• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Girahim is not a random enemy they just made, he is supposed to be the negative master sword.
Unlike zant or majora, im sure we will see him again in some form.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Girahim is not a random enemy they just made, he is supposed to be the negative master sword.
Eh, the "negative Master Sword" dissolved after Demise's demise. Typically I wouldn't entirely equate "dissolve" with "disappear for good," but in this case I probably would in regards to Ghirahim.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Perhaps during Hyrule Warriors? Ghirahim was more prominent and pertinent to the plot than Zant or Majora really, I could see him coming back. But it isn't enough to say that he is expected to return as it isn't objective. Until he actually returns, we have nothing in that regard. However, if he is coming back in a future Zelda title, namely the ones that are going to be presented at e3, Sakurai will know and we go from there.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
A Link Between Worlds is easily the best Zelda since OoT. (Have not played Majora's Mask, but most every game after it)
Wrote about it a few months back if anyone cares. My GOTY last year.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
piece of advice - use imgur over photobucket. much cleaner/easier to use website
thats the response i was looking for

A Link Between Worlds is easily the best Zelda since OoT. (Have not played Majora's Mask, but most every game after it)
Majora's Mask

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
NO.

Do your research. It's a full, all new Zelda adventure.
Jerry Applesauce mentioned it. I'll have to buy. About doing research though... If we were to "do research" on everything we aren't full fledged certain on, no one would really stop researching. Maybe we should research more, but I find it okay to ask the smashboards community if I was correct as well.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I actually agree, I didn't even want to play the game as it was a "2D" Zelda. But I actually just bought it and gave it a chance, easily one of my favorites. It shattered my rose-tinted glasses, something I didn't expect.

However, with the positive, comes the negative... now I want Ravio for Smash.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ghirahim discussion! :D

This is how I rank the likelihood of Ghirahim appearing in these three games:

1. Hyrule Warriors (65%, if multiple playable characters are confirmed this goes up to 80%)
2. Smash Bros (45%, based on precedent and merits already discussed)
3. Zelda Wii U (20%, if the game is visually similar to or connected to Skyward Sword this goes up to 65%)

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I actually agree, I didn't even want to play the game as it was a "2D" Zelda. But I actually just bought it and gave it a chance, easily one of my favorites. It shattered my rose-tinted glasses, something I didn't expect.

It would certainly promote the newest Zelda game.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I'll tell you what I think of Zelda reps.

It's like my breakfast at Denny's. I want diversity on my platter, not too many links :yeahboi:

(I don't know why, but i've just been making puns all day.)

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Yeah but that was Yoshi's Island, plus Baby Mario didn't even fight him. Plus he's a Magikoopa, and several times Magikoopas that appear just like him apear prominently in other Mario games. Plus Zelda is a different franchise, plus I said "maybe it's important to remember" that. Note my use of the word "maybe." Excuse my sass.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

It's like my breakfast at Denny's. I want diversity on my platter, not too many links :yeahboi:

I honestly do not care which Zelda representative gets in, as long as one gets in. That being said, I wouldn't mind if they added Deku Link and Wolf Link to the roster. I care more about what they add to the roster than their name.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
You're going with the aesthetics here. Sure, they look like those moves, but I'm willing to bet they'll function differently.

It's kinda like saying Samus is like Link. B - Charged projectile. Side B - Quick projectile. Up B - Spinning recovery Dwon B - Bombs. Obviously it's not the case.
I agree 100% with what you're saying, because I actually care more about the hitboxes rather than aesthetics, but I used that example because most people here seem to view Wolf as a semi-clone (because of aesthetics), and they'll think Chrom is uninteresting because of his aesthetics. Thanks for pointing that out.
(By the way, they both have hookshot/grapplebeam. :awesome:)

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I honestly do not care which Zelda representative gets in, as long as one gets in. That being said, I wouldn't mind if they added Deku Link and Wolf Link to the roster. I care more about what they add to the roster than their name.
I want a MM rep, but that won't happen.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
That'd actually be really cool if he could use the various items in ALBW. Sand rod, hammer, tornado rod (easy up b), hookshot, etc.

But, ALBW spoilers
I'm sure we got enough Links already lol

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Replace Ghirahim with Vaati, replace Chrom with some other Fire Emblem character and add back Snake and you would have gotten a 10/10 from me.
No Chrom?!! Do you play fire emblem? You said "some other FE character", which is why I asked... Although he said it was a wish roster.

Morbi

Scavenger
Replace Ghirahim with Vaati, replace Chrom with some other Fire Emblem character and add back Snake and you would have gotten a 10/10 from me.
It is going to be a sad day when Vaati is deconfirmed, I will literally feel sorry for you. Expect a PM when that time comes, I will write you a heartfelt letter.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
It'd be cool to make this Smash special in adding newer, main characters even if they've only appeared in one game. But they have to be important/relevant. They already did that with Roy and Lucas and arguably Greninja (that's due to other factors I'm sure).

Bring on Shulk, bring on Ghirahim, bring on Anthony Higgs (HELLO), bring on Robin (screw Chrom)...bring 'em all, it'd be amazing.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
thats the response i was looking for
well I don't click photobucket links

if it had been imgur I woulda clicked it and looked at it and answered more appropriately

tryin' to help

also include ridley or something

Are you saying...noh....SANTA IS REAL! waaaaaah!!!!
santa is an infidel and I killed him

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I didn't know who Vaati was until I started a new playthrough of Minish Cap yesterday and remembered. "Oh this guy?"

I forgot the guy existed.

D

Deleted member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relevant

My initial post about Ghirahim was about his chances, which you attacked "it doesn't make sense". I defended with "It could make sense becasue he is relevant"
My comment about possibe apperance and fanbase relates to his chances and RELEVANCE.
Let's break down how the convo went down.

You: "It's either Ghirahim or Ganondorf, and judging on how things are going, Ganondorf might be the first re-occuring veteran to be cut. I don't know I don't think Ganondorf is this "obvious" choice like so many people are saying. I'd say it's about a 60%-40% with odds favoring Ganondorf."

Me: "....no.

It's either Ganondorf and Ghirahim or just Ganondorf.

Saying Ganondorf could be replaced by Ghirahim is like saying Fawful could replace Bowser."

You: "Not really...

The difference is that Fawful has no chance of making it... Not many people even know of him. Ghirahim, however, is taking in a big fanbase from the looks of it. His biggest set-back on his chances is the fact that the cap on representaion from a particular franchise is 5 (from what it looks like with Mario series). Using the logic about the 5 rep cap, Ghirahim has no room. If it were 6, Ghirahim would have a PRETTY likely shot at making it, where the next Mario repp would be Bowser Jr., or someone else who's not Fwaful.
But again, I'm only saying Ganondorf doesn't have a guarenteed place. It may be Very likly, but not guranteed."

Me: "It appears you don't quite get what the comparison is referring to.

You're saying that Ganondorf, a.k.a. Ganon, the most important villain in the entire scope of the Zelda franchise, is capable of being replaced by Ghirahim, a villain's lackey featured in one Zelda title to date (with said villain being essentially Ganon's origin).
That is quite comparable to saying Fawful, a villain's lackey featured in a Mario RPG (who, to his credit, is also the main villain in one of the sequels), is capable of replacing Bowser, the most important villain in the entire scope of the Mario franchise.

Do you not get how illogical that is?"

You: "Do you deny Ghirahim has a large fan base and following?"

Me: "That is irrelevant."

And I'll stop there, since what happened next was just you making a case about Ghirahim's chances and how it is relevant to the discussion, I point out how it's not what we were talking about, and now the post I'm quoting now.
Look at the very first post of our conversation. You weren't talking about Ghirahim's chances for Smash as a whole. You were talking about his chances directly compared to Ganondorf.
Which is what I responded to; you said it was "either Ghirahim or Ganondorf", I responded that it was false, and that it was either both or just Ganondorf while making a comparison that the idea of Ghirahim replacing Ganondorf is comparable to the concept of Fawful replacing Bowser.

Ghirahim's chances for Smash as a whole is irrelevant to the discussion, and you trying to force it into where it holds no meaning doesn't magically mean it is.
Like a smartass, you provide a link to Wikipedia about the word "relevant", yet I don't believe you bothered to actually read what it says.

Wikipedia said:
Relevant is something directly related, connected, or pertinent to a topic
The evaluation of Ghirahim's chances or his "RELEVANCE" as you put it (which is not what "relevance" is) is not something directly related, connected, or pertinent to the topic of the concept of Ganondorf being replaced by Ghirahim, the topic in which our conversation rests on. Thus it is irrelevant.
Instead, it's a Red Herring: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring
Wikipedia said:
The idiom "red herring" is used to refer to something that misleads or distracts from the relevant or important issue.[1] It may be either a logical fallacy or a literary device that leads readers or characters towards a false conclusion. A red herring might be intentionally used, such as in mystery fiction or as part of a rhetorical strategy (e.g. in politics), or it could be inadvertently used during argumentation as a result of poor logic.

If you seriously cannot grasp this by now after it's been thoroughly broken down, I question whether or not there is a disability at work here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I think the Mario & Luigi series is criminally underrepresented in the Smash series. Why not have a Fawful Assist Trophy, or maybe just a trophy of him, or the Shroobs, or the metal hammers? Like, Mario could use his hammer in the same way he uses his fist for his forward aerial.

Lol. Or they could have Mario & Luigi as a new character. They'd be drawn in a slightly different art style with slightly different bodily proportions and they would use hammers, items, and Bros. Attacks. Hahahahahaha.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I think the Mario & Luigi series is criminally underrepresented in the Smash series. Why not have a Fawful Assist Trophy, or maybe just a trophy of him, or the Shroobs, or the metal hammers? Like, Mario could use his hammer in the same way he uses his fist for his forward aerial.

Lol. Or they could have Mario & Luigi as a new character. They would use hammers, items, and Bros. Attacks. Hahahahahaha.
I feel as though a Fawful assist trophy would be fairly unique, more so than Chain-Chomps or Hammer Bros.

But the character idea would be far to redundant in my opinion. I couldn't see it working out.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Everyone forgot that the guy existed. That is the problem.
To be honest I completely forgot who K.Rool was until I started replaying DKC recently. Always associated the main villains to be the generic Kremlings instead. Needless to say I was surprised at the support.

But what do I know.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just saw this.

Might be a bad pun, but I fricking chuckled.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Yeah, it'd be sick to have a Fawful Assist Trophy, it'd definitely be unique. Especially now since Waluigi is apparently associated with the Wario franchise in this game, and the Hammer Bro hasn't been announced yet...I could see it. Maybe he'd provide some dialogue too not unlike Resetti.

And yeah, the Mario & Luigi character idea probably wouldn't work, but it'd be funny as heck if it actually existed.

Hmmmm let's talk about Ray MK III from Custom Robo. I think he should be promoted from Assist Trophy status to fighter status. He can fly and use weapons for projectile combat. Plus there are five entries in the Custom Robo series. It think he deserves to be playable. Yup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Hey everyone, I think this should be given a read:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/creating-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-3ds?page=2

It's slightly outdated yes, but there is 1 piece that should be highlighted in the second page:

" 'multiple character' combatants like the Ice Climbers were proving a technical challenge on the 3DS."

So to take a break from the whole Ghirahiem vs Ganon debate;
will the Ice Climbers indefinitely return?
Because the more I think about it I'm not sure if the 3DS could handle 8 characters all at once, 4 with a fairly sophisticated AI and all of them with their own Damage Percentage that must constantly be calculated. That's not including all the items, Assist Trophies, Pokemon and stage shenanigans that are going on at the same time.

Rosalina is a special case because the AI appears more primitive and Luma's don't have a damage percentage, just a set amount of punishment it can take before dying. Plus Lumas are smaller and don't have as many polygons to process like a full character does.

Also to reply to Jerry Applesauce, RAY MK III FOR SMASH!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Hey everyone, I think this should be given a read:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/creating-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-3ds?page=2

It's slightly outdated yes, but there is 1 piece that should be highlighted in the second page:

" 'multiple character' combatants like the Ice Climbers were proving a technical challenge on the 3DS."

So to take a break from the whole Ghirahiem vs Ganon debate;
will the Ice Climbers indefinitely return?
Because the more I think about it I'm not sure if the 3DS could handle 8 characters all at once, 4 with a fairly sophisticated AI and all of them with their own Damage Percentage that must constantly be calculated. That's not including all the items, Assist Trophies, Pokemon and stage shenanigans that are going on at the same time.

Rosalina is a special case because the AI appears more primitive and Luma's don't have a damage percentage, just a set amount of punishment it can take before dying. Plus Lumas are smaller and don't have as many polygons to process like a full character does.

Also to reply to Jerry Applesauce, RAY MK III FOR SMASH!!!!!!!!
No; the Ice Climbers will not indefinitely return. Anyone stating otherwise is delusional, this does not mean that they will not return. It means that they will not indefinitely return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom