• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Please no, not more Fire Emblem discussion, here's more Pac-Man. I'm always late to a discussion.

As I've said before, I believe Sal Romano's leak to be false, however, I still believe Pac-Man will be in. The very first thing my mind jumped to when I first learned that Namco was co-developing Smash was "Pac-Man," and it was a logical conclusion at the time to think he had a shot. However, I'm absolutely certain after seeing the Namco inspired items, though others seem to think this somehow hurts his chances, it's actually the opposite. No matter how small the reference is, even if it were some obscure game no one has ever heard of, Sakurai/Nintendo has to pay the owner of said intellectual property a certain sum in order to have it appear in-game. It would be counter-intuitive in a game such as Smash to simply pay for the rights to use just a few Namco items and not go for the full package deal, imagine if you will, if say Simon Belmont's whip appeared as an item with no signs of Snake. Why would they pay Konami for something so simple only to not have Snake there?

In regards to some people thinking he would have a bland, generic moveset, I would hope said persons were not Little Mac supporters before...
Even without the Pac to Mac comparison, it's a bit ignorant to dismiss Pac on such a notion without having knowledge of the entire franchise.
[collapse=]
[/collapse]
This is just my own idea for a Pac-Man moveset, but it is still a general idea of how he could play. I certainly don't think this is boring, and Sakurai would surely come up with something far better than this unless he pulls a FLUDD. This is only a fraction of what Pac-Man has the capability to pull from for a moveset.

Speaking of Mario Kart Arcade, I actually got the chance to play it recently. I either suck at Mario Kart or it's harder than regular Mario Kart, I'm thinking it's the latter as arcade games are generally designed to be harder to keep you putting quarters into them. Pac really melded well with Mario and the general aesthetics.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Anna is seen as the mascot (and Nurse Joy, apparently) of the series, and has some variety compared to previous FE fighters, so yeah, I'd like her (in her awakening appearance.)

----

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm not a fan'a Anna, honestly. She was...eh. Just my opinion, of course.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I want Robin personally.

Chrom's neat though, as long as we get Ike.:ike:

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Mario Kart Arcade, I actually got the chance to play it recently. I either suck at Mario Kart or it's harder than regular Mario Kart, I'm thinking it's the latter as arcade games are generally designed to be harder to keep you putting quarters into them. Pac really melded well with Mario and the general aesthetics.
I don't think Mario Kart Arcade GP is that hard although...it kind of sucks that you have to put in more coins to continue the GP, even after you win 1st place which in most arcade racing games nets you a free race.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Why do you have to do that? It's not like anyone is fired up or anything, now you're just forcefully changing the subject.
How I would love to post the "Joke < Your Head" GIF. You know, the whole running gag about Fire Emblem discussion we have around here.
I'm not a fan'a Anna, honestly. She was...eh. Just my opinion, of course.
Clearly Nowi or Tharja are the best choices. And now to the FED bomb shelter.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
In regards to some people thinking he would have a bland, generic moveset, I would hope said persons were not Little Mac supporters before...
Anyone who thought Mac would be generic doesn't know anything about boxing. Boxing is really diverse and translates well into fighting games. Street Fighter has TWO boxers that couldn't be any more different.

Pac Man? I'm just not seeing it.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The problem is that Anna is just outclassed by too many characters *coughChromandRobincough*. I can't see her being chosen over her competition.
Well, you never know. Apparently Bowser Jr was somehow more popular than Rosalina. Other characters were also more popular, which is believable. :rosalina:

Of course Fire Emblem is a whole different ballgame, but Roy did get in because "teh f1r3" was more "unique" for a clone, so...
Anyone who thought Mac would be generic doesn't know anything about boxing. Boxing is really diverse and translates well into fighting games. Street Fighter has TWO boxers that couldn't be any more different.

Pac Man? I'm just not seeing it.
"I know a lot about *insert subject* henceforth it is awesome and unique."
"I dislike/don't know about/don't care about *insert subject* so I don't think it could work"

Proving the point eh? Ignorance about boxing led to people calling Mac bland, bit hypocritical to defend him then call Pac-Man bland isn't it?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Well, you never know. Apparently Bowser Jr was somehow more popular than Rosalina. Other characters were also more popular, which is believable. :rosalina:

Of course Fire Emblem is a whole different ballgame, but Roy did get in because "teh f1r3" was more "unique" for a clone, so...

"I dislike/don't know about/don't care about *insert subject* so I don't think it could work"

Proving the point eh? Ignorance about boxing led to people calling Mac bland, bit hypocritical to defend him then call Pac-Man bland isn't it?
I don't necessarily find it hypocritical as Little Mac had an entire "fighting style" to draw inspiration from whereas Pac-Man does not, but I am biased as I found Little Mac to be an exciting character and Pac-Man to be a more generic one.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

No, they're completely different. Little Mac represents a widely established diverse fighting style, whereas Pac's frankly limited repertoire doesn't offer anything that hasn't been done already. Even Namco had to think of something completely weird for him in Street Fighter x Tekken, being a mech-controlling fighter, despite Mega Man being similar to his MvC moveset.

Nice of you to assume I don't know anything about Pac Man, though.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't necessarily find it hypocritical as Little Mac had an entire "fighting style" to draw inspiration from whereas Pac-Man does not, but I am biased as I found Little Mac to be an exciting character and Pac-Man to be a more generic one.
It is hypocritical. Little Mac supporters would fight tooth and nail to disprove people who call Mac bland, yet they would turn around and call Pac bland without second thought. This is exactly what makes it hypocritical, people who called Mac bland didn't know anything besides "he punches," and people who call Pac bland don't know anything besides "he eats ghosts in a maze." As was stated before, Pac-Man has a plethora of things to pull from for a moveset, far more than Little Mac.

I'm of the opposite stance, as I'm excited for Pac-Man and I still find Little Mac boring. However, I never once said that he would have a bland moveset, as I actually did research into what Mac would be capable of. I still don't like him though, he's an out of place boxer in a game full of interesting characters, it's as weird to me as say, a hockey player from some obscure NES hockey game getting in. I do think he looks interesting from a gameplay perspective and I want to try him out though.
No, they're completely different. Little Mac represents a widely established diverse fighting style, whereas Pac's frankly limited repertoire doesn't offer anything that hasn't been done already. Even Namco had to think of something completely weird for him in Street Fighter x Tekken, being a mech-controlling fighter, despite Mega Man being similar to his MvC moveset.

Nice of you to assume I don't know anything about Pac Man, though.
I don't really need to assume that you don't know anything, as the bold statement spells it out perfectly.

If you knew about Pac-Man, as you say you do, you wouldn't be calling him bland or boring. He has an entire library of games to pull interesting moves from, unless we're going to just ignore everything that isn't the original Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
It is hypocritical. Little Mac supporters would fight tooth and nail to disprove people who call Mac bland, yet they would turn around and call Pac bland without second thought. This is exactly what makes it hypocritical, people who called Mac bland didn't know anything besides "he punches," and people who call Pac bland don't know anything besides "he eats ghosts in a maze." As was stated before, Pac-Man has a plethora of things to pull from for a moveset, far more than Little Mac.

I'm of the opposite stance, as I'm excited for Pac-Man and I still find Little Mac boring. However, I never once said that he would have a bland moveset, as I actually did research into what Mac would be capable of. I still don't like him though, he's an out of place boxer in a game full of interesting characters, it's as weird to me as say, a hockey player from some obscure NES hockey game getting in. I do think he looks interesting from a gameplay perspective and I want to try him out though,
They aren't comparable characters in the first place, the entire premise is subjective. I do not interpret Pac-Man as having a "plethora of things to pull from for a moveset." I didn't necessarily believe Little Mac did either, I just found him exciting. The move-set potential was far more tangible.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I don't really need to assume that you don't know anything, as the bold statement spells it out perfectly.

If you knew about Pac-Man, as you say you do, you wouldn't be calling him bland or boring. He has an entire library of games to pull interesting moves from, unless we're going to just ignore everything that isn't the original Pac-Man.
OK.

According to you have I have never played Pac Man World, the arcade games, Pac Man party or even watched the latest cartoon because I don't think he has moveset potential. Gotcha.

I dislike this "holier than thou" ****.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
They aren't comparable characters in the first place, the entire premise is subjective. I do not interpret Pac-Man as having a "plethora of things to pull from for a moveset." I didn't necessarily believe Little Mac did either, I just found him exciting. The move-set potential was far more tangible.
For your case, no, it's not very hypocritical, you just like one character and don't care for the other.

For the avid Mac supporters however, they put effort into giving reasons as to why Mac would be interesting, and would call out a person who called him bland. So it would be very hypocritical of them to call Pac-Man bland, as they are doing the exact same thing as the very people who they would call out for Mac.
Solid Snake. You like Solid Snake.
How......?
You're a funny one mate.
OK.

According to you have I have never played Pac Man World, the arcade games, Pac Man party or even watched the latest cartoon because I don't think he has moveset potential. Gotcha.
So what you're saying is, you do care about Pac-Man, yet you still find him bland? That's strange. Or is it because his bite has already been done by Wario, his roll by Sonic/Yoshi/Jiggs, eating things by Kirby/Dedede, etc. I guess that makes Mac bland because over half the roster have at least a single punching move.

Morbi

Scavenger
For your case, no, it's not very hypocritical, you just like one character and don't care for the other.

For the avid Mac supporters however, they put effort into giving reasons as to why Mac would be interesting, and would call out a person who called him bland. So it would be very hypocritical of them to call Pac-Man bland, as they are doing the exact same thing as the very people who they would call out for Mac.

You're a funny one mate.

So what you're saying is, you do care about Pac-Man, yet you still find him bland? That's strange. Or is it because his bite has already been done by Wario, his roll by Sonic/Yoshi/Jiggs, eating things by Kirby/Dedede, etc. I guess that makes Mac bland because over half the roster have at least a single punching move.
I suppose that is the case, I have never asserted that Little Mac would be interesting or unique. In fact, I embraced the notion that he would be a bare-bones fighting game character. But yeah, it does come down to character loyalty to an extent.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Stop the straw man argument. And the needless comparisons and assumptions. It is very possible for me to like a character and still think they're bland. Same reason why I think a Wario Land Wario would be bland next to Warioware despite WL being my favorite franchise.

I don't have time for this "holier than thou" attitude.
Is the Pellet Slingshot actually from a Pacman game? If so, that's hilarious.
Pac Man 2

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
One more thing to add in regards to Anna:

A quick moveset:

Specials Moves:

Standard Special: Levin Sword: Anna uses her sword to cause a lightning strike directly in front of her. Chargeable.

Side Special: Acrobat: Anna does a spinning jump that allows her to avoid projectiles and traps.

Up Special: Rescue: Anna uses the Rescue staff to warp in the specified direction.

Down Special: Despoil: Anna performs a counter that automatically captures enemy items and projectiles.

Final Smash: Family Reunion: I'm sure you can guess what this is :)

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
You would have to be dreaming for five 3rd party characters. Still, why Rhythm Girl? Does she offer something that "you know who" doesn't offer?
Rhythm Girl= Marshal, since my roster maker does not have it. :)
Snake: I like. Kept ya waiting, huh?
Pac Man: Almost In.
Bayonetta: She's freaking cool.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Stop the straw man argument. And the needless comparisons and assumptions. It is very possible for me to like a character and still think they're bland. Same reason why I think a Wario Land Wario next to Warioware would be bland despite WL being my favorite franchise.

I don't have time for this "holier than thou" attitude.

Pac Man 2
I have no such attitude, nor am I using straw man arguments. I'm simply making an observation, as you say you like both characters, who both had the problem of being called bland by the general community, yet you say one is interesting while the other isn't. I'm curious as to how you came to such a conclusion.

If I'm making "needless comparisons," would you not be doing the same with WarioWare/Land? I apologize if this comes off as "holier than thou."
Personally, I think Wario Land Wario would be far more interesting than the randomness of WarioWare Wario, I haven't played either franchise so I have no bias in regards to that. I'd really just like to know what exactly entails a "bland" or "generic" moveset, what makes one more interesting than another?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Uh, SFxT Mega Man's moveset was VERY similar to MvC Mega Man...
About as similar as Lucario and Mewtwo imo.

There are some similarities, but the difference far outweigh them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom