• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So I see people discussing irrelevant characters...

Newsflash, Sakurai isn't going to put in your favorite irrelevant characters. Since Super Smash Bros. is about the latest development (and not importance, which is why Captain Falcon was cut from this game; he hasn't had a game in a decade), everyone is obviously going to be in because of relevancy. Sakurai doesn't care about fans, they can't make up their mind. Uniqueness doesn't matter, which obviously explains why Lucario replaced Mewtwo with a cloned move set and why Mewtwo was never heard of again (especially not in X & Y? You mean they'd give him two Mega Evolutions? Pfft). Who cares about King K. Rool and his past games a a villain, he's done for. This explains why Chrom, Mii, and Pac-Man were confirmed at E3 2013 and why Mega Man was shut down by Sakurai; he isn't relevant enough.

...oh you want a humanoid robotic character? Look no further than Astro Boy:

Introducing Astro Boy, who starts in a brand spankin' new anime called Little Astro Boy that has aired just this year. It has been a hit in Nigeria and is translating all over the world because everyone (for now) loves Astro Boy. Because of this outstanding hit the anime has been, Tezuka Production has been looking into including Astro Boy into the next Super Smash Bros. After putting up a great case about how relevant Astro Boy has been, Sakurai eventually decided to put Astro Boy in as a late addition because we must have more recent reps. This means that Wolf and Isaac are getting the boot since they are too low of a priority to add due to being irrelevant. Remember, we are running out of worthwhile Nintendo, so obvious, Sakurai has to look at third-parties (and yes Astro Boy is third-party, deal with it).

Then at E3 2014, Sceptile, Chorus Men were confirmed. Despite people complaining about how RIdley was a stage hazard, King K. Rool was a boss, and Mewtwo was a Pokeball, Sakurai mentioned that he had a special surprise for everyone. It is then that Astro Boy was revealed to make his debut as a playable character. Everyone then roared across the screen in tears because they hated the idea of Astro Boy being playable. But with an amazingly unique move set, Astro Boy proves that he was relevant enough to get in, non-video game status be damned.

Remember folks, you may not have Mewtwo, Mega Man, King K. Rool, or Ridley as playable, but Sakurai always knows how to make characters you don't know you want.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Was responding to False Sense but...

SSBF.

If this is the start of another trolling spree by a certain group, then I will take immediate action.

I better not see another post like that.

Even if this is a one post thing, this isn't the place for it.

Same goes for everyone else...

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

SSBF.

If this is the start of another trolling spree by a certain group, then I will take immediate action.

Even if this is a one post thing.

This isn't the place for it.

So, moderator duties aside, what was it you wanted to say to me?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, moderator duties aside, what was it you wanted to say to me?
Ah! Of course.

Entertain the possibility? Of course, it's certainly possible. But assuming that it is the case when nothing in this game would indicate so is, I believe, illogical.
I was gonna make a big post about a theory I have, but I have nothing concrete to back it up.

Unless one counts the Sal leak concrete as I do.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Ah! Of course.

I was gonna make a big post about a theory I have, but I have nothing concrete to back it up.

Unless one counts the Sal leak concrete as I do.
Yeah... Maybe I have a different philosophy about leaks than most others, but... Well, I guess instead of viewing the Miis chances as "well, in game evidence seems to be going against them, but a possibly legit leak said they'd be in, so they're probably in anyway," I view it as "well, a possibly legit leak said this character would be in, but in game evidence would suggest that this character will not be playable, so I'm guessing the leak is fake."

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah... Maybe I have a different philosophy about leaks than most others, but... Well, I guess instead of viewing the Miis chances as "well, in game evidence seems to be going against them, but a possibly legit leak said they'd be in, so they're probably in anyway," I view it as "well, a possibly legit leak said this character would be in, but in game evidence would suggest that this character will not be playable, so I'm guessing the leak is fake."
I understand. I guess we just agree to disagree.

Miis just make too much sense to me regardless. :p

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I understand. I guess we just agree to disagree.

Miis just make too much sense to me regardless. :p
They make a lot of sense to me as well. I advocated for the Miis inclusion prior to the Direct. It's just that the things we saw in the Direct, I believe, were pointing against their inclusion, and yet so many people brushed it all away and continued treating Miis like some terrible inevitability. It kind of hurts arguing against them now, but I'm just going by what I believe is logical.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I used to think that the Find Mii icon was evidence against Miis, but I decided against it.
I find one of two situations to be the case.
1. Miis do not represent any series in particular, and there are stages based on games that Miis are in but none of them are "Mii" stages.
2. Mii represents Tomadachi Life, which is why we haven't seen the stage in the Direct.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Well there is this. I'm sure its been brought up before.

Mii in cage.

http://smashbros-miiverse.com/images/daily/daily-2014-04-14-44.jpg

Mii not in cage.

http://smashbros-miiverse.com/images/daily/daily-2013-12-03.jpg

Could be an Alfonzo thing and more Sakurai teasing. I personally don't like Mii's but I could see it happening even though I don't want to....

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think Miis make sense. What would their attacks be, and would it be one mii or would it be you?
They have tons of possibilities for attacks. Look at any of their games. I could make one based on one game alone. And they have like thirty.

And I'd assume it would be your main Mii.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I used to think that the Find Mii icon was evidence against Miis, but I decided against it.
I find one of two situations to be the case.
1. Miis do not represent any series in particular, and there are stages based on games that Miis are in but none of them are "Mii" stages.
2. Mii represents Tomadachi Life, which is why we haven't seen the stage in the Direct.
...Aren't those two points going against each other? I mean, in the first one you say that Miis don't represent any series in particular, but then in the second one you say Miis represent Tomodachi Life.

Also, I would think that Find Mii is the closest thing we have to a "Mii" game, but that's just me, apparently.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't think Miis make sense. What would their attacks be, and would it be one mii or would it be you?
You would be fighting as yourself.
Look at all of the material Mii has at it's disposal.
Wii Sports, Pilotwings, Wii Play, Wii Party, Streetpass, even Mario Kart.
There's a lot that Miis can do. Heck, they could even be a customizable character.

These characters you say that don't makes sense: Ridley, Miis...
At first glance they may seem like an impossibility or a bore, but you need to have creativity and make it work.
And if one guy's got it, it's Mashahiro Sakurai.
...Aren't those two points going against each other? I mean, in the first one you say that Miis don't represent any series in particular, but then in the second one you say Miis represent Tomodachi Life.

Also, I would think that Find Mii is the closest thing we have to a "Mii" game, but that's just me, apparently.
No, I said it could be one of two points, not both.
I think that those two scenarios are equally likely, but only one will occur.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Though I dislike the idea of Miis being playable personally (for a while I did kind of like the idea of them being playable in Smash, but I've long since changed my mind) I've always seen some potential in them based on the wide variety of games they have.

I think the most likely case is that they'll simply be represented as player avatars in this game, but I won't be counting them out just yet.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ridley is already confirmed to be a stage hazard though isn't he
Maybe?

Ridley regardless of role is being treated as special for some reason.

It could mean anything....

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Ridley is already confirmed to be a stage hazard though isn't he
He's not confirmed, but he was hinted as one.
Although I've found that Ridley's shadow is pretty small for a boss (only about Rosalina's height) and his shadow moves like a playable character (flies in, stops, flies forward). So I feel like it could be classic Sakurai trickery.
But of course I understand why people would think that.

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice

Mii in cage.

Mii not in cage.

Could be an Alfonzo thing and more Sakurai teasing. I personally don't like Mii's but I could see it happening even though I don't want to....
I don't think it's an Alfonzo thing. Miis are so generic that it could simply be a randomly generated mii that you see in the background of the stage.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Mii in cage.

Mii not in cage.

Considering we don't know how the stage works, it's very possible that the Mii could be freed from the cage at some point. Another explanation could be that, since the one picture we saw of the Find Mii stage (without the Mii) was long before the Direct, maybe the Mii wasn't implemented into the cage yet. It seems unlikely they would show off an incomplete stage, but it's possible, I suppose.

No, I said it could be one of two points, not both.
I think that those two scenarios are equally likely, but only one will occur.
Oh. Sorry about that. In that case, I would probably say the second one isn't very likely. If the Miis can't represent Find Mii, then I find the idea of them representing Tomodachi Life to be rather odd.

My guess is it's either the first one, or Miis aren't playable. At this point, the second one makes more sense, I think.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
He's not confirmed, but he was hinted as one.
Although I've found that Ridley's shadow is pretty small for a boss (only about Rosalina's height) and his shadow moves like a playable character (flies in, stops, flies forward). So I feel like it could be classic Sakurai trickery.
But of course I understand why people would think that.
Uh, it's a shadow. You cannot accurately determine the size of the object from its shadow without considering the source of light. where it's coming from and the background on which the shadow is cast. It's all perspective.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Uh, it's a shadow. You cannot accurately determine the size of the object from its shadow when you have to consider the source of light. where it's coming from and the background on which the shadow is cast. It's all perspective.
Alright, sure.
He moves like a playable character. Happy?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We should get Blaziken as a Hoenn rep. With speed boost
After Mewtwo and Jiggs?

I'd be game.

Uh, it's a shadow. You cannot accurately determine the size of the object from its shadow without considering the source of light. where it's coming from and the background on which the shadow is cast. It's all perspective.
All of my love goes out to you.

You said what I've been saying for quite some time now.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Every last aspect of the stage, the shadow and it's movement can be analyzed extremely carefully and in depth. IMO, I don't think it will help indicate that Ridley is more likely playable than not.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
If Miis are playable, I think their attacks should be based on nintendo controllers, handhelds, and peripherals, in order to make them represent the actual player.

D

Deleted member

SSBF.

Even if this is a one post thing, this isn't the place for it.

My post had nothing to do with trolling.

The purpose of my post was to show how much crap the recency argument was and that a character having recent appearance shouldn't necessarily warrant an inclusion. I fail to see how my post was a problem.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Not sure if you haven't seen Smashoperatingbuddy123 posts on Ridley's shadow but yes we can accurately say he is around Rosalina's size. All his size comparison's are of characters on Pyrosphere in practically the same spot as Ridley. Shadows don't get that much bigger/smaller then the actual characters.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Not sure if you haven't seen Smashoperatingbuddy123 posts on Ridley's shadow but yes we can accurately say he is around Rosalina's size. All his size comparison's are of characters on Pyrosphere in practically the same spot as Ridley. Shadows don't get that much bigger/smaller then the actual characters.
Can I see that comparison?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well thats not like speed boost in pokemon.
Mega Evolution doesn't work like it does in Pokemon.

Heck very few things work like they do in their original games.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Every last aspect of the stage, the shadow and it's movement can be analyzed extremely carefully and in depth. IMO, I don't think it will help indicate that Ridley is more likely playable than not.
I disagree. From the bit of his tail that we saw, we can deduce that it is definitely Other M Ridley. Something we, as the fan base, overlooked, was that Other M and standard Ridley are two different entities altogether. Remembering that, we have to wonder why Sakurai is being such a prick in showing off Other M Ridley as a stage boss. Personally, I believe it's because standard Ridley is a playable character. I can't prove it, but I don't see why else he'd be so secretive about Ridley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom