seriously, why it doesn't make a difference? It's only in the Paper Mario games that you have those mechanics. Also, this can include an action command gimmicks (yeah that was my second gimmick potential).
-No, I consider "paper ability" as something that literally has to do with Mario being paper such as the TTYD curses. Not something that Mario can feasibly do not in the paper artstyle but simply hasn't done yet. Obviously, Mario can't just fold himself into an airplane while flesh and bone, can he?

-The Ultra Jump? From SMRPG?

Apparently "Paper" Mario can't do that, since only SMRPG is listed for that technique.

Aside from that, you're not seriously saying that Mario (a.k.a. Jumpman) has to be in paper state to Jump on people are you? If you are, that's where this conversation ends.....

-The Super/Ultra Hammers?
You mean these?

Mario may not have to fold himself to use them, but Mario has used these (especially what is known as the "Super" Hammer in Paper Mario) in many games. Especially notable being in other RPGs such as SMRPG, where the standard Hammer from Paper Mario comes from.

-That gimmick about damaging foes by throwing others into them? Smash has that already. It's not character-exclusive nor is it throw-exclusive. It's part of the physics of knockback. Melee even features a Bonus you can achieve by KO'ing an opponent by running into them as you're sent flying.

Unless you're talking about hitting a nearby opponent with your grabbed opponent's body as you're swinging him/her.
Which Mario and Luigi do in their back-throws.

-"The way he pulls stickers" doesn't say much for how "unique" to Paper Mario it is. I've seen how he does it; Mario could do it without being rendered in paper style.

-I know I'm ignoring partners. Every Mario RPG has partners. ....except Paper Mario Sticker Star.
And you know what? It wouldn't be any different from having "Seven Stars Mario" summon Mallow, Geno, "Seven Stars Peach" and "Seven Stars Bowser" now would it? They aren't reflective of what Mario can do in the game, and neither are the partners of Paper Mario.
If the "best" way to reflect "Paper Mario" is to have him be a summoner for the sake of variety, something's terribly wrong.

-"Action Command"/Timed Hits are not exclusive to Paper Mario. They're in all Mario RPGs as well. Aside from that, Action Commands are already featured in Smash in the Guard variety through Perfect Shielding and in the Attack variety for range in quite a few attacks, where the attack is stronger when it connects with the opponent from farther away or vice-versa.

Also, yes the fact that he doesn't feel like mario applies to his other iteration. But here, I have my issue again can you do a playstyle and keep it consistent on a whole moveset? To my knowledge, Paper Mario is the one that goes the furthest so this explains why I still said that.
Given time, I probably could for both. However, I'm not the best when it comes to keeping the flow on a particular style; I'm more along the lines of coming up with numerous ideas that sound good and deviate from the standard Mario regardless of whether it fits the flow (which is honestly how you've shown to be as well; you and I are similar in that regard).
But at the same time, it's not enough to know they can be unique; the argument is not that they can. It's whether or not they will. The answer is leaning towards no.

Sorry, but you're point about toon link doesn't tell the full story. Toon link roughly worked the same as link even in his own games. What this means here is that the maximum you could push his potential is ability that only him can do but because he was based on link, playing the same way and feel the same as link, his abilities are quite similar to the main link. In fact do remember that the main reason he was added was because the toon art style became significant enough to warrant consideration but I don't think that you could push his potential beyond the semi clone anyway. In fact, his play style is almost the same as link just modified a little. So, yes his art style IS the main thing that makes him "different" (not by much of course) but claiming that Paper Mario is a toon link case is TOTALLY FALSE! First, the maximum you can push to his potential is easily crushing the semi clone line. Second, you don't play the same as Paper Mario like you would with Mario (I think we can agree that this is the case of most mario like I said above). Third, his abilities aren't similar to mario (mainly due to him coming from an RPG which means different mechanics). Finally, I can agree that the character was based on mario but the RPG mechanics? They ARE mario-esque but do they come from the main mario series canon? That's because it's a branch of the mario series which means the same flavour but represented differently (even to the point of changing the mechanics). Wind waker however is from the main series and the art style is mostly just aesthetic (except the form of toon link being lighter and shorter). In fact, as a semi clone, he would uses items from wind waker but here, the art style doesn't make any difference: the item used is just different which let me remind you that it's still similar to link which uses a lot of items. So, I'm asking this question: How does Paper Mario becomes a toon link case ONLY because of the different art style? Because that's not JUST because of the art style that he's unique.
Please use the Enter Key more often; long run-on paragraphs like this are rather difficult to read through without straining my eyes....:urg:

Read my point above on Toon Link; there was plenty of material to work with that weren't "bow, boomerang, bombs", and enough to replace many of the same copied slashes of the sword. Of course, you can't really get rid of certain aspects such as the sword attacks and still be able to call him "Link", but still.

Also, don't bring up "main Mario canon" in this.
There is no set canon in the Mario franchise; Paper Mario fits within the same exact canon as Super Mario Bros.....
Goombario said:
This is a Goomba. Goombas are what you'd call "small fries." Actually, they're pretty much the smallest fries. ...Hey, wait! I'm one of 'em! You can jump on them or whack 'em with the Hammer. These guys are old school. They've been around since you were in Super Mario Bros.!
...and even Mario Party, Mario Tennis, and Mario Golf.

Luigi's Diary said:
Page 1: Once again, my brother went on an exciting journey. Once again, he went alone. It's so unfair! I remember the carefree days when we played Golf and Tennis and had Parties. I remodeled the house and made a secret basement my brother has no idea! It's the perfect place to write in you, my secret diary.
The only exception being Dr. Mario as stated above. Namely because plenty of elements from the Dr. Mario franchise causing major plotholes to the canon, with Mario being too preoccupied with designing cures for diseases and wiping out viruses/healing people to do anything else (except when Wario swipes the Megavitamins to sell during flu season in Dr. Mario 64), Nurse Toadstool being his trusted assistant who's always by his side (instead of governing the Mushroom Kingdom), and Dr. Mario 64 screwing entirely with Wario Land 3's continuity by featuring its enemies and final boss. I don't want to have to explain why...
And then there's Miyamoto's statement in regards to the Dr. Mario games, which implies the Dr. Mario games aren't canon (and thus are their own canon):
GameInformer interview with Shigeru Miyamoto said:
SM: There's really only one rule in terms of the things that Mario does. Generally, it's that he's more on the blue-collar side. He's hard-working, and certainly much more physical in nature. So, I think that a doctor is sort of an unexpected and perhaps unbelievable role for Mario. Perhaps the Dr. Mario you're thinking of was maybe, in some way, not necessarily legitimate.
And why argue about RPG mechanics when the M&L RPGs have damn near the same mechanics with a bunch of twists of their own?
Might as well have RPG Mario & Luigi in Smash instead; they're nothing at all like their platformer counterparts (especially since they are designed to work as a team), and are from a much more successful RPG franchise than Paper Mario.

They also happen to be visibly different (though were designed more like the platformer versions in Dream Team (more noticeable with Luigi)) :awesome:

I think should have been more clear earlier because you don't seem to understand why I keep repeating "infinite potential"
I think it's time for me to drop the big Bob-Omb: if you knew what "infinite potential" means, you wouldn't be saying it.
Every character in the entire span of everything has "infinite potential". Why is this?
Because what "infinite potential" means is that there is no possible end to the number of ideas in the realm of imagination within the human mind.

Perhaps you though merely of the words "infinite" and "potential" separately.
For something to be infinite, it has to be limitless or endless in space, extent, or size. Something that is impossible to measure.
Potential is generally referring to an unrealized ability. Though in this case, you're going for the philosophical context in that it's any "possibility" that a thing can be said to have.

In other words, you're saying Paper Mario has endless possibilities. Which, depending on how one looks at it can both be considered true and false.
When one factors in that, well, anything is possible? Then yes, Paper Mario has "endless possibilities". However, like with the above definition of infinite potential, this applies to everyone not just Paper Mario. Even Random Goomba #52 from Super Mario Galaxy has "endless possibilities" because anything can literally be done to make him work.

On the flip side, the sole fact that Paper Mario isn't some ever-changing living individual, and is instead a fictional character, his "possibilities" aren't quite so "endless" since all possibilities are limited to all the content within the Paper Mario games. It may seem endless due to the sheer number of options regardless of feasibility, but they are quite finite.

Long story short, "infinite potential" is not something to advertise; either because it applies to everything or because its a false statement by definition depending on perspective.

I was already proven that he COULD be a clone (that was even discussed in his thread which I am the op). Now, let me say my thing with less bias: If you consider ALL his potential, I agree that you CAN make him as a clone. However, what you would need to know is that it wouldn't make any sense. In fact, you're using the Ganondorf case are you? I agree that it's quite the random character to do this but now, there's 2 main issues that makes that if he ever ended up being a clone or semi clone, Sakurai would've contradicted himself. Here's a the motivation behind Ganondorf being a clone:

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37915502&postcount=7506

Ok, just this would be very contradictory. Paper Mario has only one character that has a similar body type and it's mr game & watch. Even there, mr game & watch represent how the systems were animated by lcd and to reflect this, he was made 2d and have frame by frame animation. Paper Mario is the complete opposite; he's very fluid (folds into a tube) and it's not perfectly 2d there's a 3d like when he would use super/ultra hammer but yes he's mostly 2d. So, the motivation behind ganondorf wouldn't match him so, let's try the one with dr mario:
Mr. Game & Watch is actually designed as a 3D model. He is, however, put under the "flattening" code at all times (whereas every other character only has it on when on the Flat Zone stages or Hanenbow).

And in cases where "3D" characters like Mario (and Luigi) are forced to act like G&W?

It shows that (in the case of Mario, Dr. Mario and Luigi specifically) Mr. Game & Watch really has a similar body type to a regular character. The only reason he seems awkward is due to his frame-by-frame movements, his thick outline, and his animations often putting his limbs in strange positions only noticeable when someone else of his body frame mimics him.

So really, are you going to tell me now that this somehow can't be done to Paper Mario as well?

Other than literally being Mario with a modded model under flattening effect, I'd say this is a good example of it working.

Despite being... kinda weird but I think most people knew about the music part. What I'm interested here isn't that it has nothing to do with Paper Mario but that do you see something that seems odd about the motivations? I can tell you: It sounds like they wanted to add clones for the sake of having more characters (read more on the source above). In fact, melee became to a point where they just wanted to add characters (I don't have any source so if someone knows where it was told, please, send the link to me but I know it can be proven).
.....one of the first things I've talked about in our discussion when it was about Dr. Mario specifically was that he was added specifically to be a clone, which doesn't mean it's all he can do.
It's common knowledge that the clones in Melee were quick last-minute decisions.

So, let's get back to your point. What does this all have to with Paper Mario? It has to do with the fact that Ganondorf and dr mario were deliberately made as clone/semi clone to just have more characters. But today, the game already has a bigger roster than melee so now, there's no real reason to add new clone. The only one that has a reason are those who were present before like dr mario.
Irrelevant. It didn't stop Toon Link from being added as a clone in Brawl. Nor did it stop Lucas and Wolf, newer semi-clones.
It also didn't stop Sakurai from planning on Toon Zelda with a Smash-original Toon Sheik form as a lower priority clone addition. Same with Dixie Kong as a semi-clone after the initial Diddy/Dixie tag-team concept was scrapped.
People were so damn sure there would be no clones in Brawl, let alone new ones. They were wrong.
And now, we see that Toon Link has returned and is still as much a clone as he was before. It's foolish to assume no newer clones will ever be added again. Especially when there is such a character that is highly requested in Japan to be a clone; Black Shadow (taking Ganondorf's old moves while Ganondorf gets a revamp).

So now, I repeat a lot "infinite potential" right? there's 2 reasons for it. 1: it directly counters the fact that he's JUST another mario and 2: because it's crazy what you can do with him. You deliberately tried to make a clone moveset while in the end, accepting this would mean that I would have just contradicted myself.
Already covered why "infinite potential" is not a good thing to say. Repeating it doesn't make it any better.

I said this earlier when talking about dr mario:

So, here's my question: does the "signature" or playstyle you claim would feel natural for him and translate pretty well in ssb4? That's the main problem I have: it doesn't because he clearly doesn't play like mario. I'm talking about a playstyle that would look like this "light but quite versatile in every situation". So, how does playing like mario feels natural for him? Since it makes no sense for him to be a clone or semi clone now, how can he have hight chance to be now? Sakurai even said that he can't bring all the character back even if he'll try to add as much as he can so, how could he seriously waste an entire gigantic potential and development time that he needs for a simple clone?
It all comes down to subjectivity. The way I see it, if it's "good enough" for Doc, it's "good enough" for Papes. At least Papes actually does have feasible means to be a clone while Doc requires things being made up just to be like Mario.

I also need to point out that the FACT there's a "time-crunch" so to speak means that clones, being as you said, simple, would be less wastes of time than an equal number of newer unique additions.
I'm not advocating for a bunch of new clones, don't get me wrong. But if Sakurai's hell-bent on bringing as much veterans as feasibly possible back while still adding some Newcomers, then new clones would be the most efficient way to do so.
However, there is the other possibility that there's just not going to be too many Newcomers planned on in which case Paper Mario isn't getting in at all. (Which is how I see it; if a 2nd Mario were to show up, it's going to be Doc's return and he's going to be a clone/semi-clone. But I don't see any cut Melee veteran returning except Mewtwo.)

I just don't understand your point. In fact, the "JUST another mario" argument overshadows his true potential. It leads to the belief that he's a toon link case while he's far beyond that. It's frustrating that such an argument exists because people judge a book by its cover. I'm telling you it just can't be a clone because if it would happens, it would be intentional and it wouldn't even follow how the character play at all.
I'm not judging the book by the cover. I'm judging the book by the contents without being clouded by the (excuse the bad pun) papier-mâché decorations that try to distract me from analyzing each page.

DISCLAIMER: this wall of text was big IMO and so, if I sated things as fact, do consider that those are interpretation of them and so, not undeniable.

That's it. Sorry for the late reply but school takes priority over big argument.
And I apologize for the late reply as well.

....not so much the length. :p

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913

If you want to over-analyze story importance and call one-time Hades the 2nd most important character of the series, fine. It's not going to change the fact that there will never be a KI game without the character the series is named after in Japan, and that she's playable in Smash Bros. :)
She was the 2nd most prominent and popular. In almost every chapter. There's nothing going against her, really.
And if there's a 3rd KI character, which there won't be, expect Medusa. She's may not be the most ___, ____, or ____--but she's the most iconic villain. Also, uniqueness.

Hades was a good character, but I wouldn't expect him when there's an obvious frontrunner of the series. His time may come once he gets his next role, which will happen some day. :)

I'll be supporting only Medusa and Viridi for SSB6 tho
Oh, Ok. Because Zelda, the namesake of the Legend of Zelda series, has totally been in every LoZ game ever. She totally didn't miss out on Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons/Ages, or Zelda 2. Just saying, the name argument is one of the stupidest I've seen in a long time.

andimidna

Smash Master
Oh, Ok. Because Zelda, the namesake of the Legend of Zelda series, has totally been in every LoZ game ever. She totally didn't miss out on Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons/Ages, or Zelda 2. Just saying, the name argument is one of the stupidest I've seen in a long time.
Never said one was because of the other.
I put 2 points in 1 sentence.

I can see where the confusion is coming from though. But I meant "there is never going to be a KI game without Palutena-- whose name is in the Japanese title"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom