• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hate him. He's a Waddle Dee with a spear.
And a bandana! :p

As for Ganon, I'm actually becoming fond of the idea. We have two Links and two Zeldas, two Ganons can finish off the hexagon. Plus he's a giant blue pig so...

Not that I think he's likely, I just think it would be cool.

Last edited:

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
@ Sobreviviente Sobreviviente
I don't think Tetra will make it, but Young Link's chances are absolutely 100% dead.
For the same reason: over-saturation of a specific character. Tetra makes three Zeldas, YL makes three Links.
uhm i was thinking in franchise representation, Classic Series in this case, something Ganon can do and why i think he is likely right now.
Next will be Classic Link (YL) because he represents that part of zelda better, but less likely than Ganon because he is not that iconic and a new form for ganondorf (not a clone of course) could sound more acceptable among fans.

I dont see "too many linksman" an important problem to deal with honestly.

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
It appears you don't quite get what the comparison is referring to.

You're saying that Ganondorf, a.k.a. Ganon, the most important villain in the entire scope of the Zelda franchise, is capable of being replaced by Ghirahim, a villain's lackey featured in one Zelda title to date (with said villain being essentially Ganon's origin).
That is quite comparable to saying Fawful, a villain's lackey featured in a Mario RPG (who, to his credit, is also the main villain in one of the sequels), is capable of replacing Bowser, the most important villain in the entire scope of the Mario franchise.

Do you not get how illogical that is?
Do you deny Ghirahim has a large fan base and following?

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
No.

But I will deny that his is bigger than Ganondorf's, the main villain of the franchise.
Agreed, which is why I only said Ghirahim has a POSSIBILITY. Maybe many people here, not pointing fingers, are misconstruing possible and probable. I'm not saying you did, but there's been a lot of arguing becasue I said he was possible. Sure, I through numbers in there, which I could see changing, but I was never convinced Ganondorf was being cut.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
All I'll say is this, since I've been noticing it a lot.

You guys know that Smashboards isn't representative of what the whole world gets hyped about, right? The "popular" opinion here doesn't necessarily correlate to the popular opinion over all. So saying one character is or isn't a hypeable character based on here alone is asinine.
You have my applause.

I think a lot of people here tend to forget that. Before I even came to Smash Boards again for Smash 4, I was hyped about several characters, and had a lot of characters in mind for playable, but none of them were Ridley, K. Rool, Takamaru, or Bandana Dee, which seem to be popular choices. I was actually really shocked when I saw these characters requested so heavily.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
So we all agree Kirby franchise will have three reps, right?
Bandanna Dee is not likely to replace M. Knight, in my opinion, but I won't say he's out of the question.

@Bauske
Finally, I was beginning to think I was the only one.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
So we all agree Kirby franchise will have three reps, right?
Bandanna Dee is not likely to replace M. Knight, in my opinion, but I won't say he's out of the question.
They could get four reps. Admittedly, there'd be outrage if they got four before DK got three (and Metroid, but that's a bombshell I don't want touched), it's still perfectly within reason. Kirby is one of Nintendo's better selling IPs.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Im sure you have a source for that ;D
Part of TL's hate is because he is not YL, just saying.
So Toon Link is essentially a replacement scrappy in their eyes? Ah well, I guess that's to be expected, after all, Lucario still seems to have his share of hate for the same reasons (and now Greninja apparently too).

Still personally prefer Toon Link over Young Link and Link...

Cpt.

Smash Lord
They could get four reps. Admittedly, there'd be outrage if they got four before DK got three (and Metroid, but that's a bombshell I don't want touched), it's still perfectly within reason. Kirby is one of Nintendo's better selling IPs.
Not that I like to limit the amount of reps for a series (as long as they are important enough), but yeah Kirby really should have four if DKC and Metroid don't have three.

Morbi

Scavenger
Toon Link's hate revolves around the fact that he has the exact same moveset as Link.

Toon Link IS essentially Young Link.
Although, one thing that bothers me, Sakurai took away Toon Link's Fire Arrows. I will never understand that, he changed the one move they didn't share back. I was very confused.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Sceptile-like logic ahoy:

(Note: I don't actually beleive in this logic; I just think it's hilarious that similar stretches of logic like used for Sceptile can be used for Ganon. :troll:)
I think it's viable. (the Ganon theory not Sceptile) After all, we got

This current Link, which I like to think is based on the Skyward Sword version,
Zelda whose heavily Inspired on Twilight Princess,
Toon Link coming from Wind Waker and it's sequels,
Shiek who hails from Ocarina of Time,
Pig Gannon (Which i shall henceforth call PiGannon) Would be the Classic era, being the final link to the past. :p

That way we have every generation of zelda represented in smash!

The Sceptile Theory doesn't work because there's too many left out to form a reasonable pattern. We have 3 generation 1's, and only one from 4 & 6. Also we already reached the franchise cap for pokemon. (5 Characters)

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Although, one thing that bothers me, Sakurai took away Toon Link's Fire Arrows. I will never understand that, he changed the one move they didn't share back. I was very confused.
Yeah, he will probably get it as part of his moveset customization this time though (As well as the Ice Arrows)

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
That is irrelevant.
I don't see how it is. In rating anyone's chances in making it to Smash, you must consider a variety of things.
  1. Relevance
  2. Promotional oppurtunities
  3. Importance
  4. Not dissapointing fans
Litlle Mac and Mega Man and Game and Watch are evidence that poitn (1) may be in question,
Ghirahim is ...
1. Relevant
2. Would promote Skyward Sword, as it's sales were lacking for a Zelda Game.
3. Important in the most recent game, go back to relevance here
4. he has a fan base for Smash. A pretty decent one, at that. Rivaled only be some of the best, like Ridley, Mewtwo, Chrom, and Pualatena. Others that I see tied with him include Bandanna Dee and King K. Rool.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah, he will probably get it as part of his moveset customization this time though (As well as the Ice arrow)
I hope that Link doesn't share Fire Arrows and Ice Arrows, I mean, they probably will share them, but I would like to see Toon Link have the elemental arrows and Link to have bomb arrows or just stronger arrows that take longer to charge. For some variety. But whatever, I am just going to use Ice Arrows on both of them anyways.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I hope that Link doesn't share Fire Arrows and Ice Arrows, I mean, they probably will share them, but I would like to see Toon Link have the elemental arrows and Link to have bomb arrows or just stronger arrows that take longer to charge. For some variety. But whatever, I am just going to use Ice Arrows on both of them anyways.
I'd like to see Link use the Bomb Arrows instead too, perhaps also the ability to shoot three Arrows at once for a little more diversity, while Toon Link gets the elemental Arrows.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I thought it was weird that YL had any arrows in Melee...

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Toon Link's hate revolves around the fact that he has the exact same moveset as Link.

Toon Link IS essentially Young Link.
YL was more fun because the fire, that gaves him more uniqueness (thats what people thinks at least).
I feel more hate towards TL than to YL, im sure everyone will be happy with him.

On the other hand, more pople will hate TL if YL is back but whatever :L

D

Deleted member

I don't see how it is. In rating anyone's chances in making it to Smash, you must consider a variety of things.
  1. Relevance
  3. Importance
Litlle Mac and Mega Man and Game and Watch are evidence that poitn (1) may be in question,
Ghirahim is ...
1. Relevant
4. he has a fan base for Smash. A pretty decent one, at that. Rivaled only be some of the best, like Ridley, Mewtwo, Chrom, and Pualatena. Others that I see tied with him include Bandanna Dee and King K. Rool.
It's irrelevant because it has no meaning in what our discussion is about.

Said discussion being that (since you don't seem to understand) Ghirahim replacing Ganondorf does not make any sense.
The only thing this post I'm quoting and the question about his fanbase is relevant to is whether or not Ghirahim makes sense to be in Smash at all. Which is not even remotely close to what I was talking about. Thus, it is irrelevant to the discussion.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Whoa whoa, back it up there.

K. Rool's fanbase is 1,000x bigger than Ghirahim's. In fact, much of Ghirahim's fanbase has stopped supporting him, or being vocal about it at least.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
  1. Relevance
  3. Importance
Ghirahim is ...
1. Relevant
I'd have to argue about Ghirahim's relevance, he'll probably never appear in a Zelda game again

this would also bring promotional opportunities under fire

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Ghirahim should play a part in future Zelda games.

As the evil version of the Mastersword. Link can choose either the Mastersword or Ghirahim which changes the story and how he interacts with the world/characters.

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I'd say the same about relevance for Ghirahim too, he'll probably never appear again. But maybe it's important to remember he was one of the main antagonists in chronologically the first Zelda game in the series.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
It's irrelevant because it has no meaning in what our discussion is about.

Said discussion being that (since you don't seem to understand) Ghirahim replacing Ganondorf does not make any sense.
The only thing this post I'm quoting and the question about his fanbase is relevant to is whether or not Ghirahim makes sense to be in Smash at all. Which is not even remotely close to what I was talking about. Thus, it is irrelevant to the discussion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relevant

My initial post about Ghirahim was about his chances, which you attacked "it doesn't make sense". I defended with "It could make sense becasue he is relevant"
My comment about possibe apperance and fanbase relates to his chances and RELEVANCE.

@samusrules93
A valid argument.

@Xenoblaze
My bad. That game honestly went under the radar for me. It was download exclusive, yes?

@Louie G
True about the Ghirahim's fanbase, but I remember at one point, My friends, the web, and maybe even smashboards, throwing around "Ridley" and "Chrom" and "Ghirahim" a lot.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
What characters am I missing for my new poll guys? It comes out in less than a month and I don't wanna hear nothin' if your fave isn't included because I'm askin now

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/shortiecanbrawl/ididgoodright_zpsaf17302d.png~original
piece of advice - use imgur over photobucket. much cleaner/easier to use website

No, it was available at retail too.
It was a full fledged zelda game. Honestly, imo, much better than the previous DS one.

it was really good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom