• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Marth has a very good chance of being a starter if we get a Fire Emblem newcomer. Although, it could just be Ike again, tradition.
I think Chrom would be the starter, alongside or without Ike, and Tactician could be one or the other. Anyone else, IMO, would most likely be unlockable.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
No reason to hide the hype-generating newcomer, either.
That brings up a really interesting point. Does a newcomer generate that much more hype as a starter?
I remember when I was a kid, I always thought the secret stuff was the most exciting. I'll still probably leave the internet for a few weeks after the game launches, to avoid having every single secret spoiled for me.

Nowadays I feel like most gamers want to know all of the playables before the game launches.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
That brings up a really interesting point. Does a newcomer generate that much more hype as a starter?
I remember when I was a kid, I always thought the secret stuff was the most exciting. I'll still probably leave the internet for a few weeks after the game launches, to avoid having every single secret spoiled for me.
I wish I could have the determination to leave until the game launches, but I am not powerful enough. But I agree, my most fond memories of Smash Brothers have to do with unlocking things that I didn't expect in the game. Such as Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, or Wolf respectively.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
I wish I could have the determination to leave until the game launches, but I am not powerful enough. But I agree, my most fond memories of Smash Brothers have to do with unlocking things that I didn't expect in the game. Such as Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, or Wolf respectively.
Yeah, I had every hidden fighter spoiled for me in Melee, thanks to my overeager curiosity which compelled me to start flipping through the official player's guide in a store. All except for Roy, who I didn't expect because I had never heard of him and therefore didn't care (which is probably why I didn't even notice his name in the book). But my fondest memories of that game had mainly to do with discovering all the fun little secrets, encountering characters from games I had never played, and obsessively reading all the trophy descriptions to learn whatever I could about them. When I was a kid, discovering those things in Melee, and to a lesser degree, in SSB64, was like exploring a world.
I think I had every character accidentally spoiled for me in Brawl, thanks to the internet and sites like IGN posting every leaked secret in their headlines, except maybe Toon Link (I think? I don't quite remember.), and ROB, who I had really wanted but didn't expect thanks to the SSE enemy ROBs. It wasn't quite the same as Melee since I was older, and somehow the trophies didn't seem as interesting, but it was still fun.
I wish I could recapture that feeling.

Even so, that sense of discovery one of my favorite things about Smash Bros. And, I think seeing the big reveals on the website and in the trailers has been exciting in its own way. Still, I am hoping there are a few fun surprises left to discover by actually playing the game.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yeah, I had every hidden fighter spoiled for me in Melee, thanks to my overeager curiosity and flipping through the official player's guide in a store. All except for Roy, who I didn't expect because I had never heard of him and therefore didn't care. But my fondest memories of that game had mainly to do with discovering all the fun little secrets, encountering characters from games I had never played, and obsessively reading all the trophy descriptions to learn whatever I could about them. When I was a kid, discovering those things in Melee, and to a lesser degree, in SSB64, was like exploring a world.
I think I had every character accidentally spoiled for me in Brawl, thanks to the internet and sites like IGN posting every leaked secret in their headlines, except maybe Toon Link (I think? I don't quite remember.), and ROB, who I had really wanted but didn't expect thanks to the SSE enemy ROBs. It wasn't quite the same as Melee since I was older, and somehow the trophies didn't seem as interesting, but it was still fun.

I wish I could recapture that feeling.
I managed to unlock all the characters without looking up a strategy guide except for Game & Watch. When I read up his name on GameFaqs, I expected a Professor Layton-esque character, someone with a fob watch and fought with sabres.

Confusion and hilarity ensued.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
I managed to unlock all the characters without looking up a strategy guide except for Game & Watch. When I read up his name on GameFaqs, I expected a Professor Layton-esque character, someone with a fob watch and fought with sabres.

Haha, I had a somewhat similar experience, with Ness. Back during the N64 era, I wasn't on the internet much, or maybe there just wasn't much of an internet, so when I looked up how to unlock Ness, all the info I got on him was in text format (in Nintendo Power, or something similar). Reading about a psychic warrior who fought aliens in a game called EarthBound, or actually, it may have literally just been the name Ness, from the SNES game EarthBound, brought to my twelve-year-old mind images of some powerful hulking creature, like something you'd see in a SNES fighting game or RPG. Boy was I surprised when I unlocked the fire shooting kid with the purple shorts and the bizarre accent.

Actually, Marth took me by surprise as well, since I knew nothing about Fire Emblem, as did Mr. Game & Watch, because I had no idea what he looked like. The 2D thing was a mind-blowing surprise. The retro appeal of the character made me an instant fan. I'm a sucker for retro characters, with that forgotten-classic sort of story.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Smash memories hour?

I had heard of all eight starters in Smash 64, but never really played their games besides Mario, Yoshi, DK, Link, Pikachu, and Kirby. I actually had no idea who Ness or Captain Falcon were at the time, which is why I started maining them. I never thought much of Jigglypuff, she was just kind of there.

My memory of Melee is pretty foggy to be honest, I don't recall how I reacted when I unlocked everyone. I do know that I was confused as all hell as to who Marth and Roy were, I was probably one of the only people that knew Mr. Game & Watch though, that was pure excitement unlocking him.
I do still remember seeing Ridley in the intro and being pissed when he wasn't actually in the game.
I was likely one of the few that was indifferent towards Mewtwo, I actually do remember that I unlocked him when I accidentally forgot my GameCube on one night. The rest of the characters were great, but no one really excited me besides G&W. I was initially excited by Ganondorf, but that only led to disappointment...

Brawl was when things got amazing, Meta Knight and Dedede, Diddy Kong, Pokemon Trainer (RIP), I was even excited for R.O.B. Yeah.
I initially didn't know about Olimar, but I ended up growing to love his playstyle and the only Pikmin I've played so far is the third one. I had known of Snake, but had never played MGS, similar to Olimar I ended up loving the playstyle and the character, now he's a big part of Brawl for me. Out of all the additions, there were no disappointments like the Melee clones, disregarding the fact that Ganondorf was still a clone... Though there were characters that I was confused about, though they weren't unlockables, Ike and Lucas. Oh, plus we got Sonic the damn Hedgehog.

SSB4 is feeling like Melee for me so far, some characters are "Oh, that's cool." and some are Pichu and Dr. Mario level of "Why are you doing this, Sakurai?"
I still hope to get a big Brawl styled blowout for E3 though, I was so excited by most of the Brawl newcomers. Come on King K. Rool, we need you back.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

This is exactly what happened to me. When I thought Mr. Game & Watch, I thought something akin to Mr. peanut.

And I think I had decided Mewtwo was the best Pokemon the day I unlocked him.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Brawl has my favorite roster in terms of actual characters. If certain characters had more original movesets, I would have liked it even better.
It only lost one character from Melee whom I cared about, and gained several of my most wanted newcomers. Namely Charizard and ROB.

If Smash 4 regained Mewtwo, kept and improved the original newcomers from Brawl and further decloned the others, it would be my favorite roster period. I actually really like the idea of every newcomer so far, though Little Mac was the most hype inciting for me.
If only I could have my few remaining most wanted, I might actually weep sweet tears of joy. Everything else would be icing.

Edit:
I am honestly satisfied so far though. Im trying to just be content so that I can only be pleasantly surprised by further inclusions, not punched-in-the-gut disappointed with exclusions as I have with past games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So it was just another case of a character fad coming and going.

Though I could make arguments that Dixie can do more then simply cater to the dunces.
I'm disappointed that a lot of supporters for Dixie Kong after Tropical Freeze's announcement was the result of a bandwagon. Dixie Kong really is a strong character choice that already had plenty of good reasons to add her and it is great to see her return in Tropical Freeze; but a large portion of her support due to the announcement reeks of the "recency" logic. People really should not have expected Dixie's confirmation before Diddy Kong was confirmed.
Ridley, Chrom, Shulk, Shadow, Krystal, and Palutena in my opinion
Only Ridley and Palutena could even qualify as hypetrains characters (although I can understand Shulk). Shadow is a horrible choice for a third-party (because Sonic does not deserve a second rep and even if we do get one, it should be Tails or Dr. Eggman) and Krystal is a divisive character.

Chrom is the epitome of the bandwagon character; while there is a minority that do actually like him (such as Opossum), such cannot be said for most people. I guarantee that most people support Chrom because of sales, recency, the false assumption that Chrom saved Fire Emblem (Chrom didn't, it was the game itself, which is not the same thing), being the latest lord, making a "proper" (aka terrible and heavily unnecessary) replacement for a perfectly well-made character, oh and buttocks on mouse pads. Chrom was one of the most expected characters to show up since he was shown and may end up being the worst addition to this game. Unless Sakurai has someone seriously special to show off for Chrom (which may or may not happen), he's not going to generate hype for this game.

Astro Boy is totally a hypetrain character, though. Getting a new anime would totally make the hype for the next Smash go through the roof when he's included.

TheSkuxxedOne

Smash Cadet
Meta Knight has got to be back, but they should change his moveset so that it leans more toward his boss appearances in the Kirby Games and have his wings be more of a prominent force in his moves, rather than just for flying.
I made a video about it too, for anyone that's interested...

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Chrom is the epitome of the bandwagon character; while there is a minority that do actually like him (such as Opossum), such cannot be said for most people.
I can assure you that a lot of people want Chrom, don't assume that Smashboards represents the world. For example, Greninja brought hype in Pokemon communities, more than it did here. On the other hand, Little Mac brought hype in the west but not much in Japan.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
Chrom is the epitome of the bandwagon character; while there is a minority that do actually like him (such as Opossum), such cannot be said for most people. I guarantee that most people support Chrom because of sales, recency, the false assumption that Chrom saved Fire Emblem (Chrom didn't, it was the game itself, which is not the same thing), being the latest lord, making a "proper" (aka terrible and heavily unnecessary) replacement for a perfectly well-made character, oh and buttocks on mouse pads. Chrom was one of the most expected characters to show up since he was shown and may end up being the worst addition to this game. Unless Sakurai has someone seriously special to show off for Chrom (which may or may not happen), he's not going to generate hype for this game.
Especially the YouTube community.
I can't tell you how many times I've seen Chrom in a Top 10 list because of the 'he saved Fire Emblem' bull.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
The only characters I ever had to unlock using the interwebs were Wolf and Toon Link.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Which characters are hypetrains?
World-wide? Mewtwo, K. Rool, Mewtwo, Palutena, Mewtwo, Mewtwo and Mewtwo. Also, don't forget Mewtwo.

But seriously, out of the un-revealed characters, Mewtwo is the biggest hype generator amongst casuals and hardcore Smash and Pokemon fans world-wide, beyond the level of anything and his reveal alone at E3 is more than sufficient to hype people. Regardless, I expect a curveball character to be shown at E3 along with Mewtwo and Pac-Man (due to his status as a third-party character).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I wasn't even aware "Chrom saved the Fire Emblem franchise" was a thing.
That's silly.

How does that even work? In the game itself, the player's Avatar does all the real work. In terms of advertising, I imagine that the mysterious "Marth" character generated more interest in the game itself (as Marth is the most popular and well-known character in the series and "Marth" clearly was hiding something").

Why do people try so hard to justify their characters? Can't they just say they want something and be done with it?

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I wasn't even aware "Chrom saved the Fire Emblem franchise" was a thing.
That's silly.

How does that even work? In the game itself, the player's Avatar does all the real work. In terms of advertising, I imagine that the mysterious "Marth" character generated more interest in the game itself (as Marth is the most popular and well-known character in the series and "Marth" clearly was hiding something").

Why do people try so hard to justify their characters? Can't they just say they want something and be done with it?
They want the character to be more likely so they make up ****. It's how Smashboards works. :awesome:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Meta Knight has got to be back, but they should change his moveset so that it leans more toward his boss appearances in the Kirby Games and have his wings be more of a prominent force in his moves, rather than just for flying.
I made a video about it too, for anyone that's interested...

"I think they should increase his wingspan-"

Wouldn't that make him vulnerable,or is the wing unable to be hit or something? It doesn't really sound right when I see it. However,the other ideas are clever.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
The Ridley Thread is going to catch up and overtake this one soon it seems

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Speaking of hype characters, I made a point about Mewtwo in his thread

The thing about Mewtwo is that there is no newcomers that has the potential to match the level of hype he would bring both among the mainstream audience and the hardcore fanbase due to his sheer iconicness and worldwide popularity. Combined with the fact that he is the character that is currently in the spotlight due to being the "hot" Pokemon and he has nothing going against him.

Overall, I think E3 is where he'll be revealed, mostly because he's simply too hype-worthy on a level beyond every newcomer character possible, including Mega Man, to simply be passed up for a reveal for any good reason. The idea of leaving him out in general is not really something I can see Sakurai doing this time around, so I won't debate about the likelyhood of Mewtwo getting left out from Smash 4. He is not just the A-game to bring to E3, but also one that is sufficient alone for an E3 reveal to hype and draw many, many people around the world to buying Smash 4, something that would be very valuable considering the state of the Wii-U. Heck, with Mewtwo more than sufficiently being able to hype up people, no newcomer would be needed to be shown there and thus can be in as unlockable characters not announced pre-reveal. (given the lack of newcomer unlockable characters in Brawl, this makes sense). Though I still expect Pac-Man to be shown at E3 just because he's a third-party character.
Do you agree or disagree with me?

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I dunno, he was in Smash before. I'm sure most would be glad he's back rather than be completely hyped he's in a Smash game.

Mega Man was (is) in decline, was never in a Smash game and seemingly didn't have the chance to be in and is a third party, so his inclusion was pretty hype since he was really unexpected. Though he really isn't mainstream.

EDIT: Reading that again you're really overestimating Mewtwo's appeal...

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
How come?

That said, he's no Sonic. Then again, can anyone claim to be on the level of Sonic in terms of newcomer/returning veteran hype?
Take this quote

He is not just the A-game to bring to E3, but also one that is sufficient alone for an E3 reveal to hype and draw many, many people around the world to buying Smash 4, something that would be very valuable considering the state of the Wii-U. Heck, with Mewtwo more than sufficiently being able to hype up people, no newcomer would be needed to be shown there and thus can be in as unlockable characters not announced pre-reveal. (given the lack of newcomer unlockable characters in Brawl, this makes sense). Though I still expect Pac-Man to be shown at E3 just because he's a third-party character.
I almost guarantee this would be the reactions to the following. (Not taking into account the dedicated fans)

Mewtwo revealed only: "Seriously? Just Mewtwo? Smash really has no one left if Nintendo thinks he'll be enough for E3. Doomed, etc, etc" (Basically it'll give them a bad image.)
Mewtwo revealed with Pac Man: "Cool Pac Man fighting Mario."

Also saying he could actually get "many, many" people in the world to buy Smash 4 is pushing it. He sure wasn't Melee's selling point.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Take this quote

I almost guarantee this would be the reactions to the following. (Not taking into account the dedicated fans)

Mewtwo revealed only: "Seriously? Just Mewtwo? Smash really has no one left if Nintendo thinks he'll be enough for E3. Doomed, etc, etc" (Basically it'll give them a bad image.)
Mewtwo revealed with Pac Man: "Cool Pac Man fighting Mario."

Also saying he could actually get "many, many" people in the world to buy Smash 4 is pushing it. He sure wasn't Melee's selling point.
Why are you so sure? I mean, Mewtwo is the most requested character, and there is substantial proof to that.

Bringing back Mewtwo would appeal to many fans worldwide.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
They do, but not us.

These are probably the Miiverse people who are signing this petition.
Nailed it real hard since they are the lowest Nintendo fans after all. Besides, Nintendo barely takes Miiverse serious. The day Reggie joins the roster will be the day I quit Smash.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
All I'll say is this, since I've been noticing it a lot.

You guys know that Smashboards isn't representative of what the whole world gets hyped about, right? The "popular" opinion here doesn't necessarily correlate to the popular opinion over all. So saying one character is or isn't a hypeable character based on here alone is asinine.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Smash bros memories?
Despite probably being one of the oldest people on this forum, smash was introduced to me through melee.
I was going to college in Japan and one of the guys at the dorm I lived in had a GameCube, and I just happened to have the biggest tv on our floor so, me, another American, and two German guys would literally have like 10 hour long sessions beating the crap out of each other. It was so much fun..
My impression of the game was... "Where has this been all my life?"

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

You guys know that Smashboards isn't representative of what the whole world gets hyped about, right? The "popular" opinion here doesn't necessarily correlate to the popular opinion over all. So saying one character is or isn't a hypeable character based on here alone is asinine.
Which specific example are you referring to?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Why are you so sure? I mean, Mewtwo is the most requested character, and there is substantial proof to that.

Bringing back Mewtwo would appeal to many fans worldwide.
@ Opossum Opossum basically said what I was about to say specifically in reply to this, but I'll go even further.

I'll explain exactly why Mewtwo is A good character to show, but nowhere near THE character to show.

Firstly, and most importantly, E3 is a competition. Sony is in a headstart for a year now and Microsoft clearly has some stuff up their sleeves, and Nintendo themselves aren't backing down this year. But they'll have a hard time because to the E3 audience, Nintendo is in a near-irrelevancy state. The Wii U is clearly failing, but they need something to give off a good impression which is gonna be hard.

What does that have to do with all this? Simple. With the Smash invitation and discussion, Smash 4 is clearly gona be Nintendo's biggest game to show at E3. And what's Smash's biggest appeal? That's right, characters. Who the main character is gonna be is actually very important.

So why isn't Mewtwo a good choice to be the main character to show at E3, despite being popular?

-His audience are not E3's audience. He has a dedicated audience who actually aren't a priority in E3, Pokemon fans. (Emphasis on fans, not everyone who plays Pokemon necessarily cares about Mewtwo. Or in short the "casuals" don't.) The audience at E3 does NOT care for Pokemon, which to these people are nothing but "childish". Pokemon is probably the one video game franchise that is its own bubble. I'll get to this point later with evidence using Nintendo's own conferences, but this is crucial.
-No, he does not have mass appeal. Pikachu is the only Pokemon who does. You don't see Mewtwo advertised as the face of Pokemon, and you don't see him used in promotions often either.
-He is a veteran. He is not new to Smash. If he was the character to show at E3, a lot of people will shrug it off and consider it a failure on Nintendo's part to think that a Pokemon veteran could appeal to them. Journalists will definitely not react favorably to that.

Just being popular isn't gonna do much. You need something more than that. You need mass appeal, you need diversity, you need recognizability, you need something outside of the comfort zone. Mewtwo only fills "recognizability". He is such a safe option that nobody will care about him.

So let's get back to the whole Pokemon and E3 thing. Has a Pokemon game ever been announced at E3? That's right, none. Even when a Pokemon game is shown at E3, it is normally something insignificant or something that only addressees the fan. Like last year for example, X/Y took up a small portion of the direct, and Nintendo clearly wasn't trying to sell the game. Furthermore, nobody watches E3 for Pokemon. As someone who used to moderate a popular Pokemon forum, the E3 threads there only average about 3-5 pages with the same people posting in it. The Pokemon news, which are rare, get their own thread and nobody really cares it was revealed at E3. Pokemon in general is never shown at these types of video game events. It is a video game franchise that is very separate from the others. Also, the R/S remakes were revealed recently, but E3 is close, so why didn't they reveal it at E3 instead? Yeah.

So now that I established that Pokemon is pretty insignificant to E3, why would they show Mewtwo as THE character to reveal? There's so many factors that makes it a bad business decision. It'll give them a bad image, and Nintendo certainly does not need any more of that, especially if they want to make an impact at E3.

So then who is the character to show at E3? Easy, Pac Man.

Pac Man is pretty much one of, if not the face of video games. The medium E3 is based on. Everyone knows Pac Man, everyone knows his influence, everyone knows his importance. He is the perfect character to show to E3 because he'll reach out to so many people. Furthermore I seem to recall a poster from Namco boasting that Pac Man was actually more recognized than Mario via survey, but take tht witha grain of salt until I find it. (It was last year with the new cartoon's reveal.

He is also a third party, making him appeal to more than just dedicated Smash and Pokemon fans. And not only that, he can also reach out to the people who DON'T necessarily play video games. Considering E3 is all about trying to appeal o as many as people as possible (THIS is how Sony won last year and trumped both Microsoft and Nintendo), there's really no one but Pac Man to use as the main reveal for Smash 4.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
-His audience are not E3's audience. He has a dedicated audience who actually aren't a priority in E3, Pokemon fans. (Emphasis on fans, not everyone who plays Pokemon necessarily cares about Mewtwo. Or in short the "casuals" don't.) The audience at E3 does NOT care for Pokemon, which to these people are nothing but "childish". Pokemon is probably the one video game franchise that is its own bubble. I'll get to this point later with evidence using Nintendo's own conferences, but this is crucial.
-No, he does not have mass appeal. Pikachu is the only Pokemon who does. You don't see Mewtwo advertised as the face of Pokemon, and you don't see him used in promotions often either.
-He is a veteran. He is not new to Smash. If he was the character to show at E3, a lot of people will shrug it off and consider it a failure on Nintendo's part to think that a Pokemon veteran could appeal to them. Journalists will definitely not react favorably to that.
-Mewtwo would appeal to more than just the Pokemon audience. He would appeal to the Smash audience. The people who desperately want Mewtwo in the game.

-Mewtwo may not be as promoted as Pikachu, but he's still used in promotions very often, especially as of late. He's all over the place, now.

-He's a cut veteran. That means that he isn't assumed to return by default. This isn't the kind of thing people will just shrug off.

Also, who's to say we only get one character reveal at E3? Why not have Mewtwo, Pac-Man, and someone else? We got three last time, after all.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well, it's nice to know I was just in time to see this "war" ya'll have goin' on.

@ Spinosaurus Spinosaurus
Take into consideration that it isn't as black and white as you say it is.
Just because you're a newcomer =/= you'll be accepted with open arms, like how being a veteran =/= you're pushed aside.
Then again, I could also say that Mewtwo and Pac-man both have their equal share of popularity. So I don't get why must we call one "inferior" over another.
Ah well, back to hiding for me!...

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
-Mewtwo would appeal to more than just the Pokemon audience. He would appeal to the Smash audience. The people who desperately want Mewtwo in the game.

-Mewtwo may not be as promoted as Pikachu, but he's still used in promotions very often, especially as of late. He's all over the place, now.

-He's a cut veteran. That means that he isn't assumed to return by default. This isn't the kind of thing people will just shrug off.

Also, who's to say we only get one character reveal at E3? Why not have Mewtwo, Pac-Man, and someone else? We got three last time, after all.
I expect a handful of characters. I'd bet even more then 3.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

-But those people are still dedicated fans, not mainstream. Again, catering to just a specific group is a recipe for failure at E3.

-This is an anecdote, but I very rarely see him in advertisements in TV and posters. That Mega Mewtwo vs Mega Lucario poster, Genesect movie and Mega Mewtwo Y reveal trailer aren't really promotions.

-It really is.

Again, I did say Mewtwo is a good character to show at E3, in fact we'll probably get more than 3 character reveals. This is all in response to Mewtwo being the character who could carry E3, which simply is not true.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
-But those people are still dedicated fans, not mainstream. Again, catering to just a specific group is a recipe for failure at E3.

-This is an anecdote, but I very rarely see him in advertisements in TV and posters. That Mega Mewtwo vs Mega Lucario poster, Genesect movie and Mega Mewtwo Y reveal trailer aren't really promotions.

-It really is.

Again, I did say Mewtwo is a good character to show at E3, in fact we'll probably get more than 3 character reveals. This is all in response to Mewtwo being the character who could carry E3, which simply is not true.
-Even more casual fans want Mewtwo in. He's not some character that's only popular among a small group, he is the single most requested character in the world. That means something.

-You're saying a movie isn't promotion for Mewtwo? And there's a lot more Mewtwo has appeared in beside those things (which are pretty big things, mind you).

-I don't see how it is.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337

I've noticed that with many characters brought up here. In fact, while I agree with some of the opinions on this site, the rest of the popular opinion in other areas is far more influential than ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom