• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't think I posted this here yet.

Added Snake this time, eat your heart out.
Grovyle in addition to Mewtwo and Jigglypuff? I still find six slots to be somewhat questionable, but seven? And for Grovyle of all things?

Also, Professor Layton apparently got in over Pac-Man. That doesn't seem right.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Every character from the Sal Romano leak, but yet no Chorus Men? I didn't realize that people actually wanted Pac-Man, Mii, and Chrom (in addition to Villager and Wii Fit Trainer already on the roster) in the same roster. That is just begging for some of the most generic characters of all time.

Other than that, this is one of the safest rosters I have ever seen. The only strange thing is Krystal. I don't even know who you could replace her with that is more "safe" as you have everyone on your roster. So keep for the spice!
Pacman, mii and chrom imo are dull but very very likely. As for krystal im a super supporter for her and I really do think she has a shot if sakurai wants a unique female star fox rep and has paid attention to her popularity, I especially think she has a good chance if there is a brand new star fox game announced at e3 but who knows. Also there is the fact every game has had a new star fox unlockable character so Ill wait and see.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That's what I'm saying,
If Pac-Man were to get into Smash Bros, he would probably have arms and legs, but Sakurai is great at keeping characters close to their roots. A great example of this is actually Little Mac. His design is based off of Punch Out Wii, but Sakurai opted for the KO Meter rather than the also classic Star Uppercut. We also have a Wife Frame Mac alternate costume. If Sakurai cares enough to look back to the arcade iteration of Punch Out, I'm positive that he would make Pac-Man reminiscent of the game we all know and love him from. Does this mean a lot of eating? Yes, probably. But Sonic's got a lot of spinning going on. :p
Well then I guess I have nothing to argue about.

Unless you were to bring up Chorus Men, Chrom, or Miis.

I dare you :p

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
like I said here, the special flag actually HINDERS pacman, because it shows Sakurai isn't thanking Namco with a character, but instead with an item. it's really just something to say thanks. they wouldn't be doing this if pacman was in.
The problem here is we're assuming we know how the Special Flag works. It might not be a summon at all. It might be a power up, similar to how Wii Fit Trainer can power up her attacks. Maybe the Special Flag temporarily increases your attack power, which is something we've never seen in an item before. The Galaga aliens might be an Assist Trophy.

Again, we don't know. Everyone is assuming we know how the Special Flag works simply from how Charizard is holding it; like an Assist Trophy. But to me, he could also just hold it like that temporarily before he gets powered up.

Regardless, I don't think this hinders Pac-Man in any way. Namco is getting items in the game, whether it IS their own brand of Assist Trophies or if it's just a power up. If it is an Assist Trophy type system, don't you think Ms. Pac-Man could come out instead of Pac-Man if he's playable? Best of both worlds. :D

As for Pac-Man and to people who don't think he deserves to be in Smash, Pac-Man is literally one of the most important characters in video gaming. In fact, he's considered the first arcade game character. He preceded Mario and all other Nintendo characters, he did a platforming game before Mario did, and Pac-Man is still, to this day, considered the highest grossing arcade game of all time.

While he may not be relevant to gaming nowadays since gaming is such a huge industry with a ton of money invested, that industry would not be where it is today without Pac-Man's influence. Pac-Man arrived on the scene at a time where gaming was mainly for males and consisted of tank and space shooters. And people were getting bored of it. Video gaming was considered a passing fad, but when Pac-Man came onto the scene, it changed people's perspectives and turned the gaming industry around. It appealed to both males and females and, if you weren't around to experience it, it created a sensation across the world. Toys, songs, books, competitions, and a TV show are all just some of the things Pac-Man had because of it's popularity, a feat which NO OTHER video game had ever done before that. We act like it's no big deal nowadays to see a video game get toys or a TV show or other things following it, but Pac-Man was the first to do this.

Again, if you doubt Pac-Man's importance to the gaming industry or doubt his inclusion in the game completely, do a little research. I'm not just spouting these things off because I'm a Pac-Man fanatic. I'm a Pac-Man fanatic because of these facts. He is a gaming icon, a legend, everyone knows who he is, and even though he's not as important nowadays as he was before, he's still Namco's most prized character. To think that that same company that's working on this game and now has items in it wouldn't get representation of a character, the same pleasure other companies like Capcom and Sega have who have not had any direct influence on the game itself, you're turning a blind eye to a very real possibility.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I must ask; is this a prediction or wishlist roster?
little bit of both.

Grovyle is because people started expecting sceptile for some reason, meanwhile I feel Grovyle is likelier and better.

Layton is mostly wish.

everything else has insufficient evidence either way so I'm mostly putting what I'm expecting with a little bias put into it.

Morbi

Scavenger
little bit of both.

Grovyle is because people started expecting sceptile for some reason, meanwhile I feel Grovyle is likelier and better.

Layton is mostly wish.

everything else has insufficient evidence either way so I'm mostly putting what I'm expecting with a little bias put into it.
Grovyle loses the one thing that Sceptile had going for it, the arbitrary pattern.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm tempted, but I'm going to pass. :p

Let's talk about Mewtwo, shall we?
I suppose that would be a good topic to tie in with the RTC thread. Though, in all honesty, I feel like the discussion would be (and perhaps should be) focused on whether or not Pokemon will get six slots. At this point, I do think that's the only thing really standing in Mewtwo's way.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
The problem here is we're assuming we know how the Special Flag works. It might not be a summon at all. It might be a power up, similar to how Wii Fit Trainer can power up her attacks. Maybe the Special Flag temporarily increases your attack power, which is something we've never seen in an item before. The Galaga aliens might be an Assist Trophy.

Again, we don't know. Everyone is assuming we know how the Special Flag works simply from how Charizard is holding it; like an Assist Trophy. But to me, he could also just hold it like that temporarily before he gets powered up.

Regardless, I don't think this hinders Pac-Man in any way. Namco is getting items in the game, whether it IS their own brand of Assist Trophies or if it's just a power up. If it is an Assist Trophy type system, don't you think Ms. Pac-Man could come out instead of Pac-Man if he's playable? Best of both worlds. :D

As for Pac-Man and to people who don't think he deserves to be in Smash, Pac-Man is literally one of the most important characters in video gaming. In fact, he's considered the first arcade game character. He preceded Mario and all other Nintendo characters, he did a platforming game before Mario did, and Pac-Man is still, to this day, considered the highest grossing arcade game of all time.

While he may not be relevant to gaming nowadays since gaming is such a huge industry with a ton of money invested, that industry would not be where it is today without Pac-Man's influence. Pac-Man arrived on the scene at a time where gaming was mainly for males and consisted of tank and space shooters. And people were getting bored of it. Video gaming was considered a passing fad, but when Pac-Man came onto the scene, it changed people's perspectives and turned the gaming industry around. It appealed to both males and females and, if you weren't around to experience it, it created a sensation across the world. Toys, songs, books, competitions, and a TV show are all just some of the things Pac-Man had because of it's popularity, a feat which NO OTHER video game had ever done before that. We act like it's no big deal nowadays to see a video game get toys or a TV show or other things following it, but Pac-Man was the first to do this.

Again, if you doubt Pac-Man's importance to the gaming industry or doubt his inclusion in the game completely, do a little research. I'm not just spouting these things off because I'm a Pac-Man fanatic. I'm a Pac-Man fanatic because of these facts. He is a gaming icon, a legend, everyone knows who he is, and even though he's not as important nowadays as he was before, he's still Namco's most prized character. Tto think that that same company that's working on this game and now has items in it wouldn't get representation of a character, the same pleasure other companies like Capcom and Sega have who have not had any direct influence on the game itself, you're turning a blind eye to a very real possibility.
if you say Pacman in his current form is even half as iconic than his arcade version with a straight face, I know that you are really blinded to this reality.

I know that the special flag might not work as I predicted, but that's the only way all this connects together, with the Galaga aliens likely not being items. I do not have the decisive evidence for this assumption, so I can't prove it beyond reasonable doubt.

that I get.

However, almost all of the rest of the stuff you typed shows you are pretty defensive when it comes to pacman. It's really obvious and well-proven that he's really iconic in terms of video games. Woo. Go you. That however does NOT show why Pacman has relevance to Nintendo or why he should be PLAYABLE in smash. being a PLAYABLE third-party requires more than just being a gaming icon. it requires being a NINTENDO icon (or being Sakurai's best friend.) which is something Pacman lacks a little.

Sorry for bringing you down to earth.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I just want to keep talking about how likely he is. :p

In reality though, a moveset discussion would be ideal.
Simple.

Mewtwo's Special Moves:

B: Shadow Ball: Mewtwo creates a dark energy ball that shatters defenses and floats leisurely across the stage.
SB: Pystrike: Mewtwo claps and fire a beam of concentrated psychic energy.
DB: Confusion: Mewtwo can reject projectiles and daze close enemies.
UB: Teleport: A quick teleport.

Final Smash: Mega Mewtwo Y:
Mewtwo transforms into Mega Mewtwo Y, boosting his psychic attack power greatly and adds energy effects to all of his melee attacks.

In addition, his standard attacks are quicker and hit harder, but he's still floaty.

... As you can see, I've removed Disable for a much more useful Psystrike physical attack, and combined the effects of Disable and Confusion and turned them into one move.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well,another Pikmin hope was crushed. I didn't care for any Pikmin 3 characters,I would kind of see them as all clones.

The only Pikmin character I ever wanted was the President.
I just love this character.

But,knowing logic on my side,I'm going to say Pikmin won't get another rep in this game.

Unless SSB5 confirms more Pikmin reps,oh the glorious days with me and my main,the President :troll:

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
if you say Pacman in his current form is even half as iconic than his arcade version with a straight face, I know that you are really blinded to this reality.

I know that the special flag might not work as I predicted, but that's the only way all this connects together, with the Galaga aliens likely not being items. I do not have the decisive evidence for this assumption, so I can't prove it beyond reasonable doubt.

that I get.

However, almost all of the rest of the stuff you typed shows you are pretty defensive when it comes to pacman. It's really obvious and well-proven that he's really iconic in terms of video games. Woo. Go you. That however does NOT show why Pacman has relevance to Nintendo or why he should be PLAYABLE in smash. being a PLAYABLE third-party requires more than just being a gaming icon. it requires being a NINTENDO icon (or being Sakurai's best friend.) which is something Pacman lacks a little.

Sorry for bringing you down to earth.
But I don't think that's required in this case. Snake got special treatment because Sakurai is friends with Kojima. As much as Sakurai said Namco won't get special treatment in terms of a character, I have to think he was just saying this to the press, as Namco is undoubtedly going to be getting special treatment for working on this game. At the time he said that, most people were already assuming Pac-Man was going to be a character.

As for Pac-Man having a history with Nintendo, I beg to differ. Pac-Man is Miyamoto's favorite game character. Heck, when deciding on the original Kirby's color for Kirby's Adventure for the NES, Sakurai wanted to make him pink, and Miyamoto wanted to make him yellow, in reference to Pac-Man. Miyamoto also created his own Pac-Man game for the GameCube: Pac-Man Versus, which was a featured title sold on the GameCube exclusively along with Pac-Man World 2. The game featured Mario commentating on the actions of Pac-Man and ghosts chasing each other in the stages. Later, Namco adopted this game and put it in the DS game Namco Museum DS.

Not only that, but Pac-Man has already appeared alongside Mario three times in Mario Kart Arcade GP, a game of which was also developed in part by Namco. And in two of those titles, Namco didn't just have Pac-Man, they also had Ms. Pac-Man and Blinky racing alongside Mario, Peach, Bowser, and the rest of the crew. That's more than Snake could ever claim to have, and yet he still got in.

Add to the fact that Namco also had Link costar in Soul Calibur 2, and I think it's about due time Namco got a fighter in a Nintendo game in return.

You're not bringing me down to earth. I tend to look at everything from a very logical standpoint anyway. In my opinion, to say Pac-Man doesn't have much of a chance of being playable is not the logical standpoint right now. If this were Brawl, my opinion would be much different. I wanted him in Brawl, but I knew his chances were slim to none. Pac-Man is a gaming icon and I believe he deserves to be in Smash, but in the Brawl days you would have never seen me rating his chances as highly as I do now. My high viewpoint of his chances now is mostly due to Namco's inclusion on this title.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
wow, really? no counterpoint?

A true gentleman always accepts the facts, as long as they are solid enough. Therefore, one usually has proof backing up their personal hypothesis. Tell me, why are you so certain of this?
(Evil laugh)
You aren't really helping your case by assuming bias in my posts, the way I saw it, you were just grasping at straws about this whole PacMan argument. I for one find it rubbish that PacMan's chances were hurt by the Namco items already announced. Just last week I... Never mind, that's off topic.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
(Evil laugh)
You aren't really helping your case by assuming bias in my posts, the way I saw it, you were just grasping at straws about this whole PacMan argument. I for one find it rubbish that PacMan's chances were hurt by the Namco items already announced. Just last week I... Never mind, that's off topic.
I don't think he's assuming bias, I think he's correctly deducing that you made a claim without backing it up.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Simple.

Mewtwo's Special Moves:

B: Shadow Ball: Mewtwo creates a dark energy ball that shatters defenses and floats leisurely across the stage.
SB: Pystrike: Mewtwo claps and fire a beam of concentrated psychic energy.
DB: Confusion: Mewtwo can reject projectiles and daze close enemies.
UB: Teleport: A quick teleport.

Final Smash: Mega Mewtwo Y:
Mewtwo transforms into Mega Mewtwo Y, boosting his psychic attack power greatly and adds energy effects to all of his melee attacks.

In addition, his standard attacks are quicker and hit harder, but he's still floaty.

... As you can see, I've removed Disable for a much more useful Psystrike physical attack, and combined the effects of Disable and Confusion and turned them into one move.
Nice moveset for the most part, but personally I would like his SB to be your new Confusion and for his DB to be Future Sight which would work as a counter. Also, I would hope he has a hovering ability similar to Peach.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yes, but I don't believe what he said about the Namco items hurting PacMan's chances. That just sounds silly without HIM backing it up...
Well, while I don't necessarily agree with him, his claim is pretty straightforward. It's perfectly reasonable to think that maybe the Namco items were added in as a bit of thanks to Namco for helping them create the game, and perhaps that's all they'll get. We can't really prove or disprove the idea; it's up to interpretation and personal opinion. Some will say that it's an indication that Pac-Man will be in the game, due to being a Namco character, while others will say it's a point against him as it may be all we're getting, or perhaps Pac-Man himself will come out of that special flag. It's hard to say.

But the one thing we can't say for sure is that Pac-Man is in the game. Pac-Man can only be very likely, at best. We simply can't claim that he is absolutely in yet.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Regarding Pac Man, I'm not exactly a fan of him beyond nostalgia, and I can't even think about how he'd play.

However, just the thought of having such a recognizable icon in Smash makes me pretty giddy for some reason. I actually like Sonic and Mega Man but I feel like Pac Man would have a bigger impact, ultimately. Just think of a friend or relative watching you play and noticing Pac Man fighting Mario, it's a fun thought. I think it'll be progressive for the medium.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm pretty sure pacman is in the game.

As a Special Flag summon, no more, no less.

But I don't think that's required in this case. Snake got special treatment because Sakurai is friends with Kojima. As much as Sakurai said Namco won't get special treatment in terms of a character, I have to think he was just saying this to the press, as Namco is undoubtedly going to be getting special treatment for working on this game. At the time he said that, most people were already assuming Pac-Man was going to be a character.

As for Pac-Man having a history with Nintendo, I beg to differ. Pac-Man is Miyamoto's favorite game character. Heck, when deciding on the original Kirby's color for Kirby's Adventure for the NES, Sakurai wanted to make him pink, and Miyamoto wanted to make him yellow, in reference to Pac-Man. Miyamoto also created his own Pac-Man game for the GameCube: Pac-Man Versus, which was a featured title sold on the GameCube exclusively along with Pac-Man World 2. The game featured Mario commentating on the actions of Pac-Man and ghosts chasing each other in the stages. Later, Namco adopted this game and put it in the DS game Namco Museum DS.

Not only that, but Pac-Man has already appeared alongside Mario three times in Mario Kart Arcade GP, a game of which was also developed in part by Namco. And in two of those titles, Namco didn't just have Pac-Man, they also had Ms. Pac-Man and Blinky racing alongside Mario, Peach, Bowser, and the rest of the crew. That's more than Snake could ever claim to have, and yet he still got in.

Add to the fact that Namco also had Link costar in Soul Calibur 2, and I think it's about due time Namco got a fighter in a Nintendo game in return.

You're not bringing me down to earth. I tend to look at everything from a very logical standpoint. In my opinion, to say Pac-Man doesn't have much of a chance of being playable is not the logical standpoint right now. If this were Brawl, my opinion would be much different. Pac-Man is a gaming icon and I believe he deserves to be in Smash, but in the Brawl days you would have never seen me rating his chances as highly as I do now. My high viewpoint of his chances now is mostly due to Namco's inclusion on this title.
That information was much more fruitful, although I question why Pacman being Miyamoto's fav has to do with Sakurai's game.

all those other points are clear evidence. It's cool that Pacman was in a mario kart game for arcades. (I do wonder how well known or how high selling those games are.)

however, that doesn't change the fact I think the general public would recognize him better in his arcade version. Thus, the special flag item being included to celebrate Namco's arcade hits, like Dig Dug, Pacman and Galaga.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
all those other points are clear evidence. It's cool that Pacman was in a mario kart game for arcades. (I do wonder how well known or how high selling those games are.)
Having 3 sequels despite being a fairly new arcade series probably means it's huge, considering the scene is dead.

It's hard to find an arcade without a Mario Kart machine nowadays actually.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Having 3 sequels despite being a fairly new arcade series probably means it's huge, considering the scene is dead.

It's hard to find them in general though as arcades are almost non-existent here.

But not Japan...>:(

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

Really? my local arcade doesn't have one.

at least I think so....

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
That information was much more fruitful, although I question why Pacman being Miyamoto's fav has to do with Sakurai's game.
I'll agree, being Miyamoto's favorite really doesn't do much for his chances in Smash Bros., other than the possibility of Miyamoto coming in and whispering "do it, come on, do it. put pac-man in" in Sakurai's ear, which is comical to think about, but doubtful. :p

I think I mainly made the point to show that Pac-Man has a huge impact on the gaming industry and one of Nintendo's biggest, if not most important names. Because you asked why Pac-Man was important to Nintendo. The fact that Pac-Man almost indirectly influenced one of Nintendo's biggest characters and one of Sakurai's babies is somewhat relevant. :p

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Chrom is more likely to me, but Anna is the superior choice.
Well, of course Chrom is more likely. But then again, after all we've seen from this game so far, I'm not content to base my beliefs on the most obvious choice every time.

edit: I don't consider Ridley or King K Rool obvious anymore.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I do have to admit I like the idea of Anna more than Chrom. I like Chrom, he's just too visually similar to Marth. Anna at least stands out.

(and yes, I know visually similar doesn't necessarily mean "will play exactly the same," but I do like visual variety, and more female characters are always welcome)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom