• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Palutena is too expected and too new to qualify as a hype train IMO. The others have been wanted for far longer and don't have the safety net of daddy Sakurai (although Mewtwo has the Pokemon Company boosting him up, to be fair).

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I keep saying Shulk, but apparently that wouldn't exactly attract people for some queer reason.

I mean, let's be real here, what the **** was Wii Fit Trainer supposed to appeal to?

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Well, I'm a little bored, so here's a roster.

View attachment 14302

Thoughts?
Well, for starters, taking away Mewtwo and Pac-Man makes my own roster, haha. Obviously, I don't have an issue with Mewtwo, but I'm still on the fence with Pac-Man. I just don't find him all that appealing. Aside from that, there really isn't anything more to say since this is almost MY roster xD Great job!

Ridley, Chrom, Shulk, Shadow, Krystal, and Palutena in my opinion
CHROM!? WHY!? He's boring and expected!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I keep saying Shulk, but apparently that wouldn't exactly attract people for some queer reason.

I mean, let's be real here, what the **** was Wii Fit Trainer supposed to appeal to?
I honestly do not find Shulk too appealing, but I am sure that the .86 million that bought the game would. Wii Fit Trainer is supposed to appeal to people that played Wii Fit, I suppose. I find her appealing enough, more so than Shulk.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Well, I imagine Wii Fit Trainer appealed to the health conscious people who use Wii Fit, and people who have a good sense of humor.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I honestly do not find Shulk too appealing, but I am sure that the .86 million that bought the game would. Wii Fit Trainer is supposed to appeal to people that played Wii Fit, I suppose. I find her appealing enough, more so than Shulk.
I really like Shulk because he's brilliant and looks a bit like me (aren't I handsome? :p). But seriously, I LOVE Xenoblade, but I wonder if the series compares to what we have. If he got in, I'd be skeptical, but certainly wouldn't complain. With Wii-Fit Trainer, her appeal is easily in her stance as a surprise and in her unique moveset. I know she'll be a lot of fun to use.

Morbi

Scavenger
I really like Shulk because he's brilliant and looks a bit like me (aren't I handsome? :p). But seriously, I LOVE Xenoblade, but I wonder if the series compares to what we have. If he got in, I'd be skeptical, but certainly wouldn't complain. With Wii-Fit Trainer, her appeal is easily in her stance as a surprise and in her unique moveset. I know she'll be a lot of fun to use.
Shulk is appealing because he has an English accent. I also enjoyed Xenoblade, but I would honestly be pretty confused if he was included over some of the essential Nintendo characters. However, as you say, I wouldn't necessarily complain. I am just not getting my hopes up.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Which characters are hypetrains?

Bonk, obviously. I might be biased.

Belmont and Pac-Man, but really any third party that might get in, is a hype train.

Geno was really requested in Brawl, Ridley is of course a hype train, I think Isaac could easily count as a hype train, shulk seems to as well.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Palutena is a hype train because she will generate a ton of discussion, mainly due to her potentially great facial expressions / characterization, and, of course, arguments over whether her legs are too sexualized.

Ridley and K. Rool need no explanation for why they're both hype trains.

Mewtwo would be a hype train because at this point (post-Greninja reveal) it seems most people are 50/50 on whether he'll be in.

Isaac and Shulk would only be hype trains if the other didn't get in. I'd actually kind of enjoy all the rage and fighting from either scenario.

No one else would be a hype train, unless you want to count extreme negative reactions to a character.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Am I the only person who played Xenoblade and didn't like Shulk or want him in Smash Bros.? He plays like other RPG characters I've used, and he has a bland design. Plus, he's a one-shot so far, like Ghirahim. I don't know, I just don't see the appeal, same with Palutena.

Morbi

Scavenger
Am I the only person who played Xenoblade and didn't like Shulk or want him in Smash Bros.? He plays like other RPG characters I've used, and he has a bland design. Plus, he's a one-shot so far, like Ghirahim. I don't know, I just don't see the appeal, same with Palutena.
No, you are not alone. I do not like Shulk and I did not want him in Smash Brothers. The only reason I would be content with him is because my sister wants him. I don't really see the appeal either, my theory is that it has to do with Sakurai's one tweet.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
No, you are not alone. I do not like Shulk and I did not want him in Smash Brothers. The only reason I would be content with him is because my sister wants him. I don't really see the appeal either, my theory is that it has to do with Sakurai's one tweet.
Well, seeing as how Xenoblade was quite popular, and apparently a very good game, from what I've heard, it makes sense that a lot of people would want to see Shulk in Smash. From my perspective, as someone who hasn't actually played Xenoblade, I'd be fine with his inclusion, though I wouldn't care too much for him. I find him to be one of the more overrated characters here, actually.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well, seeing as how Xenoblade was quite popular, and apparently a very good game, from what I've heard, it makes sense that a lot of people would want to see Shulk in Smash. From my perspective, as someone who hasn't actually played Xenoblade, I'd be fine with his inclusion, though I wouldn't care too much for him. I find him to be one of the more overrated characters here, actually.
Xenoblade wasn't actually that popular; I mean, popular relative to Nintendo IP that aren't already represented in Smash of course. But other than that, I feel as though it is the speculation hive-mind that convinces everyone that he is one of the most likely characters. The game was pretty good, but that doesn't necessarily dictate a characters chance in Smash, there isn't much of a correlation.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oh...sorry.
Do keep in mind that there are genuine Mii supporters out there. We even have a whole thread for them, after all.

...Although I kind of wrecked the place last time I went there...

D

Deleted member

The main 6 would be Mega Man, Little Mac, Palutena, Ridley, K Rool, and Mewtwo
(that's the order that they're going to be confirmed :smirk:)
But all characters cause hype.
So if Sakurai for whatever reason throws Reggie or himself into SSB4, people will get hyped about that? :troll:

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
I went through the trouble of buying Xenoblade Chronicles because I was curious. I've played it... three times, I think? I didn't find the beginning very compelling, and I'm not personally a fan of Shulk. I don't hate him or anything, I just remember him being kinda generic RPG hero-y. That, and I remember him shouting "I can feel the power!" (like a doof) when he earned affinity points or whatever they were called. I do plan to play all the way through the game, and maybe I'll become more of a fan then.
If he were included, I would be more excited for his fans and for the fact that another series were being represented in Smash, than I would be as a fan of the character myself.

As for why so many people expect him, I'm not sure.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So if Sakurai for whatever reason throws Reggie or himself into SSB4, people will get hyped about that? :troll:
That would probably be the single worst character choice they could possibly add in.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes, every "character" has supporters and detractors. Even Reggie, apparently. I am not sure about Sakurai, but playing as the creative director would hype me up to no end. I would use him as a punching bag for Ganondorf, make him regret making Ganondorf a clone.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Does anybody else feel like, if Miis do end up playable, that you would only be able to see friends' custom Miis?
I've been thinking about how family-friendly, image-conscious Nintendo could avoid the dreaded scenario of random strangers pitting celebrity vs. religious figure vs. politician vs. butt-or-genitals-for-a-face online, when suddenly mom and dad walk into the room and find little Billy being exposed to such horrors as Hitler kicking Obama in the head, and then it becomes a special report on national news.
Only allowing generic, safe Miis online could be a solution. That, or only allowing Miiverse-safe Miis. I don't go there often, but I have yet to see any Mii that caused me to wonder where the moderators were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom