• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Little Mac is interesting now that we've seen him. Many people called him bland and boring before reveal, but Sakurai made them eat their words.
I see no reason why Pac-Man would be any different.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Is the Pellet Slingshot actually from a Pacman game? If so, that's hilarious.
Yup! From Pac-Man 2. In all actuality, it wasn't used by Pac-Man in that game, but the player used it to direct Pac-Man's attention to what he wanted. I honestly would love a Pac-Man 2 reference in Pac-Man's moveset, and I've stated it before for having the hang glider be his Up B. Here, I'll quote my post in the Pac-Man support thread:

"That's why I've always liked the idea of the hang glider being his up special. Everyone picks the Pac-Dot Chain, but I don't see how that could really be used for damage. I'm sure if Pac-Man came in contact with someone while he was munching the chain, that would do damage, but unless it's super fast, you'll see where he's going by the dots, and it could be easily avoided.

The hang glider, however, could be a neat mechanic. When used, it initially does a bit of an upward climb, but then quickly goes into a downward glide, similar to how Pit, MetaKnight, and Charizard used to glide. If you hang onto the glider, it might take you farther, but you're unable to attack past the initial upward spike when used. If you jump off it, you can attack again, but lose the extra comeback ability.

I would absolutely love to see this as his recovery move, simply because I'd like some Pac-Man 2 representation of some sort in his moveset. Plus the hang glider was featured pretty prominently on the cover art for Pac-Man 2, so it's at least a stand out object from the game. The only problem I can see with this move is it might be TOO good of a recovery move."

Terrible screenshot, I know, but it shows the glider and the slingshot. :D

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Little Mac is interesting now that we've seen him. Many people called him bland and boring before reveal, but Sakurai made them eat their words.
It's not that he's bland, it's that he just looks weird. like, serial killer levels of creepy.

Morbi

Scavenger
It's not that he's bland, it's that he just looks weird. like, serial killer levels of creepy.
Do you mean Villager? Little Mac looks like a Brooklyn kid helping out at his local shelter.

He really isn't that much more interesting than most people were insinuating though, I mean, besides his KO uppercut... he meets expectations.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
louie where'd you get that avatar

also pac-man has even more than little mac. It's kinda like this: Pac-Man has a lot of moves to pick from (See: Various games) but can't see mechnically interesting. Little Mac has a lot mechanically interesting but not a lot of moves from his game. I don't know how to reword it but yeah. Hang glide move is a good recovery idea.

Morbi

Scavenger

also pac-man has even more than little mac. It's kinda like this: Pac-Man has a lot of moves to pick from (See: Various games) but can't see mechnically interesting. Little Mac has a lot mechanically interesting but not a lot of moves from his game. I don't know how to reword it but yeah. Hang glide move is a good recovery idea.
I feel like you worded it correctly. That is essentially how I feel.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

That's a pretty good way to put it, honestly.
Similar to how I feel about Chrom/Lucina's moveset, honestly.

D

Deleted member

Don't like his modern design? Well with Mega Man going retro, there's no reason Pac-Man couldn't as well. Wouldn't this be fine?
Eww, those shoes...I'd prefer it if they were simple like in the World games or the arcade art.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Don't like his modern design? Well with Mega Man going retro, there's no reason Pac-Man couldn't as well. Wouldn't this be fine?
Better, but he still needs to lose the fingers.
Also, simplify the boots, and lastly, his eyes and eyebrows will need to be thinner and longer.

edit: Also, his legs and shoes are disproportionately large.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Better, but he still needs to lose the fingers.
Also, simplify the boots, and lastly, his eyes and eyebrows will need to be thinner and longer.

edit: Also, his legs and shoes are disproportionately large.
You are really, really particular, aren't you?

I feel as though the design is fine. I honestly prefer his rapist/murder design though.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If I'm making "needless comparisons," would you not be doing the same with WarioWare/Land? I apologize if this comes off as "holier than thou."
Personally, I think Wario Land Wario would be far more interesting than the randomness of WarioWare Wario, I haven't played either franchise so I have no bias in regards to that. I'd really just like to know what exactly entails a "bland" or "generic" moveset, what makes one more interesting than another?
It all comes down to moveset design and what they could offer to diversify the roster. It isn't really about the aesthetics but rather the function. In this case, let's go back to WL and WW Wario. What can WL offer? A shoulder bash, a buttstomp and throwing enemies. The latter is a bit difficult to implement, but the former two are pretty standard fighting moves. Having them be designed to have large roles would be underwhelming. WL Wario is a pretty straightforward "beat up what's in the way" character archetype, compared to the zaniness and laziness of Warioware Wario. WW Wario may NOT do much in terms of actual fighting, but imagining him fight is an easy task that's open to be creative. Warioware Wario in Brawl kinda fills the acrobatic fat style that Smash doesn't have (see: Rufus in Street Fighter, Bob in Tekken). Pull in moves from various Warioware stuff, and you got yourself a largely unique utility based fighter that's unheard of in Smash. (Besides Snake in a way) Project M Wario in comparison is pretty much another Jigglypuff.

I box, so it's very easy for me to see why Lil Mac can work. It's not that he doesn't looks generic, I can understand thinking that (though I think he's too...spiced up in Smash. Exaggerated animations and all giving him a bad form which the boxer in me does NOT like lol), but he definitely brings something new to the table. I was actually thinking he'd be a pressure based fighter who has a huge advantage if you're on the defense or a stance based fighter, but Sakuri went with being a monster ground fighter who is weak on air which I respect because it goes with the whole basic idea of how balancing your feet on the ground and footwork in general is one of the most important thing in boxing. I'm drawing blank for Pac Man though, no matter how unique he'll LOOK, I feel like he'll PLAY like a more standard fighter. I do want Pac Man in, so don't get me wrong, and in fact I'm more excited to see what Sakurai does to him because of that.
About as similar as Lucario and Mewtwo imo.
I
There are some similarities, but the difference far outweigh them.
I see them as different as MvC3 Ryu is from SF4 Ryu. The differences pretty much comes from the different mechanical designs of the games.

Admittedly, I have never played as SFxT Mega Man since I have the 360 version, so this is all from what I saw. So I could be wrong.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This route is highly unlikely for Pac, but a lack of known moves hasn't stopped Sakurai before.
True, there are many instances where a character who never really displayed much in terms of fighting ability was given a made up move set that fit with the character. Sheik is just one such character; despite not doing much in Ocarina of Time outside of teleporting and playing a harp, since Sheik was clearly ninja-esque, they gave her a ninja-esque move set. That sort of interpretation seems to be the route they go for when a character doesn't display a lot of abilities in their games.

Now, in terms of Pac-Man, I think there's enough source material to make a move set out of without needing to resort to imagining up new moves for him, especially since, as a third-party character, that may be regarded as somewhat disrespectful. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
Now, in terms of Pac-Man, I think there's enough source material to make a move set out of without needing to resort to imagining up new moves for him, especially since, as a third-party character, that may be regarded as somewhat disrespectful. But that's just me.
Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking, too. Just saying that "Oh but he only eats" is sort of a moot argument by itself, even beyond the fact that it's not true.
Also, I thought the post would be kinda funny. /shrug

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Here's to hoping Pacman, Chorus Men and Miis all end up just being assist trophies:)

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Here's to hoping Pacman, Chorus Men and Miis all end up just being assist trophies:)
Um... I kind of actually want Pac-Man and Miis...

But I would love to see a Chorus Men assist trophy. That would finally deal with that "leak."

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I found it when searching "Mewtwo Cartoon" on Google.

image.jpg

It looks very John K. inspired and I love that look. Also it reflects my feelings about stupid arguments against Mewtwo.

And @ Kenith Kenith is becoming convinced about Pac-Man?
Well I'll be darned.

They all have enough merit to be something more.
Yes, even Chorus Men.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It all comes down to moveset design and what they could offer to diversify the roster. It isn't really about the aesthetics but rather the function. In this case, let's go back to WL and WW Wario. What can WL offer? A shoulder bash, a buttstomp and throwing enemies. The latter is a bit difficult to implement, but the former two are pretty standard fighting moves. Having them be designed to have large roles would be underwhelming. WL Wario is a pretty straightforward "beat up what's in the way" character archetype, compared to the zaniness and laziness of Warioware Wario. WW Wario may NOT do much in terms of actual fighting, but imagining him fight is an easy task that's open to be creative. Warioware Wario in Brawl kinda fills the acrobatic fat style that Smash doesn't have (see: Rufus in Street Fighter, Bob in Tekken). Pull in moves from various Warioware stuff, and you got yourself a largely unique utility based fighter that's unheard of in Smash. (Besides Snake in a way) Project M Wario in comparison is pretty much another Jigglypuff.

I box, so it's very easy for me to see why Lil Mac can work. It's not that he doesn't looks generic, I can understand thinking that (though I think he's too...spiced up in Smash. Exaggerated animations and all giving him a bad form which the boxer in me does NOT like lol), but he definitely brings something new to the table. I was actually thinking he'd be a pressure based fighter who has a huge advantage if you're on the defense or a stance based fighter, but Sakuri went with being a monster ground fighter who is weak on air which I respect because it goes with the whole basic idea of how balancing your feet on the ground and footwork in general is one of the most important thing in boxing. I'm drawing blank for Pac Man though, no matter how unique he'll LOOK, I feel like he'll PLAY like a more standard fighter. I do want Pac Man in, so don't get me wrong, and in fact I'm more excited to see what Sakurai does to him because of that.
Then it would mostly be a matter of how creative one can get, if you can't think of anything for Pac-Man, you just need to look harder. Sakurai has made many diverse choices, it would be easy for him to think of something for Pac-Man. I'm thinking one method would be to make him a grappling character of sorts, if most of his moves were bites, he could latch onto the opponent for a short moment for those, which is only currently done by a few characters with only a single move. This could make for an interesting bait and chase mechanic that would be very true to the original Pac-Man as well, he could have a few fake-outs that would lead to false security in the opponent before they end up chomped, similar to Pac being backed into a corner before getting a power pellet and eating the ghosts. It would certainly be a different grapple mechanic from the likes of the Ice Climbers or Dedede, he could even potentially have aerial grapples. It's just a quick thought, but it's possible.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Um... I kind of actually want Pac-Man and Miis...

But I would love to see a Chorus Men assist trophy. That would finally deal with that "leak."
I guess I would not mind pacman, but I think there are so many other better potential characters

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Then it would mostly be a matter of how creative one can get, if you can't think of anything for Pac-Man, you just need to look harder. Sakurai has made many diverse choices, it would be easy for him to think of something for Pac-Man. I'm thinking one method would be to make him a grappling character of sorts, if most of his moves were bites, he could latch onto the opponent for a short moment for those, which is only currently done by a few characters with only a single move. This could make for an interesting bait and chase mechanic that would be very true to the original Pac-Man as well, he could have a few fake-outs that would lead to false security in the opponent before they end up chomped, similar to Pac being backed into a corner before getting a power pellet and eating the ghosts. It would certainly be a different grapple mechanic from the likes of the Ice Climbers or Dedede, he could even potentially have aerial grapples. It's just a quick thought, but it's possible.
You mean Pac-Man biting and moving the opponent like a snake, that would be very creepy.. ;____;

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Oh, I thought that the Pac-Man supporters were getting to you, good to know that you are still sane. :denzel:
Understanding someone else's opinion is not the same as actually wanting what they want, or agreeing with them.

I don't want Pacman by any stretch of the imagination- but at the very least, I can now tolerate him.

But if he gets in before Ghirahim I'll never forgive Sakurai !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom