• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
And Nintendo takes petitions very seriously. Look at all those EarthBound re-releases and sequels. And how about that operation Rainfall!
Operation Rainfall and Earthbound are worth making petitions about, not playable Reggie.

That is more of a "lol, lets try to get them to do this", instead of "I hope they seriously do this".

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Both a really terrible choices.

Not that hard to understand.
I've yet to be convinced that Toon Link was ever a terrible choice. I quite liked his inclusion in Brawl, and saw merit. With the merit remaining, I was quite pleased to see him return.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Operation Rainfall and Earthbound are worth making petitions about, not playable Reggie.

That is more of a "lol, lets try to get them to do this", instead of "I hope they seriously do this".
Yes, but is the Reggie Fils-A-Mech the R.O.B. of the future?

Honestly I didn't really enjoy the commercial with that till I got the spot pass mii. Due to this

The only way I can see Reggie being in is if the Mii is based off of his Mii (which may make me not hate the idea of the Mii as much)
I kind of agree with Reggie being used in Mii form.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Yes, but is the Reggie Fils-A-Mech the R.O.B. of the future?

Honestly I didn't really enjoy the commercial with that till I got the spot pass mii. Due to this

I kind of agree with Reggie being used in Mii form.
No, I don't agree that Reggie Fils-A-Mech the R.O.B. of the future. It would be funny to see him mentioned in the game as a trophy or such, but otherwise, not to me.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Ah, to heck with it. I'll probably get slapped, a lot, but I'm bringing up Fire Emblem again. Specifically, I'm going to talk how I think whether or not Marth is still unlockable will affect that game.

First, I'll talk about the scenario where he is a starter. With Marth as a starter this go-around, things look pretty grim for Ike, as he is the starter in Brawl. But, he isn't the only one left in bad shape. Chrom fits in Ike's starter spot nice and snug, so if Marth's the starter, he's left in bad shape, too. Unfortunately, this also would mean that Fire Emblem is probably stuck with only 2 representatives, for the third game in a row. We`re still left wondering who that unlockable is. I honestly think that an Awakening character will get in, so I think it would be the Tactician, who could`ve been either a starter or an unlockable.

That leaves us with the scenario that keeps Marth unlockable. This doesn`t change too much, still leaving wonder for what the remainder of the Fire Emblem representation would look like. However, this does affect what I'd expect from other series. Since Marth was selected over Ike or Chrom to be revealed first (which, to a much lesser extent, hurts them as well), spontaneously, at that, it'd make sense for Ness to come before Lucas. Naturally, so close to release, Lucas is put in danger as he is the one, between the two, that should be revealed to be in the game at all. That's all I can see Marth being an unlockable changing.

Marth seems to be bad news for Ike and Chrom, no matter what, but bad news for Chrom, I think, means good news for Tactician. Kinda sucks, though, since I also support no cuts, and Ike is among my favourites, but it looks like either he or Lucas is gonna go, too. :( Naturally, I'd prefer him be a starter. Using this analysis, what about you guys?

Or, do you think there is something I missed or am wrong about with either of these? Feel free to let me know.

andimidna

Smash Master
Ah, to heck with it. I'll probably get slapped, a lot, but I'm bringing up Fire Emblem again. Specifically, I'm going to talk how I think whether or not Marth is still unlockable will affect that game.

First, I'll talk about the scenario where he is a starter. With Marth as a starter this go-around, things look pretty grim for Ike, as he is the starter in Brawl. But, he isn't the only one left in bad shape. Chrom fits in Ike's starter spot nice and snug, so if Marth's the starter, he's left in bad shape, too. Unfortunately, this also would mean that Fire Emblem is probably stuck with only 2 representatives, for the third game in a row. We`re still left wondering who that unlockable is. I honestly think that an Awakening character will get in, so I think it would be the Tactician, who could`ve been either a starter or an unlockable.

That leaves us with the scenario that keeps Marth unlockable. This doesn`t change too much, still leaving wonder for what the remainder of the Fire Emblem representation would look like. However, this does affect what I'd expect from other series. Since Marth was selected over Ike or Chrom to be revealed first (which, to a much lesser extent, hurts them as well), spontaneously, at that, it'd make sense for Ness to come before Lucas. Naturally, so close to release, Lucas is put in danger as he is the one, between the two, that should be revealed to be in the game at all. That's all I can see Marth being an unlockable changing.

Marth seems to be bad news for Ike and Chrom, no matter what, but bad news for Chrom, I think, means good news for Tactician. Kinda sucks, though, since I also support no cuts, and Ike is among my favourites, but it looks like either he or Lucas is gonna go, too. :( Naturally, I'd prefer him be a starter. Using this analysis, what about you guys?

Or, do you think there is something I missed or am wrong about with either of these? Feel free to let me know.
Tbh, I didn't understand this whole post.

wat wer u sayin?

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Apparently Marth being revealed already never happened.
If you're suggesting that being revealed makes Marth a starter, that's pretty silly.

Tbh, I didn't understand this whole post.

wat wer u sayin?
Sadly, I'm not sure where you could've gotten lost. I thought I was pretty clear, or maybe that's just because I'm the one hat wrote it.

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
So basically you're breaking tradition in the vein attempt to be correct.
I'm sorry, what tradition are we talking about here? Marth being an unlockable? We speculators decided on that "tradition", not Sakurai.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I'm not trying to be insulting, so you don't need to be defensive and such, but...

Why should we not expect 2 starters from Fire Emblem?

And why do certain things apply to Ike and Chrom but not the Tactician?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm sorry, what tradition are we talking about here? Marth being an unlockable? We speculators decided on that "tradition", not Sakurai.
The character has already been revealed and your expecting him to be hidden away for absolutely no reason whatsoever?

Also I find it ironic how you're talking about tradition when you're purposely breaking it to make a point that frankly makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
For one, traditions aren't really in Smash, and if they are, the tradition of having transformable characters has been broken (Which is about as traditional as Marth being unlockable)

Now, Marth being a starter probably doesn't mean anything. Why can't Ike be unlockable this time?

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Why should we not expect 2 starters from Fire Emblem?
We potentially could, but I don't understand why Marth would be one of the two.

And why do certain things apply to Ike and Chrom but not the Tactician?
Ike and Chrom are the recent Lords, even though technically Ike appears in his Ranger class. Tactcician is more mysterious, and wouldn't just be the staple that everyone expects to replace Ike.

The character has already been revealed and your expecting him to be hidden away for absolutely no reason whatsoever?

Also I find it ironic how you're talking about tradition when you're purposely breaking it to make a point that frankly makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Wait, I'm confused. Are you judging me for breaking a tradition that you're assuming is already broken? That just doesn't add up. Not only that, but I never enforced any tradition. Heck, it should be obvious that I still think Marth could be one or the other, and YOU'RE the one talking about tradition, while assuming it's already broken to prove YOUR point!

Now, Marth being a starter probably doesn't mean anything. Why can't Ike be unlockable this time?
That trade-off doesn't make sense to me, at all. It's possible, but I don't think it's remotely likely.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Start with the Original Eight Starters (Mario, Pikachu, Samus, Link, DK, Fox, Yoshi, and Kirby) and everyone else has to be unlocked.

Solved.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036

*slaps*
Yeah it'd be a shame if Ike got cut. I really enjoy his playstyle. However, I would not be opposed to Robin/Tactician.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Reggie will be the only starter, and all others will be paid DLC.

But seriously, if Ness and Cap can go from hidden to starter and then back to hidden, I don't see why Marth can't be a starter. I'm starting to feel like secret characters aren't really a thing anymore, and that secret and unlockable aren't always the same thing. Marth, Ness, Sonic, and Snake were all in Brawl's intro, but weren't starters. So a few hidden characters could have already been shown. Or all the fighters shown thus far could be starters, with the possible exception of Mega Man and Sonic. I have been leaning in the direction of the latter.

Start with the Original Eight Starters (Mario, Pikachu, Samus, Link, DK, Fox, Yoshi, and Kirby) and everyone else has to be unlocked.

Solved.
I actually really like that idea, for some reason. Probably because I really like the feeling of finding and earning hidden characters.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Eh, I find it the smartest way to do things, we all already know Marth's returning. No need to have him unlockable with a newcomer playable from the start.
No reason to hide the hype-generating newcomer, either.

*slaps*
Yeah it'd be a shame if Ike got cut. I really enjoy his playstyle. However, I would not be opposed to Robin/Tactician.
Yeah, it's hard for me to have to choose. I'd ultimately rather the Tactician, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom