• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Ridley is part of Zero Suit Samus's final smash. Technically he's playable because Samus jumps off the screen, "hiding" from Ridley's wrath and the player controls Ridley for a bit. I received this information from my best friend's cousin that knows a guy that knows a girl who knows a janitor at Nintendo.
That my friends, is Ridley's fate.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Well with Zero Suit Samus as her own slot, we all know who is really under regular ol' Samus's armor.

If you use Samus's final smash 77 times, the suit falls off and Ridley is revealed and unlocked.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well I said it multiple times but ridley's fate has to be revealed on E3 because no matter what was the purpose (which I think leads to his playability), it wouldn't make sense to not tell it after E3 or release. It will also not make sense to reveal it before because Sakurai wouldn't be so ambiguous (again I can prove only by facts that you can't tell his fate only after the pots quote and direct). But since Sakurai is likely aware of his popularity (he did for megaman, little mac and even villager by saying "at last, the long awaited villager" in the dev direct), and that Nintendo has already started the E3 hype, it will be too late to reveal it as hazard now because you do not want to bring disappointment ESPECIALLY when you tell to your consumer that you should be excited for June 10. IMO, if he was an hazard, Sakurai would have revealed it 1 or 2 weeks after the direct but now, he waited too much and the E3 hype already started so it is too late.

That's why I think he will be playable at E3 but remember: my interpretation, my opinion.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Well I said it multiple times but ridley's fate has to be revealed on E3 because no matter what was the purpose (which leads to his playability), it wouldn't make sense to not tell it after E3 or release. It will also not make sense to reveal it before because Sakurai wouldn't be so ambiguous (again I can prove only by facts that you can't tell his fate only after the pots quote and direct). But since Sakurai is likely aware of his popularity (he did for megaman, little mac and even villager by saying "at last, the long awaited villager" in the dev direct), and that Nintendo has already started the E3 hype, it will be too late to reveal it as hazard now because you do not want to bring disappointment ESPECIALLY when you tell to your consumer that you should be excited for June 10. IMO, if he was an hazard, Sakurai would have revealed it 1 or 2 weeks after the direct but now, he waited too much and the E3 hype already started so it is too late.

That's why I think he will be playable at E3 but remember: my interpretation, my opinion.
Good analysis.

I also think that Ridley not appearing as a playable character would be an even larger blunder with Sakurai's frenzy of teases.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Well I said it multiple times but ridley's fate has to be revealed on E3 because no matter what was the purpose (which I think leads to his playability), it wouldn't make sense to not tell it after E3 or release. It will also not make sense to reveal it before because Sakurai wouldn't be so ambiguous (again I can prove only by facts that you can't tell his fate only after the pots quote and direct). But since Sakurai is likely aware of his popularity (he did for megaman, little mac and even villager by saying "at last, the long awaited villager" in the dev direct), and that Nintendo has already started the E3 hype, it will be too late to reveal it as hazard now because you do not want to bring disappointment ESPECIALLY when you tell to your consumer that you should be excited for June 10. IMO, if he was an hazard, Sakurai would have revealed it 1 or 2 weeks after the direct but now, he waited too much and the E3 hype already started so it is too late.

I'm sorry but I don't see how it would be "too late" to show him as a hazard when it's all but confirmed he'll be a boss on Pyrosphere.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
...... He showed his F**ing silhouette while talking about bosses. Anyone who honestly thinks he still has a chance must be on something/

No offense, but he's not getting in, especially with Samus/Zamus now taking 2 SEPERATE spots.
That changes nothing about Ridley's chances considering Sakurai always considered them separate characters, even in Brawl.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
...... He showed his F**ing silhouette while talking about bosses. Anyone who honestly thinks he still has a chance must be on something/

No offense, but he's not getting in, especially with Samus/Zamus now taking 2 SEPERATE spots.
And what is the purpose of a silhouette? To hide something....

I think its obvious he will be playable.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

A silhouette is the character's shadow. It's quite obviously Ridley's silhouette. He was talking about BOSSES.

As I recall;
Sakurai Translator: "Bosses appear on other stages too."
Ridley's silhouette immediately after that comment seen on Pyrosphere. We have reason to believe that he is referring to Ridley, as I believe the Dark Emperor was shown RIGHT afterword. Also, perhaps Ridleyy's BOSS model isn't finished yet, so they just showed his silhouette.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Meanwhile while everyone is denying Ridley obviously being a boss on Pyrosphere, I'm anticipating Shulk to be revealed at E3. Shulk being revealed at E3 would be perfect timing considering the factors of the up coming X going to get exposure again, and more importantly the game Xenoblade Chronicles was first released on June 10th, coincidentally the same day E3 starts.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

It wouldn't be obvious per say to being playable though, it could mean playable boss or just him being a stage hazard.

Meanwhile while everyone is denying Ridley obviously being a boss on Pyrosphere, I'm anticipating Shulk to be revealed at E3. Shulk being revealed at E3 would be perfect timing considering the factors of the up coming X going to get exposure again, and more importantly the game Xenoblade Chronicles was first released on June 10th, coincidentally the same day E3 starts.
Watch as Sakurai doesn't. :troll:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Shulk would be a great character to use for E3. I feel like Palutena could get revealed two, along with Pac-Man and the Mii's (*shudders). But I agree. Shulk would be a great character to reveal.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
What if he ends up being a secret character not shown pre-release?

Last edited:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
My hopes and dreams for E3 is that Sakurai addresses: Mewtwo, the StarFox characters, Lucas, Ike and of course Ridley so I won't have to feel like I'm wasting my time whenever I come on this thread...

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
As I said yesterday, I think the fact that Sakurai was being rather secretive about Ridley (showing him as a shadow, not mentioning him by name etc) is mainly what's keeping him in the running, at least for now.

But you can't just set aside the fact that he was talking about bosses when Ridley's shadow was shown, saying they will appear in stages others than Willy's Castle.

If that isn't a tremendous blow to Ridley's chances (at the very least) then I don't know what is.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As I said yesterday, I think the fact that Sakurai was being rather secretive about Ridley (showing him as a shadow, not mentioning him by name etc) is mainly what's keeping him in the running, at least for now.

But you can't just set aside the fact that he was talking about bosses when Ridley's shadow was shown, saying they will appear in stages others than Willy's Castle.

If that isn't a tremendous blow to Ridley's chances (at the very least) then I don't know what is.
This. Showing him or even hinting at him in the section of the direct that was about Boss fight characters on stages certainly lends itself to the idea that he's not playable, but a boss.

Sakurai could just as easily think, "Man, those fans will be so excited when Ridley ends up as a boss on Pyrosphere!" Don't think that can't happen. It easily can be the case. You can still hold hope, because I'm sure anybody would for their favorite character. But I would certainly adjust expectations regarding the Direct. That's just my two cents.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, I don't see how people think this increases his chances that he hasn't been shown.
Especially in the Ridley Thread where there is obviously bias.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This. Showing him or even hinting at him in the section of the direct that was about Boss fight characters on stages certainly lends itself to the idea that he's not playable, but a boss.

Sakurai could just as easily think, "Man, those fans will be so excited when Ridley ends up as a boss on Pyrosphere!" Don't think that can't happen. It easily can be the case. You can still hold hope, because I'm sure anybody would for their favorite character. But I would certainly adjust expectations regarding the Direct. That's just my two cents.
I figured the only chance Ridley has is if Sakurai takes heed of fighting game conventions and makes him a boss character as well as an unlockable playable character.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
A silhouette is the character's shadow. It's quite obviously Ridley's silhouette. He was talking about BOSSES.

As I recall;
Sakurai Translator: "Bosses appear on other stages too."
Ridley's silhouette immediately after that comment seen on Pyrosphere. We have reason to believe that he is referring to Ridley, as I believe the Dark Emperor was shown RIGHT afterword. Also, perhaps Ridley's BOSS model isn't finished yet, so they just showed his silhouette.

Unfortunately for you this BS Theory has already been disproven.

You are to seriously think that a stage that's been shown since the announcement would have an Unfinished Stage Hazard?
Even Yellow Devil was shown then.

Yes the said "Other Boss Characters Will Appear too"
BUT, you give me the exact time Ridley's NAME was mentioned.

Long Story Short,

It wasn't.

BS Reasoning aside we didn't even SEE him.

It would take a pretty simple mind to not find something odd with that.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

You are to seriously think that a stage that's been shown since the announcement would have an Unfinished Stage Hazard?

Long Story Short,

It wasn't.

Believe it or not, trite, I see your point. BUT!
A silhouette is just as viable. Dark Emperor's name was also not mentioned, yet his fate is obvious.
And YES, I believe it MAY have an unfinished stage hazard. EVERYTHING is SUBJECT TO CHANGE, and when he SAID an old foe of Samus' may appear at any second, he MAY have been referring to the fact they were WORKING on him.. NOT TO MENTION THE FACT SAKURAI IS KNOWN TO TROLL HIS FANS WITH FALSE HOPE!

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
I have a feeling that Ridley's situation is going to be the case for K. Rool too, even with the acknowledgement of the Kremlings.
Prepare for the hate attacks. I made that same notion before and got steamrolled by K Rool fans.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
With all this Shulk discussion, I should probably consider playing Xenoblade because I don't really care for Shulk's inclusion.
I think Dixie will be revealed during E3, and I doubt K. Rool will be playable. Just a gut feeling, and a bad one. . .

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Long Story Short,

It wasn't.

So because he didn't mention Ridley by name, he's not a stage hazard? Even though his tail shows up whilst flying? We DID see him in that video. We saw his tail. That is inarguable.

We can't know if he's not finished. We don't know why he wasn't completely shown. But what should be EXPECTED with this information, is that Ridley is a stage hazard/Boss Fight character on Pyrosphere. His only chance would be if he's a boss and a playable character.

Your side of it doesn't disprove anything. It's an assumption. The objective information we have here, is that Ridley was referenced in a section based on Stage Hazard Bosses. This hurts his chances. It would hurt any characters chances. If Palutena was hinted at as an Assist Trophy, footage referencing her as an Assist Trophy would certainly hurt her chances as playable. The same applies to Ridley. He is not a special case.

Last edited:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice

Long Story Short,

It wasn't.

You're kinda suggesting that Sakurai wouldn't purposely hold off on info concerning stages, which isn't the case at all. Let's look at the Punch Out stage for example.

• E3 2013: We get a look at the Smash Boxing Ring stage.
  • About a month later: You can use the ropes around the ring to improve your jumps.
  • Feb Nintendo Direct: Little Mac reveal showing the stage has been changed to a Punch Out Stage.
  • 2 weeks later: Sakurai reveals that there are 2 versions of this stage.
  • Just a few days ago: Sakurai informs us that you can use the ropes to jump onto the lights up above and can cause the lights to come crashing down.

My point is that Sakurai purposely holds off on things. I understand that you guys want to hold onto the idea that Ridley can be playable, but right now his chances are unlikely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom