• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I can assure you that a lot of people want Chrom, don't assume that Smashboards represents the world. For example, Greninja brought hype in Pokemon communities, more than it did here. On the other hand, Little Mac brought hype in the west but not much in Japan.
Part of the reason why Greninja brought hype was because of how unique he was; he plays like no other character. Same with Little Mac as he is the star of an important Nintendo series (a big reason why he was very highly requested in the West). If Chrom is going to end up bringing hype to this game, he is going to have to co-exist with Ike and have an unique and solid move set to work with this game. If the latter doesn't happen, then I see reactions being like "Oh he's in the game, just as we expected" or if Ike gets replaced, he'll end up being one of the most hated newcomers Smash has had.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
Chrom saving the franchise, I'm not sure about. But Awakening itself did. The developers said that Fire Emblem would not continue if Awakening did not sell over 250k copies.

(Sorry abit late to this topic)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's called sample bias

or something

maybe it was selection bias
It's kind of like accidental (?) convenience sampling, in a way. Just taking into account the opinions of those who are close and familiar, things like that.

Either way, taking into account more than just here definitely can lead to less disappointment in the final product, as well.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I bet we get Mewtwo, Pac-Man, Ridley if he's in, and maybe Palutena at E3.
Of course we also have the Direct to look forward to, where I expect to get tons of characters.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
If we are talking about E3, here are my predictions.
Pac-Man, Palutena, Mewtwo, King K. Rool and Shulk.
I don't think all of them will be confirmed though. Maybe 3 out of any of them.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
It's kind of like accidental (?) convenience sampling, in a way. Just taking into account the opinions of those who are close and familiar, things like that.

Either way, taking into account more than just here definitely can lead to less disappointment in the final product, as well.
I should know what it's called

my statistics final is tomorrow

I haven't really payed attention

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I think that E3 shall reveal more than one of the following:

Mewtwo, Ridley, K Rool, Palutena, Shulk, Pacman, Mii

I would put some veterans in, but none of these characters have any other veterans from their series.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Assuming they don't show off all veterans at E3, I'm gonna guess they will show (if they are in) Wario, Ice Climbers, Ike, Meta Knight, one of the Mother kids, and Ganondorf if he's being redone. The rest might stay hidden until release.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
IMO, Ridley, King K rool, Palutena has the most chance to get a reveal at E3 if one of them is there.

What I'm actually hoping that MAY happen is

Ridley,
King K rool,
Paper Mario (James Anderson leak so it can happen)

Though, the first 2 has good chance to be revealed so I think this E3 will be great for me if one of the first 2 is revealed but if the third is revealed, this automatically becomes my best E3 even if all the other newcomers doesn't appeal to me.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Part of the reason why Greninja brought hype was because of how unique he was; he plays like no other character.
Greninja's UpB is basically Pikachu's. His sideB is basically Meta Knight's dimensional cape. His counter is a counter. His B is a chargeable B with different hit boxes. His Fair is multiple kicks like Fox. His Dair sticks his feet downward like Falco, Luigi, CF, Charizard, and many others. He's still one of my favorite Newcomers, though.
He brought hype because he's a popular Pokemon. Little Mac represents a popular Nintendo series, like you mentioned, and Chrom represents FE:A, the recent and most popular FE game.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
My bets for the E3
-Ridley is finally shown, doesn't matter if he is a boss hazard or playable
-Pacman is revealed
-Mii is revealed
-Ganondorf is revealed alongside zelda u, ganondorf gets a new moveset
-Mewtwo strikes back
-If Snake is in then this the perfect time to announce it
-They finally tell us the true name
-Sakurai explains the connection between the wii u and 3ds versions
-More stages and boss hazards
-KKR is revealed in any role
-The wii u version unique modes
Palutena shouldn't be shown in the E3, she is basically confirmed at this point

情報漏洩者

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
hello i joined this forum to share these informations about super smash bros for wiiu and nintendo 3ds.
i'm japanese so don't care about possible grammar errors.
i work at nintendo and 2 my friends talked to me about a leak that made the director very furious.
i serched about that leak and i found this forum.
it seemed that you want to know about the characters so i wanted to make you happy.
i created this secret account to don't do the bad end of that person that has leaked those images, in fact he told everyone about that.
but i don't think it's enough so i put intentionaly 3 wrong informations to make this leak seeming a fake leak.

before starting i want to talk about 2 leaks:
the first one is that leak i talked about, the palutena leak.
it is true and as i said before the person that leaked it was fired because he told everyone about it.
the second one is the sal leak.
it is half right, in fact chrous men, chrom and shulk aren't playable.

now here there are the informations i have for you:

many stages hint to some playable characters;

balloon fight=balloon fighter
pyrosphere=ridley
arena ferox=my unit
jungle japes=king k rool
halbert=metaknight
tomodachi life/find mii=mii
palutena temple=palutena

before the direct gerudo valley=sheik and prism tower=greninja

ridley, my unit, king k rool and mii have alternate costumes

that's all i can say about characters

now i have to go but i have some informations about items and stages and smash run.
if i have time i will post them

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
They already have.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS.
That was kind of disappointing for me when I figured that out.

hello i joined this forum to share these informations about super smash bros for wiiu and nintendo 3ds.
i work at nintendo and 2 my friends talked to me about a leak that made the director very furious.
it seemed that you want to know about the characters so i wanted to make you happy.
i created this secret account to don't do the bad end of that person that has leaked those images, in fact he told everyone about that.
but i don't think it's enough so i put intentionaly 3 wrong informations to make this leak seeming a fake leak.
it is true and as i said before the person that leaked it was fired because he told everyone about it.
pyrosphere=ridley
arena ferox=my unit
jungle japes=king k rool
halbert=metaknight
palutena temple=palutena
now i have to go but i have some informations about items and stages and smash run.
....get my shotgun.
I'm about to bust some caps.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I am Japanese so you should believe me. :troll:

If you're really Japanese why did you refer to Chrom as Chrom and not Krom?

And I'm pretty sure Chrom and Shulk will be playable, I'm iffy about the Men.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

pyrosphere=ridley
arena ferox=my unit
jungle japes=king k rool
halbert=metaknight
palutena temple=palutena

Balloon Fighter? :glare:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
The fact that the leak there is probably fake saddens me. Ridley, K. Rool, AND Robin/Tactician/My Unit would be great.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
What possible move set could King K Rool have that separates him enough from other heavy characters? & what would Ridley have to distinguish himself from Charizard, another flying Dragon character? (I've never played the Donkey Kong Country games btw so forgive my ignorance about the King.)

Seems far more likely, as well as makes more sense to me to make them boss characters for the Donkey Kong stage and Pyrosphere. A lot of people keep saying that just because he wasn't fully revealed in the Direct he can still be a character, keep in mind how much Sakurai loves to play mind games with his fans. :awesome:

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What possible move set could King K Rool have that separates him enough from other heavy characters? & what would Ridley have to distinguish himself from Charizard, another flying Dragon character? (I've never played the Donkey Kong Country games btw so forgive my ignorance about the King.)
King K. Rool would be a heavyweight that relies heavily on projectiles, which is unlike any other heavyweight we've seen (as most are physical up-close attackers).
Ridley would be even more aerial based than Charizard, resulting in a character incredibly slow and awkward on the ground but speedy and nimble in the air. Basically swap Little Mac's pros and cons. Plus, Ridley can't engulf himself in fire or smash rocks with his head. :troll:

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337

pyrosphere=ridley
arena ferox=my unit
jungle japes=king k rool
halbert=metaknight
palutena temple=palutena

I'll take, "lives under a bridge," for $500 Alex.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
How I see it:

Shoe-ins: Chrom, Palutena, Mii

Liklies: Ridley, Pac-Man

Maybes: Shulk, Bandana Dee, Chorus Men

Everyone else is realy an "I don't care really" kind of deal.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

pyrosphere=ridley
arena ferox=my unit
jungle japes=king k rool
halbert=metaknight
palutena temple=palutena

Not even mentioning that you put Chrom instead of Krom (since you're Japanese), but a check on your IP says you're from Italy. Not Japan. Nice try, "Leaker."

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

Seems far more likely, as well as makes more sense to me to make them boss characters for the Donkey Kong stage and Pyrosphere. A lot of people keep saying that just because he wasn't fully revealed in the Direct he can still be a character, keep in mind how much Sakurai loves to play mind games with his fans. :awesome:
Yeah!
:fox::falco::wolf:
Your right!
:marth::ike:
What could King K. Rool and Ridley do!
:link2::toonlink:
That would distinguish them!
:mario2::luigi2:
From!
:falcon::ganondorf:
Being to simular to other characters?!
:ness2::lucas:

:troll: I'm just messing with ya.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So yeah, no one address the phony leak up above. It's phony. It was an alternate account of someone else on the Boards.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So yeah, no one address the phony leak up above. It's phony. It was an alternate account of someone else on the Boards.
But the person did try,even the japanese characters translate to "Leaker."

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm disappointed that a lot of supporters for Dixie Kong after Tropical Freeze's announcement was the result of a bandwagon. Dixie Kong really is a strong character choice that already had plenty of good reasons to add her and it is great to see her return in Tropical Freeze; but a large portion of her support due to the announcement reeks of the "recency" logic. People really should not have expected Dixie's confirmation before Diddy Kong was confirmed.Only Ridley and Palutena could even qualify as hypetrains characters (although I can understand Shulk). Shadow is a horrible choice for a third-party (because Sonic does not deserve a second rep and even if we do get one, it should be Tails or Dr. Eggman) and Krystal is a divisive character.
Dixie Kong hadn't had a legitmate game with a legitimate role since '96. A lot of posters on here were just being born or learning to walk at that point. She was a dead character for quite some time, so it makes sense that TF pushed up her popularity.

She's always been a decent choice, with decent popularity. It's only recently that she's become one of the MOST popular.

If Chrom is going to end up bringing hype to this game, he is going to have to co-exist with Ike and have an unique and solid move set to work with this game. If the latter doesn't happen, then I see reactions being like "Oh he's in the game, just as we expected" or if Ike gets replaced, he'll end up being one of the most hated newcomers Smash has had.
And no one will really care because being a baby ***** about newcomer choices only lasts a few minutes. Don't let John fool you into believing "FAN OUTRAGE!" is that big of a deal for both the fans or Nintendo. Besides, like it or not here's Chrom compared to eveyone else:

Mewtwo > Ridley > King K Rool > Palutena > Chrom >

If little Mac wasn't confirmed he would be nested between K Rool and Palutena. If Megaman wasn't confirmed he would be behind Mewtwo. Chrom would still be 7th most wanted.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Just out of curiosity, what's everyones Thoughts on Bandana Dee? Love him or hate him?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Just out of curiosity, what's everyones Thoughts on Bandana Dee? Love him or hate him?
I like Bandana Dee, but as we draw closer and closer to release there's less room for characters.
Unfortunately I don't think Bandana Dee is important enough to make the cut.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
....no.

It's either Ganondorf and Ghirahim or just Ganondorf.

Saying Ganondorf could be replaced by Ghirahim is like saying Fawful could replace Bowser.
Not really...

The difference is that Fawful has no chance of making it... Not many people even know of him. Ghirahim, however, is taking in a big fanbase from the looks of it. His biggest set-back on his chances is the fact that the cap on representaion from a particular franchise is 5 (from what it looks like with Mario series). Using the logic about the 5 rep cap, Ghirahim has no room. If it were 6, Ghirahim would have a PRETTY likely shot at making it, where the next Mario repp would be Bowser Jr., or someone else who's not Fwaful.

But again, I'm only saying Ganondorf doesn't have a guarenteed place. It may be Very likly, but not guranteed.

@JamesDNaux
Where has this mindset of "they haven't revealed all the characters yet and the game is almost out, they're all going to get cut!" come from? Do you seriously expect them to announce every character in the game? You know secret characters exist, right? And that most of these characters are traditionally secret as well, right?
I don't think ANYONE has that mind set. Yes, everyone knows about secret characters.

@Louie G
Whoosh.

New topic: veteran changes. What are the most necessary?

I'll be the first to say that Meta Knight must be nerfed.
M. Knight was good, but I don't think he was overpowered. I don't understand why everyone thinks he was, but it is pretty much an accepted fact. They say it's because he was "spammy". Maybe make his moves has a longer cooldown.

The most necessary changes would probably be movesets. Maybe they can show off cooler moves, adding more "cool points" to everything. Even if it doesn't affect gameplay, it'll deffinatly draw attention.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Greninja's UpB is basically Pikachu's. His sideB is basically Meta Knight's dimensional cape. His counter is a counter. His B is a chargeable B with different hit boxes. His Fair is multiple kicks like Fox. His Dair sticks his feet downward like Falco, Luigi, CF, Charizard, and many others. He's still one of my favorite Newcomers, though.
He brought hype because he's a popular Pokemon. Little Mac represents a popular Nintendo series, like you mentioned, and Chrom represents FE:A, the recent and most popular FE game.
You're going with the aesthetics here. Sure, they look like those moves, but I'm willing to bet they'll function differently.

It's kinda like saying Samus is like Link. B - Charged projectile. Side B - Quick projectile. Up B - Spinning recovery Dwon B - Bombs. Obviously it's not the case.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Sobreviviente Sobreviviente
I don't think Tetra will make it, but Young Link's chances are absolutely 100% dead.
For the same reason: over-saturation of a specific character. Tetra makes three Zeldas, YL makes three Links.

D

Deleted member

Not really...

The difference is that Fawful has no chance of making it... Not many people even know of him. Ghirahim, however, is taking in a big fanbase from the looks of it. His biggest set-back on his chances is the fact that the cap on representaion from a particular franchise is 5 (from what it looks like with Mario series). Using the logic about the 5 rep cap, Ghirahim has no room. If it were 6, Ghirahim would have a PRETTY likely shot at making it, where the next Mario repp would be Bowser Jr., or someone else who's not Fwaful.

But again, I'm only saying Ganondorf doesn't have a guarenteed place. It may be Very likly, but not guranteed.
It appears you don't quite get what the comparison is referring to.

You're saying that Ganondorf, a.k.a. Ganon, the most important villain in the entire scope of the Zelda franchise, is capable of being replaced by Ghirahim, a villain's lackey featured in one Zelda title to date (with said villain being essentially Ganon's origin).
That is quite comparable to saying Fawful, a villain's lackey featured in a Mario RPG (who, to his credit, is also the main villain in one of the sequels), is capable of replacing Bowser, the most important villain in the entire scope of the Mario franchise.

Do you not get how illogical that is?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I would love for King K. Rool having a down B that switches his costume (King, Pirate, Baron) which only changes his other three specials. But barring that, I can see King K. Rool being a momentum character. Different attacks can move him in a certain direction. Maybe back air could have his swing his tail which propels him forward. His crouch could have him playing dead, and pressing A will have him slide forward and snap his jaws. Neutral air could have him doing a cannonball, tucking his knees against his stomach, and bouncing.

Ridley could be the antithesis of Little Mac. Poor on the ground with many of his attributes taking advantage of being in the air. Maybe he only has one jump. But Up B shoots him vertically into the sky and gives him three short jumps with his wings opened. He could have an air to ground projectile furthering cementing his expertise above the ground.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think Young Link has really much of a chance of returning at this point imo, I think his best chance is probably appearing as a trophy for the 3DS version.

Eh at this point, the only Zelda character I'm very interested in seeing is Ganon. Tetra would be pretty neat too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sceptile-like logic ahoy:

We have two Links, two Zeldas, and we're waiting on Ganondorf.

Link, Zelda, and (presumably) Ganondorf all reflect the same game; Twilight Princess.

Toon Link is from Wind Waker, and he reflects Wind Waker HD, a recent release.
Sheik is from Ocarina of Time (though is styled like TP because of Brawl), and she reflects Ocarina of Time 3D, another recent release.

This means we need another Ganon/Ganondorf. One that reflects yet another recent release.

(Note: I don't actually beleive in this logic; I just think it's hilarious that similar stretches of logic like used for Sceptile can be used for Ganon. :troll:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom