• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I actually talked with N3ON about it earlier, apparently the banning of gifts and images is there completely so it doesn't set off something like a chain reaction.

Not that I agree, but what's done is done.
Well we wouldn't have got the second off-topic image without the first, though it's not quite that simple.

In any case, I'll contact you privately @ AEMehr AEMehr to elaborate.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I actually talked with N3ON about it earlier, apparently the banning of gifts and images is there completely so it doesn't set off something like a chain reaction.

Not that I agree, but what's done is done.
I understand why this has been done in the first place, but it kind of ruins the enjoyable portion of the discussions we have. Especially since we talk about the same things the majority of the time.
Little Mac has a shot too, if its targeting us as its demographic.
Yes he does, but I think him being revealed or not primarily depends on what the new NextLevelGames game is.
---
Well we wouldn't have got the second off-topic image without the first, though it's not quite that simple.
I suppose that it is true.
In any case, I'll contact you privately @ AEMehr AEMehr to elaborate.
Great.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I'm pleasantly surprised that many others here aren't too fond of the idea of Diddy being changed to include Dixie.

I hope we can get a Dixie and Kiddy tag-team newcomer, but it seems like a pipe dream.

-----

D

Deleted member

I've said it before, I'll say it again; anyone who thinks Diddy/Dixie would function just like the Ice Climbers is a fool.

I don't really care for the idea myself (would rather Diddy remain solo), but for whatever deity's sake, people need to get it through their heads that they would have their own gimmick as what was planned.

Last edited by a moderator:

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
you guys should look on the bright side of having a Diddy Dixie duo if Sakurai is willing to make some major changes to Diddy maybe he will be willing to do the same with Ganondorf

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I've said it before, I'll say it again; anyone who thinks Diddy/Dixie would function just like the Ice Climbers is a fool.

I don't really care for the idea myself (would rather Diddy remain solo), but for whatever deity's sake, people need to get it through their heads that they would have their own gimmick as what was planned.
I'm not sure if there's any other characters that fit the criteria of that, but tomorrow will be judgement day I guess.

Who's actually excited for judgement day? I feel like this time a full roster reveal is coming sooner than we think.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
little Mac has a shot too, if its targeting us as its demographic.
Didn't realize this until someone mentioned it in the Punch Out thread, but this month is the 30th anniversary of the original arcade game, as well as Next Level Games (developers of PO Wii) having some sort of interest in the Direct.

If we're getting a newcomer I'm betting on Mac, if a veteran, than Diddy. At the very least though, something DK related has got to pop up within the next few updates.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Eh I'm pretty sure we have other team contender options, but that's not out of realm of possibility. Didn't they receive special treatment in Game & Wario?
I'm not too sure, but i'm pretty confident in them because of their prominance in Brawl. I'm not 100% on this, so bare with me, but here it is:

So I often look for clues that Sakurai throws into Smash to hint at new features in the next installment; this was done with Pit. Kat and Ana are the only WarioWare characters ( at least that i've seen, I could be wrong) to have their own trophy. This doesn't mean that they would be playable, but Sakurai made their trophy very descriptive, and I feel that they could function in a unique way. Just some random speculation I guess, but I use this idea of clues to support other characters; my biggest being Krystal. That, however, is another Topic.

D

Deleted member

They have their own trophy because they're Assists.

All the trophies were made with either pre-made models from other sources or using models made for Brawl itself. Since no other WarioWare character had an actual model to use, and since models were made for Kat & Ana for purpose of being Assists.....do the math.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
They have their own trophy because they're Assists.

All the trophies were made with either pre-made models from other sources or using models made for Brawl itself. Since no other WarioWare character had an actual model to use, and since models were made for Kat & Ana for purpose of being Assists.....do the math.
Makes sense, didn't think of it that way. Still though, I don't think they are out of the question.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So Sakurai tweeted about the Direct huh?

I mean, some Smash stuff being there was almost guaranteed, Nintendo needs to focus on their big hitters, but this bodes quite well for a newcomer... it's what he did with Rosalina.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

I think that gimmick would be a safer version of Ice climbers, aka the other kong can only be hit during certain moves where both kongs attack but not every attack causes both kongs to attack

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
So Sakurai tweeted about the Direct huh?

I mean, some Smash stuff being there was almost guaranteed, Nintendo needs to focus on their big hitters, but this bodes quite well for a newcomer... it's what he did with Rosalina.
Well, we haven't had a direct without Smash stuff, and as I've said before we've been getting closer and closer to release.

I honestly think there might just be some big character reveals at E3.

I think that gimmick would be a safer version of Ice climbers, aka the other kong can only be hit during certain moves where both kongs attack but not every attack causes both kongs to attack
An easier version to use of Ice Climber's does not sound like a bad thing.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Attention, beings of the flesh.

I've finalized my very own SSB4 Roster. Have a gander:

Comments, observations, and haikus are appreciated. But before you do so, I'd strongly suggest that you first visit my original post in the Roster Prediction Display Thread, where you can find my detailed, comprehensive thoughts and reasoning on all of my character selections.

In short, this is my ideal roster, but each of my picks were considered with much thought, based on what research I have done when it comes to current SSB4 roster candidates and argumentation.

Thank you for your time. You may now continue to hype and squee over tonight's Pic of the Day and/or tomorrow's Nintendo Direct and/or the fact that I've deigned to give you all my attention. :)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, we haven't had a direct without Smash stuff, and as I've said before we've been getting closer and closer to release.

I honestly think there might just be some big character reveals at E3.
The one in November didn't have any Smash stuff...

And iirc the only one Sakurai tweeted about previously was the Rosalina reveal (though I could be mistaken on that).

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
The one in November didn't have any Smash stuff...

And iirc the only one Sakurai tweeted about previously was the Rosalina reveal (though I could be mistaken on that).
One in November was a busy time in the year and, correct me if I'm wrong, we got two newcomers that month.

Also assuming it still releases this year, November didn't quite hit the mark yet anyways.

D

Deleted member

The international Nintendo Directs are every other month.

We didn't get Smash news for a Nintendo Direct in November because it was the off month between October (when we got Sonic), and December (when we got Rosalina).

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Not sure if anyone noticed but Lucario and the banner is gone.....

New character for today or tomorrow perhaps?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
This does not bode well for Diddy, not at all...

What are the odds that we'll just randomly get him in the direct without Dixie tacked on? Or just get someone else instead? It's really happening...

D

Deleted member

Saw it coming.

Time to pull up some popcorn and a lawnchair for tomorrow.

....or at least I would, IF I WASN'T GOING TO CLASS AROUND THE TIME OF THE DIRECT!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We're getting Diddy and Dixie tomorrow.

PREPARE YOURSELVES!

THERE WILL BE BUTHURT!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Or perhaps an unrelated newcomer, before an unprecedented Diddy reveal for the U.S. release of Tropical Freeze?

For the sake of Diddy and Dixie's characterization, we can only hope.

D

Deleted member

...Nah, I'd rather watch everyone that was so damned sure it wouldn't happen go crazy. :laugh:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Let it be known in advance that I never, ever said it wouldn't happen, I merely pointed out exactly why it's a stupid, character-decaying idea.

Golden, you said you were confident it wouldn't function like the Ice Climbers, and while I agree, I'm curious what you had in mind as far as ways a Diddy-Dixie duo could be differentiated from them...aside from the aesthetic change to Diddy's Side Special of Dixie throwing him, that is.

D

Deleted member

Let it be known in advance that I never, ever said it wouldn't happen, I merely pointed out exactly why it's a stupid, character-decaying idea.

Golden, you said you were confident it wouldn't function like the Ice Climbers, and while I agree, I'm curious what you had in mind as far as ways a Diddy-Dixie duo could be differentiated from them...aside from the aesthetic change to Diddy's Side Special of Dixie throwing him, that is.
It would be easier to quote an old post of mine:
I see Dixie/Kiddy (or even Diddy/Dixie) working more along the lines of a literal tag-team. You control one, the other follows. You attack with the lead, the following Kong tags in and attacks, and vice-versa. This is judging by what is translated about what Sakurai said in regards to his initial idea.
In this sense, unless you can manually switch the lead and control both Kongs, I see it as there's only one playable Kong. The other merely follows and attacks when tagged or when a combo ability is used (like in the case of Dixie/Kiddy, a move where she rolls on him like a Barrel).
Sort of like Sonic & Tails in Sonic 4 Episode 2.
It wouldn't be a transformation. After the teammate attacks, they tag the "main" Kong in regardless of whether or not the "main" Kong is going to follow up.
Essentially, it's like Rosalina and Luma, but they can't split nor can you really control the 2nd Kong.
If the "following" Kong is tagged in and is hit, they are temporarily stunned (I'm kind of basing this more for Kiddy, ironically, as I'm envisioning him throwing a tantrum like when he's hit in DKC3) and cannot be used for team attacks or be tagged in until they come to.
So to answer question 2, the second Kong can't be KO'd. And if the main Kong is KO'd...then the answer is simple. The follower goes POOF like Nana.
Of course, this is under the pretense that you can only control one of them. If you can actually switch between the two, there are some differences to the ideas I have.
But I am basing my belief on what Sakurai said about them (will update post when I get direct statement again).

EDIT: 実はディディーコングはディクシーコングとペアで出すつもりでした。タッチすることで2人を瞬時に入れ替え

"Swap between two people simply by touching them" is the rough translation of the last part. So it lead me to believe that it was meant that they would tag each other in and out for attacking.
But, looking at it again, it also gives off the notion of controlling the two with two separate styles depending on the lead Kong....

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This is getting intense. Final predictions? I can see it going a few ways.

1) We get Diddy in the Direct a la Sonic and Luigi.
2) We get a trailer for Diddy+Dixie
3) We get Little Mac, and Diddy for Tropical Freeze's US and international release.

I'm hoping for either one or three, personally.

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
3DS Roster.png
This is my Wish Roster II

I can see Sakurai announcing Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong at the Nintendo Direct but they will be their own separate character.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
So even the Pic of the Day mentions the Direct.
A reveal is guaranteed. Most likely Diddy.
I'm thinking actually more than one reveal. Diddy and Dixie (SEPERATE) would make sense.
On another note, he references Valentine's Day. Get ready for a weird POTD for Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom