• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I could imagine a scrollable select screen for the 3DS version. Though I think it would probably look more or less like it always did on the Wii U version....

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't planning on posting anything today, especially not a roster but things have changed due to the bad taste left in my mouth from another roster I saw earlier. Please understand @ EbonyRubberWolf EbonyRubberWolf that I'm not making fun of you, it's just that if the roster you expect ends up happening...I'll go insane.

Anyways, here is my roster. I don't feel like explaining to much on it as I'm sure a vast majority of you would be happy if it turned out to be the final roster. The only "odd" choice I made was the inclusion of Lip as playable but I'm kinda OCD so I had to fill that spot with something so my roster looked nice and even.
New Roster Layout Roster.png

Also understand that I'm a huge Fire Emblem fan, but I'd be upset if Chrom got in instead of the Tactician as Chrom doesn't offer anything different from Ike and Marth to truly set him apart. But then again I do have Falco up here...at least he looks very different from Fox...that counts for something...right?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well, in five days, I suspect we'll all have answers to our questions. If Chrom isn't the sole newcomer, or if the 40-character limit is exceeded, then I guess I'll post my farewell(and mission statement) and accept my permaban.

Wagers like this are fun, though. Now I understand why folk toxx themselves. :D
Actually?

You would rather leave the site forever than admit you were wrong?

I'll be seeing you pal.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I wasn't planning on posting anything today, especially not a roster but things have changed due to the bad taste left in my mouth from another roster I saw earlier. Please understand @ EbonyRubberWolf EbonyRubberWolf that I'm not making fun of you, it's just that if the roster you expect ends up happening...I'll go insane.

Anyways, here is my roster. I don't feel like explaining to much on it as I'm sure a vast majority of you would be happy if it turned out to be the final roster. The only "odd" choice I made was the inclusion of Lip as playable but I'm kinda OCD so I had to fill that spot with something so my roster looked nice and even.View attachment 15479

Also understand that I'm a huge Fire Emblem fan, but I'd be upset if Chrom got in instead of the Tactician as Chrom doesn't offer anything different from Ike and Marth to truly set him apart. But then again I do have Falco up here...at least he looks very different from Fox...that counts for something...right?
Wasn't Lip essentially deconfirmed cause lip stick is an item again?

ACDC

Smash Journeyman

Anyways, here is my roster. I don't feel like explaining to much on it as I'm sure a vast majority of you would be happy if it turned out to be the final roster. The only "odd" choice I made was the inclusion of Lip as playable but I'm kinda OCD so I had to fill that spot with something so my roster looked nice and even.View attachment 15479

ROB and MII? what a bad choice. Other that that I find it pretty decent but Pacman and Mewtwo seem quite unlikely

Louie G.

Smash Hero
ROB and MII? what a bad choice. Other that that I find it pretty decent but Pacman and Mewtwo seem quite unlikely
ROB isn't going anywhere. He has a unique moveset and is an important part of Nintendo history.
I guess we'll be cutting Game and Watch next.

Mii is also an important part of Nintendo history, starring in the best selling game ever and showing up almost everywhere.

Pac-Man is a shoo-in and should be treated as such. You'll see in 5 days. :demon:

Mewtwo we've discussed so many times that I'm not going to bother.
I am going to do that if Ridley is not confirmed to be a playable character. :happysheep:
Lolbai :troll:

Last edited:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Wasn't Lip essentially deconfirmed cause lip stick is an item again?
Maybe but then again the Fire Flower is an item too but Mario and Luigi don't seem to have a problem throwing fireballs. I just remember seeing something saying that Lip is one of Sakurai's favorite characters so she has a small chance.

D

Deleted member

Anyways, here is my roster.
I would love this roster, except for one. single. character.

Why is Krystal playable and why does Star Fox get 4 characters, while Fire Emblem and Kirby only get 3?

Maybe I'm just heavily negatively biased against Star Fox (and Krystal in particular because she seems to exist only to exploit the lowest common denominator) because I've never played any of the games and I'm sick of seeing Fox win all the time, but I really don't think Star Fox should have more characters than Kirby or Fire Emblem.

Last edited by a moderator:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Maybe but then again the Fire Flower is an item too but Mario and Luigi don't seem to have a problem throwing fireballs. I just remember seeing something saying that Lip is one of Sakurai's favorite characters so she has a small chance.
The fire flower doesn't play anything like Mario/Luigi's fire ball though.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, it hurt my heart to add Miis because I don't want them to be playable but I can't deny that they have an extremely high chance of getting in. ROB on the other hand is a shoe-in. He's quite important to Nintendo's history and is not a clone character so I see no reason for him being cut.

So maybe if Lip is playable then her Stick attack wouldn't be anything like the item. The point is Mario and Luigi can only throw fireballs with the aid of the Fire Flower so technically it's weird as an item or Mario and Luigi throwing fireballs is weird without it.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I would love this roster, except for one. single. character.

Why is Krystal playable and why does Star Fox get 4 characters, while Fire Emblem and Kirby only get 3?

Maybe I'm just heavily negatively biased against Star Fox because I've never played any of the games and I'm sick of seeing Fox win all the time, but I really don't think Star Fox should have more characters than Kirby or Fire Emblem.
I'm a little more sick of Falco honestly, but yes I agree. And I even support Krystal.
Which is odd, because it doesn't even play like it does in the games. I don't think the Fire Flower ever worked like a flamethrower.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Honestly, it hurt my heart to add Miis because I don't want them to be playable but I can't deny that they have an extremely high chance of getting in.
Eh, I would disagree. In game evidence seems to point against their inclusion.

D

Deleted member

I'm a little more sick of Falco honestly, but yes I agree. And I even support Krystal.
Really, nothing grinds me gears more than people saying "Lucas is expendable, he's just a clone." Then defending Falco. I actually don't mind clone characters, but when you poop on a character for being a clone, then defend another despite that character having the SAME problem is just pure garbage.

I honestly don't care too much about who gets in anymore, I have Greninja, I'm okay. However, if there is one thing that will be able to sour the roster for me it'll be the inclusion of a new Star Fox character.

Morbi

Scavenger
Really, nothing grinds me gears more than people saying "Lucas is expendable, he's just a clone." Then defending Falco. I actually don't mind clone characters, but when you poop on a character for being a clone, then defend another despite that character having the SAME problem is just pure garbage.

I honestly don't care too much about who gets in anymore, I have Greninja, I'm okay. However, if there is one thing that will be able to sour the roster for me it'll be the inclusion of a new Star Fox character.
One is a Melee veteran and one is a Brawl veteran. That is the "real" issue at hand.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

I think Lucas isn't returning cause Mother only needs 1 rep as it's a small series that is finished, and Ness more deserving since he's been in every game.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think Lucas isn't returning cause Mother only needs 1 rep as it's a small series that is finished, and Ness more deserving since he's been in every game.
I would question why Lucas was added in Brawl to begin with if Mother only needs one representative.

D

Deleted member

Star Fox only needs 2 reps because it hasn't done anything noteworthy in a while and Wolf is more deserving because he is a more unique character than Falco is.

One is a Melee veteran and one is a Brawl veteran. That is the "real" issue at hand.
I won't deny that this is an issue though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think Ness would be enough to represent an obscure franchise like Mother. I am not a supporter of cuts, though. Just saying.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

Honestly, I think Lucas is more important in his series than Falco is to his. I'm not an expert on either, but that's what I personally see. I try to stay out of Star Fox debates because I have an extreme hatred towards Falco. So, I'll try and stay out of the upcoming argument :grin:
If Falco isn't changed, then I don't want him back. But I know he's popular in terms of Smash. Probably due to him always being top-tier.
:glare:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Star Fox only needs 2 reps because it hasn't done anything noteworthy in a while and Wolf is more deserving because he is a more unique character than Falco is.

I won't deny that this is an issue though.
I've always liked Falco more. He reminds me of me... if I were a bird man.

Morbi

Scavenger
I would question why Lucas was added in Brawl to begin with if Mother only needs one representative.
Here is your answer; if the franchise does nothing noteworthy for an arbitrary period of time, the characters in it (or the latest character, ironically) does not have merit anymore. I suppose merit has a statue of limitations.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would prefer Falco ONLY BECAUSE I don't want the competitive scene to be crushed by his omission and I'm not so keen on cutting two time vets.

Although I like playing as Wolf more.

And Mother doesn't really need two reps IMO.
Ness represents the kid protagonist with psychic powers that grows up throughout the story.
AKA every Mother protagonist.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I would prefer Falco ONLY BECAUSE I don't want the competitive scene to be crushed by his omission and I'm not so keen on cutting two time vets.

The competitive scene would not be crushed by his omission. It was not crushed when Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon went from Top to Bottom. It can survive without Falco's glorious D-air.

I think Ness would be enough to represent an obscure franchise like Mother. I am not a supporter of cuts, though. Just saying.
I agree with Sakurai, Ness and Lucas represent an obscure franchise like Mother perfectly fine.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Ness represents the kid protagonist with psychic powers that grows up throughout the story.
I'm pretty sure everyone that appeared in melee or 64 is safe.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman

I don't think the competitive scene minds Falco much, they will always gravitate towards high tier characters anyway

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
That said, if I had to cut a character, it would be Falco. Not only a find the Star Fox franchise terrible (maybe because I played Panzer Dragoon first, a far better on-rails shooter), but the last good (non remake) game was on the N64, ages ago. Fox and Wolf should be enough to represent the franchise. That is obviously not happening, though. Falco is most likely coming back.

Last edited:

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
That said, if I had to cut a character, it would be Falco. Not only a find the Star Fox franchise terrible (maybe because I played Panzer Dragoon first, a far better on-rails shooter), but the last good (non remake) game was on the N64, ages ago. Fox and Wolf should be enough to represent the franchise. That is obviously not happening, though. Falco is most likely coming back.
I would be fine with that, but I hope they put brawl falco's down B on Fox if that happens

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I don't think the competitive scene minds Falco much, they will always gravitate towards high tier characters anyway
No. I'd like to keep my Falco, thank you very much.

Competitive players have a normal gravitation towards spacies because of their gameplay. Fox in SSBN64 became Falco effectively and spacies ruled. Then, in Brawl, Falco still was pretty good and Fox was mid-tier. It's not just really the top tier characters but it's the playstyle as well which is what some competitive savvy players like about the Star Fox characters.

That, and in my opinion, they all just look so cool!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom