• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I still believe you all are setting yourselves up for a psyche-out. Sakurai is one tricky fellow to pin down.
Congrats on modship star. was wondering when it was gonna happen.

Anyway I still expect King K rool. A 41min direct sounds good for a newcomer of some sort.

and if we get something else, that's fine. Just want this place to get hyped.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Yes I have, which is why if Diddy is shown, we will know if there is a Dixie tag team as well (unless theres a part of the mechanic where one could can be dead and the other alive)

In DKC, when you have both characters, you control one and the other mimics you, faded out in the background. There could be tag Out mechanics, throw mechanics, etc. They were featured in DKC games. Diddys side b, for example, could have the characters switch if the attack is successful (latching on to opponent) and you could follow up with attacks from Dixie.

Im not saying this is a guarantee, or even likely, but possible. If Sakurai wanted to do it in Brawl, he may want to finish the job in this game.
I like to think that Sakurai wouldn't want to "finish the job" if it means he'd be dramatically altering an existing character.
Going back on an idea that wasn't included in any way, shape or form is one thing, but completely changing something that already exists to fit a previous idea isn't the same. Especially to already existing fans of the original such as myself.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I still believe you all are setting yourselves up for a psyche-out. Sakurai is one tricky fellow to pin down.
After the Rosalina-trailer, I think I'm going to enjoy the next crazy "distractional reveal" we might be receiving today. Like what are we gonna be having this time in the table to lead us to the newcomer of the day? In anycase I bet it'll contain plenty of great animation and character interaction like before.

Played bit Donkey Kong Country 2 & 3 to get set. Or be surprised beyond belief.

4 hours soon now, waugh. I hope I'm in the right count.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I don't know how to expect to be reavealed. I mean people think that Diddy might get revealed like Luigi and Sonic. But opthers think that Diddy might be with Dixie and they will be introduced as a tag team. Other people think that Dixie, Cranky or K Rool will be revealed, The leak makes people think Palutena has a chance. Little Mac might get revealed since Next Level Games tweeted about it. Or we could get either Wonder Red or Bayonetta because Platinum Games also tweeted about it. Sakurai, being Sakurai might just throw a random reveal, like Ness, Captain Falcon or another newcomers.

We really should have a betting the next character to be revealed thread.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm getting a pretty good feeling about Little Mac.
Probably because I just played Punch Out a little while ago.

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I like to think that Sakurai wouldn't want to "finish the job" if it means he'd be dramatically altering an existing character.
Going back on an idea that wasn't included in any way, shape or form is one thing, but completely changing something that already exists to fit a previous idea isn't the same. Especially to already existing fans of the original such as myself.
The way i see it is if Dixie is a tag team, she could be added as a similar model to Diddy. basically, she would have the same normal attacks, but her specials could involve hair tethering, more horizontal recovery, etc. Pretty much, just adding to what Diddy already has, not completely revamping. The idea of a tag mechanic wouldnt completely change how he plays, rather add to what he has. Similar to how it works in DKC, they both run, jump, swing, etc. but there are certain things that make them unique, such as Diddy's speed or Dixies ability to hair glide.

And have a little faith in Sakurai. I didn't like the idea of Rosalina or WFT, my heart sank when I initially saw them. After seeing some gameplay, i instantly turned my opinion around and thought "that is not what i expected at all." It could happen with a Diddy/Dixie tag team as well.

Not to mention, in context of changing characters, have you ever heard of Luigification? Falco got some, Luigi got some, Ganondorf got some. Granted it wasn't a huge change, but a change nonetheless

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
There are plenty options to be revealed for Smash it could be the following characters or revamps:

+) Little Mac: "Leaky 3", Stage and the developers of the last game did tweet something about watching the new Nintendo Direct.
+) Bayonetta or Wonder Red: Platinum Games will have a little space for the next Nintendo Direct concerning Bayonetta 2, my belief is that Sakurai likes to troll us with the new comers showing them first doing their stuff or completely random until BAAM intro for Smash game like Villager and Rosalina trailers, so it looks it could go towards Bayonetta.
+) Diddy + Dixie, Dixie, King K. Rool or Cranky for the next Donkey Kong character tied up with DK: Tropical Freeze.
+) Shulk: X will receive something in this Direct, following the Tweet from someone behind Monolith Soft (His or Her name escapes me).
+) Yoshi + Baby Mario: It seem a leak says that Yoshi will be revamped and be show of in this Direct.
+) Palutena: The leak of the photos could mean that the character is almost finished and could be shown of in any instant (lets take it with a grain of salt if the leaked pics are true).
+) Mii: It has been speculated and form part of the "Leaky 3".
+) Pac-Man: see as above.
+) Snake: Probably it could receive the same treatment as Sonic, if he comes back.
+) Chrom, Roy or a new Fire Emblem Character tied up with the new game Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei.
+) Tingle, Impa or new Zelda character tied up with Hyrule Warriors.
+) Or completely random and out of the field like Ridley, Takamaru, Dillon, etc.

My prediction it could be a DK character, Palutena or Shulk.

Edited: Two more options.

.n_n.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The fakeout is that it's going to look like it's the new Zelda title, where you see Link set off.....
...just to meet Zelda on a date while Mario and Peach are shown to have had the same plan.

....then, we see another couple had the same idea. You might be thinking this is a reveal for the Diddy/Dixie tag-team, but HUH?!?

Admiral Pit: "Is it Pit with Palutena as his date?"
Shortie: "Is it Fox with Krystal as his date?"
Diddy Kong: "Is it Samus with Anthony Higgs as her date?"

Nope.

It's Toon Link with Tetra!

*Tetra Drops Anchor!*

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
The way i see it is if Dixie is a tag team, she could be added as a similar model to Diddy. basically, she would have the same normal attacks, but her specials could involve hair tethering, more horizontal recovery, etc. Pretty much, just adding to what Diddy already has, not completely revamping. The idea of a tag mechanic wouldnt completely change how he plays, rather add to what he has. Similar to how it works in DKC, they both run, jump, swing, etc. but there are certain things that make them unique, such as Diddy's speed or Dixies ability to hair glide.

And have a little faith in Sakurai. I didn't like the idea of Rosalina or WFT, my heart sank when I initially saw them. After seeing some gameplay, i instantly turned my opinion around and thought "that is not what i expected at all." It could happen with a Diddy/Dixie tag team as well.

Not to mention, in context of changing characters, have you ever heard of Luigification? Falco got some, Luigi got some, Ganondorf got some. Granted it wasn't a huge change, but a change nonetheless
Yes yes, I'm aware of the term "Luigification." I've been a member of this forum longer than you have, after all. :awesome:
Though, those moveset changes in those cases were more understandable as the idea was to differentiate them. And, even then, they weren't completely overhauled. It was just more-or-less some tweaks to some moves and physics. More-so in Ganondorf's case.

But, that I was really only half the reason I don't like the idea. I'm just too used to Diddy being his own character. I grew up with him as Diddy Kong and Diddy Kong alone. Heck, I knew who Diddy Kong was before I knew who Donkey Kong was, believe it or not, since Diddy Kong was the first video game character I knew altogether. And for at least half of my life I had no idea that Dixie Kong even existed.
The Diddy-Dixie idea could work amazingly, but, regardless, for me personally it would leave a bitter taste simply because it's Diddy and *insert character.* I feel that tagging another character along with him would diminish him as a character.
I do see your point though. Diddy doesn't necessarily have to completely changed to fit Dixie. Though I would still not absolutely love the idea because of the above bias.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The fakeout is that it's going to look like it's the new Zelda title, where you see Link set off.....
...just to meet Zelda on a date while Mario and Peach are shown to have had the same plan.

....then, we see another couple had the same idea. You might be thinking this is a reveal for the Diddy/Dixie tag-team, but HUH?!?

Admiral Pit: "Is it Pit with Palutena as his date?"
Shortie: "Is it Fox with Krystal as his date?"
Diddy Kong: "Is it Samus with Anthony Higgs as her date?"

Nope.

It's Toon Link with Tetra!

*Tetra Drops Anchor!*
But wait, there is another dinner-date at a nearby tabl
GoldenYuiitusin: "Is it Wii Fit Trainer with Wrestler as her date?"
Mega Bidoof: "Is it Wii Fit Trainer with Reggie as her date? Is Fawful, who is leaving Peach speechless (SuperStar Saga joke)?"

No, it's Mr. Game & Watch with Mrs. Game & Watch.

But most likely, Diddy & Dixie, maybe with K. Rool in the same trailer.
Or Palutena.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
I wouldn't think today's Smash trailer would have any sort of Valentine's theme to it. These trailers have probably been prepared awhile in advance, and the likelihood is the didn't know that they were going to show one of them on Valentine's Day so far in advance. Heck, a Diddy/Dixie duo Valentine's Trailer is especially doubtful because Tropical Freeze was originally a Holiday 2013 launch game, and Sakurai possibly intended to have their trailer premiere closer to then. The most I'd expect is some sort of mention by Iwata in the Direct itself, asking if we were enjoying the holiday before saying he had something special for the occasion.

I'm going to say we're safe and that we're getting a newcomer. At the very least, we're getting a cut or third-party character; I'd say Diddy is not enough to be the Smash focus of this Direct. The only way I could see him today is if he were either a minor part of a DK newcomer reveal (think Bowser in the original trailer) or teamed with Dixie.

I plan on making my prediction for today in around an hour or so. I'm in the middle of a deep think right now. ;)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I wouldn't think today's Smash trailer would have any sort of Valentine's theme to it. These trailers have probably been prepared awhile in advance, and the likelihood is the didn't know that they were going to show one of them on Valentine's Day so far in advance. Heck, a Diddy/Dixie duo Valentine's Trailer is especially doubtful because Tropical Freeze was originally a Holiday 2013 launch game, and Sakurai possibly intended to have their trailer premiere closer to then. The most I'd expect is some sort of mention by Iwata in the Direct itself, asking if we were enjoying the holiday before saying he had something special for the occasion.
When you say it like that, yeah, today's trailer was likely in the storyboarding period while Tropical Freeze was planned for December, things like that happen in well in advance. Not sure why that thought didn't pass my mind.

Groose

Smash Champion
@ Mega Bidoof Mega Bidoof
So, I've just taken a gander at your signature. Sandbag and Captain N under you predictions section? That's pretty cocky, if I may say so. Do you "expect" these characters, or do you just think they have a "solid chance?" Also, do you support all of the characters in your predictions list? If so, it's a pleasure to meet another Tingle supporter out there.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
To be honest, I don't think we'll be seeing any Donkey Kong character this week. Might just have a completely different character revealed altogether; and Diddy Kong will be revealed closer to the NA/EU launch of Donkey Kong Country (kind of like what happened with Luigi and Dream Team). I'm going to place my money on Palutena. And not because of that stupid "leak".

Man, I wish I didn't have class during the Direct.
Valentines Day.... Diddy Dixie Duo? Aren't they a couple?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
@ Mega Bidoof Mega Bidoof
So, I've just taken a gander at your signature. Sandbag and Captain N under you predictions section? That's pretty cocky, if I may say so. Do you "expect" these characters, or do you just think they have a "solid chance?" Also, do you support all of the characters in your predictions list? If so, it's a pleasure to meet another Tingle supporter out there.
Captain N is a placeholder of sorts for a Historical character, like G & W or ROB.
I would just prefer if Captain N were the one to get in in this spot.
As for Sandbag, I do think he will get in.
I think Smash deserves an original rep.

And yes, I support all of my predictions.
I think Tingle is the most logical Zelda newcomer.
He is both very unique, and is a important an pd recurring character in the series.
He could represent all those under loved shopkeeps through the Zelda series.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I'm going big and predicting Ridley or Palutena.

Particularly in the case of a metroid game reveal (since work on DK by Retro is over) or an acknowledgment of the leak.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm betting it's valentines day related in some, way. So either a duo, something cute or a girl? I don't think it will relate to DK either. Maybe Palutena?

Watch, it's Tharja and her reveal plays off the marriage system in FE

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I'm betting it's valentines day related in some, way. So either a duo, something cute or a girl? I don't think it will relate to DK either. Maybe Palutena?
Like people pointed out a couple posts earlier, the reveal trailers are most likely made quite some time before they're released. I doubt they knew for certain it would be on Valentine's day.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'm going big and predicting Ridley or Palutena.

Particularly in the case of a metroid game reveal (since work on DK by Retro is over) or an acknowledgment of the leak.
"Now, we've heard of this supposed 'leak' of Palutena, so we figured we'd adjust our Direct accordingly.

RIDLEY IS TIRED OF WAITING!"

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Groose's most likely Direct newcomers:

1) Dixie Kong (in a team or solo)
Reasoning: Tropical Freeze hype.

2) Palutena
Reasoning: Leaked, would cause some serious hype.

3) Shulk
Reasoning: Lots of people from Monolith tweeting, X-Footage possible.

4) King K. Rool
Reasoning: Tropical Freeze Hype.

5) Little Mac
Reasoning: Very likely character, Next Level tweet.

Yet, for all of that, I'm going to guess we'll see Chibi Robo today. Because... gut feeling.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Dunno if this has been covered over the past few pages, but this Direct is supposed to be the biggest non-E3 one we'll be getting. Like, 41 minutes long, or something. Considering what we got at E3, something makes me think it's possible we won't get a newcomer trailer, per se, moreso just a general 'Smash' trailer featuring gameplay from all the characters we've seen so far. Then, at the end, one of the simpler newcomers who can't sustain a two and a half minute trailer of their own (like Villager) will pop in and serve as the reveal. Thoughts?

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Dunno if this has been covered over the past few pages, but this Direct is supposed to be the biggest non-E3 one we'll be getting. Like, 41 minutes long, or something. Considering what we got at E3, something makes me think it's possible we won't get a newcomer trailer, per se, moreso just a general 'Smash' trailer featuring gameplay from all the characters we've seen so far. Then, at the end, one of the simpler newcomers who can't sustain a two and a half minute trailer of their own (like Villager) will pop in and serve as the reveal. Thoughts?
Sounds plausible.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I suppose. I do hope we get some gameplay-trailer goodness.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Also the direct stream is up for anyone who wants to have it up for when it starts. Anyways, expecting Diddy, hoping for K. Rool or a different Newcomer.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
I like that line of reasoning. I think it further supports my Chibi Robo prediction, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom