• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You know, you haven't given any good reasons he can't be a playable character, just reasons you don't like him. It's kind of hard to agree to what you're saying with all the bias involved in it.
I just listed a good reason right there! The same point I've brought up multiple times, yet no one listens to me because reasons.

Don't call me the biased one. We're all biased. Some for Pacman, some against, but nobody is neutral.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Well, it helped Sonic.
Correction: Popularity helped sonic.

Let's face it, Pacman isn't as popular for smash as Sonic or even Megaman. (even if there are other reasons for 3rd party characters, like how Professor Layton is worked on by Nintendo)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
To thank the company that is helping him by doing HOURS upon HOURS of work for a project that has little to do with the company.
Well, they are getting paid. It's not like this is charity work.

Counterpoint! why would Sakurai go through all the hoops for the Galaga aliens, which are confirmed in the game, to be only an item?! It must not be nearly as hard as you are saying to obtain copyrights from a business partner, correct?

wow, really? no counterpoint?
Character+Galaga Aliens > Characters > Galaga Aliens

In negotiations, it's logical to assume that the agreement could be something along the lines of "Masahiro Sakurai has permission to add Pac-Man as a playable character and characters a, b, c, and d as summons in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS."

I'm saying I find it silly for Sakurai to jump through hoops to get an agreement that says "Masahiro Sakurai has permission to use characters a, b, c, and d as summons in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS."

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm saying I find it silly for Sakurai to jump through hoops to get an agreement that says "Masahiro Sakurai has permission to use characters a, b, c, and d as summons in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS."
why? Think about what happened with Tekken. it used nintendo costumes (and items..?), and they didn't get Captain Falcon or someone else as a character.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Let's face it, Pacman isn't as popular for smash as Sonic or even Megaman. (even if there are other reasons for 3rd party characters, like how Professor Layton is worked on by Nintendo)
Huh? Pac Man is definitely popular. He's pretty much the face of video games to those who aren't particularly dedicated to the medium.
Sonic wasn't wanted ONLY because Sega was co-developing the game (Sega didn't ever co-develop the game). He was highly requested (before Brawl was even conceived) and grossly prominent. The examples are not comparable by any stretch of the imagination.
I was half-serious. Sonic being an icon DID help him out, though.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Alright, let''a go through why Pac-Man deserves it, then.

Ever since the arcade days, Pac-Man has been alongside Nintendo machines. Ever see Class of 81 arcade machines? Donkey Kong is prominently featured among Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga, two games directly tied to Pac-Man (Galaga and Pac-Man go hand in hand).
Namco was also a supporter of the NES. Many Namco games were included on the NES, among them an arcade port of Pac-Man. Cut to many years later, when a Pac-Man game had appeared in nearly every Nintendo console created and still continues to do so (don't complain about quality or else I'll bring up Sonic :p).
Pac-Man appeared in a Mario Kart arcade game, and Pac-Man Vs for the GameCube was developed by none other than Shigeru Miyamoto.
And now Smash is being co-developed by Namco, which is essentially icing on the cake.

But he could very well get in anyway because he's freaking Pac-Man.
You know what? I get it. You win this argument. It makes sense now. This is the same logic that I believe got us Mega Man.

However, there are two other problems - Mega Man has a large library of moves, and was extremely requested for Smash Bros.

Pacman, while still a popular request, isn't nearly as requested and is known to do pretty much one thing.

Morbi

Scavenger
Huh? Pac Man is definitely popular. He's pretty much the face of video games to those who aren't particularly dedicated to the medium.

I was half-serious. Sonic being an icon DID help him out, though.
Of course it was a contributing factor, but the circumstances were entirely different.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
why? Think about what happened with Tekken. it used nintendo costumes (and items..?), and they didn't get Captain Falcon or someone else as a character.
Touche. However, adding a Nintendo character would've caused backlash since it would've been console-exclusive to a console that Tekken's fanbase wouldn't like as much. I do think that's something of note.

You know what? I get it. You win this argument. It makes sense now. This is the same logic that I believe got us Mega Man.

However, there are two other problems - Mega Man has a large library of moves, and was extremely requested for Smash Bros.

Pacman, while still a popular request, isn't nearly as requested and is known to do pretty much one thing.
Pac-Man is known most for doing pretty much one thing. However, that doesn't mean he's not also known for doing other things. Is Mario known for using FLUDD? No. Does he use it in Smash anyways? Yes.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

It's not always about the high amount of requests you know.

Morbi

Scavenger
Touche. However, adding a Nintendo character would've caused backlash since it would've been console-exclusive. I do think that's something of note.

Pac-Man is known most for doing pretty much one thing. However, that doesn't mean he's not also known for doing other things. Is Mario known for using FLUDD? No. Does he use it in Smash anyways? Yes.
What else is he known for doing? As a Pac-Man fan, would you care to elaborate?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
In the context of Smash Bros. Pacman is more iconic than every character in this game. But Mega Man was/is far more requested for Smash Bros.
The sooner we start differentiating "popular" from "popularly requested", the better. You're right.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
What else is he known for doing? As a Pac-Man fan, would you care to elaborate?
Exploring, punching baddies (those punching gloves he had weren't just for show), his signature butt-bounce and rev-roll, using other Namco items and interacting with other Namco universes (x), turning into a ball, throwing pellets, riding karts, etc.. He's done about as much stuff as Mario has, even if a lot of that stuff never became iconic to him.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Note: I said popular for smash
Touche. However, adding a Nintendo character would've caused backlash since it would've been console-exclusive to a console that Tekken's fanbase wouldn't like as much. I do think that's something of note.
Still. my point was more like that they used Nintendo IPs in Tekken for no MAJOR reason. that point still stands strong.

also it's a thunderstorm out so if I randomly leave for an hour my power went out.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Still. my point was more like that they used Nintendo IPs in Tekken for no MAJOR reason. that point still stands strong.
also it's a thunderstorm out so if I randomly leave for an hour my power went out.
That's actually a really good counterpoint, considering it is the same companies. I guess the main difference is that getting a character in Tekken isn't as big a deal about getting a character in Smash Bros..

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That's actually a really good counterpoint, considering it is the same companies. I guess the main difference is that getting a character in Tekken isn't as big a deal about getting a character in Smash Bros..
But, at the same time, getting a character in Smash Bros. in general, especially a third-party, is extremely difficult for everyone involved.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
But, at the same time, getting a character in Smash Bros. in general, especially a third-party, is extremely difficult for everyone involved.
And, at the same time, it's far less difficult when the two companies are already in contact with one another for the making of the game.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Exploring, punching baddies (those punching gloves he had weren't just for show), his signature butt-bounce and rev-roll, using other Namco items and interacting with other Namco universes (x), turning into a ball, throwing pellets, riding karts, etc.. He's done about as much stuff as Mario has, even if a lot of that stuff never became iconic to him.
I think Pacman should get sued by sonic for his rev roll. (also he's not "well known" for doing this at all. I didn't even know he did a lot of these things before coming to smashboards a year and a half ago.)

also WHAT?
using other Namco items and interacting with other Namco universes
WHY IS THIS HERE?

well fine, I guess Professor Layton is well known for battling Phoenix Wright in court, or Megaman being well known for interacting in street fighter.

sorry, I just thought that point was a bit silly.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Pac-Man might be more popular than Sonic and possibly even Mario. Almost everyone, even non-gamers know Pac-Man(at least through my experience). However, in terms of requests, Pac-Man isn't as popular as other third party choices. Also, popularity doesn't determine how much people like Pac-Man.

Morbi

Scavenger
Pac-Man might be more popular than Sonic and possibly even Mario. Almost everyone, even non-gamers know Pac-Man(at least through my experience). However, in terms of requests, Pac-Man isn't as popular as other third party choices. Also, popularity doesn't determine how much people like Pac-Man.
I honestly feel as though some people feel obligated to support Pac-Man solely based on his prominence. It is hard to determine who actually WANTS him as opposed to who finds him likely.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think Pacman should get sued by sonic for his rev roll. (also he's not "well known" for doing this at all. I didn't even know he did a lot of these things before coming to smashboards a year and a half ago.)
Again, take the FLUDD example. That's what I'm trying to get at. He may not be well known for doing those things (I'm just saying those are his more common abilities), they can still be used very easily to make a moveset.

also WHAT?

WHY IS THIS HERE?

well fine, I guess Professor Layton is well known for battling Phoenix Wright in court, or Megaman being well known for interacting in street fighter.
Because it happens so frequently. Those are all non-crossover games.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I honestly feel as though some people feel obligated to support Pac-Man solely based on his prominence. It is hard to determine who actually WANTS him as opposed to who finds him likely.
I'm not a huge Pac-Man fan or supporter, but I would very much like to see him in.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I wouldnt say packman is really "popular", yes he is famous, the most iconic face in the industry, but that doesnt mean he is close to other franchises in popularity.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Kenith Kenith
You said that nobody is neutral in the Pac-Man debate, but that's where I fall.
Pac-Man would be cool, but he's not a game making character for me, just someone I would enjoy having in Smash.
I genuinely think that Pac-Man is a deserving character, and although he has some limited potential that has never posed a problem for Sakurai in the past.
The idea doesn't necessarily thrill me, but I'm excited to see what Sakurai can do with the character given Sonic's classic moveset rather than random elements from new games (wisps, for example).
And if we do get Pac-Man, I feel like you'll be happy with the end result too.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm not a huge Pac-Man fan or supporter, but I would very much like to see him in.
Same; I do not enjoy his character, I do not think he offers anything unique, but I would love to see him. It would just be amazing to play as such an iconic character. It is so easy to be discontent when he is merely a possibility, but looking forward, it would be a privilege for Smash 4 to contain Pac-Man. I mean, I felt as though Sonic was a rushed character that didn't offer much, so this would be nothing different (aside from the notion that he wouldn't be rushed).

I do not support him, but my better judgement wants him in the game for everyone else. There is that altruism that I never express.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
For the record, I like Pacman. Especially his classic design, not this newfangled nonsense that is the Ghostly Adventures.
I'm not arguing against him because I don't like him.

Miis on the other hand...

Morbi

Scavenger
My new prediction roster. 52 characters.

Every character from the Sal Romano leak, but yet no Chorus Men? I didn't realize that people actually wanted Pac-Man, Mii, and Chrom (in addition to Villager and Wii Fit Trainer already on the roster) in the same roster. That is just begging for some of the most generic characters of all time.

Other than that, this is one of the safest rosters I have ever seen. The only strange thing is Krystal. I don't even know who you could replace her with that is more "safe" as you have everyone on your roster. So keep for the spice!

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Every character from the Sal Romano leak, but yet no Chorus Men? I didn't realize that people actually wanted Pac-Man, Mii, and Chrom (in addition to Villager and Wii Fit Trainer already on the roster) in the same roster. That is just begging for some of the most generic characters of all time.

Other than that, this is one of the safest rosters I have ever seen. The only strange thing is Krystal. I don't even know who you could replace her with that is more "safe" as you have everyone on your roster. So keep for the spice!
i would mainly think they would want the mii bcause you get to play as you or reggie either way im surprised reggie aint on their

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I don't think I posted this here yet.

Added Snake this time, eat your heart out.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
so what you are saying that, it's about the equivalent of... mario cameos in zelda?
Kinda, but not really. Most of the time these things are very interactable. Pooka is one of the characters you need to save in Pac-Man World, King Galaxian is a boss, Galaxians are a major collectable item in the Pac-Man World series that transports you to a maze, Pookas are enemies in the Volcano level of Pac-Man World 2, and so on and so forth.

I don't think I posted this here yet.

Added Snake this time, eat your heart out.
I must ask; is this a prediction or wishlist roster?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
For the record, I like Pacman. Especially his classic design, not this newfangled nonsense that is the Ghostly Adventures.
I'm not arguing against him because I don't like him.

Miis on the other hand...
That's what I'm saying,
If Pac-Man were to get into Smash Bros, he would probably have arms and legs, but Sakurai is great at keeping characters close to their roots. A great example of this is actually Little Mac. His design is based off of Punch Out Wii, but Sakurai opted for the KO Meter rather than the also classic Star Uppercut. We also have a Wife Frame Mac alternate costume. If Sakurai cares enough to look back to the arcade iteration of Punch Out, I'm positive that he would make Pac-Man reminiscent of the game we all know and love him from. Does this mean a lot of eating? Yes, probably. But Sonic's got a lot of spinning going on. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom