• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There are better surprise characters to reveal than Chibi Robo, one that no one could predict because they sticked to damn popular candidates.
Chibi-Robo would definitely be a perfect surprise character. He's not exactly a popular candidate. You don't need to be completely random and nonsensical to be a surprise.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
Well Diddy wasn't shown im today's pic of the day so that means the Diddy and Dixie duo has a huge chance of happening now so I better take the time between now and the time the direct airs to warm up to the idea

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sakurai's comment points to some sort of relevance to Valentines Day if you ask me. Who would be perfect for a Valentines Day reveal? Diddy and Dixie.

Not that they have to be two halves of a whole character, but I'm almost positive they will be revealed tomorrow.

Which, while not the biggest thing, would bring our female newcomer count to three characters. Add Palutena in there...that's 4 females. Not saying that got you a leg up over others, but how many more females do we see him adding? He's not just going to add like 9 females and 2 males.

But anyway, I think (as much as I hate to say it) Diddy and Dixie paired up. I won't mind it as long as Diddy isn't ruined, and it is executed well.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't really care who or what happens as long as the choices aren't flat out stupid or as long as they work properly. Like if Diddy and Dixie are paired, and then they mess it up and make them OP, then I'll be pissed. Because, if that can't be made properly, then it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

I won't mind if it happened. I suppose I never did. But it needs to be done well for me to approve.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
And yet Sakurai will get the last laugh when tomorrow, there's no Dixie, or even Diddy.

Tomorrow......
it will be Cranky.
I'm legitimately worried about this.
If it happens I will not only lose some of my hype for this game (since K. Rool all the way), but much of my sanity as well.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think you guys should hurry to the Uniqueness Thread and predict Dixie Kong's (and maybe Cranky's :urg:) rating in case she is revealed today.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I'm legitimately worried about this.
If it happens I will not only lose some of my hype for this game (since K. Rool all the way), but much of my sanity as well.
I think your sanity is already lost if you're "legimately worried" about Cranky being playable.

It's not going to happen.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think your sanity is already lost if you're "legimately worried" about Cranky being playable.

It's not going to happen.
It's only because Nintendo is pushing Cranky is a similar way to Rosalina, but if not a little harder as of late.
I still think that K. Rool and Dixie has much better shots, but Cranky is holding in there somehow.

?????????????

Smash Master
I still doubt Diddy and Dixie will be a tag-team. Nothing has changed my stance on that.

If it actually does happen, it's not like I'll be disappointed or anything, I would just be surprised.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I still doubt Diddy and Dixie will be a tag-team. Nothing has changed my stance on that.

If it actually does happen, it's not like I'll be disappointed or anything, I would just be surprised.
I'd be disappointed. I'm not against the idea, but against Diddy Kong being paired up with someone.
Diddy is an extremely iconic and well known Nintendo character. Being paired up with Dixie would detract from that.
Dixie is also, albeit less than Diddy, so I can see her as a semi-clone to Diddy easily.
Still crossing my fingers for K. Rool today though.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I still believe you all are setting yourselves up for a psyche-out. Sakurai is one tricky fellow to pin down.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I'm very excited to see where this direct goes in regards to character reveal. I'm not against the idea of Dixie and Diddy as a duo, bit I feel like since the idea was scrapped in the first place, why fall back to an idea you threw away when the community is already fond of Diddy as a standalone character. We will see soon enough.

Also, does anyone think a release date could be given?

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
If Diddy and Dixie are a duo, then I hope Sakurai will make the a combination of Zelda/Sheik adn Ice Climbers somewhow.

Where down B switches the front character, so both Diddy and Dixie can have unique movesets and they can be a tag team.

And we can K Rool.

Last edited:

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think that it's possible that Nintendo could declare 2014 the year of Diddy since it's the 20th anniversary of his first appearance and reveal him as a playable character to kick it all off with just a theory i thought of

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Do you guys think that it's possible that Nintendo could declare 2014 the year of Diddy since it's the 20th anniversary of his first appearance and reveal him as a playable character to kick it all off with just a theory i thought of
Could happen I suppose. Yoshi is more likely I think, hes got 2 games coming out this year, assuming Yarn Yoshi is this year.

Sil

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1032-1490-1609
I don't see why everyone expects a Diddy and Dixie tag-team. There's no point. Diddy already has an established moveset, and Dixie can very well have one of her own. They can easily be separate characters.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I still believe you all are setting yourselves up for a psyche-out. Sakurai is one tricky fellow to pin down.
Oh, a psyche-out? Like what? The Ice Climbers? They are an ice-themed couple... Tropical Freeze has an ice theme...

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I don't see why everyone expects a Diddy and Dixie tag-team. There's no point. Diddy already has an established moveset, and Dixie can very well have one of her own. They can easily be separate characters.
Thats how it was intended in Brawl, which is why people are even considering the idea as likely.

Yes Dixie can be separate, but will she? Were probably going to find out today.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Actually, we won't find out anything today if the announcement has nothing to do with Dixie or Diddy.
Im quite alright with that. I like to be surprised.

Im saying if we see Diddy alone, why wasnt he just shown in the PoTD? Whats the point, unless there is something different about him, such as Dixie now attached?

Of course, all speculation. Its very possible that nothing is shown.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Im quite alright with that. I like to be surprised.

Im saying if we see Diddy alone, why wasnt he just shown in the PoTD? Whats the point, unless there is something different about him, such as Dixie now attached?

Of course, all speculation. Its very possible that nothing is shown.
Did you play the DKC games? Just curious before I further this. You'd know the tag swapping out mechanic then.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Did you play the DKC games? Just curious before I further this. You'd know the tag swapping out mechanic then.
Yes I have, which is why if Diddy is shown, we will know if there is a Dixie tag team as well (unless theres a part of the mechanic where one could can be dead and the other alive)

In DKC, when you have both characters, you control one and the other mimics you, faded out in the background. There could be tag Out mechanics, throw mechanics, etc. They were featured in DKC games. Diddys side b, for example, could have the characters switch if the attack is successful (latching on to opponent) and you could follow up with attacks from Dixie.

Im not saying this is a guarantee, or even likely, but possible. If Sakurai wanted to do it in Brawl, he may want to finish the job in this game.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Yes I have, which is why if Diddy is shown, we will know if there is a Dixie tag team as well (unless theres a part of the mechanic where one could can be dead and the other alive)

In DKC, when you have both characters, you control one and the other mimics you, faded out in the background. There could be tag Out mechanics, throw mechanics, etc. They were featured in DKC games. Diddys side b, for example, could have the characters switch if the attack is successful (latching on to opponent) and you could follow up with attacks from Dixie.

Im not saying this is a guarantee, or even likely, but possible. If Sakurai wanted to do it in Brawl, he may want to finish the job in this game.
That's a bit what I thought. Sakurai doesn't always "Finish the job" with his ideas though, so that may just mean Dixie gets a slot of her own.

?????????????

Smash Master
There's lots of possibilities for today. Diddy? Dixie? Both? Some people think Little Mac? What about Palutena? A surprise? Ice Climbers? King K. Rool? Nothing at all?

Today's gonna be fun.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
That's a bit what I thought. Sakurai doesn't always "Finish the job" with his ideas though, so that may just mean Dixie gets a slot of her own.
I actually don't want Dixie at all. King K Rool would literally sell this game for me. I find him more likely Anyways.

Yes, Sakurai doesnt always finish his ideas, but he also sometimes does. I guess we'll see in due time.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Best scenario is that we get a double reveal with Diddy and Dixie or another character entirely.

If Sakurai wasn't willing to completely declone Ganondorf from Captain Falcon for the sake of the people that like to use Falcondorf, I doubt he's going to force an immensely large change onto Diddy players with Dixie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom