• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
For reference here is who we knew (aside from leaks) was in the game before Brawl came out:
:mario2::link2::kirby2::pikachu2::metaknight::pit::samus2::zerosuitsamus::wario::snake: :fox::zelda::bowser2::dk2::yoshi2::ike::pt::peach::diddy::popo::lucas:
:sonic::dedede::olimar::sheik:

The rest were revealed post-release:
:luigi2::falcon::ness2::marth::gw::ganondorf::falco::rob::lucario::wolf::toonlink::jigglypuff:

As for SSB4 we have:

:4mario::4bowser::4dk::4link::4samus::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4pit::4villager::4megaman::4wiifit::4olimar::4luigi::4peach::4tlink::4sonic::4marth::rosalina::4zelda::4dedede:
:4lucario::4littlemac::4diddy::4yoshi::4zss::4sheik::4charizard::4greninja::4myfriends: + whatever we get at E3

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I shouldn't be. o.O I can see his other posts just fine, just don't see that. Huh. >.>;

EDIT: Oh, wait, I'm stupid, it wasn't directed to me. :(

Here's the roster I envision, to clarify my thought process:

View attachment 15470

Green = Confirmed
Red = Unconfirmed Vet
Blue = Unconfirmed Newbie

(On second thought I could have swapped the positions of DK+Diddy with Yoshi+Wario and have it make a bit more sense. Hrm. V3, here I come!)
So do you think Chrom will be revealed during E3 and then after that just veterans?
I mean, you're entitled to your opinion, and I respect that, but I must say that I highly disagree.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
I shouldn't be. o.O I can see his other posts just fine, just don't see that. Huh. >.>;

View attachment 15470

Green = Confirmed
Red = Unconfirmed Vet

(On second thought I could have swapped the positions of DK+Diddy with Yoshi+Wario and have it make a bit more sense. Hrm. V3, here I come!)
Of all the possible newcomers you choose Chrom as the only newcomer addition?

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm gonna laugh when that's not the roster at all.
Imagine the horrible situation if it actually ends up being that. Hrr.

Chrom I can see happening though - I think of him as a shoo-in myself. But to be the only newcomer in addition to the ones we know? Nope.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I think they'd destroy hype if during E3 they only reveal one newcomer... especially it being Chrom.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 15470

Green = Confirmed
Red = Unconfirmed Vet

I'm not gonna lie. If that ended up being the final roster for Smash 4, then I would literally take the next plane to Japan and punch Sakurai in the face. YES I would be that upset!!!!

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Imagine the horrible situation if it actually ends up being that. Hrr.

But Chrom I can see happening - I see him as a shoo-in myself. But to be the only newcomer in addition to the ones we know? Nope.
Chrom will happen, I know that... but the only remaining newcomer? Now that is hilarious.

Morbi

Scavenger
Chrom will happen, I know that... but the only remaining newcomer? Now that is hilarious.
If Chrom is happening, would he not be the only remaining newcomer based on that logic? :awesome:

I'm not gonna lie. If that ended up being the final roster for Smash 4, then I would literally take the next plane to Japan and punch Sakurai in the face. YES I would be that upset!!!!
Good sir, I would pay for your plane ticket.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
I see Chrom because FE: Awakening is a pretty substantial juggernaut as far as the 3DS goes, and because FE's getting really big, it's got some growing to do. Not that I'm happy with it(I don't like Chrom or FE in general at ALL), but I think it's the most realistic outcome.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I see Chrom because FE: Awakening is a pretty substantial juggernaut as far as the 3DS goes, and because FE's getting really big, it's got some growing to do. Not that I'm happy with it(I don't like Chrom or FE in general at ALL), but I think it's the most realistic outcome.
Palutena, though.

I mean, seriously.

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
Since apparently the first thing Sakurai does when deciding the characters is figure out how nicely they fit on the character select screen, here is an example of a roster (a fairly optimistic one at that) where Mario and Zelda have 5 characters and Pokemon has 6.

It can work! See?!?

Last edited:

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why you would be so negative with your expectations with the next game rubber, Melee and smash64 were great games and being pessimist about the next game just because the last one wasn't as good is unjustified and very negative. And even so, the last game may not have been the greatest for its time, but they STILL had more in the roster and stage than the previous one. It's gonna be like that for smash 5 too. And the next one, And the one after that too until they run out of fresh characters to add to the game

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
I see it as cute teasing in the Ridley vein("Oh I bet you wanna see what this awesome boss looks like in HD, huh? Just you wait.. It'll be awesome!"), but I don't forsee Palutena as playable.

I don't see why you would be so negative with your expectations with the next game rubber, Melee and smash64 were great games and being pessimist about the next game just because the last one wasn't as good is unjustified and very negative. And even so, the last game may not have been the greatest for its time, but they STILL had more in the roster and stage than the previous one. It's gonna be like that for smash 5 too. And the next one, And the one after that too until they run out of fresh characters to add to the game
Eh? I liked Brawl. Aside from the tripping, I was pretty happy with a number of characters. I loved R.O.B., and Wolf just synergized well with me. I would love to see Krystal playable, but I'm not holding out hope for any of those three.

EDIT: Here's the overall rundown of why I believe in the characters I do(in Quote format so as not to overwhelm the thread!

I don't think we'll see many more characters in general. I think we've got one newcomer left to reveal(Chrom) and then that's that. Out of the veterans, here's who I think's slinking back in and why..

:falcon: Captain Falcon: Goroh's assist trophy lends a great amount of credence to his return. O12 status and sheer popularity aren't hurting him either. It's not a surefire shot, but it more likely than unlikely.

:ness2: Ness OR :lucas: Lucas: If the Mother series gets a rep(likely, given the Franklin Badge's presence), it will only be one or the other, not both. They've got too much overlap and not enough diversity, especially since most regard Lucas as Ness-Plus. Ness's edge comes from O12 status.

:gw: Mr. Game & Watch: The original WTF. He's stuck around longer than most, and it would seem unlikely that he'd leave now. If anything, it'll be him OR R.O.B. I strongly doubt both. That said, G&W has the edge in my opinion.

:ganondorf: Ganondorf: No real reason to cut him. He's the villain of one of Nintendo's most popular and oft-made series. Decloned and changed likely, but he's probably back.

:falco: Falco: The competitive scene would have a collective aneurysm should the blue bird not make it. Combined with SF's sun continuing to set, Falco will be the one to get in just due to popularity.

:popo: Ice Climbers: Rosalina's presence is both a plus AND a minus for these guys. Plus in that if the 3DS can handle her, it should be able to handle IC. Minus in that she treads on their territory a bit, though how much that matters remains to be seen.

:jigglypuff: Jigglypuff: Sorry Mewtwo fans. The puff has not just seniority, but favoritism as well given she's one of Japan's and Sakurai's most popular pokemon. O12 status and a straightforward and unique moveset and combat style just ice the cake to celebrate her return.

:wario: Wario: One of the most unique characters of a promising spin-off series that has arguably gotten more popular than his home series. Wario's quirks and charm make him impossible to overlook, and he's easily a unique addition with no need to be cut. Ashley as an AT with his symbol also doesn't hurt his chances in the slightest.

:metaknight: Meta Knight: Halberd is back, and it'd be very unusual for Meta Knight's ship to return to action without its captain at the helm. I'd say he's all but assured.

Comes up to about 40. 40? Wow, that's tiny. So who's gone then, and why?

:rob: R.O.B.: May a flight of angels sing thee to thy rest, o fallen icon. He may have saved gaming as we know it in the States, but WFT's presence as the 'peripheral mascot' this time around threatens his participation's chances greatly.

:squirtle::ivysaur::pt: Squirtle/Ivysaur/Pokemon Trainer: All in the same bag, as far as I'm concerned. With Charizard, arguably the most important and iconic of the trio going solo, Greninja taking a slot now and being a water starter himself, and PT's whole transformation mechanic having been universally scrapped, these three have been put out to pasture.

:snake: Snake: I don't see it. Kojima might be a bit of a jerk sometimes, but his statement was pretty direct. I very strongly doubt Kojima would have allowed Sakurai free reign to work with Snake in future titles, especially since Konami would probably have his head for it. Sheik's new Burst Grenade further proves worrying for his chances.

:mewtwopm: Mewtwo: His playable days are done. Everyone may think he's a shoe-in, but he holds a massive black spot on his resume as the only non-cloned character in the history of Smash Brothers to have been cut. This is more important than most are willing to admit, given that even Toon Link made it in over him. If he is in Smash 4, I think it will be as a boss character.

:drmario: Dr. Mario: There're holdouts for this guy? If anyone's really thinking he's coming back, they need to see a doctor themselves. Of the shrink kind.

:roypm: Roy: With Chrom's imminent arrival, I don't think FE has the muster for four reps. Three's already pushing it in my opinion, but then I'm not a fan of FE(or anime swordsmen) to begin with.

:younglinkmelee: Young Link: I'm not even dignifying this with an explanation beyond 'lol toon link get rekt scrubs'

:pichumelee: Pichu: See Young Link, but add 'who wants pichu?'.

:wolf: Wolf: It pains me to say it, but Wolf was one-and-done from the start. Identical FS, identical B-specials, there's nothing there to set him apart from the rest of the pack as far as getting the nod for playability. Falco's relying on the competitive scene to essentially push him through. Wolf has no such support, so I must sadly mark his personnel file as 'deceased'. Maybe he'll get in as a stage hazard on the Star Fox stage, but the roster's just not large enough to accommodate him as a playable character.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I see it as cute teasing in the Ridley vein("Oh I bet you wanna see what this awesome boss looks like in HD, huh? Just you wait.. It'll be awesome!"), but I don't forsee Palutena as playable.

Eh? I liked Brawl. Aside from the tripping, I was pretty happy with a number of characters. I loved R.O.B., and Wolf just synergized well with me. I would love to see Krystal playable, but I'm not holding out hope for any of those three.
You know, the Ridley teasing could actually be pointing towards a playable status. Same with Palutena.

I still see no reason why you think we'd get such a small roster, and only one more newcomer.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I just realized that both Mewtwo and Shulk are likely to be revealed, and are your two most wanted. :)

I agree with almost all of these, except for Mii. Sakurai needs more time to show off Mii's customizability, or else the reveal wouldn't even be worth it. I think that Mewtwo, Pac, and Shulk is a great line up for "newcomers" and that's pretty much what I'm expecting at the moment.
Am i the only one who thinks that Mewtwo won't be shown?, it will happen the same as it went with Wolf and Toon Link in Brawl, i mean... noone knew they were on Brawl until the game came out :drshrug:

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
Hope is what makes us happy before we get the chance to try the game. You could either live off of hope or you could live off of contempt. But I'll say one thing. When you hope and your character actually gets in the game the feeling is much greater. And if it doesn't get in the game it doesn't matter just shrug it off.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Am i the only one who thinks that Mewtwo won't be shown?, it will happen the same as it went with Wolf and Toon Link in Brawl, i mean... noone knew they were on Brawl until the game came out :drshrug:
The difference between them and Mewtwo is that Mewtwo is the single most requested character for Smash. His inclusion is essentially the ultimate hype builder.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

EDIT: Here's the overall rundown of why I believe in the characters I do(in Quote format so as not to overwhelm the thread!
Pretty sure Ridley'd just be shown outright as a boss if he were one.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Well, in five days, I suspect we'll all have answers to our questions. If Chrom isn't the sole newcomer, or if the 40-character limit is exceeded, then I guess I'll post my farewell(and mission statement) and accept my permaban.

Wagers like this are fun, though. Now I understand why folk toxx themselves. :D

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Well, in five days, I suspect we'll all have answers to our questions. If Chrom isn't the sole newcomer, or if the 40-character limit is exceeded, then I guess I'll post my farewell(and mission statement) and accept my permaban.

Wagers like this are fun, though. Now I understand why folk toxx themselves. :D
I highly doubt you'd get permabanned for being completely wrong about the roster. lol

Maxilian

Smash Ace
You know, the Ridley teasing could actually be pointing towards a playable status. Same with Palutena.

I still see no reason why you think we'd get such a small roster, and only one more newcomer.
I think he is trying to not get high hopes, why? cause when you don't expect much, is more likely that you will be pleased but when you expect way too much... well... expect to be dissapointed :dr-_-:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I think he is trying to not get high hopes, why? cause when you don't expect much, is more likely that you will be pleased but when you expect way too much... well... expect to be dissapointed :dr-_-:
What if that's all they want, and gets dissapointed that characters they don't want get in?

Maxilian

Smash Ace
What if that's all they want, and gets dissapointed that characters they don't want get in?
How can you be dissapointed that you got more that what you expected?! :drflip:

I understand the people that get mad that X character got in, but that's mostly cause for them that character took another character place (For example: If Tingle gets in, it will take Ghirahim's place :drsad:)

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
How can you be dissapointed that you got more that what you expected?! :drflip:

I understand the people that get mad that X character got in, but that's mostly cause for them that character took another character place (For example: If Tingle gets in, it will take Ghirahim's place :drsad:)
Well who knows really. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom